Why is animation so sterile nowadays?

The old grainy looking cartoons from the 50s to 2000s (varying degrees of grainyness) and hand-drawn figures and watercolour backgrounds is so fucking comfy. But new animation just feels like a shitty kid drew it on a make-your-own-cartoon app on his iPad.

I didnt even pick the best example of this transition because of sn**d fags but yes that show is an amazing example of this.

Attached: E32C9ACE-1465-4E73-A4C3-B0B59B588143.jpg (2048x2048, 710K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KK541L5x_IY
youtu.be/lzsMHardxnU
youtube.com/watch?v=9mNhj-Z7VRI
vimeo.com/165221843
youtube.com/watch?v=84kXsfMWq6U
vimeo.com/207086352
vimeo.com/164133120
youtube.com/watch?v=cXVvvWmOIHc
youtube.com/watch?v=BXoI0ovO9ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=9K7Yds8bWz4
youtu.be/0KFyVu514DY
youtube.com/watch?v=iJLRAO6dRtE
youtube.com/watch?v=bFBx3qYGxL8
youtube.com/watch?v=doeyPMb8X-k
sakugabooru.com/post/show/80819
youtube.com/user/UCLslade/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=F4biUmyk-78
youtube.com/watch?v=kwBcyUGXI2s
youtube.com/watch?v=VGksHFs04Rc
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAmvH62cC7Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sneed

because of the fact that all the animation studios use korean sweatshop animators to animate their shows

Did someone say...Sneed?

Flash.

transition from analog animation (paint, etc) to digital animation.

Mostly time and money budgets in addition to introduction of computers instead of the horribly inefficient hand drawn styles. A generation of people who grew up on good cartoons hit the industry with their blank resumes and frankly studios would have been stupid not to hire them for the bare minimum. They didn't produce good results, but the people who noticed are the minority because kids are fucking stupid.

formerly macromedia

they've been doing that since the 80s

It's not good to compare a basic tv comedy to two well known franchises. Looney Tunes is making a comback, 6 years in the making, which emphasizes the fact that budgeting is a huge factor. You outsource your animation to asia or a small freelance team, not WB or Disney. Simpsons will never be a 100 percent good example of good animaton, there are a handful of well drawn sequences, but less than 10 actually well animated episodes, as Matt Groening doesn't like squash and stretch, so much so they had to reanimate the first intended episode. TV shows are a business, not an artform, so mr great animator is better off moving to Japan or France than staying in the American industry, or pray that an ambitious project come to fold in America. youtu.be/KK541L5x_IY

Just look at this sterile, stiff, Calarts shit.

youtu.be/lzsMHardxnU

Sneed

AH AH

SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE

DBZ at its best is my favorite artstyle, great immersive experience

Unironic answer is animation software like Flash taking over the industry. Way cheaper than trad animation but significantly less dynamic. Combine that with art schools pumping out talentless, untrained workforce and you've got the modern american animation industry

Attached: 1520238054870.jpg (1752x5426, 1.17M)

>modern american animation industry
This is just a problem in the industry in general

Attached: So it's teason then.png (998x719, 502K)

Go on Catsuka.com and see all the non american animation that's happening right now youtube.com/watch?v=9mNhj-Z7VRI

It really is tho
Places like Japan and France are still pumping out kino

why is feed so sneed these days?

There’s a copypasta (I think?) on how CalArts has completely destroyed American animation. They teach the technique you see in Steven Universe and Rick and Morty, etc. If it wasn’t copypasta I wish I saved it, I met some thot that went there and she showed me her portfolio, all the same shit. Really tripped me out

> like a shitty kid drew it on a make-your-own-cartoon app on his iPad

That's what outsourcing is, dumb dumb

because that is digital animation for you

It's toonboom and a professional lack of standards in the industry. You can digitally make a cartoon look like a cartoon from the 40's with bokeh and film grain but it's alot of effort for kids and adults who have no respect for the medium of animation. So, you end up with static and lifeless animations.

now show all the great British animation or the Canadian

>why does the animation made on a computer look good when I view it on a computer screen compared to the animation that was not made on a computer but has been digitally converted so that I can view on a computer screen and then post about the comparison on a computer screen

Attached: 1509322512300.png (408x450, 34K)

Whatever happened to THIS style of animation? Eastern bloc-looking stuff. Now THAT was maximum comfy.

