So why didn't it get a sequel?

So why didn't it get a sequel?

Attached: 220px-The_Golden_Compass.jpg (220x325, 26K)

Because it was shit and confusing and assumed all viewers knew the book to not get lost

It didnt have the atmosphere of the book so it basically had nothing.

Because the catholic church didn't allow it to happen

The film bombed so hard that
>New Line Cinema had to cease being an independent company and now only does Warner Bros stuff 97% of the time
>Killed both Arthouse divisions of Warner and Newline (Warner Independent Pictures and Picturehouse, latter exists in name only seperate from Warner)
>it's licensed game was the final game made by Shiny Entertainment, which merged with The Collective and became Double Helix, which later became Amazon Game Studios LA
>also got Sega into a load of shit

It's getting a Netflix series where half the characters have been blackwashed.

I am the child that read this book as a young teenager and I wont be watching it.
Mostly because netflix makes really shit tv series but also because blackwashing.

isn't this one of those movie that ends with a cliffhanger and never get a sequel?
my sister wouldn't stop talking about how her friend was pissed about it

It's getting a series

>The film bombed so hard

>Budget: $180 million
>Gross: $372 million

How the fuck is that considered a box office failure? Even if the marketing budget was $180 million, it still made profit.

Christfags in burgerland started kvetching when realized they were making an "atheist" fantasy movie. The only reason the first movie got made is because all the overtly antireligious sentiment and teenage sexuality is in the last two books.

New Line couldn't afford half of the production, so Warner Bros chipped in on the condition that they get worldwide rights.

In America it only made $70 million

I forgot to mention, all the Worldwide Rights didn't go to New Line, they went to Warner Bros instead, so they lost a fuck ton of money.

It's atheist propaganda so it at the very least deserves to get blackwashed.

Its a BBC series

>It's atheist propaganda
But God exists in the setting?

BBC is producing it but it's airing on HBO over here.

>180 million * 2.5 = 450 million
>it still made profit

Because normies don't get weeb shit. To be faithful it needs sexual tension and pedo bait which normies won't accept.

Noone cared about some wannabe-classic britbong adapted cgi bullshit

Americans would chimp out

Why was the casting so on point?

It did its money outside the USA and New Line Cinema had sold the distribution rights for it for peanuts as they expected it to be a hit in the USA.

This movie was a lesson for the studios: there is more money outside the USA, so they should start doing better deals.

>“We’ve tried to avoid the feeling of fantasy,” production designer Joel Collins told Radio Times on the set of the BBC/HBO drama

Attached: hdm-iorek.jpg (1800x1012, 88K)

>“It needs to be a plausible world, built on science – even if that science is different to ours.”

Attached: hdm1.jpg (1200x675, 39K)

Lester Freamon was in this?

Attached: hdm2.jpg (1200x675, 35K)

Imagine how much this series would trigger Yea Forums if it came out today

>Why was the casting so on point?
Quads confirm, casting was one good thing about this movie.

Attached: hdm4.jpg (1200x675, 39K)

The bear armor DLC bankrupted them.

I assume they just mean no magic shit for the sake of magic shit that plagues most English fantasy. Internal consistency is important for good fantasy.

How are they going to explain the witches?

Why

Yfw God is just the longest living angel, laid in state in a dusty palanquin, decaying

Is this a miscast? Can this actor do things beyond act like a feral psycho?

The whole thing is miscast. Not having Kidman as Coulter is gonna hurt the most

Eh i'll check it out either way. Liked the first book a lot as a kid. Hopefully they do better with this than Series of Unfortunate Events.

>black man's daemon is a monkey
Oof.

That wasn't God, dumdums.

Will's black anyway, so I've already dropped it

I'd rather just have a good animated adaptation. Means you can capture all the esoteric aspects without the need for shitty BBC-tier CGI, casting matters less, and it makes the child romance less uncomfortable.

#1 trash
#2 the producers of the film only owned the domestic rights and it bombed domestically

They have Ruth Willson, She's a good silver medal

>isn't this one of those movie that ends with a cliffhanger and never get a sequel?
Remember this one? So lulzy.

Attached: eragon-eragon-175445_1280_1024.jpg (1280x1024, 1.44M)

I mean, they made Lyra Spanish right? At that point all bets are off. Reminds me of the Anne of Green Gables adaption which black people in it, ludicrous but it is what it is.
>child romance less uncomfortable
I doubt they'll keep most of that. Though none of it was that bad in the books anyway.

