Best Dracula film, prove me wrong

Best Dracula film, prove me wrong

Attached: 51O7A3EjCqL[1].jpg (311x450, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=q9D74m628gQ
youtu.be/VqbagKqtbAQ
thedailybeast.com/bulgarias-vampire-graveyards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I can't!

Attached: dracula opening.jpg (1200x650, 66K)

Good vampire film but not Dracula. Too touching and missing the point of it's source.

The prologue is absolute kino. RIP Eiko Ishioka.

Attached: Hammer Time.gif (400x224, 1.7M)

Then name me a better film made from the source material

1931 is the best. The Coppola one is so fucking boring, unfocused, and messes with the source material in a strange way.

Attached: 3302e1018b35331afd9ba3f1c86b2651.jpg (1344x1025, 413K)

Nosferatu (1922)

1931 sucks ass, it's the absolute worst version of Dracula in every single concievable way

Nosferatu is a meme, people pretent to like it to seem like epic cinema lovers but it's really not special. The Cabinet of Doctor Caligary is way better

>great acting
>great atmosphere
>great pacing
>simplifies the story in a way that makes it easier to fit into a film, but still manages to be interesting
No, it's the best one

Nosferatu, the vampyre (1979)

I agree with you. In fact the only truly good early Universal horror is The Mummy, which is essentially a remake of their version of Dracula's story but way better. That said all those movies, even Dracula, have a real comfiness to them that only comes with b/w foggy moors and shit.

As for the best version of Dracula, I would argue that Herzog's Nosferatu is it. I find the original Nosferatu a bit dragging but Herzog and Kinski totally reinvigorate it and that ending is superb, not to mention all the rat plague stuff, just gorgeous

I like Dracula himself and Renfield but the movie is shit

>>great acting
Nice joke
>>great atmosphere
Only in then first ten minutes
>>great pacing
No
>>simplifies the story in a way that makes it easier to fit into a film, but still manages to be interesting
Simplifying something is always bad

DEAR MINA

>. In fact the only truly good early Universal horror is The Mummy, which is essentially a remake of their version of Dracula's story but way better.
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are kino, fag.

How about Hammer Dracula? I liked it but how does it compare to the source?

>great acting
>Nice joke
The acting isn't super realistic, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Are you implying the Coppola version has good acting?
>great atmosphere
>Only in then first ten minutes
It's really there throughout the whole film. Maybe not every scene, but it would get boring if every scene had the same mood.
>great pacing
>No
It moves along fairly slow, which adds to its atmosphere, and the lack of non diegetic music only makes it better.
>simplifies the story in a way that makes it easier to fit into a film, but still manages to be interesting
>Simplifying something is always bad
No

They could come close if they were cut together into one film, but separately they fail. Also The Wolfman has that comfy spooky atmosphere I mentioned but it doesn't hold up either, the protagonist's dilemma is poorly demonstrated. And Creature just plain sucks too except for the underwater shots and the suit design. Frankly the only Universal horror I genuinely love is The Creature Walks Among Us, now that is some good shit. Also you use the word kino and yet you're calling me a fag.

1977 bbc.

While not the best of movies, Dracula Untold was pretty nice in how it combined the supernatural vampire stuff with Vlad the Impaler and the Turks storyline. I don't really care what Dracula does after he gets to London.

>stuff with Vlad the Impaler and the Turks storyline
This. Everything before getting vampire powers was great.

Best Coppola film, prove me wrong.

Bloody wolves chasing me through some blue INFERNO

I liked the parts where Drac just fucks the Turks up by himself.

Apocalypse Now and The Godfather are good. Coppola's Dracula sucks ass, therefore it is not his best film

>Coppola Dracula very good. The best one

Attached: helmet.png (403x448, 53K)

these were the best draculas plus saxman

Attached: the-lost-boys.jpg (681x383, 90K)

youtube.com/watch?v=q9D74m628gQ

No

>t. actual plebs

I like some of them a lot, even if they all stray pretty heavily away from the novel. The actresses in them were also usually very hot

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-23-18h06m05s775.png (1920x960, 1.96M)

Vlad the Impaler kino coming through!
>youtu.be/VqbagKqtbAQ

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 40K)

Reminder that there is no piece of evidence that suggests that Dracula was based off of Vlad the Impaler, and it's very likely that Bram Stoker, given where and when he lived, never even knew about Vlad the Impaler.

Yeah, it was probably some other head of state who the Germans said drank blood and killed lots of people.

Stoker was really into mythology and legends. You can see this in "Jewel of Seven Stars" where he has shown his knowledge about Egypt and Egyptian mythology, customs, culture. I'm sure he would do some research for Dracula too.

I'm sure he did, but the name "Dracula" was given to a lot of people, not just Vlad the Impaler

Dracula lives in an ancient Romanian castle, won't shut up about his family's great lineage and is implied to be several centuries old.
He's also named Dracula, as in Vlad Dracula, as in Vlad the Impaler.

Who else was named Dracula, other than Vlad III of Wallachia?
You know, the viciously cruel ruler whose actions changed the colloquial meaning of "dracul" from dragon to devil.

makers of the film said that even though it is not mentioned in the movie that dracula hired Gustave Eiffel to create the steel and iron beams to reinforce his decaying castle in the decades before the movie starts

Attached: castle-dracula.jpg (1268x676, 146K)

This is what remains today of Vlad's actual fortress, Poenari. He supposedly had the wives and children of the nobles he killed build it. He didn't have much to do with Bran castle.

