/ART/ - Arthouse/Experimental General

Pretentious Edition

I'm trying to start a new general to discuss all things Arthouse and Experimental. A lot of threads about these go unnoticed so I want to make this the big one. I hope every thread will have a question or two to ask.
>What got you into Arthouse/Experimental?
>Do you have a favorite Arthouse/Experimental director?

Attached: Arthouse.jpg (1704x1744, 1.24M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NPN5O4KZCO8
letterboxd.com/animechief1982/list/anime-80s-90s-non-mecha-mystery-sci-fi-and/
youtube.com/watch?v=UUPUxqYVzTE
drive.google.com/open?id=1asUYhxHF6GLjKfBS2Hg-RWSkFCtgMriH
drive.google.com/open?id=1EYrCCYLzA7HRFdRGYRC2YsxRpb2eCU05
legacy.aintitcool.com/node/18254
neverendingchartrendering.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Transformers the last knight. all these artistic rato changes every few seconds

I'll start since I'm the one who made the thread
Browsing through my local video store
Would have to say Tarkovsky

I will not let this thread die

Is this bait or do some people actually consider those films to be art house? Those are just normal dramas for the most part. Art house needs to be weirder than flipping Bicycle Thieves.

Why not the entire "Three Colors" trilogy?

I did not make this chart

>art house is weird
the term is a vague descriptor for movies outside the conventional hollywood formula, nothing more

what are some good post-2010's arthouse films? The Hunt was nice, but wouldn't consider it arthouse thou

Lav Diaz's films. They are long and slow but are worth watching all the same.

Stay strong user.

I will.

how do you feel about Pawlikowski? Loved "cold war"

These are exactly the kind of threads that need to be sneeded to death. Fuck this pseudoitellectual shit.

when you said long i didn't thought that they'd last 5h-9h...

if you don't like it you could leave, you know?

Holy Motors

Attached: 1553835679555.png (1644x2048, 1.56M)

Look at that creepy fucker who only makes movies about pedophilia and tell me that that's not what arthouse is all about.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (682x1024, 222K)

>

Attached: 1535484128933.png (500x459, 23K)

why is the Russian Existentialist movement so much better than French New Wave?

Good Director. I thought Cold War was really good.

You are a brainlet
I wish I could've seen the look on your face. They are worth it though

t. Hasn't watched Rivette

I have only watched Buffalo '66, which was Kino. What should I watch next? 8 1/2? Breathless? Chungking? Stalker? Other?

Paris, Texas

Thinking of watching a film tonight. Help me decide between the following teevee: Mike Leigh’s Naked, Stranger than Paradise, La Vie de Jesus, Thief, el Sur

Tarkovsky is a must. Every person who's even remotely interested in art film must watch him. I suggest Solaris for your first Tarkovsky film. L'Avventura is a definite watch. If you're going into french new wave start with The 400 Blows.

Thief

Either or El Sur

Thank you for the input sir.

Thanks fellas

No problem. Chungking is a movie you should watch a bit later along with 8 1/2. You should start with La Dolce Vita if you're going to go Fellini.

Your welcome.

Attached: Whoa Mama.jpg (319x298, 11K)

El Sur is one of my favorite films of all time

It's great

Lars Von Trier

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (223x226, 5K)

literally haven't heard of any film on the right side. uh-oh!

Nice. How does it compare to Spirit of the Beehive? i love that one

That's a good thing. More films to watch and fall in love with

I personally like it better but I love both. If you liked Beehive I’m sure it’ll be up your alley

Most important image in this thread is pic related.

Attached: E5E9F6EC-EFBD-4A79-BE39-841C548737D9.jpg (1968x3400, 2.65M)

Cool, i’ll check it out thanks user

I’d be down to remake the chart if someone can point me towards a website. Some of it is really good but I think the mid level side in particular could use some tweaking

There really isn't a specific website.

Id love if someone updated the chart desu. Use collagemaker maybe

Got the BFI player trial and will probably stay subscribed for a couple months at least, some really excellent stuff on there. M and Throne of Blood were both outstanding as far as things I've never seen until then.

Speaking of Lang I bumped into one of my college lecturers at a screening of Metropolis which had Vangelis there DJing the score. Really interesting presentation, for the Man Machine's transformation into Maria he played Kraftwerk's Metropolis which synced up so marvellously.
Should I go straight to the Marbuse films? Anyone with BFI player have recommendations for films on there?

Instead of remaking the chart how about we expand it. Have a separate chart for Entry Level, Mid Level, and High Level Arthouse. That way there's no tantrums because somebody's film didn't make the cut.

Watch R.W. Fassbinder.

When is a movie arthouse? Low box office returns?

even if we voted on it people would still have films that they think do or don’t deserve it

Arthouse: Something made with the intent of making Art.
Experimental: Film that doesn't follow any sort of conventional structure.

They have a few of his films on there, is Fear Eats the Soul a decent starting point? It's the one I've heard most about. Cheers for the tip by the way lad.

True but it would still be better because people would have more movies to discover.

Yes. Very Much So.

I don’t normally watch a lot of these, so I don’t know if this one really counts, but I did like this one

youtu.be/NPN5O4KZCO8

Cushty, I'll give it a whirl at some time in the next week.

Has anybody in this thread seen Koyannisquatsi? It's one of the best experimental films out there.

You won't regret it.

I really loved it, far more engaging that it sounds on paper. Really shows important the score can be. I really need to see Powaqqatsi.

