Midsommar continued

Midsommar continued
>the stuff from the beginning felt like a plot contrivance to explain why she'd have gone on this bizarre retreat
>its just a macguffin
People do realize it was all set up, right? And that it was all continuous within their ritual sacrifice?

Attached: 1562167288392.jpg (1382x2048, 3.75M)

I liked it but it had flaws and tonal issues. A lot of pretentious shots held out for a little too long, but some good tension building. Also some self gratuitous gore but the visuals were good enough alone and the music was absolutely fantastic. I think my biggest complaint is that I couldn't tell if it was intentionally funny in some parts. Overall even with the parts I didn't like I still wished movies like this came put more. It also made me think a really good cult movie is near impossible, thus any lovecraft movie probably couldn't work, which saddens me more than anything and I suppose this movie is to blame, which I count as a mark against it

Why am I surprised that no one on Yea Forums wants to talk about a movie when there was a casting anounce of a children's movie on twitter a few hours ago

Kino.

Maybe people haven't seen it? This releases in my country next month. I have read the script so i can tell you what i think about the script. It's basically The Wicker Man but more stupid.

Is this any good? I'm seeing a movie tonight and I can either see this or Toy Story 4; they're starting 10 minutes apart.

Midsommar, why would you watch a Disney film in cinema?

It's strength isn't in its writing I don't think but it takes advantage of its setting with its cinematography. Lots of landscapes worth looking at

Midsommar

I will watch it, but the script was disappointing and stupid. I hope that the visuals, set design and acting will be good at least.

It it wasn't late at night on a weekday I wouldn't.

Plus the theater has those retarded comfy recliners and it's the closest thing to IMAX where I am.

Alright then, if they have a seat I will.

I think her family's death fit with the warped fairy tale vibe the film was going for. It didnt have the impact of Charlie's death in hereditary, but I think it fit thematically, and supported some of the creepier moments in the film (the shack scene, seeing her Mother walk by after winning the Maypole Dance, that strange shot of her family on the couch, watching television.)

the film is 90% aesthetic. The visuals and the score are what drive it. I also found it surprisingly funny.

I'd say that since the marketing of toy Story 4 is about how great of friends Tim Allen and Tom hanks allegedly are that it's a decent indicator that it'll be shit. See midsommar just cause it would appreciate your money more

I will check it out next month then.

Don't get your hopes up too high on the acting

Shilled 24/7

Just got back from the movie. Loved Hereditary. This movie is beautiful. Its trash tho. Bad coachella. FML

Are there torrents of this already, or are you guys actually watching it in theaters?

You realize this thread is a bunch of lukewarm reviews

Why? Florence Pugh is pretty good in everything i have seen her in.
Theaters.

yeah i didnt love the film but I think its worth watching. I think it fails as a horror film and a thriller but succeeds as a bizarre darkly comic arthouse picture.

She's probably the best. I think the limited writing kinda inhibits the actors, didnt feel like there was a lot to work with besides the main character. It's not bad just not anything noteworthy imo

I honestly enjoyed this movie a lot. I got the last showing of the night and had the whole theater to myself.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting basically Hereditary 2: Sweden, but I knew to temper my expectations because all directors no matter how good have some films that outshine others.
It was unsettling in an entirely different way than Hereditary, it stands totally on its own with it's acting (which although i found at times unnatural and strange, i felt added to the surreal feeling of the setting and events), the cinematography, and the tension/suspense.
Honestly, most of the "horror" for me came from the contrast between the festering grievances and resentments each main american character had for each other and the otherworldy, "heavenly" community they were in where these interpersonal tensions reached a head once the community turned out to be a wolf in sheep's clothing type of situation.
In a way, I saw the cult as distant metaphor for having a dysfunctional friend group, where objectively immoral behavior and unaddressed emotional pain is just an accepted part of the life of the group, something necessary to continue existing.
I don't know, I'm a fucking retard and I just like this new "sớy" style of horror directing, detached and lingering. Not saying it's better or worse than any other, just my opinion.
Also, fuck Swedish people and fuck any holiday except 4th of July

It's was really boring and a lot of time is wasted on teen drama

>I saw the cult as distant metaphor for having a dysfunctional friend group, where objectively immoral behavior and unaddressed emotional pain is just an accepted part of the life of the group, something necessary to continue existing.

The cult was a reprieve from the dysfunctional relationships she had developed! For them, emotional pain was confronted/shared/performed as a community. Big contrast to her BF's passive aggression and emotional detachment.

also his camerawork and visual style is legitimately good, anyone dismissing it as 'onions' is just wrong. The problems in this move lie in character development and pacing.

Hereditary was effective because it crescendo'ed in a satisfying way. The firs 2/3'rds are presented as a mystery, with the final act being outrght bonkers horror and bloodshed.

I'm not sure this really captured that rhythm. The moment they get to the community we know they're fucked. It's just a matter of when, and who dies first. The build-up just isn't as intriguing.

