What's with movies and TV shows depicting cops and especially detectives/inspectors as hardcore alcoholics with their...

What's with movies and TV shows depicting cops and especially detectives/inspectors as hardcore alcoholics with their family lives in shambles?

Is it just a trope or are they actually like that in real life?

Attached: true_detective_booze.jpg (620x412, 173K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OhaZunwvW5o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they work a lot of hours and see a ton of bad shit, with the only way to unwind being alcohol which is rampant in that culture. alcoholics almost inevitably ruin their own lives, so it makes sense.

note that this only applies to real police (city cops), not the lazy fucks in small towns

You dont deal with the worst humanity has to offer everyday for 8-14 hours without having a few

The divorce rate is pretty high for cops. They work with an ever changing schedule, that will not spending as much time that is needed with their family

Watch series when.

Attached: 724f3f76538110102a6d4dec9329d3f3.jpg (407x500, 27K)

hey c'mon now, a cop's a cop no matter where he works

i don't know why they get married in the first place, did they really think they can manage both?

I seen him drink a few times, and once he said Mrs Columbo was upset he didn't bring any flowers home.

Attached: Peter-Falk-as-Columbo.jpg (605x830, 152K)

>small town cops don't deal with meth heads constantly and domestic disputes

how old are you?

Attached: mosdef.jpg (1385x2048, 2.59M)

you can be an average cop that does the bare minimum, clock in clock out fine with no problems in personal life. if you want to rise in the ranks and make it to specialized units like a detective in this case you really need to pput in the work and be recognized by your peers as being a hard worker. this takes a lot of commitment and dedication on your end and usually leads to problems at home.

>Is it just a trope or are they actually like that in real life
I knew a cop once and he moonlighted as a house painter, I guess that he wasn't getting enough hours or something. I knew firefighters like this too. He didn't look like a drunk at all but he was more in the science/investigation side so maybe it depends on what your role in the PD is.

My dad was a cop and an alcoholic

also if you work in a big city you see a bunch of fucked up shit throughout your career you become very jaded and bitter. and you dont want to be a lazy slap dick detective. it takes many hours and sacrifice to put scumbags away.

They're all inspired by other people that depicted this trope. The truth is, most cops and investigators are regular people that have regular lives. The 90's-tier grittiness is just a hollywood fabrication that is continuously reiterated by dumb fuck producers who all say "Well, this is how /I/ would do it if /I/ was in charge", as if anyone gives a singular fuck.

Consider it a circlejerk in an echo chamber, with the rest of us forced to watch

My father was Adrian Ker

who kers?

but what about the 80s-tier neon style

not to mention domestic abuse

A fabrication according to anonski

Kids that grew up watching it and want to give their "totally unique take" on the same bland formula. Just look at how "cyberpunk" somehow means "It has to look exactly like Blade Runner"

Hopefully never, it will be overly goofy, with different tropes that don't click, and seem like a bad mix of random genre shifts.

Because it’s likely true.

I’m a doctor now and can tell you that the sterotype of doctors being cynical burned out alcoholics with their family lives in shambles (or else megalomaniacs) is true as well. I was also in the military and can tell you you the stereotype of the service being full of 18 year old retards who play too many video games is true too. Also black people do crime and artists are gay. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

When you work 12+ hour days and can still be on call anytime, it's easy to turn to alcohol to help you unwind and sleep, this goes for all emergency services and also fields like oil and fracking work

Post time stamped stethoscope or GTFO

Small town crime can be just as bad, life isn't great in rural economically depressed areas.
t. west virginia pig

there's a lot less of it generally. less gang warfare, spree shootings, etc and more overdoses, domestics, etc

Tell that to these professionals

Attached: British-Police[1].png (640x480, 817K)

Cops that work crimes like vice or murders are fucked up. It comes with the work, considering the shit they encounter it's hard to stay normal.
Add to that that every unit has a tight tribe mentality and they often work long hours, drinking is inevitable.

This is all considering the guys that weren't fucked up in the first place for choosing that line of work.

I personally know that a lot of homicide and vice cops in my city who have diagnosed mental disorders. It's pretty common since most have been in war situations.

because it is a trope IRL

I have cops in my family. It's pretty fucking real. You go deal with niggers and assholes and the shittiest people in the shittiest part of town all day, and not hit the bottle hard.

The cops depicted in television and film are primarily detectives. The common variety uniformed cops that sit in their cars at speed traps are probably mostly just bored.

My dad went to rehab, and went to one that focused on professionals. It was mostly doctors. I remember going to a family day thing, and listening to a doctor talk about how he'd prescribed 17 different drugs for himself. Or the brain surgeon who couldn't operate without a couple of stiff drinks, because his hands shook too much without it.
Nurses are worse, too.

>The common variety uniformed cops that sit in their cars at speed traps are probably mostly just bored.
Close. Basically the job alternates between boredom and terror. One minute you're flling out a report for retards who can't drive in parking lots, and another you're doing 60 down residential streets after a guy who's wanted for armed robbery.