The Entire Trilogy is excellent desu

I really like arthouse threads, it feels like going from being a big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a big pond, if that makes sense. There's maybe one person I know in real life with more film knowledge me that I'm aware of, but in a little community like this I'll find people that know just vastly more and I'm fine with that. Can always ask for advice and recommendations and actually learn, it's comfy.

Well I made this thread specifically for that. It's so all those threads no longer go to waste and we can all just have one big comfy discussion.

>Replies: 63
>Posters:18
For this sort of topic it's kind of satisfying to he replying to the same people

That's the problem with charts. They're all made by reddit level rubes.

Yeah. I love discussing film with people. I'm hoping to make this the comfiest general known to mankind.

>An art film is typically a serious, independent film, aimed at a niche market rather than a mass market audience.[1] It is "intended to be a serious, artistic work, often experimental and not designed for mass appeal",[2] "made primarily for aesthetic reasons rather than commercial profit",[3] and contains "unconventional or highly symbolic content".[4]
plus the chart literally says entry level as in an introduction to arthouse for someone who hasn’t seen any

Or they're just made to shitpost. If anons do decide to make an Arthouse/Experimental chart, they will need to do it with respect.

Are Nolan, Villeneuve, and Tarantino arthouse?

is turin horse a good starting point to get in to tarr?

>Tarantino
In the 90s you could arguable have made that claim but no
>Nolan
His films aren't independent
>Villeneuve
Some of his films are but he wouldn't be considered an arthouse filmmaker.

Personally I would watch Almanac of Fall first.

Charts bring up an interesting point regarding gatekeeping and contratianism. On the more mainstream end there are people that will shit on certain perfectly fine films because certain people rate them too highly and that's an issue apparently. Like the fact some people really love Fight Club rather than think it's decent makes it a bad movie in the eyes of others.

Regarding arthouse sorts of communities, there's sometimes a mindset that if something is "entry level" it's not worth bothering with. You've bumped into these people surely. They get mad you like Tarkovsky, because he's relatively popular compared to their particular contratian, more obscure, and frankly worse than Tarkovsky darling.

These people are mostly posers. People who hate Tarkovsky are in the same league who hate Kubrick. Try to discuss the movie they are referencing and their tongues get tied up. They either haven't seen or only have watched the movie once when they were like 10.

What is everybody's thoughts on Lars Von Trier?

Kubrick is the best example of this contratianism actually, least I think so. I left him out because I expected absolutely spergery over how he's not art house and that he's somehow massively over-rated.

Obviously popularity doesn't equal good, but to ignore decades of critical and film fan consensus is madness.

People who say he isn't arthouse are retarded. Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut are arthouse films.

Saving this thread yet again

The image you posted.. saw stalker and on the silver globe a month ago because of this. couldn't find decent torrents for some of the lesser known films

No. Although i have watched two tarkovsky films and liked them

Stalker and? What was the other one you saw.Let me guess Solaris?

yeah. which others do you recommend i watch next? i will be stuck in my home for a month after exam ends tommorow.

Andrei Rublev, Ivan's Childhood, and The Mirror.

what happened to the lbg discord?

>discord
Hell no

I don't know what to watch anymore, still can't get into silent films
Personally I think Nostalghia is one of his best

Attached: Screenshot_39.png (706x306, 294K)

What silent movies have you seen user?

Threads like these make me sad because if this were another capeshit or sneed thread it'd get 10x the replies.

Faust, Sunrise, Cabinet of Dr Caligari, Battleship Potemkin, some Chaplin. I tried watching The Passion of Joan D'arc but fell asleep.

These are my favorite films
How pleb am i /art/

Attached: topsters2(1).png (1452x913, 360K)

Fassbinder is hot garbage, just watch Chinese Roulette and skip all the rest

He's a pussy for not making all of his films Dogme 95.

What do you guys think about Yasujiro Ozu?

Attached: ozu.jpg (980x708, 43K)

my favorite japanese director, I recently read Kokoro by Soseki and there’s this very Japanese melancholic mood that I think was very similar to what I get from Ozu, though the book was darker than anything Ozu made.

Don't want to sound stupid but wtf is "Russian Existentialism", I looked it up and it doesn't appear, at least not as a film movement.
Anyways, recs on "russian existentialism" are always welcomed

I actually enjoyed a lot Nymphomaniac, Dogville and The House that Jack Build; but he isn't as original as many of his fans say, I think he tooks a lot of inspiration from Tarkovsky's style, but that's not a bad thing. He isn't a bad director

Protip: watch them in the afternoon, I have the same problem if I watch ANY movie late at night.
Also try Nosferatu, M and Pandora's Box

solid pics, but The Thing isn't too artistic. Try Kieslowski and Godard's filmography

Watch D.W. Griffith’s entire filmography several times over then report back

M isn’t silent...

You don't have that power

Fuck no, there're reddit

True... I just thought of German Expressionism and forgot, then watch Metropolis; solid 9 imo

Also what do you think of The Favourite? Seems arthouse to me and the acting was excelent

>Also what do you think of The Favourite?
Easily the best 2018 contender. Yorgos is a beast.

What makes an action romp like Seven Samurai "arthouse"?

I mean, how is Seven Samurai arthouse or experimental? I guess the filming techniches are pretty advanced, and the weather being a essential part of the scene was avant garde, the story is pretty tight, not that it's a bad thing.
Seventh Seal, well, I'll give it that, it's a mind boggler.
Possession though? I'd say it's more of a great example and one of the few true lovecraftian/political/relationship horror movies ever made.

I didn't expect to laugh during his films because the synopses seemed very dark. But they're very funny.

