HBO The Golden Compass

Is this a joke?

youtube.com/watch?v=1yuIE1OYnVI

Attached: maxresdefault-22.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.cgsociety.org/t/his-dark-materials-prague-fair-tobias-trebeljahr-2d/1537002
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where's Craig and Nicole?

Attached: 1.jpg (396x594, 77K)

JUST

Are they reusing a bunch of harry potter sets here?

Look at 0:30, 0:34

You're a day late OP.
While you were cavorting with your normie friends yesterday afternoon we already discussed this to death and unanimously decided it was pretty good.

When did they even made this? Didn't know that this was in production and now the trailer just drops. Nice marketing, hbo

Girl from the movie was way hotter

These young adult books are all the same, no reason why the film and television adaptations shouldn't also be the same.

Attached: 1501249392811.jpg (1118x1683, 1.12M)

uhh I live in Europe. I was probably sleeping when this was disgusted.

I don't even know what it is but it looks good.

That's a very good cast but still, looks very uninteresting.

Very Diverse!
Very Nice!

It looks fucking awesome

Attached: banzai.jpg (3648x2736, 3.18M)

you havent seen this kino? was only cancelled because or religions freaks

Attached: TGCompass.jpg (220x282, 23K)

Just like the book series it doesn't truly kick off until the second book, when they get to Citagazze.

Based. Original film was kino.

Are they going to keep Lyra and Will having sex in the end?

The start of the book with comfy river wars with the kids and oxford in the rooftops and libraries and stuff is great.

I hope they give that atleast a full episode.

The moment where they find the severed kid was kino though. Pity the movie didn't make it justice.

they're all great, but
1 > 2 > 3

no spoilers. We are only at golden compass here.

Yeah.
God, I really want to see Cittagazze and Asriel's fortress and mulefas.

An amazing book so no fucking way in hell I'm even watching the trailer. It's always a huge disappointment.

Are they going to keep Will & Lyra's amibiguous maybe sex/ definitely sin/Dust reset scene at the end?

Not trying to be paranoid but the way this post is formated makes me think that it's marketing.

trying to trigger crybabies here is a solid marketing strategy.

POLAR BEAR KINO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Was cancelled because the series' author is an edgy fedora-tipper.

Pullman may be consciously an atheist but the books are really about a pantheistic view of the world.

HBO just KILLED IT with a My Brilliant Friend adaptation.
Probably better than the book even.

Attached: 1535959170-getty-20180902173140-27185881.jpg (1500x998, 357K)

Yeah, if it weren't for religious freaks Hollywood would have loved to make two more flops.

HIs Dark Materials is way more in depth and complex than harry potter, it's superior literature

His Dark Materials is not that type of formulaic shit.

christcucks didn't get it cancelled but trying to appease them did ruin it somewhat. They toned it down a lot.

hbo needs a new series now that got is finished. wouldn't surprise me if half this thread was marketing to drum up interest.

All I remember about this book series as a kid is it starts off like any typically young adult fantasy adventure and by the end of the third book its full jrpg killing god
Pretty radical, I wonder if it holds up at all

FUCK YEAH

FUCK YEAH

FUCK YEAH

FUCK YEAH

LET ME HEAR IT!!!

FUCK YEAH

11 YEARS LATER FOLKS

FUCKING 11 YEARS LATER AND WE HAVE IT !!!

FUCK YEAH IM EXCITED!!

Attached: 1542775379263.png (1172x675, 32K)

I don't care either way. If anything belongs on a television board, it's discussion of HBO shows.

>These young adult books are all the same
Harry Potter is unique in its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects though, some might even say it's the dullest franchise

The first book really doesn't have much to offend Christfags.
No one even understands Dust yet.

Yea while the book series doesn't get 'epic' until the second book when it's revealed that our modern day world is part of the same multiverse the first book always remains the favourite once you finish them all, as is the case with most other fantasy series.

I hope they readapt the Sally Lockhart series after this, because that was a good series as well.

K
I
N
O

IS

B
A
C
K

ON

T
H
E

MENU

B
O
Y
S

DEH!

will the pozz this childers series ? what do you tink

What does make you think hiromoot's imageboard have any importance?

