Why is one AI primitive and the other far more advanced yet both exist in the same universe?

Why is one AI primitive and the other far more advanced yet both exist in the same universe?

Attached: EB4A1E21-197A-4726-AAF9-FA26EC029E07.jpg (2048x2048, 504K)

Data was made decades before The Doctor by one old man in his basement. Sure he was a genius, but who is to say Dr. Zimmerman is not just as much of a genius or more? Maybe Federation research and development in artificial creatures advanced by leaps and bounds in the decades since Data was made. They WERE studying the guy all the while as well, they even wanted to take him apart but they famously didn't. Finally, the holograms that the bog standard Enterprise computer were able to spit out were already far more advanced than Data, being able to generate Moriarty on demand. These computers that Starfleet had running were way more advanced than they even imagined, the one on the Enterprise even shat out offspring of some kind in that episode (Emergence).

Well that and the voyager ship was bio neural so the doctor had a big brain

Honestly I always found it really amusing, that Star Trek really glossed over the fact their computers could generate human level intelligence on demand.

These computers were seriously advanced. I always had a fun "side canon" (ie, not my actual canon, but a fun thought experiment, pardon my autism), than perhaps the entirety of star trek is a post singularity society, where basically the beyond superhuman a.i.s kept the humans around as pets and let them play "space explorers" and "captains" for fun.

There are also tons of Star Trek technologies that literally make no sense whatsoever for their level of technology. What does Chief O Brien ever does in the "transporter room" anyway? Put little crosshairs on people? What the Fuck does Worf even does during combat? Press the Fire button FTL style, and that after Picard says "Fire" no less?

WTF does the helms guy do? Are you seriously telling me that he can do "evasive manouvres" with a huge space station sized ship, better than an A.I. with full 360 degree awareness of the situation around the ship, the position of every weapon in space and its own momentum and power?

A lot of positions are basically "busybodies", that seem to be there for the purpose of roleplaying their function based on some kind of old ship of the line fantasy when in reality they could have been "automated" long ago.

>Honestly I always found it really amusing, that Star Trek really glossed over the fact their computers could generate human level intelligence on demand.

In the first season I believe it was, the Holograms get upgraded from what I recall and Riker tries to date one. This of course happened after Data was created.

>autism

You. I like you.

Attached: 1363896713172.jpg (300x265, 18K)

Also relevant regarding O Brian.

No wonder he seemed to have more fun on DS9

Attached: tumblr_mmdshnzHhF1rroiseo1_1280.jpg (730x1920, 304K)

The Doctor > Data
Fight me

Also, the doctor moved so fluently and naturally because he was a simulation, similar to a vidya character with a vast mocap and gesture library.
Data had to move every muscle using mechanical or pneumatic motors.

>The producers would routinely put O'Brien under intense psychological pressure in episodes jokingly dubbed 'O'Brien must suffer'. O'Brien was regularly chosen for such storylines because it was felt people could empathise with him.[4]

>racist alcoholic who routinely neglects his wife and is shit at his job
relatable

>WTF does the helms guy do?

I got into a huge fight at work arguing this exact point. There is no job a sapient being can do better than the ships computer. Navigating, combat, tactical awareness, scientific etc. A drone network of robots would be superior in every way, you wouldn't need a single organic on board. If you ever encountered a race that didn't trust AI, just generate a hard light perfect sentient hologram human to be your ambassador

He wasn't standing there all day. He calibrated the sensors and such. It's a complicated machine that requires constant maintenance.

>the entirety of star trek is a post singularity society, where basically the beyond superhuman a.i.s kept the humans around as pets and let them play "space explorers" and "captains" for fun.
You just pefectly described the Culture

Attached: consideras.jpg (221x350, 32K)

Because one is a unique intelligence birthed into the universe trying to find its place and the other is just a simulation of humans with delusions of grandeur humans say is "alive" because it feeds their personal vanity.

Don't forget that Data never really used the emotion chip made for him and the one time he did, well it was fucked. Like was pointed out, the Doctor was tied to the ship more directly while Data was more self-contained by comparison.

cope harder datafag

He had problems with it in Generations but in First Contact it was installed and working fine

Stay mad. The Doc was a NPC.

The doctor doesn't have a neural net. He's basically a super advanced chat bot with advanced medical instructions/tools, an extension of the holodeck basically.
Data is his own unique life form.

seething datafags can't cope with the fact that anything could be more advanced than their faggy retarded android. Is it cause they see themselves in his autistm?

for whom?

What was the point of going to the transporter room at all?

>What does Chief O Brien ever does in the "transporter room" anyway? Put little crosshairs on people?
My dude he operates and monitors a piece of equipment that can mean life or death every single time it's used. You mean to tell me you really can't bring your imagination to some of the scenarios he's been in? Reading site data to assess threats and safety? Boosting confinement beams to complete a transport in a pinch? Checking the Heisenberg Compensators? Diagnosing a failed transport?

