Some of you may remember. I doubt many, but maybe some. A couple of years ago or so I submitted a script to a contest...

Some of you may remember. I doubt many, but maybe some. A couple of years ago or so I submitted a script to a contest. It didn't win but some people were interested in it, they read it and moved it around. It reached some people from Blumhouse - it's a little, cheap, horror movie script - and we had some conversations about producing it. It did not came to anything but still it was an interesting ride. I've finished a couple scripts more after that and I'm currently writing another one right now. Trying some luck.

So, ask me anything, if you want.

Attached: 1483869208335.jpg (808x1199, 213K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TvOIHFx6rNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did you ever get to the "how much will you pay me for it" stage? If so, how much were they going to pay you for it?

Would suck if she slipped

Not with them. My agent did talk to me about money. We were expecting about 50k.

Did you write a screenplay about Volcanoes?

That's all I care about. Please fuck off until you do so.

Holy fuck. For a "cheap little horror script"? What % of that would the agent have taken?

20%

Good for you, good luck with future scripts.

Can you post a page of the script? I'm interested in the writing process, it's the format that's kind of weird to me.

I thought those were fucking charred bodies piled up around that hellhole what the fuck is wrong with nature

Attached: 131017250800120110725-22047-4a5dkw.jpg (166x231, 6K)

Thanks, man. I'll keep trying. It would be really nice to have a movie made on something I wrote.

Me as well. If that's a real picture it's incredible.

When did you have your firs homosexual experience?

Sure, man. Just give some minutes to locate an old version and change the name of characters, so no one can identify it so easily. Btw, check scenarist if you have problem with formating. It's free.

Do you only write horror scripts or also some other genres?

I've written some thrillers too, but they're quite close in tone and atmosphere to horror, so... you could count them as horror too.

Do you write obscure references to your lads on Yea Forums into your work so we would know if it was made by a fren?

Attached: 1537701293518.jpg (657x527, 23K)

Cool, horror seems like a genre that's probably the easiest to get made right now.

Thank you very much, user. How necessary was the agent? Will anyone take you seriously without one? Will you even get to talk to people without one?

>wrote a script that failed to get picked up
why should we care enough to ask you questions?

It really is. It's the most profitable. It's not the reason that makes me write horror scripts, but it helps me move it. Still, it's difficult.
I'm more of a Yea Forums citizen, and I don't really like to put winks and stuff on it, but sometimes I've slipped some references, yeah.
Here you have. I've changed some stuff, so not really representative, but anyways.

Sort of unrelated, but do any of you anons have screencaps of a script that as posted here on Yea Forums about a dude named John Core? It was fucking hilarious. I remember he was standing over his wife's grave but he doesnt miss her because "he never misses".

>but sometimes I've slipped some references
Care to tell a few?

It is real.
It's an image that's been trafficked around for a while, on Yea Forums (especially /x/) and other places, because it's a completely natural lava formation that unironically looks like the writhing souls of the damned layered around a gateway to Hell.

I hear a lot of scripts get sold that never make it to the screen. Do you happen to know what that proportion is? Also, why would someone buy a script if they didn't want to make it?

I sent the scripts to contests beofre having an agent. I was contacted by one after one of those contests, that's how I got myself one. I would say that it's quite necessary. Even with one, most people won't care about reading your script.
Sorry, failed to upload. Trying again.

Attached: img.jpg (687x859, 82K)

"What is that? A scar?" is something I put in two old scripts. I don't remember if something else ever made it to a final draft.
I don't know what the proportion is, but yeah, it's true. I think they do it to have it as an option, just in case, and to make sure that no one else turn those scripts into succesful movies.

>(especially /x/)
Alright, what bullshit creepypasta story have they done around it?

Is there a reason why you write scripts or is it just for fun

You gotta durn it.

Attached: durn.jpg (396x574, 57K)

I love films. I've always wanted to make films. Of course, when you're younger you have this idea in your head that one day you will be rich and famous and everybody will like the things you write. I know that isn't realistic. I know that I'll never be rich and / or famous. But I still love films, and I would love to have something mine made into a movie that, maybe, some people will love. That's all. I know it sounds silly and corny, but that's the way it is.
Now, that was my Yea Forums. Was there anything she can't do?

where is this picture from

That's really awesome, hope you make it big.

Do you have any tips for someone who loves movies and want's to write scripts but never has?
Like where do I even begin.. Is there some literature that can help?

