Aside From Execution, What's So Special About This Film?

My biggest issues with Midsommar is not the lack of it being a horror film, or even the bloated run time, as most of it's critics spout, but because when you get down to it, it's really just a Wicker Man knockoff.

Attached: download (5).jpg (184x273, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kQiKEeDJ7r4
youtu.be/4Hdp48A5bCc
youtu.be/vkb_rZT34_E
youtu.be/yaYxqDEP7L8
youtube.com/watch?v=aIssSRm8xUE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_1518
youtube.com/watch?v=G4twxbFk35U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The blood eagle

Wasn't even shocking desu
Just seemed like a pointless addition to a comedic scene

was this movie good i liked hereditary and all the reviews just say oh its so good and suck its cock or oh its so bad and say it sucks cock

which is it

It's nothing like hereditary. It's not a bad movie but I don't think it's the kind of movie you'd wanna see in theatres for various reasons. Maybe wait to watch it at home with friends.

hows the gore?

Outside some off screen dismemberment, the aforementioned blood eagle and a cliff suicide scene are the only instances of gore. The former is shown right after an extended mating/rape scene which depending on how you want to paint it is unintentionally funny or really unnerving and the latter is the first real scene in the movie when the characters realize they're probably going to get killed if they stay with the pagans any longer. Too bad the suicides are punctuated with comedic "thuds"

Jesus Christ now suicide is funny in todays society

It's like Ari Aster wanted to make a horror then midway through writing decided to make an American Pie movie

I just think it was a poor choice of audio considering the old man's legs breaking and the "executioner's" mallet finishing the job both had soft little thuds accompanying them. Especially the mallet, but I guess Dani and her friends freaking out was more than enough to get the point across that they shouldn't have taken the swedes and their free spirit personalities at face value.

Wasn’t horrible but it really wasn’t a horror movie towards the end. Some unsettling and uncomfortable moments, but they’re very brief.

That’s what it would sound like in real life though

This movie is such a goddamn letdown after the legitimately creepy stuff with her sister and parents.

How does the female lead's sister's murder suicide fit in with the context of the movie? I thought it would be connected with the cult later, but nothing comes of it?

it's a movie about dealing with death -- her sister's murder/suicide shows us how death, particularly sudden and tragic violent death, is dealt with in modern western society (i.e. it isn't, causing a complete destabilization and breakdown on an individual level). the rest of the movie shows us an alternative vision, an insular and close-knit community where death serves to be constructive and is seen as a natural part of the sustaining cycle of nature. yes, that second vision includes at-times brutal murder, but we're shown the fruits of those sacrifices.

When they zoomed out to show the elder guy fall feet first, I audibly laughed out loud. The funny shit I've seen in a while. Just how quick he fell.

Attached: 8627b55b-4d49-43be-b6c1-5634a57d5fc9.jpg (576x720, 28K)

>Aside From Execution
Why exclude literally the most important part of filmmaking?

It's not what the movie's about, it's how it's about it. I thought they did a good job.

pretty sure it was made to trigger christians and whites.there were too many parallels between the cult and these two identities to be a coincidence

Very gory. The first character to commit suicide jumps off, and their head hits a rock and spits open. Then there's a closeup of their head split open. It's comparable to Glenn's death in The Walking Dead, only it's in broad daylight and it lingers on the shot. The second character to commit suicide lands feet first on the rock, and there's a closeup of their leg mutilated. Also extremely graphic. Then other characters come up and whack their head with a mallet and the head graphically caves in, and it shows the whole thing.

That's pretty much the only really gory scene. There's a scene with a dead guy executed via Blood Eagle and you see the lungs, there's a scene where a character wears the skin of another character, and there's some scenes with more skins of deceased characters filled with flowers and sticks and stuff, but they aren't as bad. There's also a scene where a bear is disemboweled.

Double-digit IQ response to the film.

it was alright, i like florence pugh a lot, but man this movie does not do anywhere near enough to justify the run time. hereditary felt so well paced but midsommar just drags and drags at times. plus the fact that the central relationship is extremely un-fleshed out, could have been a lot better. still enjoyed it

It's more like a cannibal holocaust knockoff fundamentally. Wicker Man's narrative is very different

The advertising for this movie was misleading, it's much more comedy than it is horror. That being said, I couldn't breathe laughing when that old couple threw themselves off the cliff, and when they pulled out the fucking mallet to smash that guy's head.

Planning to bring some people to watch it, looks like its some kind of The Village but with gore instead of the dressed guys? Does it feel dragged?

christians? yes, because the movie is a renunciation of christian-oriented views of death. whites? absolutely not, if anything this movie is a white nationalist wet dream because it's about the benefits of an insular, tribalistic, monocultural society.

The first person to commit suicide was the family member technically

I saw it today.
I think Hereditary is the better movie, but this isn't that bad.

