Spirited Away is released for the first time in China alongside Toy Story 4

>Spirited Away is released for the first time in China alongside Toy Story 4
>it makes $28M on opening weekend, beating Toy Story by more than double
>after Disney deliberately killed its traditional animation department because CG is cheaper, an 18 year old traditional animation from Japan destroys its subsidiary's biggest franchise at the world's largest box office

THE MOUSE IS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Attached: spirited-away-toy-story-4-header.jpg (1400x700, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

globaltimes.cn/content/976744.shtml
sites.psu.edu/angelapassion/2016/07/02/spirited-away/
noderunner.net/~llin/old/mmltraffic/3March02.html
jpninfo.com/29501
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah, just forget about the fact that Spiderman, Frozen 2, and Star Wars are coming out this year. The Mouse cannot be stopped.

Ed Catmull get fucked
It's time to bring back the craft of 2D animation with apprenticeships and the whole 9 yards

It's not cheaper, or at least Disney is spending much more on it than they did on 2D.

I asked Ed Catmull about it at a university forum and he literally said it was just down to audiences preferring 3D movies

the problem is: their last big attempt at a 2D movie was a Winnie The Pooh movie that opened the same weekend as the final Harry Potter movie so it naturally flopped and they never made another. But you can't judge the success of something opening opposite the last fucking Harry Potter film.

Don't the chinamen hate Japs though?

This

Disney buying Studio Ghibli when?

Why should they, not like Ghibli is making capeshit

The big Ghibli fanboy Lasseter is gone though

they're competition though. disney cant have that

I've heard claims that some people at Disney wanted 2D gone, by any means necessary.

There can't be a competition at the Oscars.

No being prejudice drops your social credit score now

Yeah I mean it was a university forum with at least a thousand people, there's no way he was going to be completely honest.

To the best of my memory he said something to the effect of: "Look, nobody loves 2D animation more than me, but ultimately that's not what audiences are interested in anymore"

I really doubt that that's true that nobody would watch it. Maybe 2D animation is just thankless work and nobody wanted to keep doing it.

That was like 50 years ago or something, nowadays they don't care that much anymore except the old boomers and well the government people

The animators who lost their jobs said differently. Disney wanted to kill the department because it simply wasn't as financially viable as CG. It cost too much and took too long for movies to be made. CG is outsourced to warehouses filled with Chinese or Indians, making it faster and cheaper. The sacrifice is something that has no expression or soul that you can only achieve with hand drawn animation. But kids don't care about that shit, they just want something that resembles the toys their parents will be buying tomorrow.

2D animation is still popular and there definitely is an audience for it, shit like DBZ and other anime are at the peak of their popularity right about now.

Even if 3D really was cheaper, the budgets for those movies are still way, way higher than they were for 2D.

Spiderman belongs to sony

The fatigue is setting in.

Companies pull shit like that often. Say something is doing poorly -> deliberately make it garbage -> the thing does poorly -> cut it for doing poorly. Happens in online games too.

Exactly, and as good as the Winnie The Pooh movie looked (it looked good for what it was) there's no way their market analysts would have told them that Winnie The Pooh was the film audiences were dying to see. The opening day was probably deliberate too.

Chinese people hate Disney because their movies are ugly and heavy on continuity. No shit Toy Story 4 flopped in China because they haven't seen the first 3 movies.

Chinese are too proud to hate the Japanese for very long, because it would remind them of when they were irrelevant. They also don't really have a reason to hate the Japanese more than their own warlords, except for the Chinese living in places like Nanjing, but most of the people living there now moved in after the Japanese depopulated it. Most Chinese (at least mainland, I don't know about Taiwan) see Japanese like we see them, especially the younger generation. Former enemy, now good business partner. Only the Koreans have the kind of hate for the Japanese that will never die.

maybe because anime is a staple in asia

>I asked Ed Catmull
On the one hand he is so integral to the mechanics of CGI that he's legend.
On the other, he's directly responsible for the studio practices that prevented artists from jumping studios and should be federally prosecuted. Absolute cunt of a man and a born liar.

>28mil
Japanese hate Chinese and treat them like shit and Chinese know it btw.

I haven't seen the nu Toy Story but I'd be confident Spirited Away is a hundred times better.

>some people at Disney wanted 2D gone, by any means necessary.
You mean (((executives)))?

