Evangelion themes and philosophy

Original thread was about the new movie but evolved into discussions about the subject matter of the Eva series as a whole

Attached: 1562374854546.png (1920x1080, 3.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5FgLgRjCLJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck off to your containtment board faggot scum

>but evolved into discussions about the subject matter of the Eva series as a whole

like every evagalion discussion for past 24 years, Its been done and if you don't get it you might actually be stupid

you netflix fags make want to puke

Attached: 1300575737001.png (400x486, 52K)

What's more pathetic: discussing the themes of a story you've newly discovered? Or literally seething over people discussing something that you don't want to discuss?

>I ALREADY DID THIS SO THAT MEANS NOBODY ELSE CAN DO IT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Don't reply to my posts again you fucking bitch I'll have you good and proper

Back to g/a/y

Attached: Screenshot_20190619-095022.png (1280x720, 284K)

Imagine discussing the philosophy of a fucking cartoon lmao

Imagine making fun of anybody else when you're posting on a fucking Japanese cartoon website lmaoooo

The material and immaterial intertwine and aren't clearly defined lines, sure. But we can through experimenting at the very least see that an isolated brain is matter, and that the intangible elements of the brain can be tampered with or outright destroyed by using physical means. What are you trying to say exactly? Spell it out for me. I'm kind of retarded.

um sweety, this is a television and film board, not a "i have autism and i watch cartoons as an adult" board

>Evangelion themes and philosophy

Attached: 1561871770662.jpg (600x385, 88K)

>The material and immaterial intertwine and aren't clearly defined lines, sure.
No, you're still not getting it. The very concept of a binary "material vs. immaterial" view is wrong and antiquated. All "matter" is composed of electrons, point particles that have no mass or volume. How can something with no mass or volume create something with mass and volume? "Physical objects" aren't actually solid, when you try to touch something, your finger isn't actually pressing up against the object, what's happening is there's a force field that repels the particles in your finger from getting near the particles in the object. You and every physical object is just a cloud of immaterial particles, or waves, or energy.

I don't think there's really all that much going on philosophically. EoE a very emotional film above all else, embarrassingly so

I watched it again last night and I came away with the same feelings I always have about it. It's a great film, possibly a masterpiece, because it's so committed to throwing away everything so as to be emotionally effective. Narrative and character in the first half are quite beautifully done, but the second half sacrifices it for imagery. A main character becomes recontextualised as a weird deity that gets its neck slashed open because it realises that these characters are only the means to present this imagery of supreme emotional weight

In the process though it resorts to the most juvenile stupid sort of teenage whining. Shinji crying because he thinks the girls are playing with his heart must be one of the most embarrassing things ever put to film. The movie is so emotionally raw that it inevitably runs into that.

But then you get scenes of dramatic greatness, like Shinji and Asuka argument with the coffee and the scene at the very end that save you from the cringe.

>Shinji crying because he thinks the girls are playing with his heart must be one of the most embarrassing things ever put to film.
You totally missed the point. The point is that Shinji doesn't believe anybody could actually love him because he hates himself and doesn't think he's worthy of love, and that's what's prevented him from allowing anyone to get close. It's not about girls and crushes, it's about human connection in general.

>themes and philosophy
Lemme help you out, it has neither

To add to this, it's essentially saying that his perception of the world is false, inaccurate, and it's that way because of his own feelings. How you feel inside, about yourself, affects how you see the world and other people. The girls truly loved him, but he couldn't see it because his own self hatred was blinding him to reality.

>It's not about girls and crushes
But that exactly what that scene is about. How could you possibly interpret it differently?

Can you fucking read?

Yeah, you go on to say that "actually it's just Shinji's perception". That's obvious. It doesn't change the fact that the scene is still about a teenager whining about girls messing him around

Did some slave have to draw all those crosses

Jesus Christ you're a literal brainlet

Explain how I'm wrong. I know the point is that Shinji's perception is false. You're assuming that that stops the scene from being tasteless and cringe

Ow thats gotta hurt

Attached: chunk.jpg (640x366, 66K)

I already explained it, that's why you're a brainlet. Shinji thinking the girls don't really like him is a representation of the broader concept of one's own views and beliefs giving them an inaccurate picture of the objective world, which in the case of self-loathing makes you wrongly believe that the people who love you don't actually love you. This is extremely basic shit, it's literally one level below the surface.

It doesn't change the fact that it shows a teenage boy whining about crushes. If you were honest with yourself, you'd admit that it was embarrassing and juvenile. I never said that that subtext isn't in the film. It's not actually even subtext, characters literally say it, so the idea that somehow I didn't notice it is retarded. It does work in the context of the film, I wouldn't say it's a detriment, and that's my point: the film is very emotionally raw and ends up very teenage because of it

Because it's made for fucking teenagers, you dumbass. The example they use is juvenile because the character is 14, and the character is 14 in part because another part of the series' message is about how pathetic it is when you don't grow the fuck up and stay immature and juvenile, afraid to face the real world, running away from responsibility.

Does it have the original subs for 1-26? I know they fucked up EoE but if they have the original nip audio/subs I might reup netfix just to run through it again

The Netflix version is new translation all together. It's a solid one though.

Information is immaterial, as in the expression of a Fibonacci spiral in nature is material, but that which encodes that shape is not

>I know they fucked up EoE
No they did't. Manga's translation was steamy shit and filled with add-libs and falsities.