>he examines movies for their """"plot""""

this is why film critics should be hanged

I dare say Angel's Egg is the most arthouse anime movie ever made. Seriously, Oshii was channeling Ingmar pretty hard on this one. Sad that it never got the recognition it deserved, it definitely belongs in the criterion collection, or some sort of high definition rerelease.
A great movie to just sit down and pick apart.

Second one to this as far as animated arthouse goes would be Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

Attached: AngelsEgg1985.jpg (260x343, 85K)

I've been getting most of my film recommendations from taste of cinema. There's a lot of clickbait and shitty articles, but every once in a while I find something new worth watching.
Where do you get your recommendations/discussion from? I tried reddit too but it fucking sucks

It's the only ones I've seen from the OP.
I mean, yeah, when you show me an arthouse that isn't two hours of dreck then I'll consider the experimental arthouse genre worthwile.

your loss

I've been gone for an hour but as the creator of /art/ I'm glad to see a discussion has started to pick up more. I hope to see this become something great

the duck race was so fucking kino. we need a webm of that shit

I've been gone for an hour but as the creator of /art/ I'm glad to see a discussion has started to pick up more. I hope to see this become something great

Crap. Sorry about this guys, it said I mistyped my captcha so I posted it again. Ignore this post

>couldn't find decent torrents for some of the lesser known films
It's really fucking hard to get some of them if you're not on an invite to a private site. Between TPB, rutracker, and aiosearch you should be able to find damn near anything. A lot of people also use mega.nz but generally for that you'll need a direct link, so don't count on that.

Attached: deux fois2.png (410x538, 192K)

it was a different time. kurosawa was some of the first japanese/foreign cinema to be show at american “art houses”, so even though today we don’t find seven samurai to be particularly artsy (compared to, i dunno, something more out there like color of pomegranates) it was a big deal at the time and was something other than english language MGM/RKO kind of pictures

Unironically from Listal. Lots of cool movie lists there. Even weird movies I've never heard of. There's a particular 7+ part movie list that is interesting.

yeah angel’s egg is beautiful. and the og ghost in the shells too. is there anything else like this? i’m a pretty big animated feature film fan and am always on the lookout

HAHAHAHA
Antichrist is the best imo.
All time great.

gay shit

My favorite Arthouse Animation film is Redline.

WHAT DID YOU SAY CAPESHITTER?! NED GET MY WARHAMMER

Attached: Anime Robert.jpg (800x450, 70K)

You can't go wrong with Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue, also, Mamoru Oshii also dis Patlabor 2, which is a political/social critique disguised as a mech movie (and also one of the few great english dubbed anime movies.)

Western animation, I'd go with Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow and It's Such a Beautiful Day, both are worth checking out.

Attached: Patlabor_2_poster.jpg (265x376, 17K)

This is a good point I've gotta think on.

Based trips. Also what version of Blade Runner do you prefer?

Anger is also a form of entertainment, just like sados with pain, SJWs with outrage, and horror house enthusiasts with fear.

user entered a thread he disliked because he enjoys his anger, and he enjoys the smug feeling of telling people they have inferior tastes. Nothing wrong with that.

Who's better /art/?

Attached: methode_times_prod_web_bin_4378bfd0-2095-11e8-8ccc-a83211a65142.jpg (685x385, 41K)

No, that's a bad starting point. If you to watch his films where he uses long takes then go with Damnation or Werckmeister Harmonies. I would go with Werckmeister Harmonies because it's a masterpiece.
Hard to be a God, Goltzius and the Pelican Company, The Turin Horse

>>What got you into Arthouse/Experimental?
Watching La Dolce Vita
Not really, there are too many great directors to pick from. Experimental cinema is not for me. I'm not a big fan of Brakhage and Snow. Anger is the only one that's alright out of the experimental directors i know.
Cuaron i guess although they are all overrated and not that great.

I'm looking for a movie, a still used to be posted here a lot.
It was a surreal image, a few men standing in two lines that originated from the center and go towards the lower corners. The horizon is and ground are not realistic like if it's in a dream.

Almost everything is better than FNW.
Czechoslovak New Wave = Japanese New Wave > French New Wave

>tfw low attention span

Attached: 1278956355832-dumpfm-jeanette-alien_dance.gif (327x487, 3.64M)

>although they are all overrated and not that great
Del Toro for sure other than that I don't know what you're talking about.

Did anybody see La Antena? I feel like their use of cheaper effects (nonpractical, Disney-tier really) was honestly pretty charming when used in the moderation they set. It was a very nice mix of practical, reel manipulation and good ol' cheap chroma keying. 7/10 for me personally. It was enjoyable. The only thing I'd have changed is the kid's skin over his eyes because it was really hard to like a kid that terrifying to the instincts.

Attached: La antena2.jpg (1000x1415, 321K)

Inarritu is gimmicky director the same goes for Cuaron. Revenant was supposed to be survival story but Inarritu had to add the son subplot and some frankly very empty and pointless dream sequences that dragged the whole film down. Birdman is long take gimmick that was done better in Russian Ark, the film was alright mainly because of performances. Babel is a terrible film, i basically agree with everything that Mark Kermode said on that one. 21 Grams once again the structure of the film is a pointless gimmick. Biutiful i don't even remember and Amores Perros is very good. He is overrated as fuck and definitely not one of the best directors working.

I will check it out. Thanks user for the rec

I can't fully agree with this because I do feel like titles such as "Diamonds of the Night" or "Eyes Without a Face" or even "Jules & Jim" (and a lot of Agens Varda) have an enormous amount of value in the world of film. The French inspired so much of the Japanese new wave and the Czech new wave, and I say this as someone who believes nothing rivals the Czech new wave. Maybe I'm just a sucker for how the French treated infidelity or the thoughts of the bourgeoisie, but I do feel that the French gave the world of film more value than the Japanese when it came to their new wave eras.
np

Cuaron. Only because he made Gravity.