>What the Fuck does Worf even does during combat? Press the Fire button FTL style, and that after Picard says "Fire" no less?
Fuck have you ever even played Homeworld? Scan a target to locate its weapons, shields, engines, hull, etc., then assess the strength of each and assess its total strength? Find the area where they're weakest? Maintain a real time threat assessment based on your own ship's strength?

You got a brain, dude.

Attached: the doctors.png (1055x793, 851K)

Because one is government created and the other is basically private sector produced.

Computer ought to be doing all of that.

>Computers ought to be responsible for every level of threat assessment against human beings.

No.

I never found the Doctor that impressive. I thought it was a natural conclusion ot having his program running so much. I mean he's essentially just part of the ship and Enterprise had already covered laid the groundwork of Holographic programs becoming sentient. The most interesting thing about the Doctor is his mobile emitter. And that shit is from the 30th century or something so of course it's more advanced.

Side note just in general shouldn't holograms be used for a lot more. I mean how many times have they had to quarantine a section because of a hull breach or radiation Why aren't Emergency Holograms a thing for every section of the ship?

It'll do it better and faster.

We know where that leads.

Attached: viki.gif (400x225, 1.33M)

Data was purposely made less human in comparison to Lore. Data is also remarkable for being a mechanical being. The Doctor is a more advanced AI, but a hologram.

An underwhelming Will Smith movie?

That's what happens when you treat VOY and DS9 as canon. Noone in those shows gave a shit about continuity or about the trek universe, they just wanted to put their own spin on it but still be attached to the universe, le subversion meme, it's pretty fucking lame. DS9 had no right to drag the entire universe into a interstellar all out dominion war, they had balls but 0 respect.
A lot of people like to shit on ENT of all things but it had the right idea in early seasons. We'd never get the xindi shitshow if it wasn't for DS9. We'd never have star trek turn to the multiple episode narrative formula when it was far better suited with short arcs throughout multiple seasons instead. There's a reason TNG and TOS is considered a timeless classic. Even in early "bad" tng seasons overshadow any VOY season. When you think back to star trek you have so many memorable moments from TOS and TNG, timeless emotional and meaningful scenes and narratives that you can kick back and genuinely enjoy at any time in your life like a fine wine. Name one VOYAGER episode like that? Sure they had decent eps, like Coda for example, but how can it ever compete with any riker episodes? any data episodes?

Sure DS9 had amazing episodes but it's nowhere near as consistent as TNG. There's almost an entire season of TNG that is absolute kino from start to finish, meanwhile the only thing you hear from DS9 clowns as kino is about the same cringe you hear from babylon5 fags, how le ebin dominion war arc was. It was garbage. It was overdrawn, had no right to be so long, to involve so much trek, so many characters, even for a war it was absolutely disrespectful, discontinued the TNG timeline completely, from big things like that to small ones like how they had the arrogance to force edgier uniforms that are now classified as the next step in the timeline similar to TOS TOS movies TNG. How VOY took the moriarty hologram dilemma and made a rights for holograms arc just so the doctor's actor could have his spotlight. And it just goes on, I feel like ds9 fags are just like sisko, quiet, pragmatic, logical and cold as ice on the surface but call them own and they'll go on an autistic rage and shout you into submission. Every amazing piece of dialogue in
DS9 pales in comparison to the amount of sheer wisdom and raw emotion you get from TNG. Of course I'm not saying TNG is perfect, there's flaws in everything but the sheer amount of stupidity you have to go through with VOYAGER and DS9 just so you can finally tell yourself yeah that was a good ep is insane.

Kek 'pushing the narrative forward is SHIT! The universe should maintain the status quo at ALL TIMES!!'

I honestly feel bad for faggots that jerk off to voyager especially, and I mean that in both literal and metaphoric way(looking at you sexbad), they had the right idea in terms of narrative but the cast is so godawful, there isn't a single redeemable character on the show, I honestly can't even decide who is the most insufferable character there. Reversely in DS9 you had good characters but stuck in a shit narrative sequence most of the time. Being a star trek fan is literal suffering, you've got an abysmal amount of cringe neckbeards associated with your show that don't even like the show for the same reasons as you do, they say they like all trek and accept all ideas but secretly hate you for even as much as saying anything bad, ESPECIALLY about voyager.

Data is a 100% autonomous, self contained entity. The doctors holomatrix is being powered and processed by one of the most advanced starfleet ships of it's generation, and later by a advanced future tech.

Because making your own IP takes money and effort, why bother when you can take something that doesn't need to be fixed and put your own spin on it to cash in. Great narrative.