Attached: 11.webm (480x360, 1.54M)

Remember Motorcity? A Flash animated cartoon from the early 2010s with it's own in program engine? It got canned by Disney because it wasn't a preexisting IP. Less than 6 original Disney cartoons exist on tv, which implies something
vimeo.com/165221843

Attached: motorcity_anime_expo_2012_flyer_by_bkalina7_d5593kt-pre.jpg (697x1147, 137K)

thankfully dead. I HATE stop motion animation.

It stopped having soul to it and became computer animated crap done in a week.

it's cheaper and faster

animation is mainly not even watched by kids these days, they are made by libtard manchildren, who make them for libtard manchildren. it's pure cancer.

We got Ballmastrz (which is getting a second season now) out of Motorcity's cancellation so at least it wasn't for nothing.

Sneed: "Well, well,..."

Absolutely Sneed: "...look at the cityslicker pulling up in his..."

Literally Fucking Sneed: "...fancy German car!"

Moevirgin: cringe

Sneedchads: based

>British animation
youtube.com/watch?v=84kXsfMWq6U
vimeo.com/207086352
>Canada
vimeo.com/164133120
youtube.com/watch?v=cXVvvWmOIHc

>stop motion is dead
not if wes anderson and Laika studios have anything to say about it

stop motion is still better than CGI, even claymation is
'soul' is a buzzword, but 2D animation and stop motion have it in spades

this is the real kino

youtube.com/watch?v=BXoI0ovO9ZY

Formerly well animated

What are some modern shows that defy the
>it’s cheaper and faster
For stylistic reasons?

Attached: 1558149940635.png (852x778, 57K)

Wish I could but some retard posted a copyrighted video

Unironically computers killed soulful animation.

gumball

You know Yea Forums exists, right?

Attached: 1526753381127.png (982x770, 226K)

Sneed, Sneedd and Sneeddy

Capitalism.
Back in the 90s, people threw money at animation. Nowadays, Hollywood is so risk-averse that any cartoon that can't make 500% profit is an automatic pass.

As an old amateur animator (Made tons of stuff on the old newgrounds using flash). Most of the animation looking shitty is because of "tweening" what this means is that instead of having keyframes and then drawing out all the frames in between by hand most studios now make key frames and then use software algorithms to automatically animate between between these key frames. This gives this "jello" movement look that is very rapid and high FPS. It's extremely cheap and easy but almost everyone hates to look at it.

One step worse that some shows use is having dynamic 2d models which are just characters where they can twist the arms and hands and change the facial expressions by pushing some buttons and then rendering the in between frames automatically. As far as I know this isn't done by a lot of animation studios but it's out there and it's the cheapest shit ever.

Meanwhile the Newgrounds animation community slowly died when youtube took over and most of us migrated over to youtube for add revenue. Then when youtube started to prioritize 10 minutes+ videos our animations didn't get bumped anymore and making such long animations wasn't profitable or fun to do so it kinda died off.

I'm sad that our "genuine" animation style of making key frames and just drawing out all frames in between didn't get picked up by big studios. But that's life I guess.

Because fluid animation over detailing. Just look at Pokemon SM anime. And look at its fanboys.

Because its cheaper you fucking morons

Do you have any idea how expensive traditional, high quality 2d animation is?

Hand drawn cartoons literally have a soul since you have to spend so much time animating it, you dont have to go through some much thingamagicks with cgi.

I used to think I liked animation because I grew up on the Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, and old Looney Tunes.

I don't think I really give a fuck about animation because even though I like ATHF, AT, AD, Archer, and yes Rick & Morty, I think I just like a certain kind of writing that usually is in animated shows. I like something that's pretty colorful but I don't really care that much about animation.

I remember when Coraline and Fantastic Mr Fox came out the same year. Coraline undoubtedly has better animation. FMF looks okay but is nowhere near as ambitious or dazzling. But Coraline kinda sucks, and FMF is amazing, and it's all because FMF is really funny and Coraline isn't.