Taiwan New Wave is better than all those three

I'm not exactly sure what's considered arthouse but what would you recommend based off of these?
> House (1977)
> Amarcord
> Funeral Parade of Roses
> The Killing of a Sacred Deer
> Love Exposure
> Belladonna of Sadness
> Suspiria (2018)
> Repulsion
> Phantom Thread
> The Holy Mountain
> Wes Anderson's filmography
> Lynch's filmography ( except Inland Empire, Elephant Man, The Straight Story, and Dune)

Same and it sucks because I want to watch more Tarkovsky but I had to restart Solaris like three times before I finally watched it all the way through.

Dario Argento

Anything specific? I've only seen the original Suspiria and Inferno, which I watched earlier this year.

Sure they have value and are an inspiration to other filmmakers. That doesn't mean that i like it more than the things they inspired. I'm not a fan of Godard, Truffaut and Varda. Rohmer, Rivette and Resnais are good. I find lot of the films to be incredibly annoying. Especially the Godard and Truffaut ones.
Not really.

I honestly adore Rivette and Rohmer.

Phenomena and Opera

What are your problems with Taiwan New Wave? The Puppetmaster is one of the most beautiful films ever made.

>Especially the Godard and Truffaut ones
Thanks for the clarification. I agree with this sentiment.

What do you all think about Antonioni? Especially the alienation trilogy, Blow Up and The Passenger.
What's your favourite Rivette?

Attached: cinematheia_on_Michelangelo_Antonioni.jpg (625x407, 93K)

I agree about Revenant because at the time it selled itself as a survival man vs nature tour de force and the BTS drama around it intensified my interest. It ended up not delivering half of that but still a solid film w/ quality locations and recreation of that time period.

Russian Ark was an actual one-shot process whereas Birdman wasn't. It's gimmicky but it's quality gimmick.

Biutiful and Babel were absolutely great movies with heavy-oriented topics done right. I didn't watched 21Grams.

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Movie is old so that makes it arthouse

Attached: 2rdkbw.png (205x246, 4K)

I don't have many problems with it. I just don't think it's as great Czechoslovak New Wave and Japanese New Wave. Still pretty great. I haven't seen The Puppetmaster, i'm still hoping they will announce some restoration or something like that. I don't want to watch the crappy DVD.
Inarritu feels like a show off, the long takes aren't organic they feel very artificial and not in a good way. Like look at me what i can do. Look at me. I know that Russian Ark was an actual one take, i just think it was better. Eh i disagree about Babel i thought it was terrible, self important babble.

>What do you all think about Antonioni?
One of the greats. Can't speak highly enough of him.
>What's your favourite Rivette?
La Belle Noiseuse

It's all just personal preference at the end of the day. What are your thoughts on Romanian New Wave. It's very underrated yet it's got some great movies.

Generally, these threads are centered around the new wave and not just arthouse in the dictionary sense. There's not enough of a crowd here on redditchan otherwise.

Watched An Autumn Afternoon last night and found myself incredibly invested in the characters and the atmosphere. Did not expect it.

thanks user

>seven samurai, an action drama, listed as art-house
>La Haine, a crime drama, listed as art-house
>The Possession, a horror thriller, listed as art-house

Attached: 1553274666698.jpg (722x712, 106K)

As I've said previously, I am not the one who made the chart nor did I have any input in it. Thanks for your understanding

>what would you recommend based off of these?
Nicolas Roeg's filmography

fuck you anyway

What's you favourite Antonioni?
>La Belle Noiseuse
That's a good one. I want to rewatch it, from what i remember that would be my favourite Rivette too. Celine and Julie Go Boating is very good too.
Puiu, Mungiu and Porumboiu are the ones i know from Romanian New Wave. I like them quite a bit. They make some good dramas and Porumboiu made some funny comedies. His new film looks interesting too.

I still care about you anyway user

I'm gonna kick your ass your sonava bitch

Be nice it's a comfy bunker thread.

God damn Stalker was kino. That ending scene really touched me.

>What's you favourite Antonioni?
L'Eclisse though L'Avventurs is a very close second.
>Celine and Julie Go Boating is very good too
Agreed. Rivette was a genius period.
>They make some good dramas and Porumboiu made some funny comedies. His new film looks interesting too
Also Agreed.

Have you ever tried meditating. It helps calm your sense. You should try it sometime.

I refuse to do anything but boil with immense rage

Attached: 1559436770857.jpg (1057x252, 94K)

>Nicolas Roeg
While I was making I list I reminded myself more than once to make sure I include The Man Who Fell From Earth and I still forgot, thank you for reminding me. I should probably rewatch it I bought the remastered blu-ray a few years back and didn't even open it. And finally watch Don't Look Now, I've been putting that off for years.

Then you should try getting into Martial Arts. Use that rage for your advantage.

I watched L'Eclisse for the second time yesterday. I will probably watch it again today or tomorrow with the commentary track on. Very interesting film. Great atmosphere and the ending is one of the best endings ever. I have seen L'Avventura only once but i found it quite dull. I prefer La Notte to both L'Avventura and L'Eclisse. I plan to rewatch both L'Avventura and La Notte soon so hopefully La Notte will remain as great as i remember it and L'Avventura will improve.

I refuse to utilize my rage towards anything productive, only destructive pursuits.