I don't think I ever read that.
Bartimaeus Sequence & The Edge Chronicles are the other fantasy series i remember most fondly from when i was a kid.

wow that may be the worst thing i have ever seen in my entire life

I would say the first book is a children's book with a surprisingly hardcore ending. It shocked me when I first read it.
The next two books, while they could be called YA, are more properly called literature, or at least sci-fi.
YA is a bullshit genre invented to talk down to teenagers and for some reason keep them from reading adult books.
Not every book with a teenage protagonist is YA, and these books in particular are too well written for that genre.

eat the cold end of a double gauge shotgun barrel, k thanks

got and true detective had huge followings here. makes sense to keep it up. and it's a lot easier/cheaper than it would be on a site like reddit where new accounts shilling stuff look bad

that little actress is just so fucking ugly, it takes me out of everything shes in.

t. 13 year old girl

The prose isn't great. It's definitely not a strength. And the way that most literary 'adult' novels are written would simply confuse and slow down a younger reader.

In terms of the story and themes and everything else, it's just great fantasy, there's no age on it. And I think anyone could enjoy it.

in all honesty. this series deserved a boot up after the 2007 bullshit fiasco. It's hard to believe that that religion was even a factor back then.

I'm team golden compass.

oh, a remake of the golden compass?
i dig it, I liked the idea of armored bears killing eachother for power

Not tempted a bit, gonna go read the books and get anything else Pullman wrote since then

It's better than a remake, but a continuation.

I'd definitely class it with average sci-fi or a bit better in terms of writing.
Pullman isn't Tolkien, but he's at least as good as Herbert or LeGuin.

The his dark materials prequels aren't great. I read the first one.

what? there are prequels?

Ur name no longer Lyra Belaq
Ur Lura Bigbobs now

Attached: parallel_universe_bigbobs.jpg (1482x1999, 579K)

WHO PLAYS KING IOREK

WHY WONT THEY TELL US

makes me think

Attached: 54368675443248.png (542x436, 324K)

Did the second already come out?
I agree... they lacked the same punch, but they were fun to read anyhow... like well written fanfic, and canon, I guess.

whats the shocking end of book 1? Im never gonna read it

I haven't read much fantasy since I was a kid so I can't really say. But I did re-read LOTR and The Hobbit quite recently and almost stopped.

That's REALLY not well written.

This is compared to literary adult fiction. It's not the strength of it though. The strength is the worldbuilding.
I enjoyed them but not nearly as much as when I was a kid. My ability to just totally lose myself in the world of a book has diminished. Being a kid is pretty awesome.
However as an adult I can appreciate poetry and prose and interpersonal drama far better.

Yeah that's basically how i feel. I do kind of regret reading it though, it sullied my memory somewhat.

The tv series can't do that though. The movie certainly didn't.

I'm almost afraid to ever re-read the trilogy incase it doesn't hold up. I think i'll wait until i have kids and then hope they're smart and read it to them when they're a bit too young and fuck them up a bit. That seems fun.

>LOTR

I started reading the first book...
Stupid songs, stupid pointless filler like making supper or so shit...
No thanks. Stopped reading.

Good, LOTR is for white people only.

lol i actually don't mind the abysmal pacing and mountains of needless filler and the songs at all

it's more the prose that brings it down for me

A character who is expected to be a savior of sorts, and has previously acted as a good, moral man of integrity, suddenly kills a child to power his machine, and the book ends pretty abruptly.

What's the right age to read a smart kid this anyway?
5?
7?

I'm white person.

cant deal with bad pacing. why put your time into something that is boring?

nice

I read it to my son at 12 yo, and he immediately took the books and read them again. Their read aloud value is quite good.

Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag Christfag

about suicide, I hope

looks pretty good desu

I'm genuinely excited for this. The movie didn't feel right to be left off the way it did.

Attached: 1558897313052.jpg (639x486, 28K)

>why put your time into something that is boring?
The world-building and characters are so fantastic that if you immerse yourself in it then it doesn't matter if nothing is happening.

It's like why I rewatch the extended editions, they're objectively worse films and (aside from faramir's plot) the cut stuff adds nothing, and just fucks up the pacing, but i just prefer having more of it because I like spending time with the setting and world and the characters even if they're just singing stupid songs or doing helecopter shots over forests or joking about stew.

>I'm white person.
clearly not

First book could maybe be read at 10yo, but to really understand certain things, at least 12.
I mean honestly, better 14, but most kids aren't letting you read to them at 14.

>word building
lmao

I from europe. Also trolling a bit with my spelling but truth be told my English is a bit wonky.

It should have ended with Roger being killed , obviously.
Asriel's dangerousness was never quite felt.

yeah i'm cutting them off at 10, at the latest.
they can read their own fucking books after that.
probably all cynical as shit and make fun of my voices and don't deserve storytime anyway at that point.

I'm thinking 7 is the right age. I don't care if stuff goes over their head.

12-14 to read to themselves, yeah, sounds right.

