The Dark Age of Movies (1996-2001)

youtube.com/watch?v=kAGGsO23z_k
Why were 1996-2001 so bad when it came to movies?

Attached: 1523823269785.jpg (620x274, 204K)

2008-2013 was far worse

The greatest movie ever came out in 1999

They were great. Especially for European and Asian cinema.
Which one?

Every Hollywood movie after 2005 is worse simply because they are made for Chinese insect people

American Beauty
Matrix
Being john malkovich
Fight Club
Saving Private Ryan
Truman Show
The sixth Sense
Lost Highway

The dark age of movies is literally happening right now. maybe one or two good movies come out every year at best.

Not true. Last year Cold War, Burning, The House That Jack Built, An Elephant Sitting Still, Old Man and the Gun, First Reformed, The Sisters Brothers, First Man, The World Is Yours

Titanic was made made in 1997

Good movies are still being made ofc but I have to agree with the other guy. Literally none of the movies you listed played in a theatre in my city (and I live in a big europoor city) only for maybe first man and that played for like a week. Meanwhile disney is only pumping out one billion dollar movie after the other and normies love it...

>1996
Fargo
Trainspotting
Sling Blade
12 Monkeys
Happy Gilmore
The Birdcage
Mission: Impossible
The Cable Guy I liked it
Mars Attacks!
Jerry Maguire
Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
Scream
The People vs. Larry Flynt

You want me to defend 1997 or have I made my point?

What do you mean? I rarely went to the theaters before, just 1 or 2 times per year, 3 tops, and not all of them were decent. But Marvel finally made me care about movies, I'd say it's a golden age for both audiences and companies, as I know I'm guaranteed some fun and I can always look forward for the next flick.
Even newer cartoons suck ass, which were the things that made me stand up and go watch. Pixar churns out soulless sequels and 3D movies are just fully embracing the fact that they're for little kids, we ain't getting another Toy Story or The Incredibles and even Inside Out was a while ago.

But the MCU keeps delivering and whenever I go see a non-MCU movie I can just feel the dip in quality.

The Blair Witch?

OH GOD A FEW AWFUL KIDS MOVIES CAME OUT, OH THE HUMANITY, A WHOLE HALF A DECADE OF FILMS WAS TERRIBLE BECAUSE OF SPACE JAM AND BATMAN AAAAAA *SHOOTS GUN*

>Fargo, Sling Blade, The Fifth Element, Con Air, Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, End of Evangelion, Boogie Nights, Suzaku, Cure, Ring, The Big Lebowski, Fear & Loathing, BioZombie, Love & Pop, Ronin, A Simple Plan, The Thin Red Line, The Matrix, Election, Kikujiro, The Iron Giant, The Sixth Sense, Ghost Dog, Audition, Bringing Out the Dead, Jin-Roh, American Movie, The Green Mile, Peppermint Candy, American Psycho, Barking Dogs Never Bite, >The Road to El Dorado, In the Mood for Love, Sexy Beast, Cast Away, Spirited Away, Millennium Actress, The Man Who Wasn't There, Black Hawk Down, Vanilla Sky, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Goodbye South Goodbye, Mahjong, The River, The Eel, Happiness, Beau Travail, Yi Yi, Eureka, Werckmeister Harmonies, All About Lily Chou-Chou
Many of the masters of cinema were still alive and working at the time. They were still filming fucking Kurosawa scripts.

Sure, that's true but it's misleading to say that there are only 1 or 2 good movies coming out per year.
>Werckmeister Harmonies
One of the best films i have ever seen.

Space Jam is was and forever will be fun. Stop being a faggot.

not as bad as the 80's
but yeah still pretty bad

Nah it's shit that only Zoomers like

No time period is worse than 2010-2019

the dark ages is 2005+

2007 was great.

This sorry piece of shit still making videos?