L'Avventura was the first one of his I watched so it holds very special place in my heart. Another question I have. What do you think of Satyajit Ray? Do you think some of Orson Welles's Films could be considered Arthouse?

In that case what are you doing on here? Go out there and mess some shit up

This site is a gathering ground for the mentally and emotionally feeble, it's an easy place to encourage misery and pain

True. Are you always like this or are you going through the motions?

Walkabout and the criminally underrated Eureka should be watched too.

I was born to kill

I have also seen L'Avventura first. I didn't really get what was he trying to do. As i went through the trilogy i got more immersed into his filmmaking.
I haven't seen any Ray film yet, where should i start?
Sure, i think the definition of arthouse is very broad. Some of his films could be considered arthouse.

I'll add them to the list, thanks again.

Pather Panchali and Charulata are the essentials for Ray.

Alright, i will check them out. Thanks.

I can't help you. Sorry

I can help you. To get fucked up the ass

It's my pleasure.

Nainsukh
The Unknown Craftsment

This conversation is pointless. You've gained nothing from it and I've gained nothing from it.

The Lobster

Consider the Lobster

We must keep this thread alive. I'm going to sleep so you guys better keep it for as long as you can and make the next one if you have to.Please don't let this general go to waste.

Check out Peter Greenaway.

Just let things go naturally. If she dies then she dies. We can make a new one for /film/ so people don't meme "arthouse".
Also, has anybody seen "Blancanieves (2012)"? I'm considering snatching a torrent but the base of the story is putting me off a little. Is the seven dwarves thing handled well?

Is anyone familiar with Keisuke Kinoshita? What film should I start with?

Attached: Keisuke_Kinoshita[1].jpg (274x378, 145K)

>I'm trying to start a new general to discuss all things Arthouse and Experimental.
Based.

Attached: Angel's Egg.webm (550x310, 2M)

Another beast for sure

The Ballad of Narayama is a good start. Legend of a Duel to the Death is also good. Twenty-Four Eyes is probably his best film.

nothing wrong with mixing in a bit of the comfier classics

Amores Perros and Birdman are his only good films. Biutiful is terrible and Revenant is trying so hard to be a Malick it's actually embarrassing.

Good idea was going to suggest this last arthouse related thread
Threads about individual arthouse films never seem to last very long but theres enough ppl interested that a general is a good idea

I think threads about individual directors and films generate smaller but better discussion. General will be drowned in shitposts, sooner or later, but it is an admirable effort.

agreed lets keep this going as long as possible
i'm working on a megachart as a general opener, i'll try have it ready soon

well sometimes they get like 2 replies and that's it and sometimes i just can't be bothered to make a thread about a film/director because i know it will only get 2 replies max
so having a general i think actually encourages more conversation

Sure, i hope it goes well and won't die in a week. Hopefully it will last and more people contribute.

Sorry I'm so late. I'm the guy who's tried making some of those chart/grid threads and love to see some more meaningful conversations around here.

>What got you into arthouse/experimental?
I had a great friend who was really great at introducing me to a lot of cool things. First director that really resonated with me and showed me what a truly coherent film could be was Antonioni.
>Do you have a favorite arthouse/experimental director?
Vincent Gallo

Tough question. Goltzius was a good choice as was Turin Horse, but those are both really late period works that I would say are best experienced with some context of both directors earlier works. Soderbergh and Reichardt's newer films are great and require a lot less context.

>Blowup
>exit level

To be honest my philosophy is always go chronologically with directors, especially ones as singular as Tarr.

Yea it's really good. I've been going through a lot of older 80s anime though and Angel's Egg's style is not as unique as I once thought, I'd really reccomend checking more out. Selecting random stuff from this list has been really cool for me: letterboxd.com/animechief1982/list/anime-80s-90s-non-mecha-mystery-sci-fi-and/

L'Eclisse one of the greatest film creations ever, Blowup slaps but isn't really high tier, The Passenger is fantastic. To be honest my favorite film of his from his color period is Zabriskie Point which weirdly seems underrepresented. I can't specifically articulate it but that film reaches farther than most of his stuff while still remaining consistent.

Out of all Lynch movies, you choose to feature WaH? Why?

>L'Eclisse one of the greatest film creations ever
Why? Also what do you think about La Notte and L'Avventura?

L'Eclisse is the film Antonioni was born to make, it has the clearest expression of all his central themes: architecture, alienation, boredom, intangibility. It all comes to a head in that end sequence, the best thing Antonioni filmed (which makes it among the best things anyone's filmed).
L'Avventura's that big messy leap into the concept that is usually explored further/better on the following works on great artists (with Le Amiche and Il Grido doing that in smaller scale as well). It's a great, great film that unfortunately does feel slightly marred by some of the production problems and the fact that some of the material explored has a more nuanced presentation in Antonioni's later stuff. There is some articulation there, especially in regards to the Sandro character, that is expressed fairly uniquely here so it's definitely essential.
La Notte's got some great stuff in it, but unfortunately I feel like Antonioni kinda drew a little back here to narrow his focus a bit. It's a great little study and in the hands of any other director it would probably be their masterpiece, but Antonioni is capable of so much more so I'm usually left thinking less of this one than his other works. The sequence where Moreau walks through the city though is INSANE and among Antonioni's best.

I'm glad someone's making these threads. I'm tired of this garbage board, and yet there's no other place on the Internet for film discussion that I like as much when it comes down to it. This site is something special and I think we should appreciate it while we have it. But goddamn, the high traffic boards are insufferable.
I just really hope the threads don't turn to complete shit. I'm not sure if making it an active general is a good idea.

