What are the essential westerns?

What are the essential westerns?

Attached: 1562966739839.jpg (1200x750, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_film
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

3:10 to Yuma(2007), The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, True Grit(1969).

i hate western but high noon, the searchers and the good the bad and the ugly were good

pic related is in my top ten movies of all time

Attached: my-name-is-nobody-50eb591a929d7.jpg (1000x562, 225K)

Cannot forget the Peckinpah classics. The Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

>i hate western but
Why would anyone care about your opinion then? You know you don't have to reply to every thread you enter, right?

>You know you don't have to reply to every thread you enter, right?
but then people won't here my anonymous opinion...

hear*

because if you are a western fanboi and you list 200 titles you love it most likely contains many medicore movies.but if you hate a genre or type of film but there are a few from that said genre that even you like, they are most likely high quality. so obviously my opinion is not just as important and valuable as western fans' but even more so

The Searchers is shit.
Stagecoach is good though, watch that.

>The Searchers is shit
fuck off

The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven
The Wild Bunch
Stagecoach
The Great Silence
El Topo for something a lot weirder

As far as modern westerns go, Revenant, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Meek's Cutoff, The Sister's Brothers are pretty good.

wild bunch, day of anger, all sergio leone, revengers... klaus kinski is in a couple of good ones.. sabatha, bullet for the general... trinity..

for a few dollars more is better than tgtbtu

>actually trying to argue that the opinion of someone who doesn't appreciate/understand westerns and likely hasn't seen many of them is more important than someone who is more well-versed in the genre and actually likes the movies
I guess we should value the opinion of teenage girls over anyone on this board

Watch Pale Rider, The Outlaw Josey Wales & Unforgiven. Then Leone’s 5 Westerns. And maybe Rio Bravo. The rest for me ranges from boring to fucking dreadful. Particularly Wayne movies.

>The rest for me ranges from boring to fucking dreadful
all 3 of em

Once upon a time, highplains drifter, bone tomahawk, blazing saddles.
I'd also add prospect to the list but it's only a western in spirit not in form.

High Noon
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Unforgiven

High Noon
Stagecoach
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
Hour of the Gun
For a few dollars More
Unforgiven
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
The Proposition (2005)

did you guys all just watch the same selection of 10 or so westerns and then call it a day for the genre?

My nigger taking the words out of my mouth
>he doesn't even like Mclintock
What an absolute gay

he asked for the essentials so that's what he's getting dumbass.

Attached: Death-Rides-a-Horse-poster.jpg (1024x768, 89K)

>everyone's opinions on the best of the genre should be the same

Attached: 1551144103852.jpg (856x1024, 49K)

High Noon
Winchester 73 (my absolute favourite)
The Searchers
True Grit (both versions)
Rio Bravo
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
Shane
Jeremiah Johnson
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Wild Bunch
The Magnificent Seven
All of the Dollars Trilogy

I'm missing out a ton of films here but they're the first ones that spring to mind.

Comedy westerns like Blazing Saddles, Support Your Local Sherif, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and Lemonade Joe are worth watching once you're familiar with the clichés of the setting/genre.

Maybe those are the ones that are actually worth a fuck?

Why don't you put these soibois in their place by giving your recommendations?

start with pic related then work your way through the westerns of William S. Hart, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Jacques Tourneur, Budd Boetticher, Anthony Mann, Nicholas Ray and Robert Aldrich. Then acquire better genetics.

Attached: 1500953475709.jpg (2208x2586, 1.92M)

Once Upon a Time in the West
Dollars Trilogy
Rio Bravo
3:10 to Yuma (1957)
and unironically The Magnificent Seven (1960)

The core everyone has to know and respect
Dont reply to me faggots

Attached: twingo.jpg (582x498, 269K)

Absolutely based post.

The whole Dollars trilogy
Ballad of Cable Hogue
Outlaw Josey Wales
Jeremiah Johnson
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid
The assassination of Jesse James but the coward Robert Ford
The unforgiven
There will be blood
No country for old men
Both 3:10 to Yuma's
Once upon a time in the west
The searchers
Stagecoach
Both true grits
That's the good ones off the top of my head

Attached: 1560803427246.gif (230x237, 754K)

>Ctrl+f Tombstone
>0 results
>Disappoint

Attached: 2342efe.jpg (1280x720, 35K)

Attached: 220px-Rango2011Poster.jpg (220x325, 30K)

Give the Italian Western series Sartana a try. I like them. Those movies have very high kill counts.

Attached: sartana9.jpg (1920x1080, 289K)

This. This thread is full of retarded plebs.

Attached: f759dbca98082becf8f8273928b0c1e0--val-kilmer-western-movies.jpg (625x402, 48K)

Based

which stagecoach movie are you all talking about? the 66 or 39 version?

Desk sergeant: You mean to say you got no identification at all?
Jack Burns: That's right.
Desk sergeant: No draft card, no social security, no discharge? No insurance, no driver's license, no nothing?
Jack Burns: No nothing.
Desk sergeant: Look, cowboy, you can't go around with no identification. It's against the law. How are people going to know who you are?
Jack Burns: I don't need a card to figure out who I am. I already know.

Attached: lonelyarethebrave.jpg (400x225, 20K)

Westerns are just capeshit but with guns. These are just power fantasies for Americans.

And that's a good thing.

Attached: 029.jpg (1200x1131, 253K)

A wonderful love letter to the genre.

>Westerns are just capeshit but with guns.
explain. I know you can't but I wanna see you squirm and attempt to.
>These are just power fantasies for Americans.
how many westerns have you seen? 3-5 would be my guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=tgvxu8QY01s
"Have gun, will travel" reads the card of a man...

