Why aren't horror movies horrifying?

Why aren't horror movies horrifying?

Attached: vvitch.jpg (840x420, 45K)

Why would a movie scare you? A movie about being 40 with no friends and have no family but still living scare me

>why would a movie scare you
>this movie would scare me

The 40 Year Old Virgin is a horror documentary to most of Yea Forums

What's the problem you tard?

>mfw americans sell out their family for butter
fatasses

How isn't a scene of an old hag literally grinding a human baby into paste not atleast a bit horrifying?

THE VVITCH GOOD!

Attached: soylent.png (572x693, 10K)

Where do you think you are

Because you aren't 12 anymore. Some people are still scared by that stuff. Its still great media.

most people had no idea what they were watching

Because blacks love spooky movies that consist 100% of jump scares so they can scream like baboons in the theater.

jump scares are the most effective form of horror because it gets a reaction. nobody thinks "wow it would suck to be stabbed by a screwdriver from an escaped lunatic", they think "oh shit something jumped at me it could hurt me"

A jump scare is not horror you absolute monkey loving fagoot.

scare, horror, terrify, spook, they're all pretty interchangeable. they're still pure and effective, while your low simmering atmosphere puts people to sleep.

A bone chilling slow burn

Attached: 65.png (454x520, 13K)

>scare, horror, terrify, spook, they're all pretty interchangeable.
No they aren't, you are literally retarded and shouldn't be on this board and specially in this thread.

Yeah it's weird. Last time I was genuinely scared, like couldn't sleep scared, was when I was 13 and watched The Grudge.

a hilarious meme

Confusing editing and a shit pace.

"The girl is playing peekaboo and suddenly the baby is just gone, in a few seconds, with no sounds and no one in sight in this big open area? How did the witch do that? The sister killed the baby didn't she. Wait now there's an actual witch and she's masturbating with a broom? Ew."

The above is what most people thought during that scene because everything's illogical and we're not given any time to settle down and become comfortable with the characters. Everything happens so fast and in such a silly manner most people can't absorb it until it's over.

Most horror isn't scary because it's illogical things happening to people we don't know or can't identify with. A bunch of asshole teens are being chopped up by a guy who can take shotgun rounds to the chest? Yawn. Oh this family of unlikeable jerks is being haunted by ghosts which are throwing shit around right in front of them but they refuse to believe it? Hoo hum.

Horror movies are basically impossible to do and books will always dominate the genre because we can get to know the characters in 6 pages and when the author writes Suzie hears the faint sound of glass breaking somewhere downstairs we get into it without being distracted by cheesey music or lighting or bad acting.

>The above is what I thought during that scene because I'm retarded. I literally cannot understand anything unless it is explicitly shown to me, explained verbally, and then Yea Forums tells me what to think about it.
fixed that for you

>books
>scary
Maybe I'm reading the wrong books, but I've never read something that kept me up at night. I feel like when I'm reading, I'm in too much control. It's too easy to get out. The horror is encoded in written words - not only do I have to look at it, I have to read and process it for it to have an effect. With a movie, the director has visual and audio control over my experience - it happens whether I want it to or not.

That's why horror movies are best with the room dark and the sound turned way up. It's not just that the darkness is creepy, it's that it allows the movie to become the whole world, so you forget there's anything outside it. Books just can't do that.

I think body horror is usually pretty universally “horrifying”. Being that we all haven’t seen ghosts, but most of us have had a medical issue that we didn’t plan on or enjoy. So watching another character rip his own fingernails off like in District 9 always feels more unsettling

>it allows the movie to become the whole world, so you forget there's anything outside it. Books just can't do that.
maybe you just have adhd

Videy james raised the bar so high. After playing a proper horror game, no movie can ever even come close to scaring you because the level of immersion is so much higher in a game.

I knew some people on this board are retarded, but dear god you are literally retarded.

I wonder what would a subhuman specimen like this think if he saw a film from let's say Tarkovsky.

Guys my memory is shit but you might know.

Sometime in the past 4 years i saw a trailer for a new movie coming out, it wasn't really a 'horror' movie but it looked fairly unsettling

an absurd type movie set in a castle of a some sort of a semi-fantasy medieval europe

i can't google this fucking thing please help me

Attached: 1558286222664.jpg (1200x1658, 727K)

Thanks, great response!

The Bay unsettled me more than I expected.

>it allows the movie to become the whole world, so you forget there's anything outside it. Books just can't do that.

t. a man who's never read a book in his life

Attached: 1359741634119 (1).jpg (365x274, 38K)

crimson peak maybe

Attached: 1540829897707.jpg (753x565, 81K)

that's not it FUCK

it was ghotic but with a lot of light

>there are no good horror movies
>my pessimistic mindset prevents me from enjoying films, because I look for flaws in everything
>complaining is my comfort zone, and it makes me feel weird to express positive emotions, because I fear judgment from others.

how is it a horror documentary ? he ends up with an equally lonely headcase 40 year old running an ebay store, and things relatively happy desu.

Okay, name a horror book that was so immersive you literally recoiled in fear from its pages. Because that's something even the corniest jumpscare can accomplish in film.

I'm not arguing that books can't be engrossing. I'm also not arguing they can't have frightening ideas or concepts or whatever in them. I'm certainly not arguing that books aren't good or enjoyable. I'm just saying that at a purely physical, sensory level, they are empirically less immersive than films.