ITT: Cinematic masterpieces

What films do you all consider actual masterpieces of film? Persona has the title in my opinion.

Attached: A919CF20-6173-498C-9BC0-7127C1371BFF.jpg (1200x675, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uKUChOwam_M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ocean's eleven

i hate persona (and vertigo before someone inevitably brings it up)
the last laugh from murnau is a cinematic masterpiece for me because its a 10/10 film without sound or title cards

>OP is in his Bergman, Kurosawa and Tarkovsky phase
>when he should be in D.W. Griffith, Frit Lang, F. W. Murnau, Buster Keaton territory by now
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO NO LOOK AT THIS DUDE... How's film school?

Attached: unequivocal quinoa.jpg (302x445, 36K)

I'm at the entry level and you're in pretentious faggot territory. I couldn't imagine allowing obscurity to dictate my taste.

>the films i currently pretend to understand are the patrician choice
>there's no way someone could say the exact same thing to me using another set of names
fucking kill yourself get out of here with that ivory tower bullshit
imagine actually giving a shit what someone is currently watching

You started it first with such a pretentious thread. Someone needed to check your shit.
>I'm at the entry level
At least he admits my prediction was 100% accurate.
>I couldn't imagine allowing obscurity to dictate my taste.
Oh no he's retarded and a Dog Fucker
Anons will be along with the QRD.

t. Dog Fucker
Name your best film. Inb4 Citizen Kane

is the dog fucker thing saying i watch the movie sucks guy? i don't but you already used that epic insult here and i already stated mine here

why is discussing great works pretentious?
>retarded and a Dog Fucker
what in the fuck are you on about?

Daily reminder that a true patrician embraces film in its totality, from Hollywood blockbusters to foreign art house films.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Die Nibelungenlied: Kriemhild's Revenge
City Girl
Freaks
Gold Diggers of 1933
Modern Times
The Rules of the Game
Gone with the Wind
Fantasia
Children of Paradise
Bicycle Thieves
Late Spring
Singin' in the Rain
Ordet
Funny Face
The Sound of Music
Planet of the Apes
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Fantastic Planet
Jesus Christ Superstar
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Alien
The Muppet Movie
The Sacrifice
She's Gotta Have It
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Madadayo
The Lion King
Whisper of the Heart
Ghost in the Shell
Eyes Wide Shut
Barking Dogs Never Bite
Happy Times
Spirited Away
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Tokyo Godfathers
Moolaade
Inland Empire
The Edge of Heaven
The Illusionist
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
A Silent Voice
Blade Runner 2049
Night is Short, Walk on Girl
An Elephant Sitting Still

You're both dog fuckers then.
>ocean's 11
Neither versions were good.
>starts thread with entry level film school shit
>calls it a masterpiece secretly hoping people would agree
>Gets BTFO by someone more knowledgeable
>can't concede, and acts butthurt because of ignorance and bruised ego

True. I enjoy watching Uwe Bolle shit too for example.

Someone posted before you disagreeing with me and I didn't even question them. What makes you think postulating about my "secretly hoping people would agree" will make it seem true? I conceded right away that I'm not knowledgeable about film. I don't feel I need to be to recognize great films either but I'm sure you'll contest me on that. π

Attached: Cloud-Atlas-copertina-colonna-sonora-artwork.jpg (1205x1205, 342K)

>gatekeeping Yea Forums

simpsons season 11 episode 5

Don't worry, embrace the bully. That's how you learn.
Otherwise, return to r/films and youtube.

Superior Ullmannkino coming through

Attached: utvandrarna.png (540x319, 422K)

>D.W. Griffith, Frit Lang
If you think these are pretentious, then you're absolutely retarded, because Bergman is way more pretentious.

Persona is one of the greatest films of all time, if not THE greatest
Other masterpieces- Satantango, Weekend, The Mirror

Fanny and Alexander is a masterpiece.

Attached: patina.jpg (1920x1080, 399K)

When did I say their choices were pretentious? Their behavior is pretentious and pathetic.

Vertigo
Fanny and Alexander
Paris, Texas
The Red Shoes
Bicycle Thieves
China Town
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Double Life of Veronique
Apocalypse Now
Ratatouille

If you think my behavior was pretentious, then you have no self-awareness. Finish with your entry level art house, and watch Birth of a Nation, Metropolis, and Intolerance, then tell me who's more pretentious.
Get dabbed on, and go fuck a dog.

>A Silent Voice
Almost 10/10 list

>The Lion King
dude it JUST came out. i think it's a little early to declare it a masterpiece.