They filmed the ending but christians got pissy

because narnia is better

The romance is literally the entire point though. To cut it would fundamentally misunderstand the source material

Favorite book?

I meant less "uncomfortable" as you put it. Which is to say, fail the source material so people don't get awkward hard-ons seeing teens macking on each other.

Eragon probably has the worst cliffhanger:quality ratio of any film ever made.

How do the books end?

In 2nd book she finds herself a chad bf, in 3rd book they fugg and for apparently no justifiable reason have to part ways and get into their own worlds without the possiblity to get back together (until they die and land into realm of dead)

The first book or the trilogy as a whole?
Northern Lights (Golden Compass) ends withAsriel sacrificing Lyra's friend tearing open a hole to another universe in the Aurora

The series ends with Asriel declaring war on the church, he and Coulter sacrifice themselves to kill Metatron (who is the one posing as God), in another universe Lyra and Will fall in love, fug, and this replenishes the Dust in all universes. But they have to close up all the doors between worlds and have to go their separate ways.

Among the many problems of this film was the stupid daemon (spiritual animal) stuff which doesn't really affect the plot at all. I guess it establishes the world as a fantasy universe different from ours, but the first ten minutes get very hung up with explaining how daemons work when they could have been explaining more important things.

It is the definition of a bomb, because theatres cet a cut of the Gross. You also forgot to add marketing, which was at least $100M, because it was a big Christmas release and the supposed start of anew franchise.

It was a pretty big flop.

it only had a cliffhanger because they stopped the movie right before the ending, which they decided would work better as the opening to the sequel for some fucking reason

Because the sequels are blasphemy against the Christian god.

>Christian
I don't get it, the main universe the series is set in doesn't have a Jesus. He's not a part of their religion, it's just 'The Authority'. So if anything they're Jews, albiet with a vaguely Catholic aesthetic.

You don't understand meta-narratives?

In fact I don't. How does the movie ends ?

I like the scientific take.
Perhaps we'll get a good Jordan & Oxford and not some goofy Harry Potter type thing.

Wow, that looks like the Lyra in my head.
*shivers*

The narrative is anti-authoritarian. If you're a christian and you unironically identify with the Magisterium then you're an moron.
But none of the 'christians' hating this series have even read it.

Because it was lumped in with the other movies that are considered "Lotr knockoffs"

We 40K nao

Witches are pretty much a race.
They can send their daemons really far, and fly on brooms, but nothing else they do is really THAT magical.

The Creator took off, as far as we know.
That was the usurper.

And see the future, cast spells and live for centuries

The only reason Christians care more is because of the language the book was written in. You think any book proclaiming the positives of removing "God" would go well with a person who believes in one?

I thought it was HBO/BBC. "his dark materials"

>Will's black
Hm. That doesn't upset me too much: I don't think his race was ever mentioned.
A black Lyra I wouldn't stand for.

I suppose I should have used quotes. "God." The reveal was neat.

As long as they just kiss and eat fruit, it should be fine.

>I don't think his race was ever mentioned.
If a white girl from a near 100% white England doesn't mention his race, then it's because he is the same race as her.
Black people were a rarity in Lyra's Oxford. When she see's Will's (our world's) Oxford for the first time she's amazed by how many 'Africans' and such there are.

Terrible, horrible description.

God isn't even in the books though. The conflict is entirely anti-Church.

God isn't but "God" is.

Metatron was just the communicator with the Authority, who was the first poseur

It bombed in the states, but New Line decided not to take a share of the overseas gross, and that was their undoing

>Against the Christian God
Good, nobody cares about the god of the kikes except society's biggest degenerates.
Abrahamic religion is anti white.

The third one is too real.
>two younguns furiously hump each other in the woods and then never see each other again

I was raised as a preacher's kid, and I see the parallel/ allegory quite clearly.

>make movie adaptation from first book in series
>movie bombs and doesn't get a sequel
DURR WHY CLIFFHANGER???

Its fucking hilarious that this movies cliffhanger is even a thing. The whole motivation for Eragon's travels in the second book was the urge to find training due to his crippled mangled fucking body.
In the movie he didn't even get scratched and it just sort of ended, minus the weird as fuck Galbatorix reveal.

That's a good point.

Her dad murdering a kid as a cliffhanger would have been way more controversial than the faux outrage over the blasphemy.

But it's not wrong, letting all the plot points aside that's how it ended. She could literally close the holes and stay with the boy since she had nothing in her world left either way.

>as a cliffhanger
When I first read the book & Lyra followed her father into the city in the sky, I didn't experience that as a cliffhanger.