It all kinda feels like a chosen one type of deal. Like, what would have happened had they not freaked out or if she didn't become queen?

That scene where she saw her boyfriend fucking the woman broke my heart. That was the real horror of the film.

Anyone feel bad for the boyfriend? He was a dick but he didnt deserve to die so terribly

Its not even a good one, it on the level of the cage wicker man, not the 1973 classic.

Me here I felt bad for both of them the whole movie. He wanted it off because he wasn't happy in the relationship, and she was acting very emotional and then some real life shit happened and it broke my heart for her. She's realizing that he's not including her, but he's not coming out and telling her what she wanted to hear.

And then he started acting like a dick throughout the film to her expense and it kinda hurt to see her go through that. She didn't really deserve that. The only time I legit felt bad for the boyfriend was after she became queen and he was asking the old man at the dinner table what was going on. When the old man clapped in his face, he had a look of sheer terror and pain on his face I legit thought he was about to bawl and it kinda hurt.
It didn't help that the swede kissed his girlfriend right in front of him without him noticing due to all the people.

But it still broke me when she saw him fucking another girl and she vomited.

I didn't expect her to toss him to the side like that, though. He was also a victim.

Does the black guy die quickly or what? One random black dude in an all white society seems like he's going to get killed or fetishized.

he was doing the fetishizing actually, and insisting the group be tolerant of the cults barbaric practices. I like to think this was an ironic middle finger to the alt-right talking point, that dismissing barbaric practices as cultural differences permits the practices to be used against you

>reading that much into the 'politics' of the film

Seriously, when does he 'insist' the group be tolerant of the cults practices?

yeah i did a bit. Burning to death sucks. He kinda had to go though, guy was so fucking weak-willed.

I liked the movie overall, but I honestly would have loved to see Ari rev up the horror in this one. Unfortunately, there's really nothing that was comparable to the scene in Hereditary where Charlie gets her head knocked off and the ensuing grief, which is a shame because when Dani's sister and parents died at the beginning I was expecting the movie to shovel on the gloom and misery even more throughout the film.
Hereditary definitely made me feel way more horrified and stuck with me longer than Midsommar will.

>It's not what the movie's about, it's how it's about it. I thought they did a good job.
iknow right. well made employee training videos really get my dick rock hard too because of the technique.
who cares about content

I heard about it this afternoon and saw it at 8 knowing nothing about it, just got back, and I thought it was terrific. Great cinematography, and the main characters had great arcs (especially the main girl and her bf) and were very fleshed out and realistic in the way they behaved and how they talked to eachother. You could often read their thought processes and understand all the contexts of it just by looking at their faces in reaction to what others were doing / saying.
It didn't have much regular horror jump scares or gore, but it was more like a well written scary drama filmed in the creepiest way possible (minus some of the ceremony shit, which was just weird). I loved the parts where they were tripping; all the visuals and hallucination-horror used there was quite accurate to a real bad trip. Also I don't think I've ever seen an actor look more legitimately scared than Christian when he was at that feast at the end

curious, have you seen the 1973 wicker man?

the first 20 minutes with the C02icide are peak Ari aster, peak cinema as an artform. Like you said, the pure gloom he's capable of is something very few directors can do

So why was the dude wearing Poulter’s face? Was that purely for shock or was that some kind of custom. Either way it was very effective at being unsettling

Some decent social satire (the couple’s relationship mostly). Otherwise just another shit movie for brainlet “horror fans”

user, most of those scenes are actually supposed to be comedic. Like the orgy one, the blood eagle one, and the pube one just to name a few. It has a lot of dark humor, it's just not. It's just not obvious because the characters act as they should in response and the atmosphere is serious.

It doesn't suck, honest, its humor!

The OST was godly. I almost teared up just from the music when it first introduces the house everyone sleeps in.

How was the blood eagle supposed to be comedic?

Midsummer is not a christian holiday in the slightest

youtube.com/watch?v=kQiKEeDJ7r4
This. Gorgeous.

Yeah when I was ~15 (so like 15 years ago). I should rewatch it because I just thought it was ok back then, not that frightening

I remember skipping through Hereditary on my computer looking for some scene and I noticed how every single little 3 second part I'd watch as I skipped around was filmed so damn creepily and with such unnerving music, though the whole film. And I noticed the same thing about The Witch. No matter what mundane thing may have been be happening on screen, it was always presented in such an atmospheric scary way

I see rated R movies to try and avoid people like you, because most people like you are 13

he does it once or twice but iirc its christian that does that more

when you killed yourself

My problem was the fact that the insanity just sort of went steady. I feel like a good horror movie has to have a sort of "spiral" where when you think it's gotten bad it just gets worse. Hereditary had this in droves. It starts off with death in the family horror, slight supernatural elements, and then goes heavier on the supernatural and culminates in cult shit. This one was just family horror ---> cult insanity and then just flat lined to a pagan cult and never really went anywhere. I'm not saying you had to go ancient aliens or some wacky, gaudy shit, but still, SOMETHING would have been nice.