For me it's pic related

Attached: Au Hasard Balthazar.jpg (1000x1500, 233K)

Just to name some favorites:

The Three Colours Trilogy
The Double Life of Veronique
A Brighter Summer Day
Hou Hsiao-Hsien 's Taiwanese History Trilogy
Only Yesterday
Spirit of the Beehive
El Sur (shame Erice stopped making features)
The Battle of Algiers
Cria Cuervos
Fanny and Alexander
The Mirror
Bergman's Trilogy of Faith
The Gospel According to St. Matthew

Fuck u memer

Կոմիտաս (Ասկարյան, 1988)
ボクサ(寺山修司, 1977)
Al primo soffio di vento (Piavoli, 2002)
వాల్మీకి (దుంగన్, 1945)
Игpoк (Бaтaлoв, 1972)
Galini (Markopoulos, 1958)
香雪海 (費, 1934)
O Desafio (Saraceni, 1966)
ምርት ሦስት ሺህ ዓመት (ገሪማ, 1976)
Ko puca otvorice mu se (Babac, 1965)

you cant be that pretentious unironically

>Ratatouille
Wtf? Kys
Great list ruined

based, if someone doesn't have at least one of those directors in his top 5 i cant take him seriously

>Finish with your entry level art house and watch all of these entry level films
I've seen all of those and love every one, what's your point?

this is true, i'd much rather see some cool and fun mainstream film or cheesy b horror mixed into someone's favorite list than persona or fucking citizen kane

>all of these entry level films
Pioneering is not entry level.
D.W. Griffith = Honest Filmmaking
Bergman, Kurosawa, Tarkovsky = Dishonest Filmmaking

for me its balthazar and diary together. suffering a purity

Attached: vice_2006.jpg (3840x1602, 518K)

Attached: 9CF49337-579A-4080-A3ED-67118E594906.jpg (334x500, 50K)

This isn't about enjoyment. You can enjoy trash movies. This is about what qualifies as a masterpiece. You have a few masterpieces on your list, but mostly lesser films, like all of the animation.

>persona was such a masterpiece guys! im really looking forward to watching more films from bergman, he really is a master filmmaker like no other!

Attached: 324234223432.jpg (1440x900, 501K)

ah don ge it

Attached: dongetit.jpg (1200x675, 49K)

lmao based

... yes?

this

do I watch theatrical or directors cut?

'Entry level' means it's among the more well-known works of its kind. It has nothing to do with whether the work is "dishonest" or not.

wrong

Typically people watch the new wave art house before the pioneering classics, so no, Griffith, Lang, etc. are NOT entry level today.

t. Nu Art House basedboy

— «METROPOLIS» (1927).

— «DER SIEBENTE KONTINENT».

— «71 FRAGMENTE EINER CHRONOLOGIE DES ZUFALLS».

— «OPFERGANG».

— «ATARASHIKI TSUCHI»/«DIE TOCHTER DES SAMURAI».

— «OLYMPIA»-

— «TRIUMPH DES WILLENS».

— «L'ATALANTE».

— «INNOCENCE».

— «ALATRISTE».

— «ORIANA».

— «SILENCE» (2016).

— «THE MESSENGER: THE STORY OF JOAN OF ARC».

— «FRATELLO SOLE, SORELLA LUNA».

— «THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST».

— «APOCALYPTO».

— «LA CORONA PARTIDA».

— «IRREVERSIBLE».

— «CABEZA DE VACA».

— «ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU CHOU».

— «HANA TO ARISU».

— «WAGA SEISHUN NI KUINASHI».

— «2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY».

— «THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS».

— «KAIRO».

ET CETERA; THE LIST COULD GO ON...

Attached: SERGIO, Y ORIANA.png (1280x800, 821K)

Best Movie
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Actress

You all know this is a masterpiece.

Attached: MV5BNjNhZTk0ZmEtNjJhMi00YzFlLWE1MmEtYzM1M2ZmMGMwMTU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg (2011x2968, 1.66M)

Yes

No, it's enjoyable, but it's a meme. Contact is the better Foster Film.

You're actually trying to claim that fucking Contact is a better film than Silence of the Lambs?

Holy shit, will I be glad when summer vacation is over.

>what qualifies as a masterpiece
Roger Ebert, one of the most influential film critics of all time, thought that Jaws and Star Wars: A New Hope were masterpieces.

please eh. its a fun thriller with a good character

the new hope is a masterpiece, and actually miles better than the hidden fortress. good example of something being extremely accessible and still a masterpiece. ebert was a retard tho and he basically ruined late spring for alot of people by not understanding the complexity and making it about muh oppressive traditions. and he gave the thing 3/4 rating

I love Bergman, but Persona is one of my least favorite Bergman films. I thought Lynch did this type of story better with Mulholland Drive.