I think you're confusing my calling the scene "juvenile" as me saying that it's ill-fitting or bad. It's not. It's just tasteless and crass, as most of the film is. That's the point, as you go on to say in your post. You're offended by me stating the facts about the film, when you clearly agree with them and I've already said that I think it's a great film. If you don't find scenes like that embarrassing then you have a faulty brain

It's almost like he's an awkward teenager or something...........

go back to r/eddit

>watching Evangelion with someone
>they check their phone during the elevator scene

Attached: 272d3f1985fbb13fd8701390fa2c8723--eyes.jpg (236x231, 9K)

How is even possible to be this dense

>calls something juvenile, tasteless, crass, embarrassing
>"lol what you thought I meant it in a bad way? you moron"
You're either trolling or legitimately autistic

Notice how I haven't once called you stupid or anything like that. You're just offended by the fact that I can admit that it's juvenile and embarrassing and for whatever reason you cannot, despite agreeing with me that it's depicting immature feelings
>but Shinji's perception is wrong and that of an adolescent, the film is self-aware about it
I know this, as I've stated numerous times

I like Evangelion but don’t you find it kinda gay that giant robot battles and epic enochian lore is used as a metaphor for Shinji’s emotional retardation?

>Freudian psych
>"I chose it because it sounds cool"
Pfftt. Basically this stallion is right It's pretty good but for other reasons.

This is an anime site retard

No. I think it's beautiful

Always relevant

Attached: 9t8wyoaesewz.png (1600x1492, 1.61M)

In my first post I called the film great and even possibly a masterpiece before I went into that.

You didn't get it. Go back to episode 1

>how can you interpret it any differently

The NPC mind at work, everyone

I fucking hate normalfags, why don't fucking kill yourselves.
Do us a favor.

I'm not watching that trash ever again. I very much got it, as everyone did, because it literally explains itself to the audience. Because the writing is so bad

This poster is 14

Discussing the themes of a story you've newly discovered.

>I-it's not about a teenage boy crushing on girls, even though that is literally actually what it is about and there's no way to deny that

That’s why it’s great retard

b a c k t o 1

I'm tired of "discussing" Evangelion with you dummies, no one even gets it but me.

No I'm an adult who can admit that watching things about adolescent immature feelings can be very cringe at times

It’s about forming connections with others, the conduit is a 14 year old. You’re either thick as fuck or trolling incredibly poorly.

It’s intended to be cringe you literal child, Shinji represents the thoughts that everyone has had regarding any type of relationship. You getting hung up on the specifics isn’t mature it’s a great indicator of how little your mind can process at a time.

>It’s about forming connections with others,
Obviously, as I've said numerous times already in this thread. I'll say it once more: that doesn't change the fact that it depicts a teenager whining about women messing him around

What a meaningless point to drag out for 10+ posts lmao

Attached: 0370b106d89efbf15fe264ff327a5b62.jpg (595x800, 60K)

>themes and philosophy
>from an anime
absolute kek

>It’s intended to be cringe you literal child
I've said that already, and that it's in-line with the message of the film. My entire point is that the film is very emotionally raw and honest and that it often ends up embarrassing because of it

FUCK OFF NETFLIX EVALETS

SAGE

That’s the point, what are you even trying to say?

What does Misato taste like? Also why does she wear a big plus sign?

Attached: pits.png (501x679, 714K)

>as he posts on an anime image board

Because she’s a big guy

People think I'm calling the movie bad, even though I called it a masterpiece. They think finding something crass or tasteless equates with me thinking it's bad. There are lots of tasteless and crass movies that I think are great.

Nobody knows what the fuck you’re saying retard. Eva isn’t tasteless or crass. It’s all done extremely well, intimately, and relatable.

>Nobody knows what the fuck you’re saying retard
Because they have zero reading comprehension
>Eva isn’t tasteless or crass.
The movie begins with boy masturbating over a comatose girl

Yikes dude. How does it feel to brush off an entire medium of diverse and thought-provoking art forms? Do you also say you don’t like seafood?

It's Shinji at his lowest. The scene isn't set to NIN while he licks his fingers.

So from now on is it just going to be assumed that every Eva thread is only made because somebody watched it on Netflix

>I'm an adult who can admit that watching things about adolescent immature feelings can be very cringe at times
>he said on an anime forum
Being old doesn't make you mature, being grown doesn't make you an adult. Nobody here is an adult, because adults don't piss away their lives shitposting on Yea Forums. You're seriously lacking in self-awareness.

I very much admire that scene because it's emotionally naked and disturbing. But obviously it isn't tasteful.

Sexuality isn’t tasteless or crass, it’s an accurate depiction of the worst thoughts of the average person. Have sex incel, degeneracy is a literal meme and you’re not mature, older, or better than anyone for regarding it as such.

Jesus fucking Christ, you're literally autistic

>Sexuality isn’t tasteless or crass, it’s an accurate depiction of the worst thoughts of the average person.
Masturbating over someone in a coma obviously is tasteless and crass. I agree that it's honest though, which I why I like the movie so much

Have sex

Who sounds more autistic: the person who thinks a scene where someone masturbates over someone in a coma can be "tasteful" or the one who doesn't?

You are just shitposting at this point.

The act itself, sure. The way it’s presented in the film, not at all.

It literally shows you the semen dripping from his hand

>t. Platonic thinker

You have no concept whatever of subtlety or implication. I legitimately think you have Asperger's

No I'm just an honest person. If you showed that scene to the average person, they would all agree with me.