Here's what will go over their head
sexual and romantic feelings, ideas of free will, and the idea that "sin" is a term used to put down and discourage knowledge and creativity.
You can read it to them, but they won't get it, they will be bored, and you will have wasted a potentially excellent learning and mind opening experience by jumping the gun.
You want to read a 7 year old Anna Karenina? Come on.

I feel like you needed to have had a Christian upbringing in order for the series to have any impact at all, so even if you're reading it to your kids at an age where they should understand concepts, the whole rebellion against heaven is something that would go over their heads, unless you're also reading them stories from the bible as educational lessons on theology or morality.
If you're raising your kids as Christian you wouldn't really read them these books anyway.
I think the books are something that need to be discovered on their own. Keep a copy in your house but don't really encourage them to read it outside of saying it's a good series and be done with it. If they can pick it up, read it and appreciate it then good. If they can't then so be it.

Attached: 1563641129356.jpg (1940x2944, 1.58M)

wtf are you even talking about region aint real

Why do people think this shit for kids is good?

maybe 7 is a little too young. Lyra is 11 and that is probably the intended age.
However a 7 year old absolutely understands the concept of romantic attraction, as it's in almost every story ever told/shown to them and (hopefully) on display between their parents every day.
Hell even the themes around about sin aren't totally alien or incomprehensible either, although much of it would be, especially to a secular kid.

I'm really jumping the gun here anyway lol.

Not what he was talking about dumb defensive fedora

looks like kino desu

I simply don't value stories primarily for their potential in teaching lessons. His Dark Materials is first and foremost a grand adventure with a brave child and if anything can be learnt from it, it is to be brave, and to have adventures.

The rest may as well not even matter.
As an adult I don't find any of the themes or ideas interesting any longer either, but I do enjoy the adventure.

>rebelion against religion

right... go ahead and fight all powerful deity lol

Genuinely why is there NO good atheist literature? All the greats like dostoevsky were religious, meanwhile atheist literature is all in your face for kids shit like this?

Attached: F4DF4C15-D719-41BB-98CE-050158517EC6.jpg (1242x1359, 1.15M)

A 7 year old understands love, yes, but if he is developing properly, sexual and romantic feeling are latent until much older.
Look, why don't you read the books, have kids, and then decide.

The point of the books is to make a connection between rebelling against religion IRL and the war against heaven in the book. It’s extremely obvious and dull imagery but most fedora lit is

Because it is. Congratulations on not enjoying it though, you must be fun at parties

>y-you must be m-miserable if you don’t like what I do!!
yikes

what's wrong with religion irl? if it doesn't harm anyone and bring people peace and happiness there is no harm.

Read an actual book instead of fedora Harry Potter, this trash isn’t even on watership downs level and that’s still a kids novel

No, because the theme is free will and rebellion against control.
Another good reason to read with an older kid, imo, as these feelings are alien to most kids until they are older.

should I read the books? I remember watching the first movie and liking it alot but the script seemed confusing and rushed like they had to cut big chunks of it

Come on lad, you're simply triggered by the messaging.

I guess if you are angry about being brought up with it? Even then it shouldn’t effect your adult life. As I said, it’s just boring and in your face fedora theming that amounts to very little. I guess you can criticise religions that actively cause war but this is aimed at christianity

I'm criticizing your taste, not your spelling

I’ve read all sorts of books with eye rolling messages like camus and love his work, this shit is just banal. It’s not good. Read an actual book uneducated fedorafag

>I can't risk putting myself out there since stacey laughed at my acne in 1997, better look for the worst in everything to protect myself from having to care
keep memeing fag

You're being a little sensitive. Who cares what it 'means'? It's a fantasy adventure.
I like The Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe and Tolkien a lot even though i'm not religious.

Not necessarily: there are secular controlling organizations: for instance a public school.
I think the core belief being taught is more political. See how Asriel establishes the Republic of Heaven. It is anti-dictatorial and pro-personal freedom.

Do you even like Fantasy though?
As a piece of adult literary fiction, it's not good, I agree.
It's great as Fantasy though.

>fedora fedora fedora fedora fedora
lol you actually are upset about this aren't you? You haven't read these books at all cos your church group banned em

No I’m not, please don’t butt in to fedoraspout at me, I couldn’t care less about the message it’s the shitty delivery of it. Read some real literature you pseud for the love of god

correct.

Yes ignore the content of my posts to focus on one memeword, wow you are truly a master at debate

I literally read this when I was 9 bro.

You're exceptionally insecure to act superior about 'real literature' when discussing fantasy and a tv show.

I think dosto is a bit too high brow for people who read stuff like this

>I read it when I was 9
>it’s good
lol

It's got Dirty Ruth Wilson in. I'm sold.