Look at this reddit fag and spacing. Yes, Contact is the better Foster Film. Maybe even the better film overrall.

Oh, now I get it. You're all just a bunch of pretentious, wanna-be movie snobs.
A movie can't be a masterpiece if anyone has heard of it.
It has to be some fucking black and white foreign film about gay cowboys eating pudding.
What a bunch of faggots.

Was it difficult to post this with your boyfriend's cock in your mouth?

lol pleb

watch Manhunter

The Emmigrants & The New Land are incredible films. It's so interesting seeing Liv Ulman & MVS in a film that is distinctly not-Bergman. She said it was the best thing she ever did.

So tell us why it's a masterpiece. Protip: You can't redditor.

You sound like such a bitter and unpleasant person to be around.

to the absolute abortion of a poster flaming this thread please start tripping so you can be filtered

I've seen Manhunter, dumbass. Fucking 80s, Michael Mann trash. It's like watching a special two-hour episode of Miami Vice. Two hours of dogshit.

Garbage taste,off yourself.

>I've seen Manhunter, dumbass. Fucking 80s, Michael Mann trash.
Calm down sperg. just trying to give a suggestion.

He's right though.
Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece.

Literally none of the directors he picked are that obscure

I understand that your knowledge of movies is limited in Jr High School. I won't judge you too harshly. Your taste will improve as you gain life experience.

>gay cowboys eating pudding
Sounds like a sweet flick tbqhfam

Attached: 1556308094122.jpg (275x183, 8K)

Have you seen the original Star Wars, as in, without the remasters and re-edits?

I am. Go back.
lol first day on Yea Forums?

Dog fuckers, please leave the thread.

Attached: images.jpg (373x135, 15K)

Kneel before me.

bigger for eyelets

Attached: 1533049995150.png (900x327, 294K)

Citizen Kane is overrated trash

>obscurity
Those are literally the most famous directors of all time.

>Spirited Away
>The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
>Tokyo Godfathers
>Moolaade
>Inland Empire
>The Edge of Heaven
>The Illusionist
>The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
>A Silent Voice
>Blade Runner 2049
>Night is Short, Walk on Girl
>An Elephant Sitting Still
hahahahahhaAHHAHAHHAhahahaHAHAHAHHAHAhahahahhahahahahaahhaHAHAHAA
All the other stuff you have fucking Best Of lists to guide your generic Americentric fucking entry level taste and then when you have to decide for yourself and go contemporary you do this shit L M A O.

He's just b8ing

Oldfag here. I saw Star Wars in the theatre in 1977.

Heh.

cringe

>Americentric
not seeing a problem there

Bergman:
DUDE SOAP OPERA TIER FAMILY DRAMA PLOTS FILMED IN BLACK AND WHITE AND SLOW BURN WITH BIG CLOSE UPS FOR THOSE EPIC DRAMATIC STILLS
What a dishonest hack. If you like bergman, you're an absolute sheep NPC pleb who fell for "critics" and reviews.

How was it?

Fucking Awesome!

I think genre films and comedies can be masterpieces and I think some contemporary simple interpersonal character dramas are on par with the greatest such films of the past like Ozu/Bergman tier. So here's some drama, comedy, thrillers, sci-fi, documentary etc.

Winter Sleep
Certain Women
Still Walking
Secret Sunshine
The Act of Killing
A Separation
Four Lions
Snowtown
Tangerine
Thelma

Not a list of my favourite films, just a list, but a few are and I think they're all masterpieces. I'd put some older films on my favourite films list too, and I wouldn't ever say a film is 'the greatest' if i didn't love watching it, more than anything else, including 'low brow' films. So I'd never say Welles films for example are 'the greatest' as I just didn't love watching them that much but I would say some (but not all, not Persona because I had to stop and masturbate which is a flaw imo, not Seventh Seal) Bergman films are both -the greatest- and my favourite, like Through a Glass Darkly, Scenes from a Marriage, and Summer with Monika.

Chomet's illusionist (what i assume he means), Night is Short, Walk on Girl, and Spirited Away are seminal masterpieces though. Kaguya and Tokyo Godfathers definately are not (the latter is daytime tv melodrama tier, and Only Yesterday is far better than Kaguya).

Attached: waterfowl.jpg (956x1280, 491K)

Spirited Away is -fine-. I don't know why people pick it out of Miyazaki's stuff as "the best" so commonly. The Wind Rises is probably a better film. Things like Ponyo more childlike and fun. Porco Rosso is my personal favourite.
Illusionist and NiSWoG are both meme shit tho please get some fucking taste.