Unironically: good point

It doesn't make any of it explicit, though. Nothing is shown, it's all implied. The film doesn't tell you that's semen on his hand, it expects you to understand that without making it explicit.
If you legitimately can't figure out the difference between that scene, and explicitly showing a boy masturbating and ejaculating, you really do have autism.

And why is this tasteless or crass American?

No, they wouldn't. You're delusional. Get help.

way to undermine your own point by putting it in this faggy snarky manner

If you think the average normal person would think that scene was beautiful and tasteful then you're demented

>The film doesn't tell you that's semen on his hand, it expects you to understand that without making it explicit.
Fuck off.

youtube.com/watch?v=5FgLgRjCLJY

has animation gotten worse since the original?

But that's literally the case. The first time I watched it I didn't know what the fuck just happened, I had to rewind it and watch the scene again before figuring it out.
This isn't complicated, I don't know why anyone would have so much trouble grasping the concept of subtlety and implication.

Differentfag here, I fucking hate all seafood except for canned tuna.

>The first time I watched it I didn't know what the fuck just happened
You have something wrong with your brain.

if something being in poor taste isn't a big deal to you, why are you making such a big deal of some EoE scenes being tasteless?

I haven't. I've just stated the facts about the movie and people have gotten butthurt acting as if I'm calling the movie bad, even though I said it was a great film in my first post

It's called being a teenager, genius. Not all of us just watched it for the first time last week on Netflix

If you watched it as a teenager that should make it even more obvious what was going on

Nobody's butthurt, you sperg. We're simply trying to explain to you why you're autistic.

You've tried and failed.

Shinji had never done anything like that in the series, it was very unexpected. I think you're being disingenuous.

Clearly.

Look at the buttmad autist incel and laugh everyone

Explain to me why finding a scene where a teenage boy whines about women he's crushing on embarrassing is "autistic". Imagine showing that scene to a normal friend from work or whatever. What do you think they would make of it?

This the most autistic post I've ever seen

Just because you see reflected back at you your own autism. You know deep down that a normal person would find that scene cringe.

What a mindfuck this thread was. Imagine talking to these people irl.

This is the state of the Evabrainboy. Anything Anno shits out, they'll gobble up and drool about some deeper meaning. Even if you understand the scene pitch perfect, they'll seethe if you don't call it brilliant.

Again, you know I'm right and insulting me won't hide that

Not him, just an observer. Both of you should have sex.

It's simple, it's anti-escapism. Shinji is the focal point.

Asuka represents escapism because she lives in the fantasy of being "the #1" EVA pilot, and her personality is based around that. She escapes her shitty life by betting everything on that, and she was essentially brainwashed into being this way. She's a puppet.
Rei represents realism, as Rei never denies reality but instead seeks to understand it no matter how painful. When she's confronted by her own feelings and nature in for instance episode 23, Rei doesn't recoil away in fear or deny it, rather she tries to understand it and even understand the Angel. As a result, she flips the situation and wins.

In End of Evangelion, we see Asuka living out her escapism "one last time" as she dies on the battlefield commanded by Isra-, er, NERV, while Rei rejects NERV and takes back her divine body. Literally Rei ascends into a godlike form and Asuka lies rotting in the mud.

Hence Shinji succumbs to escapism, and Rei helps him out of it.

So which ending are we on now? The sixth or seventh? Christ, why can't they just pick one and let the whole thing die?

In context it’s perfectly fine. Your argument is taking this scene out of context and showing it to someone with no prior knowledge makes it bad?

We do have reason to believe Asuka is the #1 Eva pilot, though. She often saves the day before her downward spiral.

A normal person has had those exact thoughts lmao, 20+ posts in and you still don’t have a point

I would really like to know how people who have no knowledge of Eva and only watch the rebuilds would review and analyze the movies. I feel like discussion about them is burdened by the original series too much.
We could encourage a bunch of random people to watch them and see what they think

Attached: askmst.jpg (1598x785, 136K)

Ahh, there he is. Right on cue, now the thread can really take the plunge into pure autism.

Attached: 1561813391853.png (400x400, 20K)

In context it depicts exactly the same thing. It shows a teenage boy whining about women being deceitful. Obviously Shinji's perception is wrong, but it doesn't stop the scene from being cringe, complete with a 14 year-old girl licking her lips to the camera. Normal people would obviously find that cringe

is this the most brutal faith a character had to endure in fiction?

Attached: eva.png (602x338, 224K)

Yeah when they're 14, and when they're older they find it embarrassing.

Emperor bux from the wastrels in nipland that haven't left the fanbase, god knows why not. Same situation with some of the folks present in the thread right now

You’re just asserting your point. You’re not making an argument. I don’t understand why you don’t think most people have these exact thoughts, oh wait the autism.

Now you know you are conversing with teenagers

I’m not 14 and I don’t find it cringe, the multiple normies I’ve shown it to didn’t find it cringe, you’re just spouting your own opinion and assuming everyone thinks the same.

>you're just asserting your point
That's called making an argument, you retarded faggot. It doesn't have to be approved by your idiot brain to be one.

Teenagers and immature people do have these thoughts. Older people who think normally find it cringe. I'm not so much making an argument as facing people with this fact, and for some reason they have a hard time accepting it. I love EoE but it's emotionally very raw and delves into teenage feelings that are often very embarrassing.

An assertion without evidence behind it isn’t an argument kiddo, it’s a temper tantrum

>don't talk about that thing you watched the first time because I watched it 20 years ago

Fuckin kill yourself

Would you accept or reject instrumentality?

