/Dune/ general

Only Harkonnens won't post in this topic.

Who is ready for the greatest movie ever to be made?

Attached: Dune.jpg (1280x613, 118K)

A whole board of Harkonnens, nuke this fucking place already

Only started reading the book recently. Which is the best in the series?

I watched this movie when I was a kid, a fucking nightmare. What kind of tortured soul write this kind of shit ?

Bless the moderator and his jannies
Bless the banning and unbanning of him

I've only read the first book and taking a break before I move on to Dune Messiah.

I haven't seen the original movie but I heard it is Dune in name only.

>Dune messiah
Get ready for quite the slog. I was so ready to love at least the first four books, but this thing was devastatingly boring. I couldn't finish it.

1-3 are a great trilogy, enjoyed them very much. 4 was kind of out there and weird, pretty good but didn’t inspire me to read 5 and 6. anything by brian herbert can be ignored

Did you read them one after the other or take a break? I'm just wondering if it was burnout that affected your opinion or if it really is a slog as you say.

>I haven't seen the original movie but I heard it is Dune in name only.
Guess what I decided to never read the books after watching it.

The book was great so the movie must have been a huge piece of shit. I know Sting was in it for some reason so that alone tells me it's shit. Hopefully the new movie is great.

I tried to read messiah right after dune. Maybe I'll give it another try. I really want to read through God emperor at least

The casting is 11/10, and it looks like it will have the budget it needs. I just hope it can connect with normies so that we get the second film. At least, I think the first book is being split into two films.

Dune is the best. I couldn't even finish the sequels. The second book was mind numbing. Book three was so painful I straight up dropped it, which I almost never do.

the biggest redpill about Dune is that only the first one is a good book.
ive read all of em, literaly all including the AWFULL prequals and sequals.
For all that i love the series, only the first book is a genuinly good book.
Childrens of Dune bareley has any plot and is basically only about Leto spewing the authors philosophy.
God Emperor does a huge time skip and focuses on Duncan who for some reason has become the series protagonist now realizing that Leto is a shithead who goes JUST AS PLANNED.
Its cool but its not neccesarily and interresting read if youre in it for the story.

Also Fish speakers are ridiculous and Herbert obviously had a Femdom fetish

Godspeed user, we can get through it and praise or destroy it together.

Is there a reason why there aren't any male regular-tier Bene Gesserits? I've just read "Dune" and it seems that BGs are just female Mentats with mind control powers. Men can still take the spice to see into the future and male Mentats have the same bodily control that BGs do. I know the Kwisatch Haderatch is supposed to be able to see both male and female ancestral memories, but surely the BGs would want at least one male BG to see purely the male side before Paul came around?

>there will never be a God Emperor of Dune film

why even wake up

Attached: IMG_0015.png (295x296, 82K)

first is definitely the best but after that it's pretty divided personally i like messiah what other franchise suddenly jumps forward 1000 years to actually see the consequences of the previous main characters actions but some people hate that one the most

Fish speakers were a great idea. The prevent any real warfare all the army is made up of women who will fuck the populace into submission. The god-emperor was truly setting out the golden path.

Control of this thread is rightful harkonnen domain!

I'm no expert but isn't it because the BG tried to bio-engineer the perfect being and Lady Jessica fucked their lineage up by giving birth to Paul instead of the female she was supposed to give them?

didn't mean messiah meant emperor it's been a long time since i've read them

I think one of the books mentioned a few failed attempts before hand. Maybe it's all or nothing with a Kwisatch Haderatch.

But user, we can’t violate the Great Convention

Boo this Baron! Boo!

>I just hope it can connect with normies
Giant worms, bizarro fluids and K Dick tier plot, yeah sure dude.

user, you don't understand. I was just nuking this rock that you happened to be standing beside to change the landscape, there was no attack on your person.

Your mum loves worm-riding, she will go see it.

People often answer God Emperor. But I can't decide if it's all for the memes. It was... different.
I think Messiah was the best one.

it doesnt work.
Genetic memory in dune only works on women and the kwisatz haderach
The normal mentats can see into the future, kind of, but not into the past.