It's interpersonal character drama at its best. But I didn't really 'get' either Seventh Seal or Persona when I first watched them. I enjoyed them but it was more like historical filmmaking interest than being really engrossed like how a great movie should totally pull you in.

Give yourself a chance to be wrong, because you're missing out.

Interpersonal character drama is the core of any film masterpiece. Films which do not focus on it, and focus instead on 'art' or lofty themes and ideas, are incredibly pointless and boring. The rest of what you often get can be great, say a big action plot, a lofty high concept, whatever. But Bergman films strip it back and go 100% at the human experience.

Hadn't read the first part of your post lol. A Separation ahahahaha ohhhh nononoonon Tangerine AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA look at this dude

>it's old, foreign, b&w, slow and uneventful, therefore it's friggin kino

Attached: Gtspiderman+on+ps4+_f89c23d48b69cbf59cf7b856e00cae80.gif (326x192, 41K)

The Nausicaa manga is his true magnum opus.
Porco Rosso & Only Yesterday are my favourites.
I think Spirited Away & Mononoke are his best films.

I could talk about why The Wind Rises is flawed for a long time but lets not get into that.

I think my favourite thing about Spirited Away is how it drags you into this world, the setting of the Onsen, and the predicament they're in. And it is engrossing, and relatively frantic. But then Chihiro leaves the Onsen, and goes on the train, and the film takes a breath. It's like you're in an amazing place, and then you find a calmer place within that place which you never expected. I think that breath in the film is the most masterful beautiful pause for reflection in any film i've ever seen.

And fight me about Yuasa and Chomet. They're geniuses.

kino

Attached: images - 2019-07-21T133527.528.jpg (182x268, 18K)

>Films which do not focus on it, and focus instead on 'art' or lofty themes and ideas, are incredibly pointless and boring
Lmao. Petty drama is the most pointless. It's SOAP tier.
Lynch is a better memer.

>films I haven't seen are bad because they're about Iranians/Trannys who are the reason why society and thus my life is so awful

the irony is that Tangerine is the kind of classic-style throwback hollywood comedy, but done right, which is probably right up your alley and aside from the subject matter has extraordinarily wide appeal. It's not a slow art film at all.

Attached: Ladies-laughing-.jpg (2365x2057, 656K)

If you think character drama is pointless then 99% of film will go over your head and you probably don't enjoy your life much either because relating to other people is what makes that good too.

Freddy Got Fingered

Obscure to anyone who has sex on the reg.

yes the despecialized editions

Manhunter was better

Make up a term and stick with it. You can't keep changing terms and accuse me with it.
>what? you dont' like soap opera?
>what do you mean you don't like interpersonal drama
>huh? you don't want character drama?
>you don't like characters?
KYS. You admitted yourself you didn't really enjoy bergmen, but watched it because it's "film history" like you're obligated to like it.
You're the type of NPC that should go back to youtube video essays and r/films.

I never said soap opera and Bergman films are definitively not soap operas or even like soap operas. They are not particularly melodramatic, they rarely revolve and whether characters will or won't get together, they are not ongoing and serial and they often focus on very dark themes like mental illness which you would not see in a daytime soap.

Interpersonal drama and character drama are the same thing and I never said you didn't like characters at all.

Nor did I say that I dislike Bergman, only that the first couple of films of his that I watched didn't really click with me. Others definitely did, and I mentioned them and I said why I loved them.

You're just making up nonsense. Your entire post is a disingenuous lie.

i think bergman had many different interests. i dont like the "soap operas" too much either, but his films that are mainly concerned with god, death, religion, existentialism etc are much more interesting and really good. they are also more symbolic while the interpersonal dramas are more dialogue focused

Bergman believed that existentialist thought was inherent to the human condition and any thinking feeling person would be consumed by it on some levels anyway. You can have that play out in the context of a family drama.

Say if you take Winter Light (first reformed is almost a remake of this if you haven't seen it) for example. Or any of the films in that trilogy (some of his best). They all heavily focus on existential themes, but at their heart also have great character drama which gives those themes a context to be explored.

Take another film about god, death, religion, existentialism etc: A Serious Man. That still has brilliant character drama and family dynamics at its core.

Very rarely, possibly never, will you find a Bergman film where he is disinterested in character drama. I think you're missing out if you don't appreciate that and merely watch his films for the lofty themes. I don't understand how you are not bored by them.

im bored by relationship problems, i unironically cant relate.

lol that sucks
maybe unironically hs dude so you can properly appreciate bergmankino

is having sex really worth it just for bergman?

Attached: 3243243243.jpg (500x750, 53K)

>The Nausicaa manga is his true magnum opus.
Yes, and it isn't great either.
>Yuasa
No.

Stinsen Brinner
youtube.com/watch?v=uKUChOwam_M