There isn't any content there buddy. You haven't given any arguments at all in any of the posts I've replied to
>watership down is better
so you liked a book about rabbits. This commends you as a mature and thoughtful induvidual
>HDM is trash
Not an argument
>fedora fedora fedora
meme meme meme
Try referencing a single scene, character or theme from the book and mention how it could have been done better

Is the Vatican going to sabotage this series like they sabotaged the books and movie too?

when did HBO stop trying?

>Do you even like Fantasy though?
>As a piece of adult literary fiction, it's not good, I agree.
>It's great as Fantasy though.
now you're just being asinine lad

Pullman himself said he had nothing against religion, but his criticism is directed specifically towards 'organized religions', in his case most likely the Catholic Church. Stealing children, robbing them of their innocence and souls etc is basically what the Catholic Church did to children worldwide with the whole molestation and physical abuses and even deaths that were covered up in strict catholic schools in the UK and Ireland.
All the new agey Christian denominations of America fit the bill, as well as sex cults.
Nothing wrong with personal beliefs but once they become an organization nobody knows who runs, that asks for money that no one really knows goes where and start assembling giant megalithic structures then that's when it should be dissolved or at least taxed.

>STOP LIKING THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGS

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Did they sabotage the books?

Wow, you know when someone says a book is better it could be referencing the actual content, prose style, theming etc, I know you are a dummy but this goes beyond personal preference. On a technical level this series is shit.

Never?
you cunts have been saying this for years.

Watch Chernobyl & My Brilliant Friend & Barry

Attached: Gaia-Girace-e-Margherita-Mazzucco-Lila-e-LenĂ¹-Lamica-geniale-chi-sono.jpg (2364x1573, 776K)

watch out buddy, someone's going to reply to your post and mention a particular style of hat, prepare to be BTFO

You just described any government

fantasy series live and die on their world building, characters and stories

what you're doing is the equivalent of saying LOTR is shit.

should I read the books or not answer me faggots

Attached: 1562907839663.jpg (933x753, 51K)

Don't care about this story, but I'm happy because the previous adaptation was left unfinished.

if you like fantasy, fuck yes

This is so fucking dumb, lmao

Attached: file.png (1268x676, 1.06M)

You don't even understand the posts you're replying to m8. Go on, mention one single element of the book you thought was poorly executed. They're not perfect, I'm sure you can think of something, since you obviously read them and aren't just butthurt. What kind of technical problems has it got?

Holy shit this is how you spot an ignorant retard. Actually read tolkien and compare his writing to this shit. There’s a reason he’s revered and that’s becauss he builds a world not just with imagination but with technique and style. Again, his prose speaks for itself.

>robbing them of their souls

uhh lost me there

>implying he's read the book

Attached: amandla-stenberg-2.jpg (1220x2000, 369K)

As a preacher's kid raised in Pentecostal cults, I can confirm.

make one argument as to why the series is bad, kiddyfiddler.

Shit writing. I’m so sorry you can’t enjoy something that isn’t technically perfect, so you have to cope your way into believing it’s a masterpiece

Which is precisely why we should suffer as few of these organizations as possible. A central government is still a necessity, organized religions are not. Organized religions are also held to less accountability, has less transparency, and is given tax breaks for no reason.

ok then, I only remember the first movie vaguely, I think it was about people in antarctica stealing kid's familiars for some shit
it was kinda interesting but we never had a sequel

Deh!

Attached: long live deh king.jpg (819x461, 56K)

>could be
Ok, why don't you mention some specifics, pal.

>prose
look out guys, this guy knows the word "prose" and understands that it's somehow related to books!!!

Yes

Tolkien's prose is dogshit. There is/was a huge amount of criticism of it from the literary world. He's not universally revered for it at all. It's almost the opposite.

You're the one who mentioned HDM wasn't technically perfect. Ten fucking posts in and you still can't name a single specific problem. Come on kiddo, just a simple one. I'm in the second book on a re-read and I'm not overly keen on the structure right now, but I can't remember how this book ends. Maybe you can enlighten me since you're so smart

the movie is terrible in comparison.
like avatar legend of aang or dbz tier almost

A pork pie?

Genuine atheists don't think about god so why would they write about him

shit, I believe in kabbalah now

By that I mean kids that have lost all sense of self (character, desire, drive) and are essentially emotionally dead after suffering abuse, have PTSD, etc. Kids like Genie the feral child and Anneliese Michel.