>Blow Up and The Passenger.
I like both a lot.
Haven't seen the trilogy yet, or anything else by Antonioni, I need to get on that.
In fact, I liked those two so much I could already list him among my favorite directors, but I feel like I need to get more of a taste of his work

I watched my first Rivette film last night, Celine and Julie, loved it.
I guess I'm gonna watch La Belle Noiseuse next, then give Out 1 a try. Anybody got any other recs?

I made pic related out of boredom and mostly just for aesthetics, but it does have a couple of my favorite movies. Nothing remotely obscure. Can anyone recognize the nightly beach? That is one of my very favorite films.

Attached: 3xThree.jpg (979x979, 507K)

Stop making these images without text for what the films are, its stupid

Whats the film in the top left ?

List is missing Ousmane Sembène

The classical thread on mu has been alive for years. On fucking mu.

Paris, Texas.
I like doing them, I like assembling images and trying to match the visuals and themes. I don't think it's stupid not to annotate them, I'll happily respond when someone asks for something, and I think it's a bit of fun to guess what a movie might be when a screenshot isn't immediately recognizable

Is manhunter ART?

>I don't think it's stupid not to annotate them

Your opinion stinks

So does your mom

Suggest me more films like this where autistic people struggle to find love in a summer rural France, please.
The Green Ray, A Summer’s Tale by Éric Rohmer
The Lacemaker by Claude Goretta

I agree about the ending. Fantastic stuff, it had this horror and apocalyptic atmosphere at the end. Still not sure about what some sequences were supposed to say but i hope the commentary on bluray will give me some more ideas. Out of all of his films i have seen this one feels the most experimental in its structure.
What kind of production problems?
I liked La Notte the most so far, that one has the most conventional structure and the characters were very well explored. It felt more focused, his other ones are more sprawling.
>Landscape in the Mist
Great one. Angelopoulos is fantastic.
Definitely check the trilogy out.
All of Rivette films are pretty good. The only one i didn't like was Merry Go Round.

L'Avventura had a whole bunch of problems like the crew being stranded on the island for a while due to financial and weather trouble among other things. Wikipedia has as pretty good summary of it.
Also I wouldn't suggest approaching Antonioni as someone to gleam specific meaning off everything, he's usually much more interested in notions and moods. He also seems to encourage great introspection when engaging with his work, so I would recommend seeing what the images mean to you specifically and your values rather than trying to find an easy to define "meaning".

Antonioni is numero uno

Attached: campagnebeeld-antoniony_0.png (640x440, 515K)

I didn't know about that, i will read on it.
Yes i know that, still it's nice to see what other people's opinion on it are. I don't think there is a common interpretation of something as complex and elusive as L'Eclisse. The introspection thing is true, that's what i liked about L'Eclisse so much.

Hey man you're pretty cool. Have you seen any of Vincent Gallo's stuff? I gotta ask because since delving into his output it's legitimately changed my whole view on what art can/should be.

Not yet. Buffalo 66 is in my watchlist.

It's crazy man. After checking out Buffalo 66 I highly recommend seeing this interview he did with Elvis Mitchell. He really outlines a lot of the principles central to his work and it gives a great perspective on his approach: youtube.com/watch?v=UUPUxqYVzTE
Also when you get to The Brown Bunny, if you need a copy with Gallo's director's commentary I could send you a link. A first watch without commentary is recommended, but if it leaves you cold if you watch it with the commentary it really provides context for the whole thing and is one of the greatest, most honest artistic achievements I've seen.

Alright, i will check it out.
If you have a link then sure, i like commentaries. Thanks.

Here it is: drive.google.com/open?id=1asUYhxHF6GLjKfBS2Hg-RWSkFCtgMriH

There's also a live performance bootleg in there, which was the one that really clicked his music style for me.

Thanks. I will check Buffalo 66 out and then this one. I have to watch and delete some films from my computer first.

I gotta say, I enjoy the shit out of this guy's interviews. I've only seen 66 once though and wasn't especially impressed, but I'll give it another try eventually. It's interesting to me that you're such a big fan. He's certainly a pretty interesting artist though, based on listening to him speak

>I have to watch and delete some films from my computer first.
I always have this problem, my hard drive is full and I have a folder full on unseen movies that I can't get around to watching, and yet I keep squeezing in new ones that I get interested in and then they just sit in there for months on end, shit

Attached: A Swedish Love Story.mkv_snapshot_01.50.03_[2019.02.22_21.26.51].jpg (1200x720, 65K)

Not arthouse but holy shit that mall scene in police story 1 is fucking brutal and pure kino. I can't stand the Cantonese comedy but the action is masterful.

Gallo is the fucking king man. His approach to art (embodying your own sensibility since that's the only one you can know in absolute, considering how each element contributes to a film conceptually rather than using broad generalizations, having an informed sensibility through experience with the craft) is the gold standard. His Howard Stern interview is great too, which unfortunately has been taken off Youtube recently. Here's another Drive link though if you're interested: drive.google.com/open?id=1EYrCCYLzA7HRFdRGYRC2YsxRpb2eCU05

Also here's one of my favorite text interviews with him: legacy.aintitcool.com/node/18254

Opinions on this man and his body of work?

Attached: Peter+Greenaway.jpg (800x557, 26K)

One of the all times for real. I've only been through his 70s and 80s works but Z00 and Belly of an Architect are immortal..

His 90s films are also great. Baby of Macon and Prospero's Books are great. His newer films are also interesting except the Eisenstein one, that one is weak.

Should I watch the original version of Eros+Massacare or the Director's cut? Which is considered better?