>think normally

This is your brain on conservatism

STOP POSTING ABOUT THIS FAGGOT GAY ANIME SHIT JUST FYCK OFF TO THE ANIME BOARD

Attached: 1562367313401.png (500x334, 200K)

Reject obviously, I like being me

Just go back to your moms netflix account and stay there incel

>adults have never been teenagers or immature
>people cannot identify with teenage immaturity once they pass a certain age

Brilliant logic lad

imagine sharing a soul with the spergs on Yea Forums

>wah wah people need to learn to connect. just link your hearts bro.

Miss me with that gay shit

I think partially that is what the film is about, and I think Anno has said something along similar lines. The film is to a certain extent talking to adults that refuse to grow up. In which case, the ideal watcher would learn to find those scenes cringe, as they would have learned to be more self-reflective and mature.

>An assertion without evidence
Evidence of what, autist? These argents are based entirely on opinion. This is a discussion about personal taste. You have no evidence to speak of either; no statements are made to even counterargue that user's opinion. You're simply going NUH-UH at every post. You're the sperge here.

Attached: IMG_20190704_231435.jpg (232x261, 12K)

>author is depressed sack of shit
>makes self insert character of himself thats also depressed sack of shit + two waifus
why are nips so pathetic?

Yes brainlet that’s the point of the film. It’s literally a coming of age story about releasing the self hatred of adolescence as multiple people have stated. I’ll ask the same thing everyone else has asked you, what is your point? What are you arguing?

>why yes I did watch evangelion how could you tell

Attached: d65.jpg (600x480, 83K)

If it’s about personal taste then maybe that poster should stop making assumptions and assertions about what the rest of society thinks and stick to his OWN opinions.

>YO NIGGA THE FIELD IS BLUE ANGELS POPPING WHATS GOOD

Attached: 3AABCB49-9845-40A7-B846-A3AC195C5DEC.jpg (1047x916, 67K)

Dude is literally saying every adult would see these things and think a certain way, that’s not an opinion retard.

The 2nd bomb.

Had a chuckle at him trying to get with Misato only to be shot down for the Kaji dick.

Evidence that others think the way he says they do would be nice, he’s just assuming everyone thinks the same way he does

She doesn't, she fucks up the entire time. Statistically she's the worst pilot and caused the most damage not only to herself but her teammates.

The entire thread has been people agreeing with me yet acting as if I hate the movie, even though I don't. I myself have stated that the film is intentionally addressing adolescent, embarrassing feelings. But because I admit that I find those scenes cringe (as it the intent) people assume that I hate it.

I've said my point several times. Here it is again: EoE is a borderline masterpiece because it sacrifices everything for emotion. In the process, it touches on often embarrassing teenage feelings, because something about emotional nakedness and honesty is inherently teenage.

Jokes on Kaji that nibba ded

What exactly does it sacrifice again? I mean you say "emotion" as if it sacrifice everything else, including logic, plot and son....

But EoE was perfectly reasonable.

Attached: 1562312213935.jpg (1163x1500, 183K)

I'm the one who's being called autistic. That obviously implies that I'm mentally abnormal, so I'm only asking whether or not mentally "normal" people would or would not find those scenes cringe. I think they would.

In what way is emotional nakedness and honesty teenage?

Isn't she/it a god at that point?

Even after he died the nerd didn't get any.

Goddamn I love firing you neets up.

Ok, no one else in this thread does. Go do a sample trial and get back to us, otherwise you’re backing up your argument with your own assumptions.

The first half is, ignoring the absolutely retarded nonsensical lore. The characterisation in the first half in particular is really coherent and great. In the second half it purposefully disregards an intelligible narrative and (with Rei in particular) character for introspection and emotionally evocative imagery.

>Ok, no one else in this thread does.
Because they're in denial.

she literally is just a person who is forced to travel through the darkness of space for all eternity.
all alone and unable to move.
imagine being tied to a bed in a completely dark room for an entire year with zero human interaction or even outside sounds to distract you. you would go crazy.
now multiply that by infinity

Chill the fuck out.

It's perfectly reasonable to think the regular audience would cringe. Not because they think the scene is shit necessarily, but because of the extreme discomfort and second hand embarrassment.

There's nothing wrong with the second part either. Care to point them out?

My view of EoE is that it played the ending of the series perfectly straight, keeping to the lore and promised apocalypse they had been talking about earlier.

The scenes with Rei are also perfectly sane given how important Rei and Shinji's relationship is earlier in the show. It couldn't have been anyone BUT Rei in there trying to make Shinji snap out of it. No one else in power plotwise either.

Attached: 1562021153104.jpg (800x460, 51K)

Because teenagers tend to be emotionally vulnerable, in the process of becoming adults.

Cringe is a physical repulsion, you can’t push that away with denial. You seem to be the one in denial that not everyone views something the same way you do. #autismspeaks

see Yui is in hell. Where she deserves to be.

People are emotionally vulnerable throughout their lives this is a non sequitur.

What was Yui's end goal? Did she actually care about Gendo or Shinji? Was she the real big bad?

Like all genocidal mass murderers.

Yui is a nobody who camped in EVA01, hoping for the best.

She wanted to be the proof that humanity existed. She loved Shinji with all of her heart, she trusted Gendo to take care of him and he betrayed that.

I cringed when I saw the scene. Not because it was a bad scene, but because of the content.