The enemy in the series isn't God really, it's the Church.
The kids eventually meet God - he's being carried around in a glass coffin, when they open it up he turns to dust and blows away. Metratron is the real big bad

Here, critique this:
But Balthamos couldn't tell; he only knew that half his heart had been extinguished. He couldn't keep still: he flew up again, scouring the sky as if to seek out Baruch in this cloud or that, calling, crying, calling; and then he'd be overcome with guilt, and fly down to urge Will to hide and keep quiet, and promise to watch over him tirelessly; and then the pressure of his grief would crush him to the ground, and he'd remember every instance of kindness and courage that Baruch had ever shown, and there were thousands, and he'd forgotten none of them; and he'd cry that a nature so gracious could ever be snuffed out, and he'd soar into the skies again, casting about in every direction, reckless and wild and stricken, cursing the air, the clouds, the stars.

They already cast a nigger as Will so don't even bother watching this shit

But even the Authority wasn't the real Creator, but a fake.

Oh yeah, aren't there gay angels? Yea Forums isn't going to like that

Yeah, you DEFINITELY should not watch this series.
In fact, don't read the books either.

I mean, they can't have sex, so I don't know if they can actually be gay...

I actually think this is a really silly idea. I fucking hate Harry Potter because of how much people go on about him, I would guarantee if half the world thought he was real, insisted on telling kids at school to believe in him, asked for tax exempt status for churches set up in his name, I would be pissed off. Doesn't mean I believe Harry Potter exists.

Also to add to my post those are just some overt and extreme cases, but the effects of religion are often more insidous on the psyche. If you are raised on organized religion it's likely you are impaired by a lifelong sense of shame, you will never be normal or even know what it's like to be normal and unburdened by it. You could be successful in life but still not yourself as you could have been, unimpaired and with a more neutral and realistic view of the world.

agreed. her tits are huge now too.

The fact that Pullman said the Chronicles of Narnia is RACIST and DISPARAGING TO WOMEN and EVIL and IMMORAL. Fuck everything about this.

Therapy helps, but you're not wrong.
Add to that eschatology, and you've got me having a nervous breakdown at 18 because I never actually thought I would make it to adulthood.
I thought Jesus would come back first.

She'd be a better ms coulter than ruth wilson. good actress sure, but not exactly bewitching

That WASN'T in the BOOK, and you are APPARENTLY critiquing the WRITING, so please CRITIQUE the excerpt.

He's not wrong though.
Susan was denied heaven because she put on makeup or some shit. It's retardedly sexist.

hahahahahaha I finally got you
you haven't read the books because you got your feelings hurt. the chronicles of narnia is shit btw, not going to explain why

I didn't even read your discussion I just wanted to say fuck Pullman. I capitalized those things to get attention to my post and get (You)s so it worked. Cheers.

That's pretty funny, I've only read the first two books.

That was my first post in the thread, so you didn't get me. I didn't even read what you guys were talking about. I did however read the first book when I was 12, I dont remember shit tho. I didt like the first movie. Thanks for the (You)

This is funnier than it should be.

what an embarrassing climbdown
do not post again

That's not sexist btw, if anything it's against the sexualization of women.

My post clearly tells you I'm not the guy in the other replies so you and that fag should both be embarrassed.

You missed this one, where he insists that wasn't him, lmfao

Just one more (You) to tell you it's not impressive to brag about being ignorant and lazy, to jump to the defense of one series against another when you haven't actually read either of them, or to hate on someone smarter than you because their ideas made your feelings hurt

Hey retard.

Attached: replyingtoaretard.png (867x883, 56K)

women can do what they want you cishet shitlord

I read the first book when I was 12 and the first 2 books of Narnia. I wasn't trying to discuss the books, just mad that Pullman seems to be some woke faggot.

>retarded post
>retarded post
>retarded post
>back and forth conversation
>retard pinned
>retarded post
>hey that post is retarded!
>it wasn't me, though
Lol

Illiterate newfag.

>paint.jpg
wouldn't a fedora meme have been quicker, christfag

Any second now you can stop pretending to be a christ fag that gets ass blasted over some book
You're clearly not actually religious.

I'm not religious strawman-kun. Doesn't mean you need to like high and mighty faggots complaining a book about a talking lion is mean to women and that's EVIIIILLL! Literal SJW shitter.

>against the sexualization of women
Which is sexist. Women want the freedom to be sexual, they just don't want to be objectified.

Wasn't Susan a literal child? What if his point was kids shouldn't wear make up because that sexualizes them? I can't believe I'm arguing about objectification on fucking Yea Forums. At this point we might as well just share our tumblrs and reddit accounts.

Ok, well, you're boring.
I want religious strawman-kun back.

