Comfy 80's Horror Thread

I just watched a few hours of 80's horror film trailers and now I'm sitting down to Day of The Dead. Why exactly was the 80's the best decade for horror? Even the "bad" movies are at least entertaining. Anybody else interested in the documentary about 80's horror?
youtu.be/z_kzOJfWil0

Attached: Return_Reanimator.jpg (850x1200, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VrKP--XqoFs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there was a great balance of audience, diversity of companies, special effects, love for the genre...

I love finding old 80s horror vhs tapes. Even more if they were rentals.

The 80's had a combination of improved film/video production technology (relative to the 1950's, the other great decade for comfy horror), improved practical effects, and color film stock - but, with limited CGI and modern digital effects. 80's horror doesn't have the sheeny digital "uncanny valley" effect of a lot of horror films that came later.

Attached: Empire Pictures.jpg (1929x1752, 428K)

This is still probably my favorite 80's horror VHS box. The immediacy of the diagusting looking zombie and the tagline "We're going to EAT you!!!", used to see it waiting in line at the video store every time we went, wouldn't see the movie until years later, but the weird, grimy feel and the Fabio Frizzi soundtrack lived up to the movie in my mind.

Attached: zombie-fronta.jpg (386x600, 214K)

Now THAT is a fucking movie poster.
I would piss myself if I saw that as a kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=VrKP--XqoFs

great documentary, starring a lot of horror legends such as James Rolfe

Attached: 56456456.jpg (633x703, 254K)

The 70s and 80s were the peak for the horror genre. No contest.

Post Kino
>Hardmode: not Kino that literally everyone knows

Attached: EBC83DFF-6A91-41D5-AF45-E3EC29D713BF.jpg (800x1208, 125K)

Dead and Buried, feels like the best elements of Stephen King and Lovecraft with a great character actor cast and excellent practical effects by Stan Winston.

Attached: MV5BZWY5MGU3ODMtYzUxNi00ZDYxLWEzYjQtMWFjYTg4MDZmZmQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg (1786x2680, 964K)

Artist is Graham Humphreys, he did the British poster for Evil Dead II, which I think captures the manic vibe of the movie better than the standard "skull with eyes" poster.

Attached: u-g-PH35M40.jpg (550x413, 58K)

Both posters are great though.

Everything about this one is perfect, the shitty
little belt, and the fact that I never knew he was
holding just a scalp and not a human head 9/10

Attached: 51doOgCdUsL.jpg (337x500, 40K)

>braindead
>blood dinner
>rawhead rex
>underworld transmutations
yeah not really, they are shit but I like them for what they are

A big part of it too were small, independent studios and low-budget films could still get theater and drive-in screenings, and then continue to build a cult audience on video.

The shitty horror movies of the 80's are still watchable fun, the 70's had lots of classics like Shining and Exorcist, but bad horror from the 70's is borderline unwatchable.

I saw tourist trap the other day and I didn't liked it, there was almost no blood, the telekinetic powers were not explained and Tania Roberts didn't show her tits
It reminded me of Evil Dead Trap wich obviously was inspired by it

True, and after 2000 all b horror flicks looked like they were recorded with a phone, with blood cgi, amateur cinematography and washed up colors
The 80s and early 90s had a great balance

I wonder if all the shitty zero-budget horror movies shot on digital camcorders will ever be looked back on fondly the way shot on video horror from the 80's is seen now?

I dont think so, 80s directors at least knew how to frame and the shots had depth

Who the fuck stabs a shoe?

A shoe maker

Can we discuss 70s horror too? You have 5 seconds to name a subgenre comfier than Giallo

Attached: images (6).jpg (250x355, 15K)