>Cold War
decent
>Burning
haven't seen
>The House That Jack Built
Haven't seen, but Lars Von Trier so probably shit.
>An Elephant Sitting Still
complete and utter dog shit. Only remembered because the director killed himself.
>Old Man and the Gun
commie crap
>First Reformed
A24 fake arthouse
>The Sisters Brothers
Haven't watched
>First Man
Good film, not great
>The World Is Yours
never heard of it

lulwut, 1987-2002 is literally the golden age of modern film.

dark age of movies its 2004-now

>maybe one or two good movies come out every year at best
if by good you mean movies that would be average in a better time period then yes. honestly anything considered "good" these days is objectively 5/10 at best

2009-2019 has been horrible and it will only get worse. the late 90s provided some charming classics as did the early-mid 2000s. everything is terrible now though. we have been beaten to death with inexcusable remakes (most of them bombed), terrible sequels, cape flicks, comedy films that have been neutered into submission by studio ethics departments, and so on.

just scientologyphobia dribel

Might as well just extend that to 2020 and mark off the whole decade
It's gonna get worse before it gets any better

>People who weren't born when it was released only like it

O-okay user.

I get the feeling that basically main stream movie making has been a let down.
Back in the OP pasted era it was also due to cgi playing a more prominent role in attracting people to the theatres; meaning studio's made movies for the sake of as many as possible over the top cgi effects to attract customers however they didn't care much about plot cause they thought people would go anyway.

The current is happening now as well but instead of massive cgi you get films in franchises meaning at least 2 sequels and preferable more. There are still good movies but they are overshadowed in theaters by these corporate franchises. We would have times where a blockbuster would be a stand alone movie such as Titanic, but I don't think any of them stand a chance now that during the most popular seasons Disney is booking all the theaters with Star Wars and formerly spring with Avengers and other major Marvel films.

There is no era of bad movies if you disregard blockbusters.

If you were born after 1989 then you are a zoomer

I'm afraid to ask if this is bait or not.

Attached: insult to life itself.png (1280x720, 902K)

Moronic post. The 90's were the last decade of Hollywood backed indy and artsy films. Even more mainstream films (Seven, Fight Club) that came out during this time would never get made today. Studios are now risk adverse to anything other than sequels, capeshit, Disney soiwars and the annual Dwayne Johnson shitfest.

Film making began to suffer post-9/11. While there have been good movies made since, they are mostly small budget endeavors. Post-2010, now most"indy" and mainstream films are socio-politically pozzed trash.

The 80's were the birth of the "summer blockbuster", as such not a lot of great indy films during that decade, it was only when the 90's came about with a healthy dose of gen X cynicism and angst that propelled a great decade of films. Hollywood now is the worst it has ever been in terms of creativity and diversity of content.

>space jam
pure soul
>godzilla
great as a 20000 fathoms remake
>Battle Earth
It as no major production and full of problems for being written by the Scientolgy guy
>Batman Forever and Robin
they were no worse than marvel flicks, the audience just wasn't ready for the autoparody and quipfzst superhero movies
This guy is pure cringe btw I hate how he moves his mouth

Lol no. Try 1997, grandpa.

>Trainspotting
>Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
>L.A. Confidential
>Boogie nights
>Men in Black
>The Big Lebowski
>Rushmore
>American history X
>the truman Show
>The Green Mile
>Toy Story 2
>Fight Club
>Office Space
>Being John Malkovich
>American Beauty
>The matrix
>South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
>the Iron Giant
>American psycho
>Snatch
>The Emperors New Groove
>Chicken Run
>Donnie Darko
>Fellowship of the Ring
>Monsters Inc.
>The Royal Tenenbaums
>Shrek
All of these films that i just listed came out during this period (1996 - 2001).
In this 6 year long period we got all of these good movies

"Hollywood now is the worst it has ever been in terms of creativity and diversity of content."

-to add, since the 1960's.

There's literally nothing wrong with Godzilla 1998

2 - 3 all time great movies. Maybe 20 something good movies and one great miniseries per year.
It's not terrible unless you only watch new shit.

that youtuber faggot was reffering to summer blockbuster shit not actual kinos. of course he didn't specify that and opted for a clickbait

I didn't say any of those are great, they are good. So you haven't seen 4. You liked 2. An Elephant Sitting Still is good. I don't see what's commie about Old Man and the Gun. First Reformed was bought by A24. A24 had nothing to do with its development.

>zoomers
>space jam
lolwut

>Doug
gonna stop you right there buckaroo.

>The Dark Age of Movies (1996-2001)
No period of time can be considered the "dark age of movies" if that period of time includes Baseketball.

Attached: baseketball.gif (300x279, 315K)

This. 1997-2007 was like a golden age compared to the shit we're stuck with today.

Right up there with Freddy Got Fingered in terms of how ahead of its time it was. Baseketball was what Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie should have been.