>spending 28M to watch a 20 years old movie

Japanese law protects it's companies from being bought out by foreigners so never.

>me so chinky-winky. no watch toy stoly, absorutery must watch gleat new anime ching chong ding dong
That’s how you think their minds work huh?

That’s completely incorrect

>spending 28 seconds of your life defending disney without being paid for it

koreans hate for the japanese is more about rivalry though in modern year

Why are you acting like everyone thinks in a hive mind? Do you realize how retarded you sound right now?

>ITT: Incels who have never stepped foot in Asia pretend they are authorities on Asian people

Cringe

soul v soulless

Oh yeah? Prove me wrong asshole.

How was Spirited Away just released there, didn't they make it like 20 years ago? Or is this just a weird Asian thing I don't understand?

Spirited Away is crap, only liked by incels, gamers and neckbeards

I've been to Asia
Have sex

I can’t prove a negative because no such law exists.

Their communist government took offense at the magic talking animals (which is an insult to the glory of human working men) and banned it.

It's the highest grossing movie in Japanese box office history. It was distributed by Disney in America and won an Oscar.

You’re completely retarded and know nothing about Japanese business.

globaltimes.cn/content/976744.shtml

There is precisely zero charm and soul in these nuPixar “films.” They deserve to fail.

Damn dude are you Chinese? You seem to know all Chinese people in China how are you so amazing wow! You know a billion people wow...

Disney already have complete rights over Ghibli in the West. Did you not notice how they’re marketed as Disney movies and dubbed by Disney actors in the West?

I will never forgive Disney for destroying their traditional animation department, it's disgusting considering they just had their animation renaissance less than a decade earlier.
Pixar's downfall is equally depressing.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x684, 63K)

>Chinese people think about ancient history when making day to day decisions because some random person who’s not even Chinese think so

They have the US film distribution rights to all their films

Disney hasn't distributed all Ghibli movies.

Because the only ones people give a shit about are the Miyazaki movies

Redpill me on his corrupt practices

Enligthen us then you fucking cunt.

You’re the one assuming anime will automatically do better in China because it’s “asian”

>Soulless chinks prefer an allegory about pedophiliac abuse than one about family

Imagine my shock

You realise that disney execs would probably wipe their asses with $24,000,000 if they could...

I looked into this a bit and Disney's rights over Ghibli movies expired in 2017 and most of them are now held by GKIDS.

>he thinks corporations can afford to lose billions of dollars regularly
Literal child

Spirited Away has nothing to do with "pedophiliac abuse."

>Studio Ghibli
>two main directors are staunchly against sequels. Have said in interviews “If you can’t tell a complete story with one movie then you’ve failed”

>Pixar
>Your head director got a private lesson from Miyazaki for winning an animation short film contest so you picked up some of their DNA
>for example: sympathetic villains (Miyazaki doesn’t believe in bad guys), attention to detail in character movement being an expression of that character, a flight/gliding/high altitude scene at the climax (every Pixar and Ghibli movie does this)
>but OH NO! You’ve been swallowed up by an AMERICAN mega corporation that will treat your creative properties like oil wells to pump every dollar possible from, pumping out merchandise and soulless derivative sequels that ruin your brand

Spirited Away is one of the greatest films of all time.
Toy Story 4 is a soulless cash in that appeals to SJW critics and the psychological disease of nostalgia.

China has no such affliction for this particular piece of corporate merchandise, so the true art wins.

Attached: pepe bling.jpg (1543x1360, 427K)

Disney owns the distribution rights Spirited Away too and they didn't have to pay to animate it, so they still made money.

>we want people to think this is a Your Name anime

Attached: 2B9EF2C3-4B5A-4738-BDE4-DCA023E700FD.jpg (380x300, 41K)

Spirited Away is one of the greatest films ever made in the animated medium. Toy Story 4 is... Not.

The Mouse needs to make better movies, then they will not be 'on suicide watch''

>Disney owns the distribution rights Spirited Away too
Not anymore, and why would they have ever owned the Chinese rights?

I've had sex in Asia. Have been

Oh my child, you've not gone deep enough into that rabbit hole yet

Implying Americans don't worship youth and are pedos

Eh...wasn't spirited away release in 2001?
Didn't all 1.4 billion of them already see it on their Huawei phones?

