Were the Schumaker films really that bad...

Were the Schumaker films really that bad? He was going for the campy feel of the 66 Batman series and I think he did a spectacular job.
Also Batman and Robin is better than Forever because it features Arnold and has Bane.

Thoughts?

Attached: 1544014854878.jpg (637x475, 150K)

Better than any post Nolan capeshit for sure. At least they were not CGI shitfest.

Batman and Robin is my favourite capeshit. I don't see how people can watch The Dark Knight & co without cringing. No matter how gritty they try to make it it's always gonna be about a man in a bat costume fighting crime.

no they werent, just misunderstood
they are the quintessential 90s schlock, todays capeshit is the same except it takes itself too seriously

I liked those films as a kid so they fulfilled their purpose.

Peak contrarians

>Were the Schumaker films really that bad?
Yes

No

This.

If you've ever read a Batman comic in your life you'd know that Kilmer was the best Wayne/Batman so far. Where Burton nailed the atmosphere of Gotham as a city, Shumaker nailed the characters in their comic form.

watch them again
you'll have A LOT more fun than batman v superman

They were pretty terrible:
>Riddler is the Joker
>Two Face is the Joker
>Robin doing extreme laundry
>a bullet grazing Bruce's head gives him amensia
>AMNESIA
>the most boring rendition of Bruce's backstory
>the whole scene where Robin steals the batmobile to fight the dayglow gang
>Riddler's box scheme makes no sense at all
>the worst puns
>Batman & Robin's bloated story with like five different subplots from Barbra's street racing, Alfred's illness, Batman and Robin bickering
>it doesn't even make sense that Poison Ivy, who breeds tropical plants, would work with a guy who wants to freeze the planet
>they threw out Elfman's score and recycled music from Demolition Man
>"Bruce it's me, Barbra."
>"Boys... always doing things the hard way."

sounds like kino to me

It's not any worse than MCU shit. If
>"I want a car. Chicks dig the car."
>"This is why superman works alone"
was in an MCU movie and instead of Batman and Robin sharing the exchange it was Iron Man and Spider-Man, it would have a million shitty quality twitter gifs and a million reshares on Facebook.
At least Schumacker had a distinct aesthetic vision. "Super gay Art Deco" is better than anything in the MCU, and its a unique version of Gotham if nothing else.

Sounds fucking awesome . Wtf is wrong with you

Batman Forever was pretty fun, but the other got a bit shit as things looked a bit TOO cheesy and the villains actors were too much like themselves. There was no story in them unlike with The Riddler who allowed for sone pretty cool visuals.

Stop been contrainian guys, they were bad.

JS used the 'campiness' as an excuse for lazy editing and terrible plots.
look at the scene where poison ivy tries to drown robin, It is clearly the same shot played and reversed over again as if it was a you-tube poop.

not to mention that Uma Thurman is absolutely terrible as poison Ivy, shes not even fun bad like Arnold Schwarzenegger shes just tedious to get though.

If you want a campy batman (and I do think there is room for bat-camp) look at batman the brave and the bold,

even comparing it to the 60s show which was much better written, batman actually acts as a detective and more often then not outsmarts his enemys through, bullshit, but creative none the less means. And the villains had entertaining and creative motives none of this 'first gotham, then the world' bullshit.

the villains don't play off each other very well either, riddler and two-face just come off as two jokers trying to out joker each other.

with that been said however they are very entertaining and I would rather watch them the n the DCCU films.
The are very colourful and visually interesting, i did like the neon colours like side of gotham city we haven't seen before.

Batman Forever needs acclaim for giving us both Kiss from a Rose and Hold me Thrill me Kill me.

Your allowed to like them, but they are bad films.

All superhero movies are bad films, bar a few exceptions. I'd rather watch one that's fun

Prefer them to Nolan. Superhero films have to be camp or wacky for me

If BF and B&R came out now, it'd convert MCU fans to DC Fans

Shumaker made it too GAY

It's like The Last Jedi. You can't really directly blame Rian Johnson for doing a Rian Johnson film. It's what they hired him to do.

WB would never let Burton continue to direct after attaching a sex crazed thalidomide mutant and s&m cat bitch to happy meals.

Surprisingly, no, they're pretty solid, in retrospect. I hated them as a kid because they were different from muh Burton Bats. I was annoyed they didn't have the same tone and dark gothic aesthetic. I couldn't have articulated that back when I was 12, but that's what it was. They just felt different and I didn't like that.

Going back and rewatching them as an adult, they're both fun as hell, every time, and the level of absurdity and irreverence to the source material is almost refreshing compared to the stuffy MCU formula that has been rammed down our throats for the past decade. Watching these movies with a critical eye, it's incredibly apparent that every single bit of camp, cringe, and eye-roll-inducing chicanery was 100% intentional.

In my opinion, the weakest part of these movies is some of the casting. Kilmer is pretty weak as Bruce, and Chris O'Donnell is about 1/32nd as charasmatic as he thinks he is. The villains are all great at what they're doing, even if what they're doing isn't "accurate".

The thing about those quips, though, is that they're delivered almost as asides, whereas MCU quips are so belabored you feel like you should have thrown a shower. Schumaker's quips were throwaways, little gags to laugh at if you get them, or move on if you don't. MCUs are almost always led up to with some level of contrivance and then cordoned off by an open beat or two so the audience can make their requisite "lol, see, I get that because I'm a nerd" chuckle.

