Yea Forums BTFO

>“The hero generally gains little or no reward for his sacrifice — it is the community that gains,” wrote Howard Suber in “The Power of Film.” “To choose heroism is to choose pain, sacrifice, loss, and sometimes even death.” In “The Last Jedi,” the Star Wars saga grappled with the tragic underpinnings of the “hero’s journey” as it never had before.

>Forty years after the original, the saga grew up — and some of its fans couldn’t handle it. In this most mythic of Star Wars films, rendered in the boldest of cinematic strokes by Rian Johnson, there was no happily ever after for Luke Skywalker. But he does live up to the purest ideal of the Jedi: Like he does in his final battle with Darth Vader, he throws his lightsaber away, realizing that a sacrifice of himself will distract his enemies and allow his beloved “community” to survive. John Williams mixed leitmotifs from all seven of the previous films with Wagnerian panache — try not to rock out when “Rey’s Theme” propulsively dissolves into “Attack of the TIE Fighters” from “A New Hope” in the final battle – and DP Steve Yedlin lavished the color red on several key setpieces to create an explosion of emotion. It’s tempting to imagine what the movies would be like if more blockbusters shot for this level of ambition, beauty, and resonance. It’s almost unfathomable that one of this size was able to achieve it. —CB

Attached: LukeTLJ.jpg (1475x1976, 1.01M)

Luke sacrificed himself to save 10 people, who would have all died without Rey to lift those rocks anyway.

BRAVO RIAN

>he does live up to the purest ideal of the Jedi
Do you mean trying to murder a sleeping child, encouraging said child to become space Hitler, and then fucking off to an island while space Nazis take over the galaxy; all while blaming the Jedi philosophy instead of taking responsibility for his own actions?

Cause that sounds like the opposite of living up to Jedi ideals to me.

FWIW, that's pretty in-line with the actions of every jedi we've actually seen in the series.

the problem is Luke was better than the old Jedi that was his whole arc in ROTJ

>who would have all died without Rey
I never thought about this, but you're right. The movie just gets dumber and dumber every time you ponder it.

That's not in line with Luke's character.

This.

>FWIW

What the fuck am i on reddit

>Be Luke Skywalker
>Defeat the emperor, a demigod capable of shooting lightning from his fingers and seeing the future, on his superweapon capable of destroying planets, surrounded by a sizeable fraction of his Galaxy spanning fleet of warships
>Convince another demigod, the second most powerful man in the Galaxy and the emperor's right hand, to turn on his master because of some shred of goodness not even the emperor, a good among men, could foresee.
>The man so loyal to the emperor he murdered hordes of children, hunted down his peers in an organization that saved him from literal slavery, and prosecuted the coup that destroyed the former republic he had sworn to protect. You got him to kill the emperor knowing it would mean his own death
>After becoming the literal savior of the Galaxy open a school to teach the ancient mysticism of a 'force' that connects all living things
>Decide being a beacon of hope for a galaxy recovering from civil war and a potential Messiah sounds fucking gay and become a brittle, thoughtless, and murderous fuck masquerading as a teacher in the school you initially founded to pass on your Messianic teachings
>Instead of teaching your path of understanding and balance, you monitor kids' dreams for naughty thoughts
>Try to murder your fucking nephew in his sleep
>Get the shit kicked out of you by a literal child you've been teaching your martial religion so powerful it enabled men to assume control of the galaxy.
>Fuck off to some remote island, hiding from your sister, best friend, and a galaxy looking to you for leadership as it emerges from suffering
>Discover alien titty milk
>Allow a new emperor to sieze control of the galaxy you liberated, forcing your nephew into servitude analogous to what you freed your father from
>Suckle alien titty, let billions of people be murdered by new emperor
>Some bitch tries to give you back your father's lightsaber
>Throw that shit away. Don't mourn your dead best friend. Suck titty
>Die

sorry but no
I dont see what make him better then obiwan.

probably because obiwan is a stuck up faggot

Imagine shitting out drivel like this and not offing yourself out of shame

name one Jedi who abandoned his friends to die

and luke is whiny cunt

the fact that he didn't listen to obi-wans bs about how vader was beyond redemption, redeemed vader and defeated the emperor?