Attached: 1555869949119.jpg (600x593, 54K)

Some of it was partially comic relief, like the pube. But whys it gotta be one or the other (sucks or funny)? Their rituals / customs were supposed to be really fucking weird, and they were. I guess it's a common response to laugh at something that is so weird you don't know how else to react to it (like the orgy), but that doesn't mean it's actually funny

Seemed like a TCM reference. The guy even used a mallet like the first leatherface kill in TCM.

user, you don't have to be upset. Director himself said it's supposed to make you laugh and the movie is comedic in general. It's okay if you didn't like the film or even found it to be absolute shit, but there's no denying that's the truth.

The Irish dude's facial expressions are really funny during the orgy. I was rolling.

Oh yeah, definitely got strong tcm vibes from that scene

did you forget when christian turned his head upside down and leaned in close against the corpses face because he was high as fuck? it was obviously intentionally funny

The things Will Poulter says during the mushroom trip I've heard verbatim in the same situation. And then when he's rambling and says the word family to the gf and you know whats coming. So well done

What exactly happened to Mark? What was his face so puffy when he came back to the building with the book and caught Josh photographing the pages? And it looked like he was naked besides his shirt.

Also, could the people of the commune all feel eachother's emotions? It's like when one of them cried or felt extreme pain, all of them did.

Was there actual magic in this movie or was it all just druggings, nightmares and drug-induced hallucinations? Like did Dani really understand and speak Swedish or was that just tripping? Were the ancestors coming into her mind?

When I was watching, I did not actually perceive Poulter killing Harper (The black guy) as someone else wearing his flayed skin. I had assumed he had been coerced to do it, or he was possessed.

I wish there were more scenes with similarly shocking/disturbing visuals. Hereditary was chock full of them, allowing for more memorable scenes/imagery that stick with you long after seeing it.

Yeah it followed every single cult movie trope and didn’t reveal anything unique. The film has been made much better a handful of times and wasn’t very suspenseful. It wasn’t bad, but it doesn’t stand out in any way.

Honestly the pagans Didnt do anything that evil or disturbing aside from the pube rape. Most of it was just weird like the retard bible or suicide jumpers.

I thought that was a sneering old naked woman. There were only females in the orgy, except for Christian of course

See

He insists early on when he thinks it's just limited to ritualized suicide, which doesn't seem that insane to agree is just part of a different culture.

You mean besides killing all of the foreigners?

is that evil?

Who was the unknown number that called Dani right before she learned of the suicide/homicide??

Yeah I mean Christian. The actor who plays him is Irish.

Kill List was a better cult movie
The Endless was a better cult movie
VHS 2 was better
Wicker Man was better
Invitation too

Probably the police or something who discovered the dead body
How old are you?

True, they were burgerclaps after all

Nothing the cult did I felt was amoral until the male, muslim looking Londoner dubiously disappeared. Even the elderly couple killing themselves, I didn't give a shit about. They consented to that.

It's that shock value reward for watching such slow burn boring shit.

same here. what I found more disturbing was the haemorrhaging/having fatal brain trauma moans after he gets hit in the head

This

When did that london dude’s girl die

They manipulated foreigners into staying with them and lied to them about the festivities being harmless so they could ultimately sacrifice them. It's textbook villain shit. Cut the edginess.

Oh fuck was that the black dude breathing like that? I thought it was the big deformed kid with the hammer

Kill List was a fucking terrible movie.
>Kill List fans are the people criticizng Kinosommar
wew lad

Definitely not the Wicker Man remake.

Was she the one in the wheel barrel

But as a grad anthropology student....you stay there come on

I think so. I wonder what happened to her

t. A24 shill

...are you saying the nigger is the real villain of the entire film? Sure he was incredibly unlikeable but he never did anything malicious.

After they killed her partner. You can hear her faintly screaming in the background of one of the scenes.

youtu.be/4Hdp48A5bCc
youtu.be/vkb_rZT34_E

I was laughing imagining these sounds during the scene

How old are you?? Since when do emergency services use unknown numbers to call people?

Yeah, she actually had a death scene in the script. It had something to do with a ritual in the water if I remember correctly, where she is forced under water and drowns. Itgs her head in the opening wheel barrel scene, and you can tell shes deformed pruny.

Picnic at Hanging Rock > The Wicker Man > Midsommar > The Wicker Man Remake

>new movie is strongly similar to an old, well loved classic movie
>this is somehow a bad thing

I’m not gonna complain about getting more movies like Wicker Man, myself.

>Picnic at Hanging Rock
I love that movie but it not remotely horror.

>picnic at hanging rock
Huh? What’s the relevance? Not a cult movie

At first when he ran out of the house after fucking that young girl (shit looked borderline illegal) and you see his boner I was like “why is it so orange?” and then I realized it was because he deflowered her and it was covered in blood.