Also frank herbert had a massive femdom fetish
Good, it would be awfull
i hate children and the prequals the most, Messiah kind of is at least a story.
Childrens is just philosophy lessons from someone who doesnt know philosophy very well and god king is a time skip so big that you dont give a shit and also the only two relevant characters are characters from before the time skip.
So yeah Messiah is kind of one of the better ones.
And all of that doesnt even touch on chapterhouse and all the honored matres insanity that comes later.
The idea that female soldiers dont commit atrocities is a bit on the nose dont you think?
im telling you, femdom fetish.
But the only two relevant characters in Emperor were Duncan and Leto, and maybe Hwi, but she was literaly a genetically engineered mary sue.
I cant even remember a single other character in that book

My sole experience with Dune was the DOS game (the original, not the RTS), and can't wait for this. I have disagreements regarding the casting, but I have no "moral" highground to criticize it since I haven't read the books. I trust the director will do a good job, if any or all of his previous films are an indication.

My stillsuit is prepared. In the Fremen way.

I hope it is. The first book *needs* two films.

Fuck me. Switched Messiah and Children. Children was the best one.

I'm ready to sleep all day and party all night!

the original is great heathens, just some problems with the production adding the voice overs and the voice weapons
heres a hint, the new movie wont have better actors, scenography or music

are you literaly insane

>what other franchise jumps forward 1000 years
3001: The final Odyssey jumped 940 years from 2061: Odyssey 3

It is, the first half of the first book is being released and if it does well then we get the second half and hopefully a new franchise.

And there's a tv show about the BG coming too I think.

lmao

yeah i've seen this is where theres a big divide i just personally liked duncan as a protagonist
found him more interesting than a typical hero who you know will win instead he was just a little pawn and had been used as a pawn for generations
agree with you on the whole though every one passed the first book is pretty meh when you try to remember them

>The idea that female soldiers dont commit atrocities is a bit on the nose dont you think?
The Fish Speakers are as capable of committing atrocities as much as any other. But the key point is that they only do so if Leto commands. They wont get bored and turn on the populace/him as easily because of a motherly mentality.

What if they just do what Peter Jackson did and have a 4hr extended cut? I've thought about that a bit and would be so happy if they went that route.

Post rare Chanis for the collection

if you are this guy
I don't agree with your criticism of Children. There's the crazy sister plot, the Bene Gesserit plot, the Duncan plot, there's the Prophet plot and then there's 9d chess by Leto

i dont hate Duncan as a protagonist but it feels forced. Its been who knows how many gorillion years and he keeps cloning the same guy because of his weird relationship with him.

And duncans atribute of his "goodness" and impossibility of betraying the atriedes (unless when he can)
Anyway, Herbert got some weird ideas about imprinting in general
yeah i guess thats just built on the assumption that women generaly feel motherly feelings towards strangers they point rifles at.
i think thats a bit optimistic

Fact God-Emperor is the best book with the most interesting ideas

Attached: leto_atreides_ii__god_emperor_of_dune_by_gorrem-d7bfwcm.jpg (550x724, 102K)

Attached: chani.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

oh shit okay fair play i only read the first two didn't reallty like 2010 but those books are less focused on the actions of main characters from the previous books which i what i was on about
remembered while typing this that the foundation series jumps thousands and thousands of years while still focusing on seldons plan though so i guess im chatting shit

>117156890
well isnt the crazy sister / baron harkonnen plot in Messiah rather than children? I could be wrong there.

>yeah i guess thats just built on the assumption that women generaly feel motherly feelings towards strangers they point rifles at.
No. You completely misunderstand. The point is they feel motherly towards the people they arent pointing rifles at and are told they are protecting.

She's not Elfin.

>I think Messiah was the best one.

Attached: 1234566858.jpg (480x360, 15K)

1, then 3.
People who say 2-3 are boring are plebians how dont actually like dune for anything but the action

I don't really like Zendaya very much. The only casting choice that struck me. Isn't she like a disney channel girl or something? Maybe I'll be presently surprised when I actually see her on screen.

Don't recall if it was started in Messiah, but it definitely isn't concluded until Children.

Dune 2000 was the best Dune related game.

I know House Ordos is never mentioned in the literature but I would like to see something related to House Ordos in Villeneuve film. Just their coat of arms, or a name drop somewhere. Would be fun.

Attached: HouseOrdos.jpg (1280x720, 86K)

Its entirely in Children after Alia becomes Regent and the stress makes her snap

I think rereading your criticism, you might be confusing Children with God Emperor.