>There's nothing wrong with the second part either
Not once have I said that EoE is bad. I literally called it a masterpiece. That's my point: EoE has scenes it in that are cringe inducing because it is so emotionally raw. People are offended by this for whatever reason

There is nothing in the TV show that really anticipates Rei becoming a deity sucking up souls through vagina hands. The movie sacrifices her as a character so she can become a tool of emotional expression through visuals

Don't really see why she had to collaborate in the end of the world for that to happen. I got the impression that she had everything planned out more than anyone else.

Adults tend to be stronger and better equipped to deal with such things though.

I can't believe that I'm arguing with people what teenagers tend to be emotionally vulnerable, when pop culture has accepted that as a truism for more than a century

You’re incredibly inarticulate if the obvious point of these scenes is what your argument is as no one has actually understood what you’ve been trying to say.

Rei’s character literally culminates in EoE when she rejects Gendo and chooses Shinji for instrumentality. It’s why she’s a great character, she is not a puppet.

>Ritsuko's single motivation throughout the series was getting Gendo's cock

>THREE (3) Eva threads on Yea Forums
>zero on Yea Forums and only 2 on Yea Forums
Why the fuck is this allowed?

>There is nothing in the TV show that really anticipates Rei becoming a deity sucking up souls through vagina hands. The movie sacrifices her as a character so she can become a tool of emotional expression through visuals

I certainly disagree. It always lay in the cards, with Rei being heavily foreshadowed as an Angel deity in the series. Since episode 1, in fact.
I don't think it's a sacrifice of a character either, it's the ultimate validation of it.
The beauty in it lies that even when Rei chooses to abandon her human life and rejoin with her original body, Rei STILL chooses to keep her own form as Rei. Rei then continues to do EXACTLY what you'd expect Rei to do:

Shut down the "baddies" (SEELE) by hijacking their instrumentality EVA's.
Get to Shinji ASAP and talk him out of a goddamned suicide, i.e delivering on her promise to protect him.

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws] 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン/Ep.01 「第壱話 EPISODE:1 使徒、襲来」 ( (1440x1080, 1.8M)

I can’t believe you think that adults don’t experience emotional vulnerability throughout their lives and that only teenagers have these types of thoughts.

Pretty powerful moment too.

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws] 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 -The End of Evangelion- 第26話 まごこ� (1920x1080, 2.32M)

>as did her mother.
Deep and meaningful. It shows women are whores.

You have to be 18 to post here

A divine awakening befitting of Rei's stature in the Evangelion lore.

There's just so much goodness in this here alone. Rei has been tricked her entire life into thinking she was essentially no one, and she spent so much time finding out what she was.
Her reward, for defining and searching out herself, is the divine godhood which enables her to make change in her life.

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws] 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 -The End of Evangelion- 第26話 まごこ� (1920x1080, 2.36M)

It's not that I'm inarticulate, it's that Yea Forums so regularly divides arguments into "x is good" and "no you're wrong you fucking cunt, x is bad", that when someone bothers to say they like something while explaining potentially negative aspects of it, people assume they hate it, when it cannot be further from the case. Yea Forums doesn't do nuance.
I agree that Rei's character does culminate in EoE, as do all the characters, but the second half uses them all (particularly Rei) as a utility for abstract imagery

It shows that everyone is starved for validation from those around them brainlet, it’s a great example of how Eva’s themes are universal and aren’t limited to teenage angst as this poster thinks.

think back to Misato’s breakdown with Kaji when she admits she’s the same as Shinji.

>I agree that Rei's character does culminate in EoE, as do all the characters, but the second half uses them all (particularly Rei) as a utility for abstract imagery

see that's a nope

Rei is practically one of the only characters that actually have a personal, ongoing agency in the second half.

Yui wasn't starved of validation but from the flashbacks it sounds like several people fucking loved her and the women around her were jelly as fuck of her.

I've never said that Eva's themes are limited to teenage angst, just that it is so emotionally honest and raw that it inevitably runs into teenage/immature feelings.

>He says debating about the emotional and mental stability of a depressed 14 year old boy and thinks an experienced adult could relate the exact same way.

No, you’re just extremely inarticulate and can’t get your point across coherently. That will get better as you grow and mature little guy.

>Rei has been tricked her entire life into thinking she was essentially no one
There is some gnosticism in this angle. Neat.

EoE is GOAT for doing a straight take involving the characters that realistically could make a difference.

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws] 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 -The End of Evangelion- 第26話 まごこ� (1920x1080, 2.41M)

>adults were never teenagers
>people can only identify with their own peer group
>virtually every adult in the show suffers from the hedgehogs dilemma
>the mc is a teenager so it’s all teenage angst

Big brain takes

>There is nothing in the TV show that really anticipates Rei becoming a deity sucking up souls through vagina hands.
We see in episode 01 that Rei is beyond Rei. She appears before actually appearing.
We see in the fight against Angel nr 16 (using the original numbers, I cannot give a single fuck about the rebuild), before the explosion, her quasi-divinity.
So yeah, no. Lot of foreshadowing.

>Rei is practically one of the only characters that actually have a personal, ongoing agency in the second half.
No fictional character has agency, for the obvious reasons. But are you trying to tell me that Rei isn't used for abstract imagery in the second half of EoE? I think that's fairly disingenuous. Look at OP's pic as an example.

In the narrative of EoE she does disobey Gendo, though, if that's what you mean.

He is just clearly a very insecure person.

Yui was so starved for validation that humanity existed from those in the future that she killed herself for it.

You're proving my point. Arguments here devolve into insults and "no, x is good" rather than anything with nuance.

>no fictional character has agency

Nigga shut the fuck up

You're right, Rei is implied to be supernatural in the TV show. I'm wrong in that sense.