And you can forget about looking for people to watch this shit together like on cytube or whatever. The ONLY time I ever watch trek now is with my ex or tinder dates when I feel like it. At least this way I don't have to deal with a disgusting troglodyte that wants to push how how awesome any voyager ep or how smart and deep DS9 is.
Because I've been going to 1701 for years and every single time I open the tab there's always THAT guy making cringe comments over and over. It's like he's an alien entity that has power over the mods and they're afraid of him or something. Last time I was there he was literally making shitting sounds and adding bizarre commentary from the episode being shown. Don't get me started on the in-jokes these people have, calling keiko cakehole and changing the cast's names and whatever. I honestly couldn't give a shit about any of it up until I had to endure what was the end of every couple of episodes where they shoehorn some heavily edited video their local tranny "musician" made with absolutely TERRIBLE music, it's like breakbeat but made by someone with no skill or training, 4minutes+ of this shit the fucking cringe man, and they have multiple videos of this shit going on. At least in the past you could just go through the list they had on display and watch whatever ep you wanted while the group watched VOYAGER but they even hid that the absolute fucks. Don't even bother to want to watch some trek on the weekend there because it's movie weekend, or MOOBIES like these dweebs like to call it. Last time I saw them actually stream a trek movie was the first time these fucks shoehorned this shit as an excuse to watch movies aka fucking forever ago. And you can't even try to connect with these people because you're basically held hostage to sit and listen to them drone on about unfunny stupid shit 90% of the time, their daily boring routine lives or their shitty jobs for hours and hours.

>but who is to say Dr. Zimmerman is not just as much of a genius or more?
And whose to say I'm not just as much of a genius as Einstein? What the fuck kind of question is this?

They even finally stopped playing movies that were tangentially related to trek through an actor or whatever and went fullblown autism mode with random crap playing around AND EVEN MORE edited cringe bumpers that are even worse than before when all you ever wanted was to just watch some trek. Fucking faggots.
Absolutely horrible congregation of cringe.
I actually had to pay and BUY trek legally than spend another second with another troglodyte off of there.

DS9 is good though

Data is HDD, Doctor is SSD.

It was presumably also installed in the future in All Good Things.

It's a rhetorical question

Data (and his brother) were a genius creation, with the creator calling them his children. The doctor was meant to be for emergencies only, the doctors character is mostly anthropomorphized by the crew.

What I mean by this is Data is a reflection of his creator and all of his insecurities stem from him. The doctor is a reflection of his crew and all his insecurities stem from them.

>WTF does the helms guy do? Are you seriously telling me that he can do "evasive manouvres" with a huge space station sized ship, better than an A.I.
They generally choose pre-written evasive/defensive/aggressive maneuvers that are in the computer's storage, it's very rare that they actually manually maneuver the ships unless it's a last resort.

Attached: 1548164450240.gif (500x208, 925K)

They all have busybody jobs because the Star Trek universe is a liberal utopia without the capitalist drive.

The doctor is the expression of the Computer which is obviously a post-human intelligence that benevolently allows people to ride in its ships though it clearly has no need of them to function

Saved energy from not having to do point-to-point transport. Safer due to starting/ending on transporter pad.

One is powered by an entire ship the other has to fit into a skull/android body.

Why didn't he network with the ship? He could used the ship to do his processing power for him like cloud computing.

By TNG's time, seemingly nothing. In TOS they literally couldn't beam down unless they were standing in the little circles, but when TNG introduced site-to-site transportation with people being transported directly to medbay or brig or whatever, it kind of made it seem pointless.

That said, I do assume there's more to the actual operation and maintenance of the transporter than just pressing a button. Stripping a body into individual particles, whisking them away and reassembling them seems like the kind of thing where a lot can go wrong.

They're unlikely to be directly compatible. Also The Doctor had tons of issues as the years went on with too much junk piling up for him.

Direct Site to Site transport seems like it was only used in emergencies.

Presumably he's not going to spend his entire long life on Enterprise (or any Federation ship) so being dependent on it is a bad arrangement.

This "Star Trek is secretly Culture, humans just haven't realized it yet" theory has the problem in it that the shipboard AIs never take charge, do anything on their own accord or have any apparent goals or interests. As high as their apparent information processing capabilities are, they only do what they're told to do by humans and only serve human goals.

Data's AI does not contain emotions simply because Soong designed him that way in order to spend more time correcting whatever went wrong with Lore which caused him to be a cunt. But regardless, Data has the hardware to experience the full range of human-like emotions and sensations.

The Doctor does not. He cannot experience sensations, such as food. Like Data, his musical ability is the result of programming himself with the ability to human musicians, rather than naturally developing an ability or style.

Additionally, Data is a fully realized physical being. He is a biomechanical creation. The Doctor is a holoprojection and, without future tech, is limited to wherever his emitters are installed.

No matter how you look at it, Data is far more advanced than The Doctor.

Attached: 1544840172570.jpg (1504x1123, 1.06M)

and fully functional

The holograms are projections not what they really are. The Doctor is really supposed to be a big ship's computer. Thus he's more advanced.

>The Doctor is really supposed to be a big ship's computer

No, the Doctor is one of the millions of programs constantly running on that computer.