Yes I already admitted that smileyface

nah im not, but children was basically when most of messiahs plot was kind of irrelevant and Leto sat on some rock in the desert and talked philosophy while also contemplating sweet sweet incest.

maybe i remember it worse than it was but somehow i didnt like it a lot back when i read it

My plan is
1. Read the book "Dune"
2. Watch Dune
3. Watch the documentary about Jodorowsky wanting to fuck it all up

What? No, it literally wasn't. Well yeah, I think he did also contemplate incest. But Children is actually the book where Leto undergoes his journey towards the Golden Path.
Please, stop arguing this and go read up on the plot.

Why are they called "Fish Speakers"?

The name kinda smells...

Attached: 1470173698647.jpg (900x675, 92K)

truly the pleb filter of the series

Okay Yea Forums, cast Feyd-Rautha

Jaden Smith

Attached: sting.jpg (800x1203, 172K)

eddie redmayne

Why was he cast when Feyd was meant to be a well-built muscular motherfucker?

Timothee Chalamet is insanely hot.

Why didn't they cast her as Lady Jessica? I want to see her in a stillsuit.

Attached: Christina-Hendricks-Hairstyle.jpg (1381x1796, 367K)

Finally some love for Ordos

Forgot to add that my copy of messiah has a wall of text from Brian herbert in full damage control mode trying to rebut some article from the 70s about how bad it was and trying to say that the article was satire fucking kek.

I'd still prefer a two-parter. If you allow the world to really breathe, you'll intrigue people and get them invested in the characters. That way, when House Atreides falls, they'll be looking for cathartic payback in the sequel as well as the fully realized Kwisatz Haderach. I want fucking Laurence of Arabia in space and I think this is the surest way to get it.

I like the Ordos but they didn't really seem like a House. Their speaker was some sort of living machine and their soldiers all supposed to be smugglers and pirates.

So far, this is the only casting that is less than great.

Harry Styles is rumored and honestly it's a pretty fucking based casting choice if true.
He played a true cunt great in Dunkirk.

Feyd was a fuccboi twink that drugged his gladiator opponents for his own safety. He was good with a knife, but his treacharous inclinations his weapons and why the baron homolusted for him, that and his boyish complexion

Yeah I sure wish I could fork out more money to our Hollywood overlords too.

Fuck you

We've already checked the diversity casting with zendaya. Try again.

Is this guy even still alive? Kek I thought he died of aids last year.

Too twink.

This would be a good choice.

Enjoy your cam-rips, fag

Dune is the best

Dune-through-Messiah (2 books) is still high art, but not as good as Dune by itself

Dune-through-Children, while not art, is still art, and a perfectly serviceable trilogy

God Emperor of Dune taken by itself is still not high art, but closer to high art than children... HOWEVER, what it does in terms of world-building, and adding unnecessary exposition to the point where The Golden Path goes from being something mystical, unknowable, and wonderful, like The Force to being fucking another over-explained midichlorians.

Dune-through-Chapterhouse is... schlock, but it's entertaining schlock, easily on par with Conan or Barsoom

Everything written by his son is schlock... but not fun schlock... bad schlock... really really bad schlock.

imagine being this dense
imagine not picking up the king lear references and being engrossed by its literary merit
imagine not getting to the stone burner because your brainlet mind got bored

>what other franchise suddenly jumps forward 1000 years to actually see the consequences of the previous main characters actions but some people hate that one the most
Asimov's Foundation. Multiple times. Sometimes within the same book.

Attached: Hari_Seldon.jpg (600x748, 108K)

what other novels you want to see get an adaption?

Attached: 1448519673379.jpg (1500x1137, 532K)

post it

Attached: sunekku.png (500x281, 243K)

make it into a series

Attached: 1500435229029.jpg (3000x1654, 1020K)

God-Emperor, easily.

I really hope we get a solid adaption out of this but only a really good visionary behind it maybe like Jonathan Nolan

Attached: 1502064863183.jpg (1920x1080, 819K)

Is this Hyperion?

>Hyperion

plz no, plz leave it alone, some stories are best in text form and no film/series could do them justice, only dilute and stupidify.

Foundation just plain wouldn't work as a movie. It COULD, however, work as a TV miniseries.

Personally, I would LOVE to see Steve Buscemi play The Mule.

Attached: Patterson-MiracleWorkers.jpg (727x485, 65K)