This is also true of the comics I like to read. I sometimes will buy a comic book but it'll be mostly or completely wordless. I don't have much of a use for these. Meanwhile if there's lot of dialog and if it's good, I enjoy it way more. image search Mickey Zacchilli. her drawings are literally scribbles but her most recent comic book was fucking hilarious. I don't care about artwork or animation.

>Coraline kinda sucks
pleb detected

>Williams again
He's a great inbetweener or assistant but not a good lead at all. His book teaches you how to do what he does, which isn't animate so much as it is to flood frames for a motion.
Funny or neat opinions and history but not a good teacher either.

please tell us master moron

> old cartoon network cartoons
> good
May have had better animation and artistic quality but man were they unfunny garbage
> Scooby Doo
>Tom and Jerry
>Pepe le Pew
>Roadrunner
talk about snoresville
90s until about 2005 was the golden age of cartoons and nothing will ever beat it

that was grotesque and disturbing and my life was made worse by having viewed it
I hate you faggot

kids dont watch cartoons anymore
they watch youtube

removing all the detail cuts a lot of animation cost.
also animators nowadays are both lacy and horrible underpayed

I like it

Attached: 1526903811053.jpg (744x596, 50K)

>One step worse that some shows use is having dynamic 2d models which are just characters where they can twist the arms and hands and change the facial expressions by pushing some buttons and then rendering the in between frames automatically. As far as I know this isn't done by a lot of animation studios but it's out there and it's the cheapest shit ever.
pretty sure that's what Archer does
most garbage horribly animated low effort unfunny garbage known to man

Lumbago KINO
youtube.com/watch?v=9K7Yds8bWz4

Attached: pbsromancity.jpg (1000x766, 126K)

It's cheap
They all use the same shitty sweat shop/ai studios and programs/techniques all made to cut costs for max amount of frames
Enjoy

why is double d cuban in this picture

Based Genndy is going to save animation
youtu.be/0KFyVu514DY

Attached: primal.jpg (1920x814, 176K)

this

>saves western animation in your path

youtu.be/KK541L5x_IY

Because it's mostly fucking adults watching them now, not kids.

only someone with legitimate autism can find this "comfy"

They're American problems. However, many shows that people think are flash animated are actually hand-drawn, and people conflate non-technical decisions with technical factors. So when something looks like shit it must be because "digital animation" or "computers," and not because they designed shitty looking characters, did shitty storyboards and commissioned shitty animation.

Unfortunately for you there was a stop motion series made recently in Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=iJLRAO6dRtE

>Do you have any idea how expensive traditional, high quality 2d animation is?
Not that expensive, if we're talking about TV level stuff. And if we're talking about movies, they cost far less than the 3D movies of today.

whats this?? I don't remember Double D being a nigger

pretty sure double D was alluded to being some weird ethnicity

Daily reminder that if you don't love Krteček, you are a terrible human being.

Attached: krtecek_3.jpg (220x237, 26K)

the writing was no different than any other dumb show of today, even Redline had better writing

That effect looks like shit, even worse than digitally shot movies having fake grain added in. I haven't seen anything get 40s quality right, let alone 80s or 90s style right. Megalo Box is a good example of how it doesnt work

I still don't get how youtube 10+ minute killed amateur animation. Newgrounds didnt pay you shit outside of winning some contests where you got $100 max. People were already doing it for free.

A lot of flash animations were projects that art school students did in their free time. I believe that the decline of flash animation has more to do with modern animation students having no real interest or passion for animation.

>Double D is black

It's the little details I like the most.

Megalo Box was downscaled and then scaled back up, but this only made it look like an early digital show from the 00s, which is not something you want to emulate. It still looked good aside from that.

Correct color design and avoiding digital painting and effects goes a long way towards making something look like cel animation.

Attached: Prologue battle full.webm (450x253, 3M)

youtube.com/watch?v=bFBx3qYGxL8
This comfy.

Shneed my brotha

You dont know a fucking thing dude. Ping pong the animation was made almost entirely in flash

Some shots were made in flash (at least one), but Yuasa's studio apparently uses it extensively now.

I can't really understand it dude
She was only 25 years old
A fucking lethal stroke at fucking 25!!!!!!