>nostalgia critic is a pleb with bad taste and stupid opinions
i mean thats kind of his thing

Comedy was at least god-tier through the early 2000s. The Hangover or Bridesmaids was was the last time we saw a truly great comedy film see mass release, though.

You could never have something like Old School, Step Brothers, or Wedding Crashers today.

This is so dumb I'm not even giving him a click.

It proves that Walker is a low-brow hack.

based

Attached: 51o6zchqOFL.jpg (339x500, 35K)

>First Reformed

This is the shittiest movie I've ever seen. Anyone who has been to Church more than once could see how badly the writers botched religion and how they understood nothing about Chrisendom in the modern world.

What did they botch?

I think he means 2008 - present

Schrader is as Christian as they come

The entire ethos of Toller. There was not one point during the film where he felt like a genuine cleric. I've worked in the Church since my conversion and I have known many protestant ministers and catholic/orthodox priests. I've known many bad ones as well, many addicted to alcohol or clinically depressed... etc. They just completely failed to make his character believable imo.

First Reformed is just as empty and meaningless as any calvinist church. There's the presence of "Christian things" like vestments, collars and so on... but the spirit is totally missing. It's all agony and depression, but basically no grace or salvation. Watch literally any other Catholic film and compare the two. I will say that first reformed is a good film to watch if people wonder why calvinism is basically dead in America and why protestantism is on death's door.

In an interview for the film he said that Christianity is just philosophy and that it is just meditation to him. Sounds exactly like the mainline protestant pastors and bishop's who don't believe in the resurrection and find church to be a "fun and cultural" boomer activity.

South Park was pretty based

Keep going user do the same for all the years to prove the critic wrong

more good movies came out in 1996 than in the entirety of 21st century

fuck this fag

The Green Mile.
Based.

>that pic

Attached: 1536222703644.gif (800x800, 178K)

>dark age
most iconic movies are from those years. some of the bad ones are still talked about today.

Since the year 2000 zero good movies have came from mainstream Hollywood. Zero. It's all just superheros, niggers, 'White man bad' and CGI.

cringe. Those movies are unfunny and for boomer dads

I too enjoy The Boondock Saints.

What the fuck
More like the dark age of this guy growing up lol

Dunston checked in on january 12 1996 so that blows this entire theory to smithereens.

This.

The Thin Red Line
The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Big Lebowski
Dark City

1996-2001 was incredible for movies. Fucking manchildren think because some shitty cartoons and Armageddon came out at the same time that means those 5 years were garbage? 2006 and onward is objectively the worst era for movies ever, there have been no modern classics made and everything is designed to be consumed by drooling retards and bug people so the studio makes a billion dollars.

is he like a 1917 commie or something?

Trainspotting
LA Confidential
Good Will Hunting
Full Monty
Fucking JUNGLE GEORGE!
The Thin Red Line
The Negotiator
Fallen
Lock Stock etc
Office Space
The Mummy
Gladiator
Unbreakable
Snatch
Shaft
Miss Congeniality (Fite me)
Fellowship
Black Hawk Down

It’s way worse today. Even shitty 90s movies destroy any Capeshit movie. It’s been years since I’ve watched a new good movie.

Attached: 1483281639274.png (859x763, 85K)

George of the Jungle*

S11E5

The name It's symbolism

2004 - 2006 was so much worse. not just for movies but music too

worse he's a 80's fag

>1996 - 2001
>The Matrix
>Dark City
>Fight Club
>The Fellowship of the Ring
>The Ring
Those are just off the top of my head.

But the greatest movie ever came out in 2004.

The Matrix. Patrician taste. Or Fight Club?

>No Country for Old Men
>The Dark Knight
>Interstellar
>Blade Runner 2049
>Drive
>Nightcrawler
>The Departed
>Shutter Island
>Rango (2011)
>Inglorious Basterds
The list could go on

Nightcrawler is the only non-retard movie on your memelist

Dark ages doesn't mean nothing good comes out, it means extremely low output of quality items.

Even if this is bait on here, this is how the majority of Americans actually think. What an embarrassing nation.

Ok Kinosnobfagtardasswipebitchshiteaterhead

He cut off Clooney's arm in the thumbnail

You needed further proof?

1999 and 2000 is some of my favorite years for movies.