It is. The retard you quoted is making a fuss over nothing. Im looking forward to how theyll adapt it, even if it turns out to he bad, the at least ill he able to shitpost about it here.

That's not true, Will and Mary were getting sick from not being in their own world, and Lyra would too, in our world.

The Abrahamic God in real life isn't the real God either, but a false poseur. Its just a jewish tribal war god. The real gods are the ancestral pantheon gods of the europeans. After all, europeans built civilizations and culture where jews shat in the mud and cut up their penises, and their "culture" was a ripoff of everyone around them that devolved further and was poisonous enough to dismantle rome when it took hold since christianity is basically proto-communism.

Is this the Dakota thread?

Attached: 6yf8t0f.jpg (1482x1999, 579K)

Haven't read the books. But ending a movie having Bond kill a kid would have been Gaspar Noé tier of fucked up.

Why couldn't will just keep his dagger and walk there and there back and forth?

Every time you open a portal it creates a 'spectre'
And if you leave the doors open Dust gradually leaks out of them - which is pretty much what caused the problem in the first place.

They could only leave one door open (for some reason) which had to be in the world of the dead to let their souls escape

There could only be one hole because of Dust leaking.
And because someone would have eventually gotten the knife, it had to be destroyed. [/spoiler]
Did you even read the ending?

Yeah I know but that was the issue because there were lots of holes which caused that issue. One rift that they can close every time wouldn't have changed shit.

Oops, tried to black that out.
Sorry for spoilers

>find God
>think he's trapped and unhappy in his glass prison
>try to free him and accidentally kill him

I hope they keep that scene

>One rift that they can close every time
>Every time you open a portal it creates a 'spectre'

Attached: 1557859590954.jpg (563x503, 21K)

Worry not because I have read all the thee tomes, just ages ago, user. I mean they could have dealt with the knife later, that's a stupid way to end it.

Except for creating a Spectre each time, letting a bit of Dust leak out.
Plus, also, definitely someone would try to get the knife

Are you sad that you didn't get a happy ending?
It was the perfect ending, though I would have liked to see Lord Asriel survive.

All I ever wanted was Toby Stephens to play Asriel

Cmon now user, you must want a bit more than that, huh?

Fundies.

And the thing is that there is actually a God in the series, there is only talk of atheism in the first books, after that it becomes a hell of a ride. Really recommend this book series to anyone that has not read it yet. The name of the triology is His Dark Materials, which is a spoiler in itself.

Yeah, I want Toby Stephens to appear in lots of other kinos too

Ah yes, the literal Sky Daddies who don't even pretend to not be flawed rapists and petty murderers. That's the true gods...

I hate those "for the greater good we fuck ourselves up" trope. I'd rather have Will die in some fight or so with his soul being destroyed than this crap.

Abrahamic God is well-known for never killing or raping anyone

Is Dafne Keen still gonna be the new Lyra? The original movie Lyra was blonde right? Will they dye her hair?

Attached: J2MwCV_o.jpg (450x450, 34K)

Coulter and Asriel are both cast with dark hair too so I guess they'll just roll with it

Honestly don't mind it if she can play the role. Nothing in the books makes it awkward to make her Spanish.

I think book Lyra has brown hair.

She looks like Lyra.
Like if you fuck with her, she'll bite you.

Yeah but if I get her drunk will her Daemon spoon mine?

>Golden Compass
What is it with Americans and changing the original British names?

I doubt it.
Lyra isn't cuddly.

The books imply otherwise but maybe it's the way I smell.

Everything we do is an improvement, comes natural to us to see something lesser and make it better. Thank us at your continence. I know life is hard on you foreigners.

Attached: 1534701886023.gif (600x304, 263K)

>Meme animals, witches and euphoric independent children work together to destroy the fantasy Catholic church from harming kids

Sure is Atheism+ here!

Seriously fucking based dude, nice one.

>nooooooo don't insult my pedo cult

Ok but for real like, what did the pope ever do wrong?

>Ok but for real like, what did the pope ever do wrong?
Plenty!

Attached: putxrngitkjpnqscuybt.jpg (1600x900, 292K)

Well hold on now, if the Pope is the word of God and God is perfect how could the Pope do wrong?

Well in this case he was retconned to not actually have been the Pope

>pfffffffffffffttttshshssfffffffffffffffffftttttt...

Attached: 1558750740115.png (645x729, 32K)

>Qt fiesty loli to sexy titcow
How can she not be a star?