Overall it was well executed but felt sort of pointless.

It reminded me a bit of Picnic at Hanging Rock. It's not 'horror' per se but certainly a mystery and some insinuation of the supernatural.

I was kinda hoping that one guy would’ve been able to finish his thesis. It would’ve been a good one

Fair enough, does share its fairytale-esque, dreamlike qualities as well

Horror fans have such shit taste. You people like poorly made movies just for the premise (mostly for the premise) and gore effects. Like OP said, execution doesn't matter to you. I don't like most horror because it's usually shit, but the horrors I do like can hold their own against really good drama movies (which as a genre is generally filled with far higher quality filmmaking)

Do Swedes really?

I would have volunteered to fuck the redhead

I found myself thinking a couple of times that I probably wouldn’t appreciate the drug trip scenes nearly as much if I had first watched it on a much smaller screen. That’s the biggest advantage to seeing it in theaters. If you have a decent screen to watch it on at home it’s not so bad, but I’m glad I saw it in theaters because right now I don’t have a good tv.

I was disappointed because of the false label. I went in wanting to see a horror movie after choosing it out of a selection of other horror movies and it just turns out to be something like a shitty art project. I thought it was gonna be good when the movie started and I saw the murder suicide but by the end I just thought the movie was fucking weird and funny in the worst way possible. It was like a shitty filthy frank episode with gore. Also fuck that scene of the naked fat chicks dancing in a circle.

youtu.be/yaYxqDEP7L8

Wicker man remake is kino

wish I was a deformed oracle t-b-h

Hereditary is the more fully explored story
Midsommar is the more fully explored concept

The only one of those that you could actually argue is better is Wicker Man, and although that one also deals with a pagan cult, the style and specificities of the plot are entirely different. "It's been done before" is the laziest, most brainlet criticism. There's nothing new under the sun.

Lmao just be italian and grieve violently and achieve catharsis. Fucking Jews

>shilling Kill List for free

If you dial 911 then hang up they call back and the caller ID displays unknown

>dat opening when the swedish hymn gets cut off
beautiful

Not warning the chick who was traumatized that her whole family died in a murder suicide just a few months prior that they were gonna be attending a ritualistic suicide was kind of a dick move. Especially the way he had that shit eating grin on his face when he refused to tell her or the boyfriend about it when they asked.

Maybe he thought that it was going to be a symbolic reenactment and that nobody was gonna really die, but he clearly knew what the gist of it was gonna be and that’s still kinda dickish considering his travel companion’s background.

Fair enough but do you really think the Swede friend is less of a villain than the nigger?

hope the sound design team + the OST get some award recognition next year. I'd be surprised if there were a richer sounding film released this year.

Depending on the place it is a celebration for the birthday of St. John the Baptist

He’s way more I feel

Anyone else think this is a satire about how academic (read: upperclass liberals) types will put up with all kinds of weird shit in the name of anthropology and tolerance?

im with framing the black guy as the villian seems way off base. He was self-centered and maybe blinded by his academic ambitions, but hes not to blame for this.

It's a break-up film user so there's no political message, but I did notice those undertones as well.

i think you're projecting your own shit onto the film.

Oh, no. All of the cultists are straight up murderers. The black dude was just kind of a dick. Come to think of it, I don’t think there was a single character in the whole film who wasn’t at least kind of a dick, though. Maybe the london couple, oddly enough.

dani did nothing wrong

I take it you didn’t see Hereditary?

Na it's definitely there. You have to write a situation where the characters keep hanging out even after ritual suicide and vanishing friends. I think the more of a lefty post grad you are, the more likely you are to stay to be "open minded' and "tolerant." I think other types of Americans would gtfo fast.

So that mark guy goes with that girl, he gets killed by the tree guy, and then gets his face ripped off?

Did anyone else notice the face in the trees after dani was crowned queen? I wonder if there was more shit like that elsewhere in the film that i missed

I think the paper could’ve been even better if the two guys had mutually agreed to a collaboration.

Did anyone else's audience laugh through the entire fucking movie?

Makes me never want to go to the movie again

Was gonna say this. She was a little annoying at times, but she knew it when she was and it's mostly because she was dealing with a lot of awful shit. She just wanted to be loved. Poor girl let people walk all over her just to try and feel loved, or at least to have a chance at it

you would've trusted Christian to accomplish anything (academically) worthwhile?

not the entire movie, but I did find the movie quite funny.

that was sneaky bullshit he pulled on Josh, the black guy

Just gonna leave this here

Attached: 1562307489852.jpg (243x234, 18K)

Horror movies are dead. Shit like this is all were going to get anymore.

user, no one's going to respond to your thread about jumpscares

she was a precious cutie and the bf was a fool who didn't recognize a good thing

Yeah there's the bonehead comic relief cracking jokes every 10 minutes but every actual horror scene was met with waves of giggles throughout the entire auditorium

The Endless was trash.

