Movie was criticized and received little attention on release

>movie was criticized and received little attention on release
>now its considered great
Shouldn't we judge films in the context from which they were released (and rightfully see them as bad) or are film criitcs just as dumb then as they are now
movie related.

Attached: wonka.png (747x668, 1.03M)

Some movies never recover for middling intial reviews despite being masterpieces

Attached: short_cuts_ver3.jpg (492x755, 73K)

Depp>wilder

I was alive at the time.
Willy Wonka was considered a good kids movie.

short answer is ‘no’

based zoomer

wilder was wilder, depp actually said something

>Gene Siskel gave the film two stars out of four, writing, "Anticipation of what Wonka's factory is like is so well developed that its eventual appearance is a terrible letdown. Sure enough there is a chocolate river, but it looks too much like the Chicago River to be appealing. The quality of the color photography is flat. The other items in Wonka's factory — bubblegum trees and lollypop flowers — also look cheap. Nothing in the factory is appealing."
>...but thought the songs were "instantly forgettable" and that the factory looked "a lot more literal and industrial and less empathic than it might have".[23] Variety called the film "an okay family musical fantasy" that had "good" performances but lacked any tunes that were "especially rousing or memorable".[24]
>Dahl disowned the film, the script of which was partially rewritten by David Seltzer after Dahl failed to meet deadlines. Dahl said he was "disappointed" because "he thought it placed too much emphasis on Willy Wonka and not enough on Charlie"

Stupid zoomer. But if I was in your shoes, I'd probably also think the same thing.
Still wrong though.

Literally the biggest crime in all of cinema. One of the greatest movies ever made, and studio meddling along with idiot critics ruined Cimino's career.

Attached: 81vXq68NyrL._SX342_.jpg (342x425, 26K)

>caring about critics
As a kid, all my friends liked it, and the parents said they liked it too.

OOMPA LOOMPA DOOPITY DOO

I guarantee you that this (the extended cut) will be remembered as one of the best capeshit films ever made. Seriously, not memeing. I honestly believe this.

Attached: BvS_Intro.jpg (900x794, 163K)

This shit gave me the most autistic fetish 10/10 the critics were wrong

what fetish

Attached: brats.png (705x667, 1.07M)

you judge them on every thing in every context.

Attached: retard.jpg (1920x1080, 251K)

Attached: this_bitch_and_her_anal_beads_better_shut_her_fucking_face.webm (1440x810, 1.8M)

EXPANSION

I agree OP.

BvS was criticized upon release. I think your thread finally proves that it was always a great movie. People just needed to warm up to it a little.

Seen it so many times I can hear the words being said in the webm.

MikeTV did literally nothing wrong in that one.

I want to fuck a blueberry, started schlicking it to that scene when I was five.
>ywn bring a drunk, obnoxious girl home from the bar
>ywn feed her three course gum and watch her blow up
>ywn tease her and climb up her round body so that she can perform oral out of her cute little head indent
>ywn watch her cum blueberry juice as she begins to enjoy her predicament
I want to die

disagree

seek help

Attached: ohai.webm (1920x800, 1.76M)

great scene

That random scene where the dude tells the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate was hilarious.

I whole-heartedly adore both versions. This post is probably just bait, but big respect if opinion is true.

both were good

Exactly. I like the contrast between the two. It was an interesting premise to potray Wonka coming from a troubled childhood—easy to mess up, but Burton really executed it well.

If Brazil had a happy ending

Attached: Hudsucker Proxy.jpg (675x1000, 112K)

if by troubled childhood you mean whiteer michael jackson maybe.

This was a strange, strange movie... where are they? Dickensian London? Germany?
Pictures of Martin Bormann? And inside jokes about Rachmaninoff? WTF

America.
I'm always reminded of Hershey, Pennsylvania by the movie.

>Shouldn't we judge films in the context from which they were released
what?

shut the fuck up retard, get off my board.

the setting was really great, ambiguously late 19th/early20th century
>washer women
>roaming tinker carts
>paddle boat
>bicycle-wheeled-car

the music joke was that she was very obviously wrong about rachmaninoff, very characterful.

wtf is wrong with women

Holy fucking yikes

depp is a shit fucking actor and tim burton is a hack fuck, zoomer tranny.

Mike should have won the factory

If anything he seems like the kind of exceptional asshole that Depp Wonka would want as an heir

Mike was Burton's personal hate-boner for the nerds who pick apart plot holes in his films.