Blazing Saddles

Different user but he has a point. Both Westerns and Capeshit are straightforward "good guys vs. bad guys" movies (at least classic Westerns) that are designed to appeal to a broad audience. They both rely on big action set-pieces and generally have a romantic subplot as well. The power fantasy aspect is present in both genres as cowboys and superheroes are both quintessentially American archetypes who always win in the movies. However user seems to be dismissing Westerns because of these similarities which is unfair and only makes him look like a cynical snob. Granted, classic Westerns are superior to capeshit because they are less self-conscious which gives them a depth of sincerity that Capeshit lacks but there are similarities nonetheless.

Searchers is literally only on more lists because of politics. Stagecoach is way better

Well also westerns are a visually bland genre. So character and dialogue have take the front stage. Capeshit is all about cgi.

>Westerns
>Visually bland

Terminally plebeian take.

Attached: Kino.jpg (1000x520, 61K)

literally every single point here could be refuted by "watch more westerns" or "you weren't reading between the lines of the basic surface narrative"
>also westerns are a visually bland genre
oh fuck off. tell anyone well-versed in westerns this and they will laugh in your fucking face.

Dances With Wolves

Attached: 1554601300119.jpg (750x906, 97K)

Yeah I know there are Western fetishists who will balk at the comparison but in general they were the popcorn big budget blockbusters of their era. While there are some genuinely artistic and great Westerns, the vast majority of them are Capeshit-tier but no one remembers those ones (and rightfully so).

>westerns are a visually bland genre

Attached: Duel In The Sun.jpg (600x431, 46K)

Attached: Way of a Gaucho (1952).jpg (1501x1088, 829K)

Attached: The Big Country (1958).jpg (1920x1080, 181K)

Attached: Johnny Guitar (1954).jpg (728x409, 70K)

I never said i didnt like it. I should have rephrased that. They are all very visually similar. I like westerns alot.

which version of stagecoach 1966 or 1939?

Attached: 1529174485405.jpg (933x919, 95K)

Yojimbo.

Attached: yojinbo.jpg (767x1100, 127K)

>they were the popcorn big budget blockbusters of their era
you know there have been widespread movie "trends" similar to that of superhero movies in the film industry besides westerns, right? Disaster films, world war 2 films, 50s nostalgia, film noir, slashers etc etc. trend != capeshit
>the vast majority of them are [bad]
welcome to movies. that's pretty much the standard for every genre since the inception of the medium.

Attached: john wayne - stagecoach.gif (500x281, 3.49M)

Ok but it's the combination of certain tropes with being blockbuster popcorn flicks that make the comparison apt. For instance disaster films aren't Capeshit-tier because the villain is a force of nature rather than a bad guy. WWII films are closer to Capeshit but they often lack the romantic aspect because women weren't on the frontlines. 50s nostalgia doesn't rely on big action set-pieces. Noir doesn't apply because they are darker in tone and the protagonists are typically morally ambiguous.

Iconic.

39 obvs

is heaven's gate any good? just finished a book abt its making, but i havent seen it.

the warrior's way is totally fun and worth the download

Attached: 1401788844137.jpg (947x719, 232K)

Based and GTFOpilled.

Duck you sucker aka Fistful of dynamite (1971)
thank me later

>3:10 to Yuma(2007
Nah, original yes but not the 2007 version

>big action set-pieces
>romantic subplot
>power fantasy aspect
>"good guys vs. bad guys"
>good guys always win
>these are exclusive to westerns and superhero movies
so like 99% of action films are actually superhero movies and we just aren't realizing it?

Paint Your Wagon.

My nigga. That music should be as iconic as the good bad and ugly theme.

I mean, yeah. What, you didn't twig on when Arnie carried a whole tree, or more recently when John McClane took out a helicopter with a car?

You'll have to look to thrillers for non-superhero action.

Both Westerns and Capeshit qualify as "action films." In fact I just googled "action film" to doublecheck my hunch and the top results are literally Capeshit and according to Wikipedia "during the 1920s and 1930s, action-based films were often... Westerns."

But regardless what makes Westerns and Capeshit more similar to say a film like Die Hard or Speed is that cowboys and superheroes are distinctly American archetypes.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Attached: maxresdefault4.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Based and Focuspilled

Westerns are capeshit for boomers

Attached: 1558005968186.jpg (410x452, 23K)

Tombstone is fucking garbage, lmao

Stagecoach is an absolute must. Everyone else mentioned nearly all of the essentials, but check out Anthony Mann’s stuff like Winchester ‘73 and especially Man of the West.

Any older westerns that don't have the retarded canned bullet ricochet noise spammed every time a gun is fired?

To classify westerns as inherently action-based is incredibly reductive and shows a massive lack of knowledge of the genre. Many action films being set in that time period means nothing.
fuck off Yea Forumsirgin

Attached: lookatthisdude.png (523x613, 237K)

You understand that's one of the most iconic shots from the game and literally the third result on google, you braindead dweeb, lmao?

Based Winchester ‘73 user. It’s the anime of Westerns.

>During the 1920s and 1930s, action-based films were often "swashbuckling" adventure films in which actors, such as Douglas Fairbanks, wielded swords in period pieces or Westerns.

>The 1940s and 1950s saw "action" in a new form through war and cowboy movies

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_film

>you braindead dweeb
you're the one who is (supposedly) above 18 and still playing video games
>dude, since there are action films that take place in the present-day that means all films taking place in the present-day are action films!

You are gay.

High Plains Drifter

If you ever see a poster in a western thread singling it out for praise, know it's probably me.