I liked the black dude (Josh). He was a very believable character; I have known brainy black guys like him before and they are just like that. I mean he was a bit of a cheeky asshole, but those guys usually are, and everyone else in the group was dumber and more of an asshole (except for Dani and the sinister Swedish friend)

>So why was the dude wearing Poulter’s face?
it was so he could get black guy to drop his guard before killing him

>Invitation

true cult Kino. I liked this one more than Kill List/VHS though.

shit taste, go rewatch IT

user, I...

the attention to detail symbolizing what was to come in the plot and foreshadows were the best part of the movie

youtube.com/watch?v=aIssSRm8xUE

The movie was absolutely abysmal. The only people I know who liked it are women and trannies.
I will give the prop artisans their respect, though. Excellent work on the final form of the sacrificed bodies.

There were a few more in the cliffs and the shadows of the trees

Mine did, but I don't blame them. When a flick has zero stakes, zero tension, and zero investment, you either get bored and leave or laugh at the director's pathetic attempt to create something interesting.

This is art zoomer horror, not soi slow burn. Even numales know this movie had no substance.
>dude remember how we laughed at hereditary?
>yeah
>i saw on youtube that my favorite eceleb said the movie was actually good and smart. Let's go see Midsommar because that'll be good and smart.

there was a lot of dark humor moments for sure

Horror fans are retards and they laugh at everything like they are still 13 years old. Laughing at the majority of a horror movie is basically a defense mechanism to try and show off to everyone how not-scared you are. Laughter also serves as relief for the tension

I mean "go rewatch IT for the 10th time because it's probably your favorite movie, pleb"

It drifts faaaaar too much into comedy for my liking. The sex scene and tombola(!) scene just made everyone guffaw

>Also, could the people of the commune all feel eachother's emotions? It's like when one of them cried or felt extreme pain, all of them did.

I heard before that in some parts of asia or someplace, there’s an old custom of hiring people to grieve for you upon the death of a loved one. And the hired party will publicly display the grief in wild fits of emption with wailing and sobbing. I’m unclear of all the exact reasons for the practice, but I think part of it is so that the surviving party doesn’t have to feel so alone in being sad.

I figured the wailing fits in this movie were kinda like that. Like the community was all getting together in these displays as a communal practice of empathy and to emphasize belonging among the tribe. I don’t think they were literally feeling the pain of the burning sacrifices- I think it was more just part of the custom.

I don’t think there was any literal magic. I think a lot of the trippy shit was just the typical symbolism you see in fiction, and in-universe drug trips.

>I wonder if there was more shit like that elsewhere in the film that i missed
there was a shit ton of little stuff

for instance, every character had different runes on their clothes
dani wore a custom garb with the runic symbol that stood for "journey" which she went on throughout the film
her bf wore a garb before the sex scene that has runic symbol that meant "willingness for self sacrifice" which he did at the end
and before the two elders jumped off the cliff they cut their hands and ran their bloodied hands over those two symbols on the mountain

there was also a flower crown beside her parents bed after they died

Attached: 1549654997081.jpg (2116x1112, 337K)

Oh ok.

When the granny grabbed Christian’s butt and started thrusting him into the girl so he could bust faster my whole theatre busted up in laughter

I made the mistake of sitting in the front fucking row and I'm sure I missed out on tonnes of shit
The dudes penis towering over me was pure cosmic horror

That part was kinda hot.

when festival started that one couple asked their guy what game the people were playing and he said it was "skin the fool". Mark was the fool throughout the film. he even pissed on the tree and didn't care. Right after that happened, the girl led him away, they killed him and then skinned him
and at the very end when they were wheeling the corpses into the pyramid, they placed a jester's hat on him

What does the rune that looks like an F that that one lady was wearing mean?

>defense mechanism

Nigga this movie was a fucking joke. It was a fucking soulless hackneyed occult flick. If I was in your theater I'd be laughing even harder at you.

That little nightmare Dani had where her friends snuck out and drove away at night leaving her in the commune alone was creepy as shit. Mark's smiling face looking at her out the back of the car, and the smoke coming out of her face, the music ramping up, and Dani's dead family. What was shown was not that scary on its own, but the music and atmosphere and way that it happened all came together to feel like a real nightmare

Yes.

annoying brainlet faggot.

>hackneyed
see

do people really not understand this isn't a movie about a cult, but ultimately a movie about the end of a relationship between the two main characters?

