Aaannndddd it was shit. Ari Aster is a one-hit wonder

Aaannndddd it was shit. Ari Aster is a one-hit wonder.

It's a soulless retread of occult classics (including Ari's own Hereditary). Yea Forums's own "HURR SLOW BURN ATMOSPHERIC SOIGOY FLICK" criticism falls flat, as watching this flick is like looking at a long, colorful fuse that is never lit - because it was never attached to anything in the first place. It isn't horror. It isn't a so-called dark comedy. It isn't even a drama. You're better off watching the trailer before bed and hope it permeates into your midsummer night's dream, because whatever you have in your head right now is infinitely better than this A24 husk.

Florence Pugh is cute though. Definitely the ideal levels of thicc.

Attached: midsommar-poster-405x600.jpg (405x600, 48K)

I liked it. You can tell it was kino because no one on Yea Forums is talking about it

>Ari Aster is a one-hit wonder.
True, only The Stange Thing About the Johnsons was good

It wasn’t that bad. Definitely felt a whole lot of nothing the entire film, but it was kind of cozy and didn’t feel like a drag. Definitely nowhere near as close to Hereditary though.

I really liked it. I thought it was a great story about grief, isolation, and needing to connect with others who will empathize with you and share in your grief rather than brush you off or try to distract you.

I also think it had a much stronger ending than Hereditary.

If you hate the MC, maybe
>move from one unhealthy codependent relationship to another unhealthy, codependent relationship
>no kind of growth whatsoever

based, it's the only original and creative thing he has done. Hereditary and Midsommar are both 6/10s, why are people praising either of them?

I think you’re right. I just wish that there were some more ooky spooky horror elements, but it isn’t that kind of film.

He just likes it because MUH COLORS MUH HEIGHTENED EMOTIONS.

Bullshit.
Johnsons - 8.5/10
Hereditary - 7.5/10
Midsommar - 4/10

No, I liked the main character. Her boyfriend was not emotionally there for her when tragedy strikes her, and neither were the other friends on the trip. She is isolated in her grief and decides to go to Sweden to distract herself. When she takes the shrooms, she runs off to cry. She's also running off to cry and wail alone because no one will care about her.

The village people cry and wail with her and empathize with her. She finds a new family. The rituals are a process to help her accept her loss and open up for a new family.

And fuck her boyfriend, that was satisfying to me.

Hereditary is too cliche to be anything above 6/10. don't forget about how he ruined his own ending because your typical horror fan has a room temperature iq

It was fuckin great

No insult, but are you a male or female? I don’t think I was able to completely empathize with her the way my girlfriend (who watched with me) was because I saw a lot of my girlfriend in the main character. I saw a lot of my brushing off tendencies in the boyfriend as well, so I think your analysis is spot on though

I mean I’m a man and took away the same shit. It’s not a hard movie to pick apart. Like Hereditary.

Still good though

Too few people talk about how unbelievably shitty that voice over at the end was.

Because that was pure kino, and one of the few soulful moments in Hereditary. Only brainlets disliked it.

I didn’t like it either. It was condescending and insulted the intelligence of the audience.

>the classic Aristotelian denouement insulted modern flick goers' "intelligence"

That's a yikes from me, brainlets

If you hadn’t figured out what was happening after the seance you don’t deserve to have it explained to you and have everyone else’s silence ruined.

>I FIGURED IT OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP

Let me guess, you're one of those cucks who avoids "spoilers" because it "ruins" the movie for you

What was the voiceover? At the end when they explain Charlie is in the brothers body and is also Paimon?

The movie is just a collection of moments and set pieces down together in a sloppy attempt at making something memorable. It practically blew its load after the elders sacrificed themselves then went down hill from there. The film truly jumped the shark when they put the boyfriend in a bear suit.

Attached: IMG_1115.png (1541x659, 771K)

Yes

>Aristotelian denouement
forgot about that word, thanks

I mean that didn’t bother me. It makes sense they’d have to explain it to Charlie. She fucking died and never even knew she was a prince of hell.

This movie retroactively made me appreciate Hereditary more. This whole film is all flash and no substance, much like the character's chasing of empty meaning with drugs and being tourists to other culture's customs.

I swear the director literally sets up this movie with misery similar to Hereditary. Just trite stuff.

Why is so obsessed with cutting people’s heads off?

it was about a character who had no will of their own from the beginning to end with no real growth. If you thought the cult cared about her and shared empathy, then you must be deluded as her character.

It’s about grief brainlet.
And the characters being dumb college kids who party and take shrooms then being confronted with the real shit being used for its intended purpose enhanced the film.

That’s what makes it a horror movie
She thought the finally found someone to share her pain with but they were just looking for a new convert. That’s why she laughed at the end.

maybe if the horror is finding out you're a fucking idiot who got manipulated, then yeah I guess you're right.

I liked it but it could have been 45 minutes shorter. They also really didn't need to keep emphasizing that the redhead was making a love potion for the boyfriend, I get it, she made a pie with her period blood and pubes, you don't have to keep pointing it out.

Just watched Hereditary. The movie made me sick of boredom!

Pretty nice detail his hair got redder the more white girl magic she used on him

>It makes sense they’d have to explain it to Charlie
lmao

How does it not? She was like 13, didn’t know she was Paimon, and also didn’t know she died. Then all the sudden she wakes up in her brothers body? I’d be confused too.

Did it really? I didn't notice

Yeah he had dark brown hair at the start. I think after she puts the rune under his bed it starts. It’s super subtle but it’s really noticeable at the end when he’s running around in the sun