The two jokes you mentioned are some of the worst examples you could have picked, because they happen quickly and don't break the flow. They just sound like things people might say in a fast-paced conversation. A better example of a groanworthy, MCU-tier quip in Schumaker's movies would have been the "I'll get drive thru" line, although honestly, the Nolan films are more guilty of that level of crap. Seriously, just about any scene with Bats and Gordon is painful.

A BAT CREDIT CARD?!

Attached: batcreditcard.png (591x426, 178K)

No they were fine, though the B&R batmobile sucked

>You can't really directly blame Rian Johnson for doing a Rian Johnson film.
You can absolutely blame him for being a retard though.

I love both of them, B&R is a great comedy and Forever is a solid superhero movie.

>All superhero movies are bad films, bar a few exceptions. I'd rather watch one that's fun

most superhero movies are fun jackass.

most superhero movies made pre 2004 were fun. post 2004 its propaganda overtime

Batman & Robin and even Batman Forever were thinly veiled homosexual fantasies. If you really liked those Batman films so well, you need to reevaluate your sexual preferences.

Attached: bane schumacher 73621827.jpg (492x600, 38K)

>not realizing the Schmuacher films were just gay propaganda

Attached: George Clooney Batman Arnold Mr Freeze 41.jpg (594x386, 48K)

Oh yeah, no doubt. Even moreso for his twitter freak outs. Thinner skin that Kevin Smith.

Why? I'm bisexual.

Attached: GothCard.jpg (1920x1072, 230K)

Seriously what is up with him and Twitter?

Okay. Good. I'm fine with people liking this movie as a gay fantasy. I just scratch my head for people who think it's anything but. That's the only thing it excels at. It's a horrible Batman movie, unless you're looking for a film that turns Batman into a neon gay fantasy.

Yes. It was funny and completely in line with the tone of the film. Nostalgia critic is the biggest fucking pleb of all time.

I remember reading in a Disney Adventures magazine that Batman's costume weighed like 40 lbs, and Freeze's was close to 75. That shit had to get tiresome after shooting all day.

>Batman can be serious and gritty
>Batman can be camp
>Batman can be a detective drama
>Batman can be zany superhero nonsense
>BUT NOT A NEON GAY FANTASY
At this point, I'm willing to let any writer turn Batman into anything. It's a versatile enough concept and I've seen it done well enough in almost every direction.

> He was going for the campy feel of the 66 Batman series
I don't really feel it. The dark imagery and music is at odds with the light hearted parts. None of that 60's Batman charm here. That said I do enjoy the movies, not at all in the same way or near as much as I enjoy 60's Batman though.
>Batman and Robin is better than Forever
Agreed but not really for those reasons. Arnie is hardly at his best here. I liked Bane as a big dumb goon.

Batman Forever has the best plot of any superhero movie.

Yes. Batman can be a filthy whore that will do anything for money.
Sure. Why have any morals and consistency when you can just whore things out for money.

But I'm not liking it *because* it's a gay fantasy, I like them either way. I don't see how the gay fantasy aspect is a bad thing if the movies are entertaining, which they totally are.

Batman was accused by a crazy conservative psychologist in the 50s of corrupting kids and turning them gay. Batman fans have ever since tried to argue against this loony's accusation.

Schumacher comes along and decides to prove him right.

Can you see why Batman fans would be upset with Schumacher turning Batman into a neon gay fantasy?

Never mind the Hollywood elitism and politics of turning a kids character into a gay man fantasy. Plus you even have elements of man-boy love which is where it starts to get questionable.

Those movies should have never been made, but a bunch of rich gay producers and directors decided to turn a kids movie into a big gay blockbuster and expected no one to notice.

I actually agree with you on the quipping, I just pointed it out because its one of the quips people usually point out as "groan-inducing". I think that quip is fine and like you said most of it is just fast-paced conversation whereas the MCU really does stop for basically a rimshot after their quips.
Good post user.

But my favorite part was Uma Thurman's ass

facts. fucking chattel retards are too afraid to even acknowledge it for uma therman's ass is so perfect

OLD THING GOOD
NEW THING BAD

Attached: INk.gif (320x240, 1.63M)

>tropical plant woman works with ice guy
Ice to seed you

>it doesn't even make sense that Poison Ivy, who breeds tropical plants, would work with a guy who wants to freeze the planet

Wasn't she really using him? She would have betrayed him at some point

Imagine taking capeshit this seriously.

Nope cheesy

Imagine thinking that you can sell out your ideals and the characters you want your kids to grow up with.

Schumacher was just working with hand me down designs from Burton. He just gayed it up a bunch.

Attached: Joel-Schumacher-Batman-and-Robin-1997-Gotham-City.jpg (658x370, 184K)

Batman & Robin was my favorite movie as a child. I had the left poster in the OP in my room growing up.

No they weren't. I legitimately believe you can use the films as a scale to see how autistic somebody is. (If they think they're the worst films ever made for example they measure quite high on the autistic scale).

That's not very hard.

Again, I don't see how the gay thing might be a problem if the movies are entertaining. Any moron can put any political spin on anything with enough effort, it doesn't mean you have to care.

Imagine wanting your kids to grow up with the ideals of fictional characters made for money.