Just post the orgy webm fags

So, before the women dance together, the head woman mentions the tradition came from ancestors suddenly dancing until they could no more then dying. I thought of this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_1518

It says that mainly females were affected and that modern science thinks it was mushrooms/drugs that did it.

this is a movie about a girl appropriating another culture to get back at hear cheating boyfriend

I dont think a non-camrip has leaked yet

>VHS 2 is better
Either this movie is irredeemable trash, or you have the worst taste I have ever seen.

that moment when you realize christian not only ate that girls pubic hair but also drank her period blood too

She did a couple things wrong. Most of it doesn’t make her a bad person, but she was wrong. She should have dumped Christian even before her sister offed herself. She really should’ve left him after finding out about his planned eurotrip. She should’ve skipped coming along on the trip. She pussied out of shit multiple times when things might’ve turned out a lot better if she’d nutted up. And she was plain stupid for not tapping out of the may queen dance a hell of a lot sooner so that she wouldn’t have to actually win.

Oh, and she should’ve swallowed the damn fish.

it's not an orgy. a doughy white guy fucks a girl an dmost of the shots are of his ass or face while several frumpy old naked women stand in a semi circle

It's actually painfully obvious and was even stated by the director like two weeks before the film even released. I think since Hereditary was pretty entry-level people expected something more akin to that instead of arthouse fuckfest 3000 (especially since it's mainstream. Arthouse films that are released worldwide are almost always divisive anyway). I enjoyed it though.

He really was a douche though. She wanted a family again and to feel loved since her own family died and her boyfriend didn't really care about her. They convinced her to become one of them in the end after drugging her and making her feel special, but she wanted to leave for most of the movie before that. You could tell the moment she realized she fucking despised her boyfriend when he just brushed her off to talk to the Elder as she was trying to talk to him about the missing London girl, since all he cared about was his doing his slacker thesis and not about anyone's safety. Then she saw him fucking someone else and that was the last straw. She still cried over what she'd done though

I’ve seen the plot “go crazy and dance til you die” in several ballets before, but I always just figured it was an excuse to have people dancing in a storytelling medium that requires it, while also adding drama. I didn’t think it was a real thing. Neat.

I'm not sure. but there was one inside the pyramid that meant "gift" like a gift to the gods

She clearly had attachment issues with Christian, user, and she was high as fuck during the May dance, and the entire event made her feel like she was part of a family again, did you even watch the film?

until you posted this, nobody on Yea Forums had thought of that

It's hackneyed bullshit, and you're a complete retard if you think this "movie" was good. Absolutely zero substance in this work, and it served as an incredible exposé on Ari Aster, a director who showed so much promise.

Everyone knows that. People only talk about the cult elements because the relationship element was fumbled over and over and over and over until the movie decided to just say "fuck it, let's pretend we did any significant development and end it now"

the latter

You gonna keep using hackneyed like you know what it means?

the chads have spoken

youtube.com/watch?v=G4twxbFk35U

>broke me
Man that expression is gay

>she was wrong
No, she was flawed. She should have stuck up for herself a lot more, but she is very weak willed and low self esteem, blaming herself for people mistreating her

Having excuses like that doesn’t make her less wrong. Her motivation behind her actions is clear, but her choices are still bad.

Are you going to keep providing sub-50 IQ responses because you don't have the brain to formulate a coherent counterpoint? Of course you are; you're a Midsommar fan.

Yes and the parallels to this are pretty close. The female orientated participation, the hallucinogenics coming from mushrooms/taking mushrooms and mushroom tea. Even the idea of bad blood could be compared to the evil spirits they believed in them but that one might be reaching.

>Her motivation behind her actions is clear
What, are you saying she intended to join them the whole time? Fucking no, she wanted to get the hell out of there and was only convinced to join at the last moment while she was drugged and made to be their queen (and she was only able to be convinced at all there because she was already such a fragile, weak-willed girl)

So is this social commentary on how evil white people are?

Attached: 1520018525563.jpg (668x445, 34K)

If you come out of this with that opinion, regardless of race you are a brainlet, plain and simple

>What, are you saying she intended to join them the whole time?

No. That is not even close to what I said. You don’t need to put words in my mouth.

All of her actions, from trying to leave to pussying out of actually leaving, to pretty much joining up with the cult, all have apparent motivations behind them, as you seem to have observed as well.

Oh great, might give it a try then.

Motivations? I mean up until the very end shes just getting pushed around, first by the boyfriend, then by the Swedes, then at the end she finally makes her only decision, which is to kill the boyfriend because she is mad he cheated on her

And why do you think it is that she refuses to decide anything right up until the end?

remember when every main character heard someone scream in the distance and didn't do anything? that was when it happened

>see this on a date
>the main couple’s relationship mirrors mine in several ways
>awkward drive home

Other than that I liked it.

Because she is weak willed and the cult won the battle for her mind by making her feel accepted and loved?

To answer the specific question in your subject line: execution is everything.

I a world where original ideas are a thing of the past, execution is the only thing left to make a difference.

Because she has no self esteem and prioritizes everyone else's feelings before her own, so she lets them make all the decisions and just says "o-okay". That's just how she is

See? She’s wrong in what she does, but we can also see why she does what she does. And these motivations don’t excuse her from being wrong.