>the writing was no different than any other dumb show of today, even Redline had better writing
Comparing a 22 minute tv show to a 102 minute movie is dumb.
Tell me an episode you remember from the top of your head. Don't wiki it, don't google it, and don't search for the episode. Because at best, it was a fast paced romp with well set up action/world building with some dramatic buildup, and at worse it was a character learning a lesson

Attached: sdrh.jpg (235x213, 10K)

Not him but I don't see why it would be dumb. There are differences because of length but bad writing is bad writing and good writing is good writing whether it's a show or movie.

Well I hate you.

When I watched Redline, I felt like the characters took the race seriously, like how those old timey whacky racer shows were. Overdrive Motorcity from Disney XD didn't feel believable, all cartoons suffer from this nonsense attitude that seem to lack any grit/edge under the circumstances they are under, unless its played for laughs its still retarded and just another comedy. You know why I remember Symbionic Titan so well? Because it felt like it had stakes. I gave a shit and want to know what happened to so many plot points that will never get answered in a season 2. Motorcity? Who fucking cares Trudy or Judy will talk it over with her toxic mansplaining mark hamil dad.

...excuse me, fag?

Attached: AshFox.gif (500x270, 459K)

That's because of all the SJW Cal-arts graduates and their shill teachers

Cartoonist today cant draw dick compared to old school cartoonist.

You had to be highly proficient in your drawing ability because you drew on paper. If you fucked up more often times then not you would have to just redraw the whole thing because erasing was not efficient enough at fixing the mistake.

Compare that to today's "cartoonist" you need to be able to draw slightly above a stick figure and being proficient isn't really necessary. If you fuck up you hit undo or break out the eraser that completely nullifies the mistake.

We are very good at picking up "soul" from different mediums, and soul only comes from repeatedly trying and failing until you become a master.

There is none of that in animation today.

Attached: 1559215347374.jpg (413x395, 38K)

>he doesn't know

I can dig this, I think a lot of it might be the humor. Animation allows humor that just wouldn't work with live action. Especially some of the more absurd shtick.

Very little of American TV animation has even been animated in America since the 70s. Most of it is done in Korea, and they might even be still using pen and paper.

Looney Tunes was the golden age of full in-house animation.

Korean studios was mostly a nicktoon thing that's still around today. To make things worse they picked up weird habits like using storyboard frames as the actual key frames and the oversimplified 2d style originally used for parodies caught on with the generation of animators immediately after.

In a way you could actually blame John K. for that one and be totally right.

CoreRetas actually. After mid-2000s ToonBoom at their lunch.

There is an intangible that is lost in the use of CGI. Even if you’re not conscious of it, your brain registers the absence of real human effort. It’s the difference between your child bringing home a clay figure they crudely molded in kindergarten and handing you something they 3D-printed from a template on the Internet. There is no effort in it, no love, no original artistic touch.

Nobody still uses pen and paper

>CoreRetas actually. After mid-2000s ToonBoom at their lunch.
RETAS is a Japanese software suite that was made for the anime industry. I've never heard of it being used in America. CoreRETAS is described as:
>a rendering utility which allows one to set up a scene and render it as an animation, following a process similar to the traditional shooting of cels and backgrounds with an animation camera. The software features various functionality such as panning, multiplane effects, moving images, and exporting.

It's still standard in Japan at least.

i took 2 animation electives in college and the animators survival kit was required for each of them

Board-driven animation is honestly one of the worst things to come (back) into vogue in modern times. Nearly every single animated series on TV today is board-driven with no scripts or professional writers. Adventure Time saved a lot of money doing it that way so every show is following their lead. But all these shows ALSO want to have consistent mythology, character development, serialized narratives and ongoing story arcs like a script-driven cartoon. So the end result is always a fuckin mess.

Board-driven is good for episodic shorts. Script-driven is good for more complex, ongoing narratives. Board-driven cannot do what script-driven does, but it's so much cheaper not to hire writers so who gives a fuck if the show ends up being really bad? Worse yet, the benefits of being board-driven don't even surface in these shows since everyone is drawing like a hive mind and characters and gags are always the same. Fuckin awful time for animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=doeyPMb8X-k

had to look this shit up

Adventure Time really suffered for this. So many plot threads and worldbuilding with no payoff.