>edgy teenager reactionary
>muh SJW boogeyman over pointing our an obviously sexist aspect of Chronicles of Narnia
Truly outstanding

It would be nice if we could have a thread about the book and the upcoming tv adaptation without you getting your feelings hurt about some comments made by someone much smarter than you, about twenty years before social justice was even a thing. Organised religion is objectively shite, the chronicles of narnia is shite, and you are stupid

>our tumblr and reddit accounts
YOUR tumblr and reddit accounts, faggot

>make up sexualizes children
Pretending to be a pearlchutcher on Yea Forums doesn't make you interesting

Nevermind, this was probably when she died of old age? That's kind of dumb. Arslan is still cool tho.

>I dislike people talking down to other authors because of modern politics
>OKAY SWEATIE UR BORING AND WRONG
I'm legit fucking mad now because I think you're baiting me. You legitimately speak like a pinkhaired pseudo-feminist.

First of all, just because you get mad at something doesn't mean you had your feelings hurt, if that were the case there'd never be any conversation about anything. Secondly you're the one who seems to be hurt considering you have to resort to white knighting some woke author and insulting me, someone you don't even know. I never mentioned organized religion in any of my posts either my man, so it seems you have some unresolved issues.

Don't have them. Now all of you stop replying to me please.

I never claimed to be, or strived to be, interesting.

SO ANYWAY,
I hope they will do a good job with the Republic of Heaven stuff, because that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
Also, why do I feel like I have already seen a scene with the intention crafcraft?

>Nevermind, this was probably when she died of old age?
You haven't even read any of these things and you're getting yourself mad over some comments
This is amazing. Please keep posting retard user

Attached: 1563252644891.jpg (720x720, 70K)

B
O
R
I
N
G

I said I read the first two books. How have you read all of them but missed that I've said that like three times now. Also notice how I've asked you to maintain a conversation and learn about a thing and you disragard me by insulting me? Seems you're the one in the wrong. Cute doggo tho.

Isn't this a children's book?

By a self-important author who thinks he's very smart because he read Paradise Lost once.

being "woke" wasn't a thing either, when the bad man said the nasty thing that made you maddy wad. The whole theme of the book is about organised religion, so that's central to what you're arguing about, just so you know. Please stop posting, if you don't want people to call you stupid.

I haven't really got to that bit on my reread, but hopefully if they get that far, it'll mean the budget is high enough to do it. Bit worried about McAvoy, he's kind of puny. An extended subplot about elephants on wheels making fishing nets and chilling out should be interesting.

The first one is, kinda.
The second two are full of adult concepts, though.

just like lord of the rings

>author points sexist shit in a book ohow Susan as an adult is denied heaven because she wore makeup
>twist yourself into a rage because of muh SJW boogeyman and muh woke people without knowing any of the context of the quote
You're just a self righteous reactionary child looking for shit to get mad at

Ignore the retard

Okay, thank you for letting me know. Asshole.

Yes, that makes the book EVIL.

Both were filmed/inspired by oxford, it looks like that

sneed

I really hope he can muster the dangerous and powerful energy of Lord Asriel.
If I get a soi Asriel, I'll riot.

Give me your email please. If I write a book one day, I'll make sure to let you know, so you can shit up threads about my book because I was mean to you.

It was a long time coming

XD

I never claimed anyone was mean to me. I just claimed I think calling a book evil is in itself the reactionary part of it and that he seemed like a self important asshole. You're the one acting like I hurt you.

Attached: 1549130666629.jpg (708x964, 94K)

you have ahit taste and it wasn't unanimous. if they would have simply picked up where the movie left off with the exact same actors it would be infinitely better

I don't have any evidence for this, but I get the feeling they have dumbed down the dialogue for the trailer. I'm hoping it's just some trailer-y lines they might've even filmed specially to make the trailer more normal. Dafne Keen is a really good choice

I do not believe for a second you're religious or even a conservative

I thought this book series is fairy tale for kids without war n shiet.

I clearly stated I'm neither. I think calling a kid's book evil because it said something about make up when it was written a long time ago is anachronistic and dumb.
Terrorism is evil, a kid's book isn't.

>Fantasy World modeled after 19th century Britain
>00:18 until first black male appears
I think the Yea Forums memes are getting to my brain, why do I notice shit like this everywhere now?

Yes, I think she looks like a good Lyra.
Lyra is not supposed to be "cute" or "nice". I can see this kid behind the door when Will finds her with spitting Pantalaimon

>the cold end
does this mean you want him to shoot you or simply face nonlethal recoil?

SUPERIOR WOKE SHOW COMING THROUGH

Attached: didthey.webm (1100x850, 1.77M)

There's a great deal of war

Attached: 1553947026598.jpg (157x204, 10K)

>the prose that brings it down for me
how so? is it dislike for affected archaic wording?