I can see that being the case, in the script only Dani was somehow developed. The rest of them were just kind of there.

I definitely believe that's the objectively correct way to look at the story, yeah
The other thought kinda just popped in when I remembered how frustrated I was seeing this group of friends be constantly bitter with each other, kinda felt like the couple that reacted to the suicide like "wtf why is no one addressing this fucked up stuff"
That's mainly what I meant I guess.
But yeah the cult ultimately became the family Dani always wanted and the real "oomph" of the movie came from how fucked it was that literally everyone had to die and suffer so that one person could find some sort of skewed happiness and comfort

There's barely been any threads for it, and the ones we do have just get shitposted to death by whiny politics faggots.

>For them, emotional pain was confronted/shared/performed as a community. Big contrast to her BF's passive aggression and emotional detachment.
Shit, I feel like a brainlet for not consciously making that connection. Christian was so emotionally detached that in the end she'd rather condemn him to death and live with the psychotic cult.

You aren't smart for liking this film. The start wasnt the start of the ritual, it was literally as simple as "I lost my family, I found a family now". The pacing and tone were absolutely all over the place and definitely unintentionally hilariously bad how far ari missed the mark at several points. It basically turned into a slasher half way through, contrived and obvious dream sequences to boot too. Ari exposed himself as a great visual director and that is were it ends, another Nicolas Winding Refn unfortunately, all style no substance
>inb4 style is substance retards

Attached: GracefulConsciousFantail-size_restricted.gif (336x252, 3.04M)

The movie sounds good but i'm a pagan so i need to know how blasphemous it is to know if i should watch it

T H I S
H
I
S

>all style no substance

Attached: 1541376312869.png (900x729, 129K)

>pol triggered
>snowniggers btfo'd
>jumpscare spammers btfo'd by based atmospheric horror
is this the film of the year?

they literally quote a part in some ancient text referring to Odin drinking the cum of hanged men at the gallows for masculine energy restoration or some shit and the main character pukes in her mouth.
but there is a scene where some of them drown a couple members of the commune in a bog for suspected homosexuality so it was pretty tight that they didn't shy away from showing the based side of pagan history.

>implying it isn't
>implying style provides substance
kek

Attached: Dags.jpg (500x449, 46K)

You’re saying the cult was behind the death of her family? Am I a brainlet because I didn’t get any hint of that.

>but-but mummy it had pretty pictures though!

Attached: 1480633843593.jpg (200x202, 12K)

Not at all, OP is just trying to justify the basic student film tier plot. That was not the case at all.

>movies need "substance" or else my 2 iq brain can't like it

Attached: 1522108713176.jpg (400x400, 17K)

white people be crazy sacrificin niggas an shit look at them creepy ass eyes and blonde hair

It's a bit of a stretch, but the Swedish guy seemed to really want her to go with them on the trip, and obviously he was the one tasked with bringing in outside sacrifices. So you could say it's very loosely implied that he killed her family so she'd become more dependent on Christian for emotional support and etc. but at the end of the day I don't think there's enough there to say with certainty that it was the filmmakers' intention.

>movies need pretty pictures or else my 0 iq pea brain can't follow along

>movies aren't allowed to have pretty pictures or else my -100000000000 iq brain cannot enjoy it

The "semen" is not semen but rather the essence of men itself and it comes out of the penis because it represents masculinity and power, also in the context of that story that hanged man is Odin Himself. But yeah anything that makes any mention of that story in a deceiving manner is 100% confirmed to be Judeochristian anti-European propaganda, even if for some reason they talk about the way our ancestors executed degenerates

Nobody is arguing that pretty pictures actively hurt the movie you disingenuous cunt. They aren't enough of their own to save an otherwise shitty movie, though.

>movies aren't allowed to have good acting / dialogue / plot / pacing or my literal empty skull can't enjoy them

Read the script online and just found it really underwhelming compared to hereditary.
All the characters are unlikable, there's maybe one gruesome on screen death, and it just kind of goes out like a wet fart.
Does the film save any of that?

i cannot tell if I like this director or not. I enjoyed both his movies but I have zero desire to ever watch them again

Midsommar was definitely better than Hereditary but it dragged on a little too much

Watch his shorts.

a bunch of people who havent seen an ari aster film but have seen the onions horror infographic arguing with people who actually watch movies ITT

In the trailer, when Dani looks inside the shack and starts freaking out, I was ready to get my shit fucked up as to what was inside. But it was relatively tame imo.

>but rather the essence of men itself and it comes out of the penis because it represents masculinity and power

So semen, then? Regardless of how easy it is to mis-represent, do not forget that seiðr was considered feminine and shameful (for men) and emasculating in the extreme, that men who practiced it were considered ''ergi'' and that even Odin himself was not above catching shit for practicing it. Nor should it be forgotten that seiðr was the only explicitly feminine type of magic and that other types were generally considered to be the domain of men.