I miss old Luke.

Why did they have to go the ol' HE HAS DEPRESSION NOW? Such a character suicide. Luke is a chad.

You can convince the audience of depression, but let it be drawn out, seeing Luke grow up and grow cynical. If you want me to meet old man Luke, dont let it be like this.

That was my biggest gripe.

because Rian Johnson only watched ESB

I will never blame obiwan for believe that.
that cunt murdered his own brothers and sister and planets with billions of lives because he saw his wife die in a vision.
vader had to kill himself for this supposed redemption

If he watched ESB why did he make Yoda act completely out of character? I think he just watched a few clips on youtube.

It's called character development

Attached: tlj character development.jpg (1346x345, 100K)

>that pic
kek

he thought retard yoda wasn't an act

Attached: yoda.jpg (355x642, 103K)

>“The hero generally gains little or no reward for his sacrifice
No this is wrong. The hero is selflesss and asks for no reward, doesn't seek personal gain. But the community actually aknowledges his heroism and gives him the reward he deserves. That is in good stories.
In nu-wars, the hero gets disgraced, his exploits dimminished and then he gets killed like a bitch. All this to promot a new generation of stronk empowered wemen who doesn't need no men or experience or training. Girl power fantasy

HAVE YOU SEEN STAR WARS

Attached: 1563969792355.png (1911x1061, 1.35M)

> the saga grew up
> most mythic of Star Wars films
>the boldest of cinematic strokes
>John Williams mixed leitmotifs from all seven of the previous films with Wagnerian panache
>try not to rock out
>Yedlin lavished the color red on several key setpieces to create an explosion of emotion
> this level of ambition, beauty, and resonance
Now see, I'm not an Yea Forumsirgin who acts like this film is the spawn of satan but hyperbolic shit like this baffles me. The film is, at best, "ok." Why retard reviwers get off out of making out that a mediocre space wars film is a benchmark for cinematic achievement I'll never know. I cannot fathom it being anything other than disney shillery or pathetic libs trying to trigger the incels.
Fucking Star Wars is major battleground in the culture wars. We truly are living in a fallen society.

>star wars is a major battle in the culture wars
We live in the strangest times.
>tfw no Wagnerian panache

>In “The Last Jedi,” the Star Wars saga grappled with the tragic underpinnings of the “hero’s journey” as it never had before.
No it didn't. It undermined it completely and injected marxist dogma instead.

That's the most bizarre quote in the review. It's probably John Williams' most lackluster score.

bump

Nah, TLJ's score is definitely better than TFA's.

>I am the spark
>That lights the fire
>That cooks the chicken wings

Attached: 4L_a27NpshK.jpg (1400x907, 232K)

bump

And who would presumably not have died if Finn had been allowed to make a sacrifice himself. Instead, his aspiring girlfriend opted for a crash that would've resulted in both of their deaths anyway to slam him out of the danger zone.

>introducing plots that subvert into nothingness
>ruin previous characters with new, nonsensical characterization
>no good scenes except for visual marvels (hole in ground, spaceship sword)

I like The Force Awakens. I don't hate the prequels. The Last Jedi was fucking atrocious. The scenes are awful. The characters are awful. Mark Hammill carried the movie and his scenes were still boring. It had no pacing. It had no one to root for.

Never let a gentile director do a major episode of Star Wars again. That shit was fucking stupid.

Attached: 1547809215134.png (460x1022, 936K)

>The hero generally gains little or no reward for his sacrifice
But that bullshit. The reward for the hero's valor is that he gets to have sex with the maiden. Thats why they do it. Its to get laid. Also why female heroes dont make sense.