I hope they have the mud fight scene, but I hope they DON'T make the kids naked during the scene or this board will implode. Also, I really just remember the ending being the two of them touching each other's daemons and it feeling very intimate and exciting, but people around here are saying they fuck??

ah

Attached: D3iAaBsWsAEKkjO.jpg (500x280, 19K)

You're letting /pol/ rot your brain it you can't even watch a non white on screen without getting angry

Wtf? I don't recall them being naked for a mudfight. The lovescene is ambiguous, and Pullman said you can read it however you want: sex or just making out

>for no reason
i hope you are not american

>tfw only the girl second from the left is going to make it

>can't even watch a non white on screen without getting angry
as it should be

obsessed

you mean prettier, because she was a child

Attached: a7ee94be7a5fdf0620a851e572418040.jpg (1500x1991, 442K)

all the greats lived over 100 years ago when religious devotion was the default. What do you expect?

I bet he meant hotter tho

I swear to god if they fuck this up like Game of Thrones I'll be platinum mad.

Sorry, but Mr "morning found her shitting" isn't really in the same realm of talent.

He has more popular works. That means he has more talent.

Wasn't even comparing the Dark materials to Song and Ice and Fire user. I just want the the a series I read in my childhood to be done proper justice.

I just read the first chapter and it was good

The books are finished so it would be hard to

I'm fucking sick of this vaguely medieval grim dark perma-winter grey everywhere aesthetics.

Kys immediately.
Do not pass Go.
Do not collect two hundred dollars.

Ok, sorry: feeling defensive. You should see the shit that went on earlier in the thread.

I just can't wait for season 2, for Cittagazze.
Anyone here used to visit that fansite called City of Lights or something?
They had a list of songs that they thought fit with the series, I remember Avril Lavigne's I'm With You was one of them.
Makes me sad so many websites of yesteryears have disappeared, along with their communities.

Attached: jeremy-paillotin-v002-1[1].jpg (1920x816, 319K)

>atheist Narnia trying again
I wish nothing but failure for it

Golden Compass is legitimately good.

Not all children's books are trash user, you would know if you read books when you were a kid.

Attached: 9780440418320_p0_v4_s1200x630.jpg (427x630, 56K)

Attached: 1c5addacca6921f10eee5849e644074d[1].jpg (1600x651, 132K)

Atheist Narnia...really.
It was on my Freshman year high school Summer reading list. In a Catholic School by the way. Somebody with a sense humor must have added it to the list. I don't think anyone in my year bothered reading that precious book.

It's cool user. I forgive you. It be like that sometimes.

Attached: Dark Elf Schoolgirl.jpg (512x1131, 87K)

Nice art.

If you have smart kids then read tot hem real literature.

Cunny?

Where is this?
Ci'gazze?

Seething

Nah this isn't anywhere specific from the books according to the artist:
forums.cgsociety.org/t/his-dark-materials-prague-fair-tobias-trebeljahr-2d/1537002
The title of it was 'Prague Fair'.
It's a bit reminiscent of where Lyra first meets Iorek though, in Trollesund.

Attached: his_dark_materials[1].jpg (1500x1061, 822K)

i didn't watch the movie, i don't know this story or lore

but from a filmmaker point of view the cgi and sets looks very competent, along with good costume design

however, even though they have A list actors, the camera work looks very boring and the emotion from these characters looks very forced. it's feels like the camera crew and writers from a CW series got a tremendous budget and made a show

I couldn't stand Narnia. When you live in a country were Christianity has been dead for 50 years a Jesus lion is just... weird. You are preaching to people who can't understand your message.

Golden compass was just fantasy. It didn't try to moralize, it was a cool story.

>When you live in a country were Christianity has been dead for 50 years a Jesus lion is just... weird.
Sounds like people who don't have christianity are exactly the ones who could benefit from a lion jesus character

Maybe, but Dafne is a better fit for the character

These books are exactly the sort of dogshit an Englishman would write. The English have never gotten over their hateboner for the Catholic Church, even 500 years after Henry VIII. Hating Catholics is an official English pastime.

Attached: tenor.gif (498x360, 165K)

I had this game for computer and it only worked once until it crashed halfway through the first level. Was it good?

Aslan forgives

Because it’s a kidfucker

The technology and architecture is all over the place. What bothers me the most is the painted pavement streets, when everything else is mostly steam punk.

God Kidman is painfully beautiful

Attached: 1497133158036.jpg (271x271, 9K)

There is a prequel where Lyra is a baby, the next book is going to be about Lyra as a college student.