Addiction within the law enforcement community across America is a widespread and serious problem. One out of four police officers on the street has an alcohol or drug abuse issue, and substance use disorders among police officers are estimated to range between 20% and 30% (1,2) as compared to under 10% in the general population.

Now why Hollywood hack writers choose to put our protagonists inside those 20-30% range every fucking time, is because it gives their hackish written character relatability and supposed to have you feel empathy and make him feel more 'real', according to the uncreative hacks.

Attached: eh.png (88x98, 23K)

There was never a Mrs Columbo

astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore

Citation needed

>hardcore alcoholics with their family lives in shambles?
Try looking at your kids the same way after knowing what a shot-up corpse smells like

unironically based. American cops are mentally weak

Do dead people smell that different from dead anything else? I mean sure we're big but so are cows

maybe not the exaggerated extent as in media but irl cops are statistically more likely to be alcoholic and divorced
t. Police foundations college

I worked security at a major hospital in Los Angeles and the amount of meth heads and schizos we had to fight in a controlled environment was staggering. I thought I was showing up to an easy job to essentially Paul Blart and collect a pay check. My first day and call was to a tatted out fucking Viking, social services had just taken his kid and he wss beyond trying to calm down. I could not imagine being a cop and having to be the first person on scene with one of them by yourself on the street. My biggest fear was getting poked by an addicts dirty needle and I was nowhere hear being actual law enforcement. It turned me off completely to ever consider becoming one.

Ray is a special case he literally sold his soul to a crime boss.

No they don’t but it’s more disturbing. Hearing people scream and cry, and beg as they die, seeing young dead people, etc, it’s forces you to view all humans as objects and to distance yourselves from them emotionally so you can do your job. Hard to turn that off when you’re back around people you love.

A fresh corpse might smell like piss or shit or blood but usually smells like they did before they died. The smell of propellant overwhelms the corpse if they were shot at close range.
It's not even traumatic if it's a stranger.

should have went to condo security that was the chillest job i ever had

>you will never see a Blackadder adaptation of the watch with liam hemsworth as carrot

Attached: tears in rain.jpg (400x600, 30K)

lots marry young because they really like someone, want to have sex, and have traditional upbringings or communities where you marry to do those things

Also I don't know about police, but in the military they give you lots of financial incentives to marry

kek. Real cops are too busy to be alcoholics. All televsison cops are memes. Only reality tv shows like Cops accurate depict cops lives. There hasn't been an accurate cop show since Dragnet.

youtu.be/OhaZunwvW5o
drunk kino

Was a cop in my country for like 2 years.
Yeah, pretty much 80 % of them are divorced or at least in relationships that'll probably lead to nowhere. Hence the cheating etc...
And you're pretty much 24/24 with your coworkers

fucking jimmy

>A cop in South Central Los Angeles has the exact same job as a cop from a small town just outside of Portland, Maine

how fucking ignorant are you man

>My dad went to rehab, and went to one that focused on professionals.

Those guys sometimes have it the worst because they usually never reach a rock bottom where they're broke and homeless with no family.

I literally had to end up living in my car with zero dollars to my name before I started to quit drugs, I can only imagine if I were some yacht broker or doctor who could obtain absolutely infinite amounts of drugs.

real cops can’t afford to be proper alcoholics tv cops have fuck all paper work to do they’d be sacked within a week

Shouldn't even be a cop.
Just wait you grow old while losing /not achieving a family and friends. You'll know.

The best detective's only addiction is coffee

Attached: tumblr_ncopd3O3nW1t7hgato1_500.png (500x375, 244K)

They always tell a story about how a junkie microwaved a baby , thats in like 10 movies

How can I get a job like this? Unironically want to fight crazy guys for a living.

Be a prison guard.

Yeah, when stacy opens up her shrill fucking gabber to spew victimhood nonsense about how its sooo hard changing lil tyrones diaper and making a bottle of milk in between her soap operas and chadcop should be home more, and why didnt chadcop do something else, and when is chadcop gonna start pulling his weight around the house and is chadcop really protecting society from hellish negroid chimpouts or is he banging some hu-ah, day in and day out and day in and day out, i wonder why she gets to meet slapmaster x

Yeah not really. A cop working in Chicago is much diff than some small hick ass town cop. It’s like saying guys in the FDNY are the same as some volunteer guys in Kentucky. Not even close.

I like this post a whole lot

>women don't lie in court get more money and or custody of the kids
kek imagine being this naive.

happiness and sobriety aren't kino. smoking is degenerate but kino on screen. brutal violent murders is morally wrong but kino on screen done tastefully.

cops see shit like this, it wears thin

Attached: hollywood.png (1231x196, 36K)

faggot british cops let brown people fuck thousands of kids for fear of being called racist

Wasn't there a whole spin off about her?

Attached: 1369148513764.gif (317x240, 1023K)

Get to know some, lots of heavy drinking cops out there.

>when he backs up so he can try the turn again
>ends up fucking some slut bareback while bleeding all over her bed

Jimmy is one of the GOAT TV characters