/fmg/ Filmmaking General

Let's try something a little different this time, Yea Forums.
With all the movie and tv fans on here, I bet there's a couple of you that are actually working on some... audiovisual stuff.
So, tell us about your project(s). No matter the scope, no matter if it's professional or personal, no matter what kind of project it is (screenplay, music video, feature film, short, you name it).
Tell us what makes you proud about your work, what inspires you, or what makes you want to flip your shit...

Attached: 206508_31b8_7.jpg (750x422, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZNljWecI9E
youtube.com/watch?v=fGZb5SpRCi0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)#Plot.
vimeo.com/269706956
youtube.com/watch?v=pDnBr2ze9n4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

youtube.com/watch?v=vZNljWecI9E

wagecuck director reporting in

if /biz/ makes me rich i will fund my own indie

Bump

>/biz/
Good luck m8
>Wagecuck
Do you mean that you're directing in parallel to your job or that directing doesn't pay much?

Eh, I've recently gotten into photography and aspect ratios.

My dream of acting is long dead and there's no chance I'll be the next Marty Scorsese.

>Do you mean that you're directing in parallel to your job
yes

What's on your mind for an indie movie?

home invasion thriller thats metaphor for culture war. i had this idea for a long time, unfortunetally movie called catfight came out right when trump became president, its very similar to my idea, but it doesnt use home invasion setting, so im hoping it would still feel fresh enough. and not a lot of people have seen catfight anyway, its a shame because its kino.

Sure it would feel fresh, it's unironicaly all about how you tell the story

Would you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get some sleep.

youtube.com/watch?v=fGZb5SpRCi0

Ey sorry bro my signal ain't working right

Attached: u_10138518.jpg (1000x887, 70K)

How do you write an outline? Tips? How many pages should it be?

i storyboard everything, each shot, i find it easier because i think in images and not words.

In general you should be good with about one page, just tell the story the same way you would tell it to one of your friends (with better vocabulary, obviously).
Also, no dialogue.
This is good too, especially if you're decent at drawing, but I personnaly prefer to make an outline, divide it per scene, then write the screenplay and (finally!) make a storyboard
Just remember, everybody has a different way of doing things, just go with what works best for you

What if you suck at drawing?

Just take pictures of a friend who will act as a stand-in for your character(s), it's a great way to find out quickly wether your shots are physically possible to pull off

I suck at drawing. Also, can you explain what you mean when you say you wrote an outline and divided it up by scene?

well its just for you anyway, this is how my storyboard looks like

Attached: sbsb.jpg (405x720, 34K)

So I need to write a longline, outline, then go to the screenplay? Cause I have a lot of it written out (no dialogue just more so like an outline of the scenes) but I wasn't sure what to do next. Also, how many time do you typically rewrite your screenplay

no man, you just try to make a short film, do some stupid shit, and on the next one you will know whats what

Well, here's an example I just pulled out of my ass:

Outline:
>The detective wakes up in a dark room. After a bit of investigating to find out where he is exactly, sleeping gas knock him out.
He wakes up, quite annoyed, in a filed of strawberries.

Outline divided per-scene:
1.The detective wakes up in a dark room and investigates. Sleeping gas knocks him out;
2.The detective wakes up in a field.

I've only done shorts, ans usualy I rewrite once or twice
Based
Honestly, the best way to get good is to make as many mistakes as possible before turning pro (if that's what you want)

Okay, so the outline isn't just a one to two page summary of everything that happens, right? It's like a short write up of each scene?

No, the outline is a summary of your story, like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaws_(film)#Plot.
Dividing that outline into scenes is just something I like to do

(Scroll down to the plot section)

vimeo.com/269706956
This is my first short film, did it last year in grade 12. It’s not great but it got into a local festival (student category) and I’m proud that I got it done. I learned a lot from the experience and hopefully my next short (which is horror) will be better. Plan to start filming that in a few weeks and have it done for the fall.

Neat, I also made a horror short last year, and I'm editing another one right now
youtube.com/watch?v=pDnBr2ze9n4
(last year's short, it's in french though)

How do you get into a festival?

Easy, look up online if there's any festivals close to you, check out their criteria to see if you're elligible and send your film(s). Voilà!

How expensive was it paying for actors, and equipment and all of the technical stuff. I'm guessing north of 6,000

For the scope of those projects, actors are for free (not counting water bottles and McDonald's)
Camera's about 650$-700$, but it can get pretty ridiculous if you buy lens or top tier cameras.
Shotgun mic's about 400$, don't get cheap when shopping for those, audio will objectively always be the most important aspect of your movie.
Makeup kit''s about 200$, if I remember correctly
Obviously, renting everything is cheaper, but for the project where we did rent equipment I wasn't the one paying, so I couldn't tell you the exact price.

All in all, I recommend lots of bargaining and lots of borrowing from good samaritans, otherwise you'll be broke pretty quick

Also, use Resolve 15 for editing (free and reliable)