That's not wrong, that's cute. I would love to have a gf like Dani who cares so much more about others than she does herself. She was simply manipulated and I am happy at least that she did not die

I was never talking about her being right or wrong. As far as her deciding to burn the boyfriend over the other guy, I mean, its not really right or wrong either way in that circumstance, and they did introduce the other guy she got to choose from as “The Honorable Tjollbourn” or whatever his name was. Before that id say she doesnt really make any “wrong” decisions, other than staying with a guy who obviously didnt really want to be with her, but thats a two way street in my opinion.

So, the swedes make four sacrifices from within their commune in the big burning scene. Two of them are alive, including the guy that lured the london couple, and two of them are dead, and are scarecrows made from trees and what seems to be human skin.

I’m confused. Were those two tree-scarecrows characters we had seen before? Were they the old couple that jumped off this cliff? This is kinda bothering me.

not only that, but her burning him in the pyramid symbolized putting your ex's belongings in a box and burning it to move on

I honestly couldn't tell based on the brainlet posts made in every thread tbhqhwu

old suicide couple. maybe movies shouldn't be your chosen interest if you can't pay attention

user, she acts like an abuse victim. They don’t make good girlfriends.

Cult shit is starting to feel overplayed in horror

>Two of them are alive, including the guy that lured the london couple
Who was that other living guy (besides Christian)? The one who started screaming as he was burning? Didn't they give him something so he wouldn't feel the pain too? that obviously didn't work

Wow that is some inception level stuff going on in ari's brain
Shane the scene itself was shot for comedy and everyone in the theatre was rolling around the floor laughing at the big dumb faggot with the the big dumb look on his face as he sat in the bear costume

>ywn take a Swedish pagan qt an engage is ritual festivities to Odin

Attached: 4AC36FBA-7068-49EA-A2F0-52CCA405E2B9.png (1920x800, 751K)

If it’s the old suicide couple, what I don’t get is: where did they get the skin to drape over the scarecrows if they smashed their faces in the suicide and then put their bodies on a fire?

the two alive were the volunteers, the two dead were the cliff jumpers, the others were the london couple, christian and his friends

The old suicide couple were cremated over a fire pit, you dont remember that?

Well her parents were just killed in a murder-suicide by her sister so of course there is some baggage there, and she still tries so damn hard to not be annoying or a burden. Like when she calls her boyfriend the first time, how hard she tries to play it cool for him even though she is panicking like fuck over her sister. I expected her to be sobbing through the phone venting her emotions at him

I think she was mostly terrified he might leave her and she’d be alone with no support, so she did everything she could to appease him.

Literally just got home from watching it, I gotta say, a tiny bit disappointing. All the good horror is at the front end of the film to me. The second half is a bit predictable and more by the books and leaves me wanting more.

While it can be unnerving, the sex scene with Christian and the older ladies all being nude did nothing for me, and hopefully this isn't something Ari Aster keeps pulling out of his hat for each film: trying to use older nude people for shock.

Dani learning about her family's death is honestly the most haunting part of the film to me.

Attached: MIDSOMMAR.png (1280x718, 1.9M)

Are you 13? This movie is rated R you know. Did your parents take you?

I saw it and no. Literally the villains aren't even associated with the festival of Midsommar and are using it as a front for nefarious activity.

The premise is just too stupid. People lose faith in abrahamic religions where most important celebrations happen every year, but the faith can be practiced every day. How does anyone care about a ritual that happens every 90 years.

even before her tragedy, she was calling her girlfriend trying to ask if she was "leaning on him" too much for being worried over something as ominous as her sister's suicide note. Then when her girlfriend said she wasn't, she argued back that she thought she was being too needy and annoying to him

Yeah, placing the bodies over the fire pit like that definitely would have damaged the skin to the point that there’s no way they could’ve used it to build the scarecrows.

But, there’s also no way a person could be completely cremated like that over an open flame that small overnight. I’m just gonna go ahead and assume somebody came and collected the bigger part of the charred bodies at some point before the ash raking scene we saw, because assuming they were completely cremated is bullshit.

but their faces were split open too. The tree-corpses had intact faces

I mean, if you just kept adding to the fire, turning them with a prod, smash the bones down at the end, you know, actively try and break them down, I could totally believe it

just another day in the life of your average Swede

this nigga killed her sister and parents didn't he??

>you can barely see someone standing in the shadows near her parents bed when the camera pans when dani leaves a voicemail
>he was the only one happy she was coming when he heard the news
>kept mentioning to her that he understood her lose (most likely someone from the cult burned his parents to get him when he was young)
>he knew dani's birthday would happen on the same day of the beginning of the festival
>dani turned 25 and according to pelle one's summer life is between 17-32 and dani is at the mid point for midsommar
>it was hinted that his job was to recruit people, bring sacrifices and/or bring a bull to impregnate villagers and he most likely killed her family to get her emotionally weak so the village could manipulate her to be another member

Attached: 1550451626407.jpg (1578x1316, 261K)

this rocks, gonna watch again tomorrow to confirm

I couldn’t. Not in the course of a single night. Real cremation ovens in which the flames are much larger and hotter and are specifically designed for this purpose don’t even break down all the bones the way the package of fine ashes you get at the end would lead you to believe. The people running the crematorium have to rake out much of the bone matter and either crush it or toss it.

