Rogue One

What did you think of it?

I have not watched yet the new trilogy (and don't have any expectations for it), but this movie surprised me.
Almost complete absence of the usually-focused upon Jedi/Sith was a major point for me, proving much needed shift of attention from magic-wielding supermen to simply warfare; very unusual for a Disney IP and Star Wars.
Speaking of the series' title, Star Wars, another point that I very much liked was an actual capital ship battle, in which the capital ships themselves are important and not some certain jedi pilot, allowing for more immersion, which is lacking in this regard in main series.

What did you think of this movie? I thought it was very good - THE Star Wars movie about Star Warfare.

Attached: Star Destroyer being attacked by U-wing bombers.png (1280x537, 802K)

The Hammerhead scene was aight.

>THE Star Wars movie about Star Warfare.

Eh. It was ok. Not very gritty, though.

It contradicts the events portrayes in the Radio drama adaptation of A New Hope, so its position in canon continuity is dubious.

Suffers from an overabundance of human characters. Like all Nu-Wars movies.

Its the best of the newer Star Wars movies. The bar wasnt high though

best Nu Wars film to date. Not a hard feat though. First act is shoddy in pacing but third act is very much worth it

I don't think true grit is ever possible with disney, who are money-makers first and foremost, and artists in a... can't say second, not third either, but out there.
Rogue One feels much more of an art than other other disney wars, which is surprising for me that they allowed it.

Didn't care for the forced rivalry between Krenic and Tarkin. The latter should have been the patron of the former. There was no need for them to compete for power; and having them instead be comrades who trust each other would have leant greater significance to Tarkin's decision to blast Krenic along with the base.

If there had to be a power struggle, Tarkin should have been opposed by the Imperial Navy.

Ended up watching the whole thing in 780p because of Netflix. The added grainy-ness from the lower resolution actually complimented the style and set design of the film pretty well. Liked that the writers weren't afraid of killing off characters in shit situations instead of just writing them out of it, but they failed in making any of the characters actually worth caring about. Will say the main chick's emotional break down in response to that message is the most genuine human emotion that's been in a Star Wars movie since the OT.

Yeah, the movie defiantly finishes much stronger then it started.

I keep forgetting to watch it, I heard it was pretty good.

Attached: 1541563610422.jpg (645x1000, 107K)

My favorite. It surprised me because I expected it would be shit.

Rogue one is the best of the new SW movies, hands down.
Like you said, minimal Jedi Sith bs, space battles were right, unconventional plot, and a slightly more gritty vibe, less quippy kid oriented tone

Just watch this, and shut up.

Attached: Muppet1Cover.jpg (946x558, 575K)

Most of it was pretty fucking great. It's the best-looking SW film evar, and the attention to detail was spot on. The only drawbacks for me were the stupid head-butt ships, and the sight of Vader brawling with rebel grunts.
>inb4 the Vader fight was kino
No it wasn't, it was literal capeshit. Sith Lords don't sully themselves by fighting with nobodies.

They jumped way too close around a planet. Its fanfiction at best.

>fanfiction at best.
Well, then it is better than the core material considering the events in TLJ.

Just wait for The Mandalorian

first half was boring and pointless

>They jumped way too close around a planet
lolwut?

Yeah, who needs plots and character development? Just gib muh epic space battles plz.

Attached: millennials.jpg (235x215, 13K)

Hyperspace travel in Star Wars is heavily affected by gravity. The greater the gravitational field, the beefier the hyperdrive needs to be to escape it (or pass through it).

Shouldve just been jyn, captain, and maybe the pilot. Too many forgettable/pointless characters. But otherwise fine, best nuwars to date

I mean, them's just the facts. The events of the radio drama sync perfectly with the start of Episode IV. Those of Rogue One, not so much.

The radio drama was produced in collaboration between Lucasfilm and NPR, used Lucas's script and do not contradict the film continuity at all. Rogue One is fanfiction by comparison. We can still discuss it and enjoy elements of it, but let's be honest about what it is.