Ok

The alethiometer looks like shit and they are making it more than it actually is
Miranda as Scoresby is miscast
Barely any Pantalaimon
Asriel is used badly. Not a peep of Stelmaria either.
Mme Coulter is meh and should be blonde. The monkey is golden coloured too.
Still can't make Iorek good, but I hope at least Iofur will be called Iofur.
4/10 will not watch

The film adaptation will always be unmatched. But this looks pretty solid. Actually a little excited

Attached: Dakota_Blue_Richards.PNG.png (241x336, 211K)

> the golden m pass
What's the M word?

Metaphor

Who should be cast as Will's father and mother?

>live-action western-written anime
Yeah, you could say I'm quite the connoisseur

So what I take from this is that The Golden Compass was actually good? I never saw it or heard any fanfare around it.

I don't remember the whole movie but it was a pretty interesting concepts, people have familiars which are kinda like their soul or something and if they are taken away they become NPC's, some people in the artic where kidnapping kids and taken their familiars

a large chunk of the movie was about bears fighting tho

Because fighting polar bears in armor is cool

Yes

the books are hardly better and there is virtually no coherency between them, it becomes utterly retarded and there is nothing really to tie it together, Even the characters don't stay the same.

It was cancelled, because it was a big flop that ruined New Line Cinema. No amount of religious criticism would have stopped them to continue the franchise, but people only like to flop hard once, you know.

Research it nigga- it was literally written to be an atheist counterpoint to Narnia. Like, that was the actual intention.

can't wait to see the subtle knife cut bear armor like butter

t. seething Christfag

I remember reading the books, but I can't remember anything about them.
Also, not enough diversity. What are they racist?

So what's the value of this series outside of Fedora Fags and Christcucks having something else to squabble about?

Good to see Tuunbaq is doing fine.

Will this be 1:1 canon without changes that ruined the movie? Like where Lyra's friend is getting sacrificed in the end and shit?

It has a really cool setting if you ask me. The idea of a little shapeshifting animal companion was super cool to a youngster. the heroine is crafty and brave and the male lead (probably won't be in the first series) is a great portrayal of a kid who's had to grow up fast and deal with adult shit. It's fantastically well-written, which I hope comes across in the show, but if not at least there's a fucking cool polar bear that talks, drinks booze and fucks shit up.

The religious stuff is there, but it's very much aimed at the negative parts of religion that we can all pretty much agree on - child abuse, suppression of scientific progression etc. It's set in a world where angels and hell are real, and it depicts both in a really imaginative and cool way if you ask me

Isn't Lyra that girl that played that girl in Logan?

What surprised me the most is that the CGI looks better than in GoT. Hows that possible? I suppose the budget is 10x smaller.

cry more faggot. thats not how any sort of different production works

i'm reading the first book because of this thread and it seems really fun like 200k leagues under the sea

Oh, just wait, you're in for quite a ride.
I envy you having a first read through.
My first time was so enjoyable.

Maybe because after the first book the series is garbage

not my big milkies lyra

His Dark Materials has some pretty heavy topics in it, it's several steps above things like Harry Potter.

i never watch the movie so what happened in the story then ?

It's like people forgot books are meant to be entertaining, so anything written with the goal of maybe entertaining kids is decided to be this lesser class of literature.

>forgot books are meant to be entertaining

>the HP generation

Witcher is going to kick this show's ass.

>These young adult books are all the same

I will fight you if you dare insult His Dark Materials, you fucking cunt. It's the LOTR of the 21st century.

Attached: 1551264980631.jpg (720x833, 24K)

>i never watch the movie so what happened in the story then ?
The head angel of God pretends to be God

wtf why christian mad at that, its a fact right some angel (lucifer) rebel against GOD and larping as god.

Cittagazze was my favorite place in the books. It sounded like a place I would like to visit and explore, especially after it emptied out and you could have the whole place to yourself

It irks me when people call Pullman a fedora-tipper when his depiction of religion itself is actually perfectly acceptable. While he criticises organised religion, it's made explicit that God isn't responsible for the nightmare that the Magisterium and all the different churches in the various dimensions has become. God's being kept prisoner by Metatron. When you actually see God in the book he's just a fucked up emaciated spirit who dies a second after being let out of his prison. You feel pity for him. Throughout the entire trilogy beliefs and moral codes are treated with great respect. Just look at the witches, the bears etc.

Did they remove all the atheism references here too

The first book was amazing and I couldn't put it down. The others were preachy and slow.

That wasn't God in the glass case.

Well, the Authority then. The first angel who may or may not be God.

The witcher will be a disaster

> random cgi spam battles

it was shite

Remember when HBO was great dramas made for adults instead of marketing disposable men children genre trash for tasteless normies