They don't though. They're told what to do by an author.

All I’m saying is you’re bad at getting your point across and that for someone who claims to be the paragon of maturity you have difficulty putting yourself in other people’s shoes. If you can’t take the ebin bantz I suggest you come back when you’re 18

You’re blowing minds with these hot takes bro, keep it up

Agency within the story. I assumed that was understood.

>But are you trying to tell me that Rei isn't used for abstract imagery in the second half of EoE? Look at OP's pic as an example.
The picture you refers to isn't abstract, is it? It's part of the process. The instrumentality machine dying down.

Like this picture, it isn't abstract, it's an actual on-going happening. Rei is assimilating the MP-EVA's, so she can sort of push SEELE out of the equation. By doing that, she inevitably becomes part of the instrumentality machine herself.

OP's picture is showcasing the success of Rei's operation, the instrumentality ending and thus the destruction of the medium. It's completely out there and grotesque, but still entirely without abstraction unless you count film as an abstract form of meaning.

>In the narrative of EoE she does disobey Gendo, though, if that's what you mean.
No, Rei already did that before. In fact the whole thing that she can't disobey NERV or Gendo is a meme. Rei makes it clear that their goals align, more or less. She respect Gendo, but not enough to overrule him when she sees necessary.

The whole thing is more about Rei quite literally, finding herself in the bowels of Terminal Dogma, where Gendo has kept her real identity hidden from her. She takes it back, takes her toll, and moves on without him.

Attached: [NAOKI-Raws] 新世紀エヴァンゲリオン劇場版 -The End of Evangelion- 第26話 まごこ� (1920x1080, 2.28M)

>for someone who claims to be the paragon of maturity
I never claimed that
>you have difficulty putting yourself in other people’s shoes
I'm the one who has tried to argue my point the entire thread while others insult me and call me autistic.
>If you can’t take the ebin bantz I suggest you come back when you’re 18
I don't mind it but it's a bit demoralising when you're trying to talk about a movie you really love and others become immediately defensive about it

Based, well said

Then naturally, Rei goes on to do what she's promised earlier, to protect Shinji.
I mean Rei likes the kid, even romantically I believe. So she's going to go to Shinji and help him, since well, that's how Rei do.

Shinji sure is lucky to have had a goddess take interest in him.

>It shows that everyone is starved for validation from those around them brainlet, it’s a great example of how Eva’s themes are universal and aren’t limited to teenage angst.
It's cute you think so. Ritsuko's troubles are basically trying to one-up her mother by going after the same man she did and exploring the same field. It's not that much different from teen angst, she's dealing with very complicated emotions regarding her mother. As did Misato with with her father.

Your first 10 posts were you claiming mature people can’t identify with emotional nakedness. Arguing your own point while disregarding disagreement isn’t putting yourself in other people’s shoes, it is autistic. No one has claimed you don’t love eva, quit bitching about it already jfc

I don’t view those two phenomena as disconnected, they’re still hedgehog’s dilemmas, just with more depth.

The giant being is not Rei, just her image.

While EoE is a great film, its not exactly a subtle one, mate.

>Your first 10 posts were you claiming mature people can’t identify with emotional nakedness.
I never said that, just that they naturally find it embarrassing.
>Arguing your own point while disregarding disagreement
I never did that though

It's Rei, what on earth makes you think otherwise?

Claiming an emotional response you have is “natural” is essentialist, the absolute opposite of putting yourself in other people’s shoes.

>this character on the screen who is named Rei, is a direct continuation of Rei's character from a previous scene, acts like Rei, somehow isn't Rei

How's that schizophrenia treating you? Capgras Syndrome, was it?

I never said it was subtle, it’s bombastic which is why it’s great

>The movie begins with boy masturbating over a comatose girl
Scene deemed necessary both in-story and as a meta-commentary.
WHOOOOOOOSH

Reminder that End of Evangelion is the first Rebuild and if you like it you are a brainlet who doesn't understand Evangelion like Kazuya Tsurumaki, the director of both EoE and Rebuild.
>What do you think about Gendo Ikari?”
>Gendo was meant to be a strong father who should have a positive influence on Shinji so that he could grow to be more confident and adult-like. Many modern fathers in Japan are "mollycoddled" which was another reason to make Ikari Gendo into a strong father.

Evangelion's pretty much been fully disected.
Main ideas in the simplest of terms are
>jungian psychology
>stop being a fucking otaku
You can obviously springboard into a vast discussion from here, but I've been in Eva threads for years and the same shit is always repeated.
The ideas aren't why this anime is even good.
It's the direction.

>The picture you refers to isn't abstract, is it?
It shows the crucified body of an "angel" with its head/neck squirming and distorting as the anime face of the character Rei moans orgasmically.
There's obviously lore that backs it up, but that's not what's interesting or emotionally evocative about the imagery.

God this tsurumaki guy is retarded.

From what I've heard Anno is the only one ob the staff that got eva, a lot of them didn't get some of the characters either.

EoE has old Anno as a director anyway,
Your point is moot.
And what happens on-screen has been foreshadowed in the whole series.

I'm not an essentialist but I have an idea of what most normal people think. I'm not the one who has brought autism into the discussion. Other people have, and they are the ones who think it's worth considering what is and isn't mentally abnormal

But is terrifying and surreal, and I suppose that's where the value lies. It's alien.
But also necessary to create this universe where the impossible is being made possible.

Nope. None of them really "got it" since they're all busy making anime jerk off waifus spinoffs.