The fuck you smoking, he needed to get the plans, Vader most certainly would mow through rebels for that shit

Attached: 82D6845B-1132-4815-B2A6-39F101C65BCF.gif (300x300, 1.99M)

>forgettable characters.
>the black guy part of the story was all for nothing.
>disney's signature war movie but not a drop of blood.

the rest was ok i guess. oh and that "stardust never change" was cringe

what development it's literally just travel around and gather a crew. it's not even important that her dad was the architect it's not like he would have just decided not to hand the plans over

>90 min of useless exposition leading up to a 20 min vidya cutscene fight
>zero chemistry between any members of the ragtag suicide squad group.
>Quipbot5000
>Only memorable scene is a 60?second Darth Vader cameo that retcons the opening scene of A New Hope, and turns into a scene that now makes no sense.

No thanks.

Too many characters. Needed less rebel shit and more empire scenes.

Only NuMouse is focused on profits. You can track the decline in quality and focus on money simply by looking at their release history.

2008 was the last time they tried anything artistic with Wall E. They shut down the animation department in 2002 after Treasure planet. Nothing but mediocre by the numbers production line flicks since the late 90s

>Vader most certainly would mow through rebels for that shit
No, he would order his minions to mow through them for him.
Have you even seen the first-ever scene of the first-ever Star Wars film?

Those aren't U-Wings, dumbfuck

The only reason he wasn’t forcing the fuck out of everybody was because the technology wasn’t there. Would have looked like shit in the 70s. I mean the obi wan Vader fight was pretty horrific

It's the least aggravating of nu-Wars.

I liked how the rebel leader played by a white male was so incompetent and emotional that he sabotaged his own team and nearly ensured the Imperial's success.

I also liked how the white male rebel soldiers screamed in terror and were brutally murdered at the end, as they begged for help.

Then OF COURSE I love how Jynn single handedly defeated a squad of storm troopers by whacking them in the head with a stick. I used to complain that ewoks using arrows and spears against armored soldiers was stupid, but then a strong independent woman proved me wrong! I'm not ashamed to admit I'm capable of being wrong, as a fellow white male you should also admit this!

My only concern is how problematic the relationship between Jynn and her father was. So... her father is supposed to be some kind of genius who loves her? Um... couldn't her mother have played the same role without those patriarchal undertones spoiling the experience?

Overall, 8/10, but in a few years our society will have progressed so much in terms of social justice that the casting of a white woman and a Hispanic-white man will be seen as barbaric Nazism, so let's pro-rate that atta 0/10 for Hitlerianishness.

>What did you think of it?
The most boring movie of the 2010's.

>I love how Jynn single handedly defeated a squad of storm troopers by whacking them in the head with a stick.

Haha, yeah, I liked that part too. I clapped when Captain Casian saw that Jyn was in trouble and was about to try to save her, but then Jyn saves herself. Surprise! And then Cassian had a shocked and confused expression. He was all like "damn, that girl can fight?!"

Haha. That was a great scene. It was almost as good as that scene in The Force Awakens when Rey gets attacked by those goons, but she defeats them by whacking them in the head with a stick. Haha, I loved that scene too.

Finn saw that Rey was in trouble and was about to try to save her, but then Rey saves herself. Surprise! And then Finn had a shocked and confused expression. He was all like "damn, that girl can fight?!"

Despite its flaws, its a very enjoyable movie. Vader scene was absolute kino, and Im not even a Star Wars fan.

Agreed. Rogue One is complete and utter shit. The film lacks any semblance of personality or creativity.
And it also looks ugly as shit outside of the space battles. Dour, gray and flat looking cinematography. Digital was a mistake.

>Vader scene was absolute kino! Why no, I'm not a Star Wars fan, how could you tell?

>Eh. It was ok. Not very gritty, though.

> everyone dies at the end

what do you want? droids torturing princesses?

A sad ending doesn't suddenly make the entire film that preceded it gritty.

That Tie Fighter anime on YouTube is the greatest Star Wars thing in ages. The comments are funny because it's people saying "the empire is bad, but they look cool" then people basically calling them Nazis. Remember when everyone wanted to be in the empire and the the rebels were gay?
I hate nuwar fans.

