Well this was the biggest waste of my time in a while. Why does this movie get so much praise?

Well this was the biggest waste of my time in a while. Why does this movie get so much praise?

Attached: 6324586_landscape.jpg (480x270, 25K)

Because it's good

Because tits

A24 shills

Could you explain a little why you think it's good?

I secretly pretend to like it in order to fool myself that I am of a higher taste. I really actually thought it was kinda bad. Same with it comes at night, kinda bad

Hereditary and midsommar are legit good films though

I tried watching it but everyone mumbled so lowly it was hard to understand a lot of what was said. The father had a good voice, though. I could listen to him read a book for hours. Also it wasn't scary at all.

Watched it at the movies and it's great. There's actually creepy moments. You come across as a insidious fan

My main gripe with it is that it's supposed to be scary and unsettling because of the period, where witch hunts were common and women died for nothing. This family tears itself apart because they think their eldest daughter is a witch, which is honestly a good plot for a thriller.

And then they put an actual witch in it, making them justified of being afraid, killing all the tension. Finally, they go nowhere with either plot and the movie just ends after everyone kills each other and the non-witch daughter becomes a witch.

This is beyond hipster trash.

"There's actually creepy moments" doesn't make a movie good. Do you even know why you like this movie beyond what said?

That peek-a-boo scene where the baby just vanishes had me chuckling. Couldn't take it seriously.

pleb filter

Could you perhaps go a little into why you like the movie? Otherwise I'll just throw you into the hipster "you just don't get it" pile.

You're a fucking idiot. If a horror film has creepy moments, the film has succeeded. You've made up your mind user, maybe try the film again when 18

Starts with c and ends with a y.

I'm good nigger

Attached: 1437457712135.png (357x278, 32K)

And I'm the pleb. Jesus.

Attached: 1034545400444.gif (205x211, 1.17M)

>villain is a goat
Lmao

Nekkid boy is insanely handsome.

Because it's "folk horror" that's based on the real history of the area. I didn't like it myself, too many false climaxes and plot points that ended up adding very little to the atmosphere for my taste. A Field in England takes much of the same idea, focus on a small cast, period costumes and "real" horror lore and presents it in a better package.
It's not praised all that much, but when you consider the sheer amount of meddling horror out there it makes sense that anything that isn't another derivative piece of pure fantasy gets praised.

The Witch isnt a genius film because it eschews typical horror tropes in favor of more subtle tools of suspense, although thats certainly a plus, the Witch is a genius film because its totally committed to the setting and the direction of the tale its telling. The Witch doesn't feel like youre watching a movie with a set up and punchline, where nearly every turn of plot is predictable, it feels like youre experiencing a nightmare with a family from a forgotten period of time in history, a world of primitive isolation where the imagination can run wild and the possibility of the real influence of evil can be felt.

It would be nice if it actually made you forgot that you're watching a horror film but they failed pretty miserably because of how it's been advertised. Also the soundtrack follows all of the old horror prompts.

tbqh i didnt think the witch was real

The soundtrack is one of the best parts of the movie, its really creepy.

The crops being poisoned is a comfy theory

>making them justified of being afraid, killing all the tension.
How did that kill the tension?

the dad ruined it
comical overacting throughout

>Why does this movie get so much praise?
THE TTITS

Attached: 1118full_sarah_stephens_(12)1.jpg (845x1079, 504K)

CORRUPTION

Because it's good.

I agree with this guy.

More like a "I read the Wikipedia article on the Salem witch trials, also John of Patmos ate shrooms" theory

This thread proves Yea Forums is full of pleb autismos

Attached: 962783v0vx621.jpg (1152x2048, 351K)

All you pleb niggers need to learn how to live deliciously

Great contribution

Found one!

What's it like being a pleb OP?

Except witches exist in this movie. Making the family justified in turning against one another. How can I sympathize with Thomasin when she could very well be a witch? Yet the movie doesn't seem to imply that it wants you to think she is. Would've worked way better as a legit period piece with no supernatural element, just psychological thriller/horror.

Because I no longer feel sorry/care for Thomasin as she could very well be a witch. I felt more for the dad until he got killed by a goat.

This movie went right over your head.

>Because I no longer feel sorry/care for Thomasin as she could very well be a witch.
But she wasn't a witch until the very end. The witch character that was tormenting the family was clearly a separate person. Honestly I don't think you have higher brain functions.

It's because there is an actual witch that it defuses all tension. In history, terrible things happened to women who were accused of witchcraft. This is terrifing on its own. But we all agree (I hope) that witches don't actually exist, which is a big part of what's so horrifying about it.

But here, there is a witch. A real one. In this world, witches exist for real (and evil goat demons). Meaning dad and mom aren't so insane in accusing their daughter of being a witch. For all we know, she could be one.

