Arthouse

What have you seen recently? Anything good and worth recommending? What's Yea Forums's opinion on French New Wave and Czechoslovak New Wave?

I have been watching Paolo Sorrentino's films. His films contain some banal dialogue that he tries to pass off as very deep. In the hands of a lesser director his films would be unbearable. He somehow makes it work, his style is very overdone and it's entertaining to watch. Even his weaker films i liked. I also rewatched La Notte and it was fantastic, my favourite from Antonioni's filmography.

I'm split on FNW. Godard and Truffaut don't do anything for me. On the other hand i'm a big fan of Rivette and Resnais. La Belle Noiseuse and Celine and Julie Go Boating are masterpieces. I have yet to watch any Rohmer films.

Czechoslovak New Wave is pretty great and underrated. There is a wide variety of films from comedies, thrillers to dramas. Everyone can find something from themselves. František Vláčil, Karel Kachyňa, Juraj Herz and Oldřich Lipský are my favourites.

Attached: h0I3HXJsNQ1pItvViRCKCDsLObD.jpg (2000x2963, 703K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OwbfbPng1Z0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>French New Wave
hate it, way too self-aware. You've seen one, you've seen them all

I agree that some of them are too self aware and annoying but i don't think that once you have seen one you have seen them all.
Vlacil is great. Marketa and Valley of the Bees are great, stunning cinematography too.

The only director who's loosely French New Wave I'm really into is Rohmer.

But he's really his own thing.

Doesn't he make the same film over and over?

Attached: 3c442a1014f8709996d92bdf21eb9ca2.jpg (1141x1600, 171K)

youtube.com/watch?v=OwbfbPng1Z0

I haven't seen this one but El Sur and The Quince Tree Sun are very good.

Watched pic related yesterday. Easily one of the comfiest films I've ever seen. Definitely going to check out the rest of his filmography.

Pretty much this although I can't bring myself to hate Melville. Fuck Godard though.

Attached: file.png (640x360, 233K)

Apichatpong Weerasethakul is pretty great. Tropical Malady and Cemetery of Splendor are also very good.

Is Melville part of FNW? He is pretty great. Still my favourite French director is Bresson.

>Is Melville part of FNW?
He's a contemporary of the FNW. Some people insert him in the movement, some don't. I think it's warranted despite the differences.

>Still my favourite French director is Bresson.
I can't get into Bresson at all. Disliked both Lancelot du Lac and L'argent. I'll give him one last chance with Au Hasard Balthazar.

this is macedonian panic movement-inspired kino,
i imagine most people reading this thread will either like it or pretend to like it

Attached: poster.jpg (636x900, 158K)

love this film, look at blissfully yours.

Try watching A Man Escaped and Pickpocket. Or maybe Diary of a Country Priest. I don't think Lancelot and L'Argent are good entry points to Bresson.

Attached: 8132h4GhvTL._SL1500_.jpg (1207x1500, 226K)

Hello tumblr trannies

This is SNEED country, trannies

Hahaa SNEEED lmaook SNEEEED CHUCKKKKK SNEEED

Sneedthe

this mostly applies to the cahiers du cinema associated directors like godard and truffaut though, some others like resnais, rivette or varda are much more interesting

>Roger Ebert liked it
Then it must be shit

Attached: 20830813612344.png (246x245, 4K)

It's pretty great. Very slow but very interesting also Emmanuelle Beart is naked for a long time in the film so it's all good.

Lately watched Der Himmel Uber Berlin and Melancholia. Going to watch more Lars Von Trier since all I've watched is that and Riget/The Kingdom. Loved both. He has an interesting sense of humour

The Holy mountain. I didn't get it. I think the last 10 years of capeshit have made me dumber. I am quitting after the new Spooderman

Don't waste your time with The House that Jack built. Probably his worst film; the ending is so trite.

I also find lot of Von Trier's films quite funny. Even some more serious films. Something like Dogville and Nymphomaniac have some very funny scenes. The House That Jack Built was full on dark comedy.