Attached: Cetatea-_Poenari-Citadel_8[1].jpg (750x393, 150K)

and here is castle Elizabeth Bathory

Attached: bathory.jpg (1780x1024, 246K)

Seems people really got upset over the blood thing and the murders.

would love a serious film about Carmilla AKA Countess Karnstein

Attached: tumblr_oenb86Czh21qaa3g3o1_1280.jpg (1280x1580, 162K)

There was The Vampire Lovers

>lesbian vampire story 20 years before Dracula
Is this where Stoker got his inspiration from?

I never understood people adding a "sexual" aspect to vampires, just them being hungry for blood like you simply being starved for days from food to me is alone interesting and terrifying enough

Yeah but you can have all that and also get to fuck the vampire so why not?

Stoker wasn't the 1st. Early vampire legends dating ancient Egypt or Greece. Stoker made vampire-crime novel. Dracula is like a modern (at the time of the release) investigation with supernatural bits.

but they are undead, i can understand needing blood as a way to keep the body functioning but i imagine any sexual aspects would be "dead" as well since they are no longer needed in that kind of state

I had a cool theory: sarcophagus' and mummy cases were not originally invented to preserve the body but to keep it locked inside in case the corpse came alive, this was a reaction to some ancient vampire outbreak in the ancient past that people in the egyptian and classical world still knew about and feared could happen again

That's unfortunately how the "official" sequel to Stoker's Dracula written by one of his descendants. He messed up the existing relationships from the first book and romanticised and sexualised Dracula. There are such moments in Bram Stoker's book but above all Dracula is supposed to be an abomination, literally the opposite of God's creation, anti-life. That's why Coppola's Dracula even though it's overall very faithful to the book seems so weird. Each adaptation has its merits and flaws I can't pick the best one. Nosferatu is basically a fanfic but is probably the spookiest.

You don't understand the concept of literary subtext?
You have to understand the stories that brought vampire myth to the western world were written when expressions of sexual abnormality were one of the most offensive things you could imagine. The sexual subtext is there, to prey on the fears of the contemporary reader.
More recent interpretations romanticise this aspect, mostly because society has grown more accepting of sexuality over the years.

I get what your saying but I want my vampires to be vampires, not damn symbolic representations of victorian morals blah blah blah

>sarcophagus' and mummy cases were not originally invented to preserve the body but to keep it locked inside in case the corpse came alive
not in egyptian case, egyptians were not afraid of death, they respected it as a part of cycle, another chapter - the only purpose was to keep body away from decaying because of external factors. however you are right about later beliefs. there were cages that had to 1) prevent tomb robbers from stealing bodies, 2) prevent undead from crawling out

Attached: grave-cage.jpg (500x333, 51K)

cool, reminds me of those graves in europe and new england where they used stones and stakes on suspected vampire graves and bodies

thedailybeast.com/bulgarias-vampire-graveyards

Cool, also regarding Egypt you mentioned few posts above. Egyptians respected body and well-preserved body was one of requirements for eternal life. The mummy was placed inside 2 or 3 coffins and then sealed inside heavy sarcophagus.
Egytians would've never destroyed or damaged body like in this Blugarian case however there were few exceptions. Burning was one of punishments as burned body could not access eternal life and...

Attached: mummy-layers.jpg (948x600, 118K)

...and there are rumors about another death penatly - being buried alive.
>A third theory, which remains popular to this day, was finally proposed, namely that Unknown Man E had been buried alive, probably for committing some terrible crime. Maspero even went so far as to suggest (in contradiction to his earlier 18'th Dynasty dating of the mummy) that Unknown Man E may actually be Pentewere, the 20'th Dynasty prince implicated in the famous harem conspiracy to assassinate Ramesses III. All the peculiar features of the burial seemed explicable given the assumption that Unknown Man E had been buried alive. His contorted expression, the fact that the organs had not been removed, the tightly bound wrappings, the taboo sheepskin, and the coffin lacking in the magical spells needed to safeguard the spirit of the deceased in the Underworld seemed to fit neatly with the theory of premature burial. (One could even interpret the two canes found with Unknown Man E as "bastinados" used to whip the soles of his feet during an interrogation prior to his premature burial.)
Unknown man E, also known as "the screaming mummy" is a very interesting case. unlike other mummies, this one had internal organs intact and has been wrapped in 'unholy' material. There were no magic spells in his coffin. Whoever it was, this was fate worse than death.

Attached: 2018_02_19_40850_1519015004._large.jpg (1360x1020, 289K)

>mfw Yea Forums has better vampire threads than /x/

Attached: peter.jpg (480x360, 22K)

Cool and creepy.

WE WAZ MUMMIEZ AND SHIET

Best Dracula is loli Kirsten Dunst.

this

I've always loved the Horror of Dracula. It isn't the most faithful, but it's the most comfy.

>comfy

Sexiest Winona

Attached: 93D229D0-A096-453E-B3D7-BED0C48408A9.jpg (854x1280, 120K)

What was Dracula's motive anyway?

>what was Dracula tax policy?

far from that

Attached: 1506272603619.png (676x2122, 607K)

Attached: idhql0.jpg (400x577, 31K)

Dracula is one of my favourite novels, this was absolute fucking shit, atrocious film.

>Elizabeth Báthory and Dracula were rumored to be vampires
>Nobody knows where their corpses, or even tombs, currently are

Attached: pepe-gun.jpg (250x250, 6K)

A baby every fortnight