To anybody who spent a lot of time in those games, this question wont seem that retarded

To anybody who spent a lot of time in those games, this question wont seem that retarded.

Are there any films with the same feeling of atmosphere original 2003-2007 source engine games have?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (900x720, 493K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/t9nocjg2OLI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Children of Men gives a similar vibe to City 17

Maybe those bleak Russosphere films with commieblocks in them, like The Return (Vozvrashchenie) from 2003. Can't think of anything with that same blend of eastern Europe/sci-fi in it, though.

>same blend of eastern Europe/sci-fi
Tarkovsky's kinos

Death of stalin kind of

I totally know what you are talking about OP. The first few hours of Half Life 2 and Portal have a really cool atmosphere that I've never really seen before in other games or media.

Not quite on topic but did anyone who played Wolfenstein: The New Order think it was just an obviously reskinned HL2?

Play Time
A Pigeon Sat on A Branch Reflecting on Existence (as well as ads by Roy Andersson)
Life Aquatic
Brawl in Cell Block 99
The Lobster
The House that Jack Built

oh and Come and See

Attached: 56874568.png (883x740, 448K)

more pics, different game but same vibes
thank you anons
i can't get a similar type of feeling from anything else since then; it bothers me
reskinned not so sure, but a play test for the old blood for sure
thank you user!

Attached: uzg.jpg.jpg (1024x578, 172K)

For me this song really epitimizes the feeling I get from them.
youtu.be/t9nocjg2OLI

I kinda get a similar feeling from certain levels in Mirror's Edge but its not quite as dark.

perfect audio description and yes, mirrors edge is very similar at points indeed

hl2 had a good story but it was too easy and was lacking in some parts, It would have a great atmosphere then wouldn't

It was actually the first time I got buyers remorse

I actually built a new computer to play this when i needed a car

I think about hl2 when I am about to buy something I don't need

also was the begging of the end for me being obsessed with games

>is a retard
>is also from reddit
pottery

It sounds like you got burned by hype and are blaming it on the game. Although I agree its just a better than average game, not the masterpiece people act like it is.

I know what you mean. The gaming world went apeshit for HL2, with esteemed publications awarding it scores like 98%. I must be part of the 2% for whom the game just didn't work.

My main criticism is that it feels very on-rails. Everything seems scripted and playtested to death. HL1 felt much more open ended; like you were solving the puzzles and fighting the enemies in your own unique way, using whatever techniques worked for you. HL2 feels like corridor-monster, corridor-monster, repeat, repeat.

I wish they hadn't set so much of the game outdoors. The HL2 engine was just not ready to convincingly portray an outside environment. Everything looks like it is made of fibre glass, like a carnival haunted house.

Also, the gravity gun is a stupid gimmick that gets boring after five minutes, and yet they shoehorn into lots of critical moments (here's an idea: why not use a gun? It shoots 30 rounds before it needs reloading, as opposed to firing one object and then needing to go and run and find something else to fling.) Alex was an annoying waifu. Dog was overpowered, to the extent where they have to keep writing him out of the script. The AI is good in some moments but completely retarded in others.

There was a zombie movie called "the crazies". It was pretty meh but had a nice atmosphere

it's reputation doesn't come from it being a fantastic game, but rather a bar setter for all other games, nothing had ever really been made like it when it came along, it used the latest technology to create a cinematic experience, which both allowed and doomed all big title releases to follow it to shoot for those same goals of level design and etc, so it's dated but impressive

although from now looking back I will say that the audio design, art direction and general world building is still way at the peak of video games, it really was far ahead of its time

Who’s a biggest fat hack
>gaben for lack of HL3
>GRMM

Pixar movies

Attached: 268x0w.jpg (268x402, 31K)

Fight Club and some of the night scenes from The Matrix have similar atmosphere to VTMB in terms of lighting and art style.

Tbf HL3 was being so hyped that even if someday Valve actually makes the game, it won't deliver as everyone's expectations.

Honestly this. Only Toy Story gave off the same sterileness feel and instilled the same fear of humanity that Half Life 2 gave me.

the point though and I think why it did so well when it was released is that the game is sort of like a movie, in regard to each 'scene' you come across in the game is very polished, like all the events and areas you'll come across have obvious centerpieces and visuals that both tell the story and provide for gameplay, that's why it was so on rails and so chocked full of individual bits and pieces to take in, because it is meant to be a cinematic game at heart and I actually think it follows the same path as HL1 but because of said centerpieces it makes it's linear path more obvious, maybe if it didn't have the loading screens then it would be more seamless, also I think the outside bits were fine, the skybox and terrain is dated but the way they use landmarks and paths to make it really feel like you're making ground was very well done

Gaben. Say what you will about GRRM but he's one man and he's rich. Gabe has a whole company, he would have all the money and help in the world but he just can't be fucked.

Everyone keeps saying that, but if they just made an 8/10 game with a similar feel, most people would be satisfied.

28 days later?

I think hl2 was meant to be a passion project, and they didn't want hl3 to fall flat by risking using the same old stuff in a different way, so I think they probably tried to redo the whole thing and try to set a new bar but just couldn't keep up and got side tracked with Steam and shit, I imagine what we saw in Portal 2 came directly from what HL3 was meant to be

all that content cut from the beta

Attached: yeh errr.jpg (597x400, 31K)

Portal 1's soundtrack was underrated

Portal 2 was so good I wonder if it was the perfect note for Valve for go out on or if we've denied of 8 years of vidyakino. I'm still baffled that Valve wouldn't let TurtleRock do Left 4 Dead 3.

>You will never play HL2 for the first time again.

You need me...

that god damn music

Attached: 1522073977945.png (916x768, 489K)