True. In The Kingdom/Riget the Swedish doctor trying to get rid of the comatose girl was more funny than sad.

the holy mountain isn't actually a very good film though. If you want to watch something with shock value that's actually purposeful, go watch salò

what's the concensus on kiarostami? I really like his more recent films, like someone in love and copie conforme, planning to watch more of his 90's stuff

Attached: Like-Someone-in-Love-465.jpg (465x327, 32K)

>salò
I would but i know I can't make it past the poop scene, I can handle gore but poop eating makes me wretch

I really like him, he makes very nice films. I haven't seen Certified Copy, Like Someone In Love and 24 Frames yet but his other films are very good. His 90s films are great.

well, i guess it works better the more digusted you are

Attached: Salo-or-the-120-Days-of-Sodom-800x534.jpg (800x534, 62K)

syndromes is actually my least favorite from joe

The Holy Mountain is meant to be pointless, hence the ending. Don't feel bad for not "getting" it. Try watching it on LSD if you really want to get it

It doesn't even look real

I love old boy,The Handmaiden,Memories of murder,I saw the devil,The chaser and the wailong.

All of them are great modern arthouse films

>Let's find out who has the best ass of both boys and girls!
>lol a boy has it
fucking gay faggot glad Pasoloni got murdered.

Jodorowsky is a hack.

BASED

yes, i'm sure pasolini made the film because he agrees with those aristocrats so much

>Oldboy
>The Handmaiden
>Memories of Murder
Can these really be considered arthouse? They're all very straightforward

but muh subtitles

So you mean Asian thrillers? Burning, The Yellow Sea, Bittersweet Life, The Man from Nowhere, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Mother, Takashi Miike films, New World, Johnnie To films, Bedevilled

Call me a pleb; I don't give a fuck, but I loved Mandy. That combination of arthouse and grindhouse needs to become more of a thing.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1500x2400, 750K)

There's nothing TOO get. It's just random nonsense.

Really enjoyed this movie although I couldn't tell you why

It's good, i still prefer La Notte and L'eclisse.

Attached: la-notte-1961-michelangelo-antonioni-09.jpg (1400x788, 281K)

Watched A Brigther Sumner Day last night, great movie full of layers. I really grew to like the caracteres, the ending was fucked up though. Thanks to user that rec this one.

Watch the terrorizers next, it's probably my favorite of his

I like all of Yang's films except for Taipei Story. Yi Yi, ABSD and Terrorizers are my favourites from him. Definitely check out the rest of his filmography.

Has anyone seen Stations of the Cross? German film, gonna see it soon. Also the Anne Frank film from 2016.

As an incel, will I get triggered if I watch La Belle Noiseuse?

Also, with this in mind, where to start with Rohmer?

I didn't like Like Someone in Love, I'll check out Certified Copy someday. His '90s Iranian films are fascinating -- that kind of cinema tends to be very meta and incredibly blurs the line between reality and fiction.
His films Closeup, A Taste of Cherry, and Ten are worth watching. And for further viewing, check out The Mirror, Taxi, A Moment of Innocence, and Salaam Cinema.

Forget to mention the Koker trilogy, it's also amazing (though I fucked up and watched it out of order).

add Parasite to the list. I saw it on the weekend, get hyped, people

You may get triggered since Emmanuelle Beart is naked through a large portion of the film.

Just go chronologically, you can start with The Bakery Girl of Monceau.

That's good to hear. Really looking forward to that one. Korean rip when?

>op literally posts Rivette
>le meme neon Mandy

I'm looking for a film that is briefly shown in Histoire du Cinema maybe you guys can help.....

The scene is in color and has a women in a red dress(?) crawling on the ground towards a gun I believe(?). It's repeated throughout episodes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Why didn't you start with his stuff from the 90's???

Still the most recent thing I watched was Refn's "TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG" of which I fast forwarded 60% since it was just

> muh slow cinemumz no characters and drama 4u

But slow cinema is pretty great Angelopoulos, Tarr, Tarkovsky and Tsai Ming Liang are all good.

I should really finish one of their films someday.

Which one did you try to watch?

I've only just watched 1-2 minutes of each.

Are you the user who have seen 2 minutes of Angelopoulos and claimed that he is better than Tarkovsky or something like that?

Yes; we meet again!

Attached: 1530635075885.jpg (1920x1040, 210K)

Kek, yes we have met several times already. I liked Too Old to Die Young, especially episode 5, the car chase scene was pretty good.