Terrible pacing in individual episodes, too. Episodes would just suddenly and abruptly end because they ran out of time. The boarder wasn't working from a script for pacing framework so they just drew funny pictures until "Oops, no more room, I guess we're done."

Doing something on Flash is way cheaper and little kids can’t discern quality.

Gumball looks so fucking good. And I'm going to unironically say Friendship is Magic too.

Of course people will sperg out over a lesbian kiss in the finale when really the entire thing was boarded like it was improvised after a long night of drinking. Ed, Edd n' Eddy had better pacing.

They went from film to digital

The success of Family Guy shows that you can have utterly garbage character design and artstyle along with essentially nonexistent animation and retards will clap for it.

Holy fucking kek this is perfection

thats not at all what he is saying you fucking dildo

Attached: 1557335302730.png (960x960, 331K)

Cell animation good computer animation bad

Attached: 1560717166191.jpg (243x234, 18K)

Honestly if you're expecting to gain some visual satisfaction from watching animation then you should have migrated over to anime a long time ago.

sakugabooru.com/post/show/80819

why is Chuck’s Sneed’s Feed and Seed nowadays?

imagine christmas without comfy stop motion kino

Attached: nightmare.png (767x431, 376K)

pleb

>Coraline kinda sucks
This is mental illness

His middle name is Marion

Attached: 469ee89ebf9270f1f0faab76a0fe9a90.jpg (291x456, 24K)

the animation sucks most of the time, but then there's things like the bullfrog scene that come out of nowhere

Disney used to paint their animations on glass plates directly and then film each frame. I know its not tv animation tier but thats why movies like Fantasia, Bambi, Snow White, etc look so fucking good

Attached: 917flvc3aRL.jpg (2560x1280, 613K)

Because none of it is hand drawn anymore.

>Disney used to paint their animations on glass plates directly and then film each frame.
Do you mean for some one-off effects?

It is, but hand-drawn doesn't automatically mean quality. Even I could do hand-drawn animation right now. And it would be terrible.

Youre right I'm sorry, it was only for certain moments. The Ave Maria finale moving through the trees is paint on glass I believe.

Attached: ave.jpg (602x382, 26K)

>ywn have taste this shit
Feels good.

youtube.com/user/UCLslade/videos
What level of brainwashing do you need to be on to think any of this is good. Are they actually proud of their "art"?

Someone with a PhD from a school of fine arts in America:
youtube.com/watch?v=F4biUmyk-78

One man short film by someone with no formal art education who learned much of his trade at a video game company:
youtube.com/watch?v=kwBcyUGXI2s

That guy's work today:
youtube.com/watch?v=VGksHFs04Rc
To be fair, not everyone at that school is terrible:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAmvH62cC7Q

But I'm sure anyone there who has any artistic ability has it despite the school, not because of it.

Formerly ch**k

>Canada

Attached: 7A997B45-7B0D-4BA2-A9AB-CC970E1C22DF.jpg (2000x1125, 382K)

liberals ruined cartoons

>hand drawn
>most of them were self taught/mentored not assembly line drones from calarts
>SOUL because competition and formulaic need to make money isn't that high yet

I don't even know who you are.

its what the studios want

in quebec, the 2D drawing programs can pump out decent artists, but they all get poached by companies that do not put their skills to use

they literally employ people who can draw and make them use google images as for their background scenes

Just terrible

Attached: krtecek_9.jpg (220x231, 24K)

A skeletal man plays with his balls while nukes go off nearby. Is this a metaphor for life in the Soviet union?

Don't forget Beast Wars

Pinocchio was peak animation

This.
Learned 2D/3D animation and was put to work tracking motion capture for sub-contracts with marvel.

agreed

Attached: download.jpg (665x498, 51K)

>calarts style
off yourself if you think thats a real thing

Attached: storm1220104-683x1024.jpg (683x1024, 77K)

I hate how motion capture is now an animation standard. Or how normies think its how to get 'realistic' animation rather than hiring someone who can actually animate