Attached: Eros+MassacreDVD[1].jpg (263x378, 15K)

Which film is the nightly beach? Casa de Lava was my favorite beach at night scene

Altman's The Long Goodbye. Adore that movie.
Not the most screenshottable, unfortunately, not least because the camera is constantly in motion.

Attached: The Long Goodbye.mkv_snapshot_00.10.51_[2018.12.27_17.13.48].jpg (1920x1080, 106K)

I have seen the Director's Cut. Pretty great film, i don't know what the differences are in different cuts.

This may be a bit of a weird request but I'm looking for more films with lots of beautiful emotional closeups, like in The Passion of Joan of Arc, Come and See, Ménilmontant, Persona and The Ascent. Any ideas?

A combination of Antichrist and Stalker

I'd have to say von Trier would be my favourite

I'm also a big Lynch fan, Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead being among my favourite films ever.

I have a somewhat mixed relationship with Tarkovsky. I adored Stalker and The Sacrifice, and I quite enjoyed Nostalghia. I hated Solaris and The Mirror failed to grip me. Haven't seen Andrei Rublev or Ivan's Childhood; are they worth watching based on my other Tarkovsky experiences?

>Casa de Lava
Haven't seen that, I'm gonna check it out, seems pretty interesting

Attached: The Long Goodbye.mkv_snapshot_00.06.10_[2018.12.27_17.07.37].jpg (1920x1080, 180K)

Have you seen other Costa's films?
Check them out. It's hard to say whether you are going to like them. All of his films are somewhat different.

Yeah I’ve seen them all except for Ne change rien. He’s one of my favorite directors

Colossal Youth and In Vanda's Room are pretty great from what i remember. Horse Money had some interesting visuals. I wonder when his new one will be out. Maybe Locarno this year.

Haneke
>Amour
>Caché
>The Piano Teacher
>The White Ribbon
one of the masters of this century

I explained earlier in the thread why “Seven Samurai” should be considered arthouse. “La Haine” is debatable, it definitely fits the definition of an art film but since it’s newer and labels are ridiculous it probably is better suited by the designation “foreign indie drama”. “Possession” is definitely an arthouser, my opinion is that it should be in the mid level chart.

I’ve only seen the original Narayama, how does the remake compare? I think it won the Palm

it’s a really old chart. it fits but if i remade the chart i also wouldn’t include it.

For me it's Le chevalier noir se lève (2012)

>an action drama
>a crime drama
>a horror thriller
I don't see how any of those contradict a film being arthouse
of course, people will always argue about what exactly it should mean, but arthouse isn't constrained by genre, it's a much broader category.

honestly, I'd put Blue Velvet on there, since it's an "entry level" chart

Attached: 1506511031067.jpg (1920x1080, 405K)

These are the Altman films I’ve seen in order of enjoyment
>McCabe & Mrs. Miller
>The Long Goodbye
>Nashville
>Gosford Park
>Brewster McCloud
>The Player
>MASH
where do I go from here? I’m thinking of going with 3 Women and Images

The Mirror makes more sense within the context of the works he made up to that point. I think it is his best, maaaybe his second best film. Ivan’s Childhood and Andrei Rublev are both essential views

agreed. Eraserhead would also fit better

Someone please remember to make the next thread

It's very good. I would recommend watching it. Imamura is a very good director. I think i prefer the original but the remake is still worth it.
3 Women, Short Cuts, Images, California Split, Secret Honor are all quite good.

I have yet to see Images myself. Haven't seen Brewster either.
3 Women is interesting and definitely the least accessible of his that I've seen.
I really liked California Split as well

Short Cuts is good, forgot about that

good looks thanks

Everybody seems to love Celine & Julie Go Boating, which I thought it wasnt anything special.
La Belle Noiseuse was ok, didnt click for me, but I get why some people may love it. But C&J I dont get it.
What am I missing?

You don't have to be missing anything, it may just not be for you. People have different sensibilities and that's fine.

neverendingchartrendering.org/

thanks

Feels nice to actually have a discussion on Yea Forums, i love you guys. For a long time now when i browse Yea Forums i see nothing interesting so i go back to Yea Forums. My favourite director is bergman, but his best movie is not on the list. Yes i think persona is better than the seventh seal. Also I've discovered arthouse from the furfag of youtube, Adam.

scaruffi

My favourite Bergman would be The Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander and Autumn Sonata. Hour of the Wolf is quite underrated, one of the best horror films. Cries and Whispers was disappointing, it was extremely convoluted and the film was explained in the final monologue.

Bump

I've been checking Yea Forums once in a while, waiting for such a thread to pop-up.
Tell me lads, do you have an independant cinema nearby? How is it? What's screening?
Currently shitposting from the projection booth of a small cinema in Paris. It's not a great time right now, next release I'm hyped for is So Long My Son, and a couple of restoration retrospectives this summer.
Give me your letterboxd handles I'll follow u, no homo.

Marry me so i can get French cards, no homo.

Scaruffi doesn't even watch the movies he rates.

I live in a small city with one cinema which only projects films when there are 10 or more people in one screening. Sometimes they project when there are 8 people. The projectionist told some people that they should go home before the screening of Silence, because it's boring. So yeah, not great. The newest arty films are shown in cinema to which i have to drive 45 minutes. They are shown only one day a week and only showtime. As far as retrospectives go, zero retrospectives here. I have already given up, i watch everything at home.

give me your top 5 films and I'll see what I can do about it

Bergman was my first big breakthrough in film exploration. I'm still a big fan now, even though I still haven't seen all of his work. You can't gorge it all up in one go, I think once you're in love with it, it never leaves you and you can simply keep discovering and rediscovering his films. It's all very sensitive, there's no sense in overintellectualizing it as we usually do in France.