No, I've heard the smoothbrain internet theories by people who can't watch a movie like Spirited Away unless they can convince themselves it has some dark and edgy hidden message for real adults.

>Spirited away gets released world wide
>Beats Avatar while Endgame doesn’t

Senpai this is your Haku

Attached: C43AEB13-DDDB-4128-B401-25BCCD1F8C86.jpg (1300x741, 82K)

Nice try, Albert Chen. The Chinese in China hate Japan. Practically 30% of Chinese TV programming are fictionalized dramas of the Second Sino-Japanese War in which heroic chinks defeat the evil Japanese invaders.

t. Hasn’t watched either film

>soul filled classic beats tech demo
huh

>oh my child
reddit af

Yeah dude! Have you heard about how Ed Edd n Eddy are in purgatory and Ash is actually in a coma the whole time? Crazy stuff bro! XD

sites.psu.edu/angelapassion/2016/07/02/spirited-away/
noderunner.net/~llin/old/mmltraffic/3March02.html

Myazaki himself was a pedo and the movie is an allegory about child prostitution

No, it isn't. See

Damn, I'm never seeing this movie as innocent again

No, it’s an allegory for the Japanese economy before the Nikkei crashed in the early 90s. As for why the main character is a pre teen girl, Miyazaki said he wanted to make a movie for his grand daughter and her friends after seeing them as spoiled and lazy for having been raised in economically prosperous times. Chihiro doesn’t appreciate how nice her life is until everything she has is taken away and she has to work to survive. How is it about the economy?
>The location is an abandoned amusement park. Chihiro’s father remarks that places like these sprang up all over the country in the 80s and when the economy crashed everyone just left them.
>The bathhouse itself is a microcosm of Japan. Chihiro, suddenly on her own, is told by Komaji the boiler room man that if she wants to survive she needs a job from Yubaba.
>No face produces a seemingly endless supply of gold nuggets to the delight of the bathhouse staff only for its value to vanish once they realize it was simply dirt magicked to look like gold. The sudden turn in No Face’s character as he rampages through the bathhouse is meant to be the market crashing

>staunchly against sequels
>what is The Cat Returns

>what is the Cat Returns
A spiritual successor from a different director. Not a direct sequel. None of the same characters besides the cat and that is playing very fast and loose suggesting they are the same character

I wouldn't trust that for too long
The Mouse cares little for national laws

>artsy boring movie beats mamby pamby boring movie in ching chong land
fascinating

If they actually thought Ghibli was a threat to them and they were able to buy them, they already would have. Ghibli stopped making movies after Miyazaki retired, and they're now only making a new one because he un-retired himself. Once he's gone, Ghibli is gone.

Damn, what kind of sick bastard would make a movie about child prostitution?
jpninfo.com/29501

It's literally a spin off focussing on a supporting character. A spiritual successor is a film that's similar in tone, plot, or atmosphere. Caprica isn't a spiritual successor to BSG

Are you the same kind of smoothbrain who has to justify watching American animation by saying shit like "really dark for a children's animation"?

And a sequel is a direct continuation of a previous storyline. You wanna talk semantics then get your shit straight

Is there a specific name for the type of outdoor restaurant the parents were eating at during the beginning of the movie? When I vacation to japan I want to visit a place like that.

yes
Search up the Raping of Nanjing

They basically blackballed any animators who tried to leave Pixar.

Attached: 1557327812083.jpg (1534x1896, 710K)

>it was just down to audiences preferring 3D movies
>ultimately that's not what audiences are interested in anymore"

Given how Hollywood is making a move towards animefying a lot of their productions, it'll certainly influence the Chinese into looking at more animes again.

What's your point? It was 4 years ago, I'm paraphrasing.

This Ed fellow sounds like a massive retard if a company known for diversity should place all their eggs into one basket instead of keeping what they have to offer diverse as such. Oh right this is the same company that turned all the Aliens in star wars poopy browns.

Yatai

Attached: 1280px-Yomise(Yatai).jpg (1280x960, 253K)

Well that's why I asked him the question. The question I asked specifically was "What is the future for 2D animation at Disney?" and he gave that politician type answer.
Like I said he starts with "Nobody loves 2D animation more than me" and it's like ok... well you're the only person in the world who can make a call of whether to make 2D movies at Disney again. So that statement is clearly untrue.

He sounds like the sort of guy that wouldn't be able to walk away from a barfight.

Thanks user