Why did HAL refuse to open the podbay door?

Attached: 『2001年宇宙の旅(字幕)』(1968).mp4_snapshot_01.43.05_[2018.12.13_23.01.01].jpg (665x559, 33K)

he was a real jerk

>I'm afraid I can't do that
Why would HAL talk back? It has no reason to do so but to inform the viewer about its intentions. Was HAL in on the fact that it was a movie?

Because Kubrick is a fucking hack and intentionally kept the entire movie vague to trick people into think it's deep.

cope and seethe
there's a reason why every famous director loves it, kid/pleb.

HAL was a girl so she was a bitch.

because they're easily fooled? yeah i know. this isn't speculation btw, he said it in no uncertain terms multiple times throughout his career. the ending especially had no particular message from him, it was just strange enough to make people come up with their own crazy interpretations

Because HAL could read lips and knew they were scheming behind his back.

Actually, at some point HAL just says this conversation doesn't have any purpose anymore, goodbye Dave.

>the ending especially had no particular message from him
Factually wrong.

The movie has no message, it's the equivalent of todays modern art by an 18 yo fag

Evolution.

I mean it's literally directly told over and over again, the bone to spaceship cut is the best example.
You have to be braindead not to get this

>the ending especially had no particular message from him
False

The only part of 2001 that's good is HAL and David

Yeah it's mostly a new Age message. We've been evoluting from monkey to humans and the next step would be from human to something like a god.
But that's only one theme of the film there's also this constant conspiracy thing and decpetion.

So everything.

experiencing the Star Gate sequence in a theater was really something else, I implore anyone that has the option to see it in theaters to do so

This. Saw it in a huge theatre which is usually used for orchestral music. You really appreciate the movie when there's an amazing soundsystem blasting the score. The part on the moon is especially good.

“This conversation can serve no purpose”

> I don't understand it, so it's stupid.

Yes, that's right.

he was trying to cockblock him from finding another monolith

I watched 45 mins and had to stop. I was just bored out of my fucking mind. Am I a brainlet?

12 year old me could make it through the movie without getting bored

It's one of the earliest (earlier than Star Wars) sci-fi depictions of AI going rogue, I think it doesn't need to be pitch perfect. I mean, visually it is. But the need for robots to act perfectly according to the story wasn't as needy then as it is now. It's a tricky subject to master anyhow, even today, 2019 "I am mother" movie couldn't quite nail the AI concept. In my opinion I think HAL is a very, very good depiction of movie AI - beautiful in many ways, but not perfect. Few things are.

Attached: 1558765830708.jpg (451x613, 24K)

Guess I should just kill myself then.

Is it bad if I really hate this movie, I can't imagine watching it again that would be unbearabe

I had to skip the drawn out spaceship classical music travel scene, but literally everything else about the movie had me glued to the screen.

>constant conspiracy thing and decpetion
no

Reminder that when HAL meets Dave again in 1000 years, he apologizes for everything that happened in 2001.

My dad said he used to drop acid and watch this movie in the theatre

Doctor Who did rogue AI two years earlier in the War Machines. At the end of the first episode, during the credits, it tries to make out that the AI in the story, Wotan, is trying to mind control the audience.

Attached: the-war-machines6.jpg (584x328, 27K)

Because HAL was a dick and probably a Nazi

The film should have been about 45 minutes long

>rogue AI

Um no sweetie. HAL was programmed to tell the truth, but they also programmed him to keep the real reason for the mission a secret from the crew. Having to lie to the crew drove him insane. So he reasoned out that dead crew= no longer having to lie. He didnt go rogue, he simply followed his programmed logic.

Virgin HAL vs Chad TARS

couldn't he have just let them remain frozen and alive instead though?

The bit in the beginning when he calls his young daughter and talks to the people in the spaceport was mildly interesting

Your dad sounds like a piece of shit.

> no surprise there

hal was racist and denied trans identities

>looking for 'messages' in film, or any art form
Kill yourself, that's the message of my post.

>"You never clean or perform routine maintenance, Dave."
>"It doesn't take long to run a clorox wipe over a few things, you know."

>find important space object
>get crew of doctor astronauts
>spend loads of money sending them to jupiter or whatever
>program their computer to be evil
what the fuck is earths problem

HAL doesn't turn rogue or go evil - he was put into a double bind by his programmers. on one hand he was programmed to take care of the astronauts. on the other, he was told this particular mission was so important that there couldn't be any mistakes. HAL tested dave and would have let him live if he was more intelligent. Earlier in the film when playing chess against Dave, HAL makes a false move to check how rational and perceptive Dave is. Dave doesn't notice HAL's false move, and HAL has to rationally get rid of the crew because their irrationality are the biggest threat against the mission.

What no? Just because you missed it, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Is that explained in the book? Because i don't think that's something you would get from watching the film alone. It only shows that HAL grows a conscience and tries to protect his life from the crew.

HAL was too busy having sex

>reddit spacing
>putting a space after the memearrow
newfags should be gassed

He was just a big meanie.

>Is that explained in the book
no. the chess move isn't either, but it's such a small detail that only a chess autist would pick up on it
>It only shows that HAL grows a conscience
i never got that impression from the film.

He wouldn't take his shoes off first and HAL does the japanese thing.

*reddit arrows*
Oof da

that's not how you use greentext stupid nigger

I think you mean “consciousness” and no, he literally says the mission is too important to trust humans with. He has that whole conversation with the other astronaut about human error in which he even seems confused at the idea that somebody could make a mistake. That revelation of human imperfection combined with his programming to make sure the mission succeeds at all costs is what fucks him up.

>Everyone was just fooled into thinking it's good, rather than hosting their own personal opinions.
He's delusional, get him out of here.

the other guys would've woken them

Also, the incomprehensibility of alien intelligence.

Hai Norm

Hi Stephen King