I ain't gonna lie I was half-baiting and ridiculing some of the more glowing reviews it got. I really enjoyed its shadows, colors and autistic camera. Refn has good eye. This was the second Refn film I've seen, Drive being the other one.

Attached: 1559368835677.jpg (1920x1040, 203K)

I disagree with people claiming that it's a masterpiece, that's really not the case. The digital blood looked like shit. Pusher trilogy is pretty good, it shows that refn is able to have normal, non-autistic character as a lead.

saw this awhile back. it's a weird one to be sure.

> The digital blood looked like shit
Had a bit of a giggle when one of the gangsters gets shot in a drive-by by the motorcyclist.

I'll probably rewatch it soon enough, I didn't really let myself appreciate the slowness of it all.

Attached: 1549242430799.jpg (1920x1040, 121K)

I thought the ending of episode 2 was funny, the digital blood was done so sloppily that it undermined the whole execution scene.

Thoughts of Fassbinder?

I really liked Ali and Petra von Kant, but I didn't care at all for Chinese Roulette (stilted intellectual melodrama that doesn't go anywhere beyond making fun of the conceitedness of bourgeois society) or the Merchant of Four Seasons
World on a Wire is decent overall, but the second part shows that he couldn't pull thrillers (actions scenes and build-up being awkward and anticlimactic). I enjoyed The 13th Floor much more.
BRD trilogy Lola>Maria Braun>Veronika Voss
Looking forward to seeing A Year with 13 Moons and Fox and Friends

>French
>Cohen Media Group
let me guess it has shitload of degeneracy

Not really, it's great and complex film about artistic process of a painter. I don't think Rivette made films with shitload of degeneracy.
I think Berlin Alexanderplatz is his masterpiece. I'm not a big fan Ali. Fox and His Friends, Petra Von Kant, Maria Braun, Veronika Moss, Lola, World on Wire and Eight Hours Don't Make a Day are all really good too. Querelle and Satan's Brew i didn't like at all. The faggotry in Querelle was unbearable.

I wanked to prime emmanuelle bert posing in all sorts of sexy positions for half an hour. It was pretty good.

Slow cinema is, Refn is not.

Fox and his Friends is really good, I really love the final scene of the film.

Maria Braun > Lola >>>> Veronika Voss

Just watched A Zed and Two Noughts. I wasn't a huge fan of The Draughtsman's Contract (the other Greenaway movie I've seen) but I found this one pretty intriguing. I really loved the cinematography, you can tell with his gorgously composed wide shot tableaus how influenced he is by painting. I think I'm going to keep going chronologically through his work, I'll get to The Falls later since it seems to be an outlier in his filmography.

recently watched aguirre
a masterpiece, werner herzog is a god

now watch stroszek and heart of glass

It's good to go chronologically with him, you can see how he develops. Later on his films become more inaccessible i would say. Something like Prospero's Book is very interesting. Greenaway + Sacha Vierny + Michael Nyman = kino

Attached: MV5BOTlmZjMxMzctMmE0MS00NmI1LTg5NTktNjc5ODY1ZDg3NmE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIyNzY1NzM@._V1_.jpg (1101x1600, 320K)

I have never watched arthouse films. Are there any that explore nihilism or existentialism?

about 90% of them feature nihilism if you arent being sarcastic

I think it's one of the most boring movies I've ever watched.

Why? Have you seen the rest of the trilogy?

Not being sarcastic. Can you recommend me some that you find good or interesting?

>THE BEST FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN
>about the struggles of mongolian horse riders in an increasingly urbanized society and the specific implications on masculinity, femininity and pan-nationalism

lol at dishonest posters

Werckmeister Harmonies, The Turin Horse, L'Avventura, Red Desert, La Dolce Vita, Eternity and a Day

Kolya

Very nice film.