Attached: e8b20610eeeafb35006f731b82a23b923926f31d_r_o_rodnick_shark_chair_lb1_1_1.jpg (1050x550, 38K)

Of course. There's Syd Field and Christopher Vogler and Save The Cat. I would recommend you to read them and then to try forget about them, or at least to challenge them. Try to avoid bland, mechanic formula. If you want stronger guides, check Aristotle's Poetics and Chekhov advices and Rilke's letters. Try to read a lot of literature and theater (Shakespere and the greeks) and watch classic movies. I think that's the best school there is.

Damn, thank you so much. Got vacation now so will definitely read them all.

Also, is there any specific order you'd recommend or just jump straight in?

My pleasure, man.

Congrats, user.

But only one question really matters - does your script contains jumpscares?

>Start with the greeks

This user is lying to you all.

Well, if you want to from simplistic to complex, I would go from Save the Cat to Field to Vogler. From Vogler you can jump to Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces. It's an study on myth and archetypes (from there you could jump to both Jung and the narratologists if you are particularly interested, not necessary at all) but there's a lot of useful narrative information there. After that (that, like I said, is a basic, formulaic guide that you should not treat as sacred text or anything) you could go straight to Aristotle. Rilke and Chekhov pieces are not long texts or anything, just mere (but strong and inspiring) advices. In terms of fiction, if you want some canonical, almost flawless texts, you could check Shakespeare's Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear, the Henriad and Sophocles' Oedipus Rex and Antigone.

I've seen this image so many times and I still have no idea what it means

Not many really, but there are some here and there.
But it really is solid advice.

Attached: danger_durn.jpg (389x283, 23K)

ya'll know when he durns to yah

Thank you again, bought Save the Cat on Amazon to begin with.

Good luck with everything bro.

Thanks, man. Glad to be of help

Maybe try to go into directing as well. If you ever get one screenplay off the ground and it's a success, you might get some offers to direct one yourself from the others you have laying around. That way you have full creative control over the script and you know they won't change things around

Yeah. That's what Craig Zahler did. I've thought about it some times but, sincerely, I've shot some things and they all look like crap in the end. I don't think I have that much of a talent to direct. Also, you need contacts to secure the financial aspect of it and I'm really bad at that too. I don't get that mad when they want to change stuff, I accept it as part of the process. I'm happy with writing.

A director is only as good as the team surrounding him. There are very few directors that have enough knowledge about lighting, cinematography, framing, cameras, ... and everything else to make things all alone.

youtube.com/watch?v=TvOIHFx6rNQ
This small series is a director that made it big in Hollywood after making some dumb horror shorts on youtube. It's a pretty interesting look into how it all works. I think if you really are committed towards it, you can make it user.

Attached: 1537279063473.jpg (480x480, 76K)

Checking it. Of course, I would love to direct my own stuff but I try to be realistic about it. I don't see myself talented at it and my vision tend to be, let's say slightly unmarketable. I allow for certain changes and suggestions because I'm full aware that my vision can be a bit alienating for the masses. Now, don't get me wrong, I have no intention at all to make bland, souless movies, but I don't want them to be completely alienating neither. I have a certain vision and I want to stay faithful to it, but I'm willing to make some compromises to make it more accesible to audiences. Thanks for the vid suggestion!

>I don't see myself talented at it
It's a skill you train.

I guess it is, yeah. Still, I'm more interested in writing.

That's fine too user, I hope it all works out.
The problem is that not a lot of studios dare to release unconventional movies, and definitely not Blumhouse. A lot of the best horror movies get made independent and then get picked up by a24 or any other studio that dares to. You might have to sacrifice some of your early scripts to make a name for yourself if you are not willing to do it yourself.

Attached: apujup.png (657x527, 83K)

We tried to make some people at A24 and Annapurna read it but they were not interested at all. You're right, if I'm not presented as some kind of auteur my chances dim. Still, there's some stuff that gets read and bought and even some stuff that gets read and bought and made. I'm trying to make some scripts that are bit more marketable, but once I get into writing them they always get a bit weirder than they should.

Keep doing what you do fren, succes comes for those who are dedicated enough or however the saying goes.

Attached: tVHbmJTa.jpg (251x201, 9K)

the fuck is that picture

Kilauea volcano in Hawaii

rad thanks

Shameless selfbump

I have nothing to ask, just wanted to say keep up the good work, OP. You seem like a nice guy.

Well, thanks man. I appreciate it.

Good for you, Op

Still a long way to make it, but thanks man