Attached: Capture+_2019-06-12-15-53-49.png (926x737, 738K)

based opinion

It's shit. I prefer storytelling over nothing but flashy visuals.
There hasn't been great Star Wars content since KOTOR 2.

>George totally agreed with my headcanon back in 1977
Wow, you sure are a fucking genius.

terrible
this and the opening and some of the forest whitaker scenes were the only things that didnt completely suck

>decade dominated by capeshit
It wasn't even close to being the most boring movie of the 2010's.

Kek.

Third best Star Wars movie after III and V.

It's made by one autistic fan and it's based on a game from an era when the Star Wars franchise was more catered towards autistic fans (mid-90's). It's quality comes from the attention to detail that modern movies and games simply don't bother with.

Very mediocre. last battle was pretty great though

Darth Vader scene.

Vader scenes were kino. Makes me want a star wars movie made of like four 30 minutes short movies that happen in various set ups within the star wars universe and in each of them Vader shows up and brings the banter and the action

I'll add that Rogue One was at least in the ballpark with the space battle. But since it's feel-good Disney action, it's not going to have the war vibes that an independent production can include.

>minimal Jedi Sith bs
Why do you watch movies about something you hate? It's like watching LotR but hating all the "Hobbit and elf bs"

not that user but for many people including george lucas, star wars and the two sequels it had weren't really *about* jedi and force mysticism. that stuff is there for it's reason but the thing star wars is *about* what it was inspired to bring the thrill of to the screen, is drag racing. the first one is about playing chicken specifically. high speed narrow path high stakes movement is what star wars OT is about
PT came along and george tried to recapture it but having lost his touch at this point got too direct with the pod-racing and it was all fucked and dropped from there
Actual pyro boys who the movies were for liked that shit. it got worldwide appeal because it turned out kind of unexpectedly that effeminite men and women like the jedi sith 'magic energy' stuff

that scene where they literally bump into the "you'll be dead guy" might be the worst thing I've ever seen

Attached: fire.png (1139x488, 827K)

>pauses for a while
>Suddeny shouts BOR GULLET
Yea, that's a cringe from me...

You dont belong in this thread

At any point during that scene, Vader could have used his force power to yank the keycard out of any one of those rebels hands.
Why did he not do this?
Obviously because the plot requires that the keycard is ultimately delivered to Leia.
Obviously because it's a fucking retarded scene.

Rogue One and Solo do a much better job at world building and have much more thought and effort put into them than the Sequel Trilogy does.

Which scene ?

It has excellent atmosphere.

>Oi 'scuse me lad, whats your name?
>Han
>An wots your last name there sonny?
>Uh I don't have a last name
>Aaaah I see I see, who's ya people then?
>I don't have any people
>All alone then? Well we will call you Han Solo, 'cus Solo is a synonym for bein alone innit.

Attached: 1551557725214.gif (726x400, 1.36M)

remember when this dialogue was just a joke to demonstrate how bad the movie could be

The best Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi. They could have lost a third of the comedy and *le ebin Vader scene* or maybe made it a little less reddit and it would have been phenomenal.

fuck off you shill faggot these movies are horrendous and you're a pissant bitch.

This one.

Attached: rogue one cameo.jpg (1000x419, 47K)

it's really disturbing how these types of faggots exist at all. new star war is total trash. Even Phantom Menace was better. I hate you people.

>defending a china pandering film

>shitty unlikable main character were supposed to believe is tough
>terrible supporting characters, all incredibly forgettable and almost entirely unnecessary
>quip-bot
>comical stormtrooper deaths (I always feel like shit like this is really messed up)
>Krennic is a poor villain who comes off as a guy who would have been killed on the job, day one
>Seriously, he achieves absolutely nothing
>Forest Whitaker's character and plot wasted
>Mads character wasted, little genuine connection to supposed daughter
>KAIBUH CRYSTAL KAIBUH CRYSTAL
>CGI TARKIN
>That entire "Hope" scene with the rebel command (worst scene in movie)
>IT AINT ME rebels
>let's make a space battle scene that seems more bullshit than the executor's destruction in RotJ
>Fanservice Vader trivializes his role in OT
>Tantive IV at the battle
>CGI LEIA

It otherwise could have been a fantastic movie and seems like Disney's strongest release. Actually managed to capture the Star Wars feel.