I've seen the movie now, I know she wasn't one until the end. I didn't know that until I got there though. And never does the film establish there can only be one witch (plus we see multiple at the end), so it's not because we saw a different witch that therefore Thomassin or the twins couldn't be some.

pathetic simpleton. stick to transformers little buddy, seems more your speed

This is why the movie went over the heads of smoothbrains like you. The very title of the movie is "A New England Folk Tale". As in it tells a tale of people from that era, people who did genuinely believe in witches. But what vacuum heads like yourself can't grasp is that it was not a black and white issue - people who lost their bodkin didn't say "A witch doth took it!" but if their child returned naked from the woods in a comatose state they didn't also think it was ergot poisoning. The whole tension in the movie is about that - that strange things are happening to them but they really can't explain what is going on. Any scenario is plausible and it's that uncertainty that tears their family apart and allows them to be further preyed upon by the witch. The witch exists but so does the family deterioration caused by their mistrust, and it's that that the witch takes advantage of.

Attached: shiggeth.jpg (500x500, 20K)

That's exactly the issue: there is a witch. There is an evil goat demon. There is no logical explanation for what is going on other than a witch that takes advantage of them. She took the baby. She ate the goats. The twins were talking to a real demon.

Had it been left metaphorical I would've agreed with 100% of what you said. But it's not, it's tangible, they are being preyed upon. And that just kills the "psychological/going mad" theme of the movie.

It establishes there is a monster, yet never delivers on said monster. Then blames you for expecting it to go somewhere with it, because it's after all just about a christian family killing each other over "folk tales". It's hipster pseudo-intellectual "too-deep-for-you" bullshit.

There is no theme of them going mad. What movie did you watch? The tension is that they don't trust each other and accuse each other of sinning and making mistakes. The witch is preying upon them but they don't just start thumping their Bibles about (though they do try to pray the evil away). They are alone because they have been banished. They make plans to seek help but they keep getting thwarted by circumstance and by the witch herself.

>It establishes there is a monster, yet never delivers on said monster.
Now really, what the fuck are you talking about? How is the movie trying to be too deep for you when it's called "The Witch" and it's literally about a a literal fucking witch?

Because the Black Philip posting made me laugh.

>Had it been left metaphorical I would've agreed with 100% of what you said. But it's not, it's tangible, they are being preyed upon. And that just kills the "psychological/going mad" theme of the movie.

The psychological/going mad isnt the theme of the movie, the theme of the movie is an overly prideful, devout Christian father doomed his family by taking them to a place he didn't know was haunted by the devil, and a family that doesnt trust itself, and the monster isn't just the witch, its the Devil, its a combination of Satan, the spectre of the witch, and the witch herself. Its not "too deep for you" its just overtly obvious until the very end and leaves some things to interpretation. If you didnt like it fine but dont call everything you dont like "hipster" trying to put it beneath you, that makes you the hipster, you dolt.

>Would've worked way better as a legit period piece with no supernatural element, just psychological thriller/horror
Shut up you dumb faggot

*not overtly obvious, is what I meant

I found the tone, atmosphere, and pacing to be superb. The dialogue was written and delivered extremely well in the style, and everything combined helped to make it feel very much like watching some insidious evil take place. To put it another way, it delivered perfectly on all the elements it was attempting. Biblical horror resonates with me, perhaps because biblical stuff is so prevalent in the background of our culture. Idk. But it does. And like all horror movies that are to my tastes, it knows that the more you leave to mystery the better. The movie never felt expository and the satanic influences always felt alien and incomprehensible on some level. Horror preys on what can personally effect someone though, so if you don't like biblical horror or you don't consider a movie really horror if its ENTIRELY 'atmosphere' then you won't like it and won't be able to appreciate the pacing at all because it will all feel like a slog. That being said, some of the scenes in the woods were shot with some budget equipment that aliased like fucking crazy (honestly pretty fucking embarrassing for a production of this level) and if your display is even slightly off you can expect the 'witch pastes the baby' scene to look like absolute shit. But all in all I loved it

I think that's a common thought but I'm not sure the father's pride and downfall was really intended to be the arc. Perhaps its naive of me but I get the impression it was genuinely just a horror movie about the devil.

>>But we all agree (I hope) that witches don't actually exist
>He doesn't know

look man, some people watch horror for some big monster payoff, some people watch it for the story. Its okay.

There are certainly witches and certainly viscous they are. our attempts to remind them of reason won't get us that far.

I find it amusing user is upset a horror movie called The Witch features a witch as the boogeyman.

>how can i sympathize with thomasin when could...
dude its called suspense. Maybe she is a witch. Maybe the twins are witches. How is that bad? Generally in a horror/suspense genre having questions like these are considered fundamentally good things.