Where have I denied that? Doesn't stop the scene from being tasteless

He made FLCL. What the fuck have you done?

Afraid of sexuality, user?

It’s a literal impossibility to know how most people think. You’re claiming not to be an essentialist while employing their very arguments. Autism is inherently linked with thinking one way and seeing everyone else as doing the same. Do you see why you’re being called an inarticulate autist?

FILTERED.COM

If a scene has
1) the meta commentary, negative, on the fandom
2) the task of showing a character in his low
sure thing will contain such character doing something disgusting.
If you felt disgusted, it means it was successful.

If you've seen the FLCL commentary it makes it seem that FLCL was a freak accident of genius.

No I'm just a rational human being that knows that a scene showing a boy masturbating over a comatose girl and the semen dripping from his hand obviously isn't tasteful.
If you think that's sexually healthy then you have something wrong with you.

You can think back as a kid his age, back to all the mood swings, the hormones, the search for a place in the world. That's what it means to grow up. An adult can suffer the pangs of a troubled childhood but how they go through it won't be as they would a teenager. Literally their frontal cortex aren't as developed. They make rash, immature decisions. If you find an adult acting the same, then they are stunted.

>b-but hedgehog's dilemma
How very basic. By the implications of the show, every human suffered from it.

The act is tasteless, I don’t know how you could have a scene depicting a 14 year old boy masturbating over a comatose 14 year old girl more tasteful than done in EoE. How would you have done it?

See Context matters.

If you look at the production of FLCL you'll also see that it was very iterative. Everything that's there is on purpose.

Not him - Shinju grunting with his tongue out, and more creepy shots on Asuka could have been a start.

I know these things. That still doesn't make the scene tasteful.

What’s your point?

>If you think that's sexually healthy
You fucking dumbass, it's not supposed to turn you on you're supposed to think it's disgusting because it's a metaphor for otaku obsession and shinji's own rapidly declining mental state.

Jesus, Eva isn't even hard to decode why are all these netflix secondaries so dense?

Everyone knows this. The user I was responding to was the one asking if I was "afraid of sexuality", as if it were a normal sex act.

The act itself isn’t what people are arguing about it’s the representation of it in the film retard

It's one of my favourite scenes in the movie.

Yes and they're saying that it's "tasteful" because it doesn't show Shinji full-on masturbating his cock. They think that showing the cum dripping from his hand instead is somehow far more tasteful.

It was shit

Sexuality doesn't just mean normal sex.
It's a broad term that encompasses any acts of sex.
That includes the dark places on that spectrum.

It's like trying to say the word "humanity" only means the good parts and leaves out ideas like war, hatred, death, etc.

It's one of the only truly great things to come out of popular animation in the last two decades.

Right but that user was asking if I thought the scene was tasteless because I was a prude, which is not the case. I think it's tasteless because it depicts depicts something crass and disturbing (again, bearing in mind that I think it's a great scene)

>That still doesn't make the scene tasteful.
You perhaps know, but don't understand.

Adult =/= teenager. People can understand why he did what he did in the hospital but won't say that it's normal outside of him being a 14 year old in great distress.

Yes it is. How would you have made the scene more tasteful master director?

I 100% know. It's one of my favourite scenes in the movie. I can just accept that it's tasteless.

I wouldn't have tried to make it tasteful at all. I think the movie makes the right choices. As I've said again and again, I think the movie is great and the scene is great. But it isn't tasteful.

Ok? Why did this need to be said?

So because it depicts a tasteless act the scene itself is tasteless? These are two different concepts you’re conflating.

You have yet to make an argument as to why the scene itself is tasteless

I'm not of the opinion that an aesthetic can somehow overcome the subject matter and purify it.
I think that was the idea that the novel Lolita was trying to convey. A very much hate that book
And looking at the scene specifically, the semen dripping from the hand doesn't scream "taste"

>Ok? Why did this need to be said?
It was already said, some of you took offense because it wasn't slavish worship of Anno's directorial genius

*I very much hate that book

I have, read the thread

Sounds like autism to me, Lolita is a beautiful masterpiece.

Because you were tricked by a pervert with great aesthetic sense

I’ve read every post, you haven’t made a coherent argument aside from describing the act itself. Judging by your hatred of Lolita you seem to have a deep seated puritanical view of sexuality as most Americans do.

I was so close to replying to this actual autist but he's succeeded in baiting everyone here. Yea Forums is probably the worst board on the site right now. Literal children flock here and to Yea Forums and just spout whatever shit comes to mind. Don't bother arguing with them

It’s because I’m not an autist who can’t remove the reality from the representation

This is a shonen in debate here

Tasteless: arousing no interest : DULL
>source merriam webster

considered to be lacking in aesthetic judgment or to offend against what is regarded as appropriate behavior.
"a tasteless joke"
>google

The act in the scene is tasteless, but I don't think the scene itself is.
The fact that it arouses this much discussion is evident of that.
"Disturbing", "unsettling", "uncomfortable", "strange", are probably the best way to describe the scene, but the act is tasteless.

I'm not American and one of my favourite novels ever is Crash by J.G. Ballard. Deviant sex itself isn't the issue, I can just admit that it's tasteless. My argument is that the aesthetic isn't something that can sanitise the subject matter (something that the EoE scene doesn't try to do, with the semen dripping from the hand and the character literally saying "I'm so fucked up").

I think it's more autistic to somehow distinguish the two so as to think written deviant pornography is far removed from its real-life referent.