TFW don't have a harem of decrepit old women moaning as you sex your gf, and don't have an old crone pushing your butt cheecks so you don't pull out of your gf. Why even live bros.

Dude what?

The shadow is obviously her sister. Hes happy because he loves her and could see her as the May queen. He understands her loss because his parents probably got sacrificed. He knows her birthday? Okay?

Dude just fucking stop.

that would cheapen the scene for me if that were canonically what happened. I didn't notice anybody standing in the room

>most likely someone from the cult burned his parents to get him when he was young

I had figured his parents were part of the commune and had previously volunteered to be sacrificed. Though the possibility that he was imported into the commune from outside is pretty disturbing as well.

Why did he even follow the flower trail in there and do it? He looked scared out of his mind ever since he drank that drink. How could he even get hard to fuck her?
Was it some kind of hex? Actual pagan magic?

And didn’t the dude that jumped off the cliff have a beard? I don’t think either of the scarecrows had a beard.

they gave him hard-on juice. the priest guy with the stringy cloth over his face gave it to him before he went in

Pagan viagra?

All the dialog in this movie was so natural. They talk just like real people do, instead of movie characters

really? what the fuck

STOP CALLING IT AN ORGY THEN YOU RETARDS

Literally the only reason im in this thread is cause i hear it has cuckqueaning (male cucking a female) in it, and an orgy. And now its not even a real orgy? God damn it.

imagine being this horny and lonely

You tell me to imagine, but I don't have to imagine. It's my life.

Attached: 1535745463728.jpg (882x960, 76K)

I thought her parents and sister might have been killed because I found it weird that the sister put on a mask for the gas running an additional cord up to her room instead of just being in the garage or the parents room. plus they purposefully showed she didn't check the emails when dani said she always responds

This was a major problem for me as well. It never really went anywhere besides "they're a pagan cult with weird beliefs". There's even a red herring about a "black one" when they dance. It felt like the film has no surprises in it. What you saw is what you got.

If there's a bustle in your hedgehog don't be alarmed now, it's just a spring clean for the May queen.

Attached: IMG_1120.jpg (1280x720, 59K)

it was definitely was a male and not her sister

>reddit spacing
>low iq surface level read of the movie
kek

the post he was replyig to was the most surface level "greedo shot first" shit, who do you think you're fooling?

Attached: microexpressions-disgust.jpg (524x336, 29K)

it never actually showed her die, but when she leaves to get the ride into town or whatever, mark briefly mentions that he saw her running or something. and then they hear faint screams in the distance not too long after that.

there was literally zero insinuation of the supernatural in Midsommar.

retard level film analysis

Wow you are fucking retarded

>flick

Attached: 1554514708990.gif (1000x1000, 208K)

>I-IT'S NOT FUCKIN' FUNNY!! IT'S A SERIOUS FUCKIN' WORK OF HECKIN' ART!!

Attached: images.png (221x228, 8K)

a guy in front of me in the theater did a spit take all over the row of people in front of him.

>being this angry that people enjoy a movie that you don't

surprisingly no

>tfw I know my ex probably saw this movie and related it to our relationship

Attached: 1554252113781.jpg (540x720, 33K)

neither of the two who volunteered were the one who lured the london couple.
the two scarecrows were the old people.

It's social engineering and goal is to tell us that white people are bad.

its kinda obvious that his parents volunteered to burn in the building the same way the guys did at the end. did you not get that part?

>broke me

Put a loaded shotgun into your mouth and pull the trigger, faggot.

I mean, I figured she used a cord on herself so that she could tape the room shut and have them not notice, and she could send the message before killing herself too.
I think this theory that the cult killed her parents is just stupid. and grasping for straws pointlessly. The guy just wanted to fuck her and he got an opportunity to drag her into his families cult.
also, his parents died because they volunteered to be sacrificed in the burning of the building.

the real low iq surface level read of the movie is thinking that the cult killed her family.

Dani knows herself that she has attachment issues, to the irritance of her boyfriend. The loss of her family leaves her adrift that opens her to the mad closeness of the cult, its terrifying for her but ultimately she wants to be embraced

>said nobody.

This film was intentionally funny. I really don't see why you autists think that because the film had comedic parts in it that its less of a film for it.
if you watched this film and found it funny and think it wasn't meant to be then you are retarded.

I’m sorry but do you have very low testosterone?

did your boyfriend break up with you recently or something user?

nobody made this claim

In name only. All the traditions are pagan