Best space battle ever put on film; a nice tribute to WWII naval without being a substance less superficial clone a la TLJ resistance bombers. Pure kino from the moment they all hyperspace above scarif to the credits roll. A perfect illustration of classic asymmetrical Star Wars warfare. Kind of a shame that it's bogged down by the first half of the film though.

I was so baked when I saw it. I loved it.
honestly more than even the original trilogy.

it was confirmation that they have no ideas except to tell stories that reference the original trilogy

both RO and Solo don't have any heroic journey, just social justice suicidal nonsense against MUH NAZIS

8 was a surprise to no one, we knew exactly what to expect, and 9 will be the same unless someone grows some balls

>fan service the movie
>to an extent that even the main characters get shit development

why do the star destroyers look off in this movie?

Anyone saying the Vader scene is kino should hang themselves asap. For me, it soiled the movie. The callbacks to the OT in the beginning were cute and acceptable but the Vader scene was so Kool-Aid Man it was laughable. AWWWW YEAH HERES VADER MOTHERFUCKERS SLAYING SOME REBEL SCUM!!!

Can say the same about Solo. Great scene when he meets chewy though.

it was
watch it

>Massive object emerging from hyperspace
>Score becomes quiet
>Death is now imminent

Its so kino that it almost feels accidental. Hard to believe that the same studio could pull off this tasteful allegory for WMDs while putting out TLJ a year later.

This is the single

Attached: je2rywybchny (1).jpg (1334x750, 47K)

rekt

>The callbacks to the OT in the beginning were cute and acceptable
They were annoying and shit
see

u mad whiteboi??
we out here buckin yo womens

Dude I fucking hate everything but the OT and I'll agree that TPMs saber fight is unironically the best in the saga behind Luke and Vaders two but the prequels are a fucking mess. Rogue One was just a non harmful spin off that actually had some of the best cinematography I've ever seen in a SW film. You wanna know what I really think?
>New Hope (6.5/10)
>Empire (7.5/10)
>Jedi (5.5/10)
>Phantom (2/10)
>Clones (1.5/10)
>Sith (3.5/10)
>TFA (1/10)
>TLJ (0/10)

>R1 (3.5/10)

Star Wars is kinda shit bro.

Based Lord Tion

My old man nudged me when those guys had their scene and we had laugh. We also both laughed afterwards about how we hate new star wars.

>Have you even seen the first-ever scene of the first-ever Star Wars film?
Have you read any of the Vader comics? He wipes out an entire Rebel company+ by himself after crash landing on a planet.

Attached: qaeghbwsedghb.jpg (640x640, 100K)

the hate for this one isn't justified

damn there's literally nothing i would change about these ratings

I didn't know burner phones had autocorrect

Awful. Genuinely an awful film, no meming.
Do you remember when it was announced? Rumours of a gritty saving private ryan style war film. Following a band of grunts on the ground. Then the announce trailer came out, and it was the death star rising above the jungles amid sounds of war. Kino announcement.
Then silence. And new rumours. Talk of production problems, script rewrites, people leaving. Now it's going to be about an Ocean's 11 style heist. Wacky team of characters getting into a caper. Okay, I wanted the war film but that could be cool.
It finally comes out, and it's a splatter of both, but also neither. It's a flat piece of trash full of empty characters, numbing action and nothing else at all. Pure rubbish.
Force Awakens was mediocre. Rogue One was filth. I have not watched a star wars film since. It was the nail in the coffin and I am not missing out at all.
Remember that shot of the TIE fighter squaring up against the lead in the trailer? It's not in the film.

Somebody get this guy a beer.

Attached: 20170221_222022.jpg (804x683, 256K)

That joke doesn't really work there

>fan fiction
You're not helping your case here.

Is bucking now a word niggers use? Sorry I don't listen to rap.

>comics

Attached: girls_laughing.png (449x401, 490K)