Thank you, I'll track these down asap

Werckmeister Harmonies, The Turin Horse and Eternity and a Day use lot of long takes so be prepared for that.

his best for me is antichrist, it's the best rendition of true depression and desolation i've ever watched, complete soul and emotion

LA JETÉE
A

J
E
T
É
E

I actually enjoy long takes, at least those I have seen in not arthouse films

kinopill me on Rivette and Antonioni
the only Rivette I've seen was le pont du nord, was pretty underwhelming desu
from Antonioni I think I've only watched Zebrynski Point, which I enjoyed

This is mainly Godard. Truffaut is based

>Antonioni
blowup is a relatively easy watch

Watched Man Bites Dog at the recommendation of someone from an earlier thread, really enjoyed it. The main actor was excellent at playing an autist who wanted to look cool.
The scene where he's in the shootout and orders the cameraman to go around the corner to look (right after the sound guy gets killed) was hilarious, that and when he killed the rival serial killer and found out he'd had a camera crew following him as well.

I’ve been watching a lot of Mikio Naruse lately, I’ve been enjoying it a lot to my surprise considering I usually hate humanistic dramas with an extreme passion. The movie has to have some sort of extraordinary themes or phenomena happening, just even if it’s a small implication of some sort of greater faith for me to consider it ‘kino’. I’d recommend Rehearsals for Retirment as something quick to watch, it’s a 13 minute short film shot entirely in the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas game engine, its a tribute to the directors dead friend, it feels like you’re viewing an actual journey into the afterlife happening in real time. Nainsukh and The Unkown Craftsmen are a must watch as well. Amit Dutta really knows how to reel himself in with this sort of ironic mirthful visual literacy that he displays, his movies have real wit and heart but not in some faggy reddit way. Here’s everything I’ve watched in the past couple days (also pls add me on Letterboxd)

Attached: D6CEF227-B43F-48E0-8649-55C480EF6905.jpg (750x1258, 338K)

Zabriskie Point is one of his weakest ones. I love pretty much most of his flicks, one of the best arthouse filmmakers defo.

she's mesmerizingly beautiful in black and white.

Anyone find Lynch's cult like fanbase disturbing?

Kino is going to put out a blu ray of Lost Highway and this asshole puts out a tweet saying essentially "This version is shit, doesn't use the original camera negate, don't buy"

Turns out Kino contacted this twat to oversee a 4k transfer from the OG negative and he either told them to fuck off or never responded.

Of course Kino is getting shit on because of this by his cult but, it seems like this was on Lynch.

I'm gonna watch it
zebrinksie reminded me a lot of lumet and cassavettes for some reason
cassavettes for me is maybe the most underrated director, I've only watched 2 of him and they were completely amazing, the kind of movie you sit through the credits just thinking about what you've seen
I was in that thread, I guess I'll watch it too now

Here the long takes are like people walking for 5 minutes. Tarr who made Werckmeister Harmonies and The Turin Horse uses long takes to put you into sort of hypnotic state where you don't perceive time and space so you can completely immerse yourself into the film. If you want to watch Tarr start with Werckmeister it has some sort of plot.
I thought Le Pond du Nord was good. I really like Rivette, check out Celine and Julie Go Boating, La Belle Noiseuse and The Story of Marie and Julien.
Antonioni you can watch Il Grido then the alienation trilogy. It's highly subjective but i prefer La Notte and L'eclisse which are masterpieces to L'Avventura which is a bit dull. Red Desert is also good. Blow-up is interesting, if you have seen The Conversation and Blow Out you might see how Antonioni influenced those films. The Passenger was decent although i have to admit i was lost at some points.

It's great dark comedy, like a more absurd American Psycho in a lot of ways

Sans Soleil desu

Jodorowsky blows.

I tried watching it and gave up around halfway through. Not my thing at all.

Go to bed, Mike.

Anybody here seen Joao Cesar Monteiro films? Vai e Vem, As Bodas de Deus, God's Comedy, Hovering Over the Water and Recollections of the Yellow House are all pretty great.

Attached: #DR_joao_cesar_monteiro.jpg (1160x773, 611K)

are you portuguese? he's not very well known
the only portuguese I know is Manoel, also know pedro costa but fuck that noise

No, i just heard he is good so i seeked his films out. Manoel is also good but he can be hit and miss. Costa makes interesting films but i haven't seen everything from him. In Vanda's Room was really good.

what's wrong with costa?

I saw horse money and completely despised it, what was that thing even

In Vanda's Room and Colossal Youth are quite good.

Attached: p19461_v_v8_aa.jpg (960x1440, 185K)

Is there tits ?

Yes, ass too.