Outrageous. Always sad to see that there are people in this branch of work who have so little passion and culture. There's only six spectators inside right now and I'm not making a fuss about it.

Yes it's pretty shitty here. Silence was projected because they didn't leave. I'm always surprised when some more arty film is projected. The new Jim Jarmusch is playing this week, i wonder how many people will come to see that.

>Top 5 personal movies
Shame by steve mcqueen
La dolce Vita
American Psycho
Requiem For A Dream
Pan's Labyrinth
Will you marry me and give me your precious cards?

Haven't seen it yet, I liked quiet poetry Jarmusch better. Not really looking forward to grotesque cameo Jarmusch desu.

a fan

Attached: 1548733687967.jpg (1423x1080, 189K)

>closet homosexual director who lived in his mother's basement for 60 years
he's based and redpilled

It doesn't look very good, everything i have read about it sounds like i won't like it. I still might go and see it. At least i will be annoyed in cinema and not at home.

I don't get it. Doesn't it cost them money? Are they some kind of pirate theatre? That would be cool. Their behavior doesn't make any sense otherwise

I have zero idea, it's like they want to go home or some shit. 2 or 3 people work there and i doubt that the electricity is that expensive that they couldn't afford to project a film to 3 people or so. The cinema that is 45 minutes away is a bigger chain and they have no problem to project to one or two people.

Always good to live it how it's supposed to. Besides, I've been suprised by film which weren't exciting me in the first place. And you might chat up with someone nice about it.

I'm afraid it wouldn't work out between us, dear.

I don't get it either, I couldn't just close up shop and say to my boss to unpay me for the next two hours, that wouldn't make sense.
Every theater past midnight is a pirate theater ;^)

>Bergman was my first big breakthrough
same m8
it all began with the seventh seal for me

Man, anything like this out there? Just mesmerizing. the mood and atmosphere was exactly what I expected from an obscure sadcore arthouse film

Attached: une_femme_en_afrique-617386057-large-185x278.jpg (185x278, 18K)

my favourite bergman film btw is winter light

Picnic scene in Seventh Seal.

what did we think of it /ART/?

Attached: MV5BMmY5YzZjMjQtMjc2NS00ZDU2LTk4MTgtZDgwZmRmM2VlZTVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAzNjk5MDI4._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,67 (679x1000, 94K)

Best Korean films like this? There's something so ineffably sad and comfy about arthouse Asian cinema

Attached: Poetry.jpg (315x445, 44K)

Where did you see this?

not seen it yet but looking forward strickland is best contemp british director imo
lee chang dong hasn't made a bad film

Attached: moe no suzaku.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

>Naomi Kawase
haven;t got round to it yet but been meaning to watch her films for ages

Curzon with free entry thanks to based MUBI

Best Western animated film of all time coming through.

wasn't blown away by The Mourning Forest but suzaku's just got that magic

Attached: Tragedy of Man.jpg (182x268, 14K)

>dear
Am i a joke to you...

>The Green Ray

Based.

Try Suntan, sorry it's rural Greece, but it's exactly what you're looking for

with that list, you probably are a joke to him

I just googled and the release date in my country is late November. This is not fair. Hopefully bluray comes out before.

My men.
>Skålen med smultron, skålen med mjölk
I cry everytime

no hard feelings, good friends, to each his own kino

>calling it an art house

Its an art GALLERY you pretentious assholes

You seem confused, this thread concerns art's residence, not its workplace

finally came around to see Angst, was pretty dissapointed desu, camera is stellar, so is sound but other than that it's pretty tame

What's wrong with my list? Oh wait i forgot I'm in that board where you aren't allowed to enjoy something personally. I bet you are a really fun person and you don't take yourself seriously at all.

I'll kill you

Go ahead faggot

Attached: 1561725159140.gif (286x258, 2.51M)

*whips out dick*
BANG BANG
YOU'RE DEAD

>A Brighter Summer Day

Attached: 1557264981782.png (1280x720, 892K)

I use the power of this third dub in a row to bannish you from this board

Reroll to bannish this guy, i need just one more dub

Fak, roll again

Not gonna happen buddy. You missed your chance already. I'm going to haunt your posts from now on

Attached: 1427384626880.jpg (356x437, 41K)

Nothing personel motherfucker

See

See

Attached: 1460097539386.png (538x600, 414K)

>3 dubs vs 0 dubs
yeah i win motherfucker, I'm gonna bath in your blood while i fuck your mom

Attached: 1561702846572.jpg (610x395, 100K)

And i just got the fourth one, fucking kek

Attached: 1561744680820.jpg (450x600, 65K)

I respectfully disagree

Attached: 1449657499316.jpg (660x350, 33K)

Dubs of truth right here.

>4 vs 0 now
I need something else now after your mom

the real doubles were the shitposts I made along the way

Attached: 1449867557447.jpg (472x472, 45K)

make a new thread, do you fags complement your superior taste with superior taste in literature, philosophy and music? if so how do you concile the time you assign to each? I found myself reading more than watching movies the last year

didn’t mean to reply to

Whats your favourite Malick flick then lads?

Attached: 1556384790887.png (1920x816, 1.63M)

Literature and philosophy no, because they take way to much time, and my time is limited because of shit life. Music on the other hand is something that i can't live without, and Yea Forums is the best board on Yea Forums.

The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life

Before thread dies add me on Letterboxd

Attached: 66E09539-C900-4778-B28B-172E6895D8C9.jpg (750x1194, 460K)