Your entire argument hinges upon the word tasteless which is entirely subjective. You’re asserting that everyone thinks this way yet you’re the ONLY PERSON in this thread who views it as such. You. Have. Autism.

Because she's Lilith, she's the mother of mankind and her presence is everywhere at all times

Lolita and Eva aren’t deviant pornography

It's like defending the gangbang scene in IT and saying it served a purpose beyond being disturbing

>eva and Lolita are deviant pornography

Grasping at straws

Except its pretty important in understanding the final scene in EoE and shinji/asukas complex relationship

Not really, the gangbang scene is virtually pointless and comes out of nowhere. Shinji’s scene has deep narrative and thematic reasons for existing and sets up the entire film.

I never said that Eva was deviant pornography, though it does feature the very questionable sexualisation of cartoon children.
Lolita 100% is, and if you think it isn't then you're in denial. Think of that chapter where she's on Humbert's lap

the original thread earlier today had zero shitposting and only civil discussion about the show. I was shocked. Why does this new one contain so much hatred?

Attached: IMG_3738.jpg (570x785, 69K)

The gangbang scene in it says nothing about the readers or does anything that could haven't have been replaced with sex

Evas fans were literally jerking it to auska, so Anno used shinji to say "this is you, you're pathetic"

Never read IT but I'll defend the EoE scene because it actually is very important to the movie. I can just admit it's tasteless while everyone else does mental gymnastics

It’s an accurate representation of the mentality of a sick and twisted self justifying pedophile murderer. It’s not justified in the book, Humphrey is literally imprisoned in the opening of the book. That doesn’t make it deviant pornography, it’s a character study.

Shinji beating off to her came the fuck out of nowhere, stop fooling yourself.

>a lot of people on an anime imageboard think differently from you so that means you're wrong

Shinji attempts to kiss Asuka in her sleep in NGE, this is the logical extension of that.

fucking based user

>shows no data to enforce point
>actual data present in this thread
>hurr disregard it

Fuck off retard

Why didn't he kiss her while comatose instead?

Attached: A094F4EC-C341-46D8-BC7C-0636B7CC300A.gif (500x289, 336K)

Yes that's the ironic conceit of the book, which is what I think makes it so bad and insidious. It indulges in a perverted fantasy about children yet also tried to be removed from it. It keeps saying to the reader: "look, it's only a novel. And the character is clearly bad and amoral". There is no authorial confession there, he gets away blame-free when he really shouldn't. It's actually the opposite of Anno with Evangelion, where he admits almost everything is confessional.

And what data is this? "Lots of 4channers call you autistic so that means that a scene where A CHILD MASTURBATES OVER A CHILD IN A COMA is actually tasteful"?

Sex is the logical extension of kissing incel

Because he wanted to cum from seeing her naked body.

I don’t interpret it that way, but I’m tired of arguing with you so interpret it however you like.

You got an archive link to that last thread OP?

Because that would be a romantic gesture.
Shinji was an angsty, horny, broken teenager.

Attached: 1292268102724.png (585x766, 46K)

Weird question, but is that Rei's natural hair color?

Sexual feelings can be expressed with a kiss, Anno just want the mood whiplash.

Ah yes

Yes, we see the first Rei as a young child, 5 years old maybe, and she still has the same red eyes and blue hair as the other two and all the spares in the tank.

Attached: 1301267031635.jpg (702x649, 72K)

Naota's quite different from Shinji. Way more aloof and confident in himself

God, why did the FLCL sequels have to happen

DeMarco is a dumbass

Come back with actual data to refute it and you might have a point

His (and everyone else's) heart was in the right place but they should have known that you can't just contract a random Japanese studio with the average anime production staff and schedule to make a new FLCL
I'm sure Enokido would have been up for writing the new ones as well, even if Tsurumaki wasn't

Reject.

>Evan, the Gay Lion.

It all makes sense now.

Attached: 1562008860392.jpg (340x322, 16K)

Accept. Don't @ me.

GO BACK TO Yea Forums

GO BACK TO Yea Forums

GO BACK TO Yea Forums

GO BACK TO Yea Forums

GO BACK TO Yea Forums

This

I do like the series, but it tries to turn teenage angst into some kind of profound universal truth, which it isn't.

The hedgehog’s dilemma is profound, universal truth is a meme tho. Eva doesn’t proclaim universal truth in any sense.

It isn't profound at all.

Everyone has issues becoming close to someone, but the anxieties associated with that are hugely exaggerated in your teenage years due to hormones. It's kind of absurd to base a whole story around the idea.

I dont entirely agree with you but I love your take

This is it, this is what shinji realises in ep 25/26 and what he is congratulated for finally understanding

Getting close to people while ensuring you yourself are not hurt is a constant throughout an adult life. It may be exaggerated in teenage years but the problem doesn’t disappear. Why is that so ridiculous to base a story around? Depression and anxiety are rampant in today’s world. More and more people are isolated due to the internet, seems perfectly appropriate to me to tell a story around that premise.

what are you even complaining about?

What a retarded post lmao

I'm diagnosed cluster c, avoidant-depressive. I've had plenty of opportunities for real relationships, I've sabotaged all of them before they could begin, shinji doesn't feel like an exaggeration to me

Autism

Shut your dumbass up nigga

Imagine being this person

Samefag.

If you think Shinji's moods and reactions to this are normal, for are literally autistic and almost definitely a virgin.

This is actual autism.

Big brain takes, everyone give the big brain chad a round of applause for his bravery in the face of incels

Why must people deepthroat the series so much?