Is this an accurate portrayal of these historical events?

Is this an accurate portrayal of these historical events?

Attached: 39115_-_768.jpg (640x360, 74K)

No, because the real historical accounts are a lot worse. Mark Antony was much less competent in real life than Rome portrayed him as, and was only really good as a general

no, we do not know a lot of detail and things that happened. it's just our imagination and speculation

You mean a lot better, shit they describe is fucking crazy. But yeah, Rome does change shit up tons, eliminating a crapton of characters, and even whitewashing a lot of them. Mark Antony being one, Caesar being another. Guy was a real bastard. A genius bastard (which they downplayed a lot in rome, if anything), I'd have followed him no problem at the time, but a bastard nonetheless.

>Caesar being another. Guy was a real bastard.

That would be a good thing desu. Came off like a real fag in the show

And what of good Solonius?

Attached: 1A28B4D0-6DFC-4371-96DF-BC2D917224B8.jpg (480x480, 26K)

> The most explicit recorded incidents of public sex involving humans and animals activity are associated with the murderous sadism, torture and rape of the Roman games and circus, in which it is estimated that several hundreds of thousands died. Masters reports: "Beasts were specially trained to copulate with women: if the girls or women were unwilling then the animal would attempt rape. A surprising range of creatures was used for such purposes - bulls, giraffes, leopards, cheetahs, wild boar, zebras, stallions, jackasses, huge dogs, apes, etc. The beasts were taught how to copulate with a human being [whether male or female] either via the vagina or via the anus." Representations of scenes from the sexual lives of the gods, such as Pasiphaƫ and the Bull, were highly popular, often causing extreme suffering, injury or death. On occasion, the more ferocious beasts were permitted to kill and (if desired) devour their victims afterwards.[8] Chimpanzees and mandrills, both in fact ferocious and very powerful species of primate: "made drunk by wine and inflamed by the odor of females of their kind, were loosed upon girls whose genitals had been drenched with the urine of female chimps and mandrills." The victims were often virgins and not infrequently young children. One spectacle is said to have included "a hundred tiny blonde girls being raped simultaneously by a horde of baboons."

Wanted to see this scene desu

No, Rome invented high pavements/side walks, as the streets were literally an open sewer. There was no sewerage in ancient Rome, and the people would literally throw shit from their windows down into the street. Rome was a disgusting shithole.

Think of every portrayal of the South in the American Civil War, they were always portrayed as ragged and undisciplined. That was actually what the Roman legions looked like, uniformity is a byproduct of the industrial age.

Sounds like a sick copypasta.

were Brutus and Caesar really close friends?
Wasn't it just based off Shakespeare?

It's not entirely factually accurate, but it's very true to the major events, lifestyle and design.

Attached: cryer treu romaning incredbly fast.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

why the fuck did you bring the American south into this?
Also, Romans were very hygienic and had a lot of infrastructure for water flow and personal care. They also slept with little boys like you tho.

Game of Thrones tier garbage.

DELUSIONAL

Sorry. I dropped the show as soon as I heard Romans speaking British

>literal christian propaganda

Almost had me

put yer trip back on supahotspastic

Don't pretend it isn't fucking disgusting. You have English speakers with completely different accents. The Greek with an Italian accent? Holy shit.

Why would they do this?

The Romans were fucking insane. The shit like this they did in the Colosseum is unbelievable, but I believe it. I believe people enjoyed watching it too.

uh, the organization and discipline of the Roman Legions is largely why the successfully defeated so many other armies, who would just haphazardly run at the Romans.

Truly an empire of the gods

Guys this is literal Christian propaganda. They went out of their way to portray the pre-Constantine Rome as decadent as possible.

>the organization and discipline of the Roman Legions is largely why the successfully defeated so many other armies
um, not exactly.
they defeated so many because of their amazing capability to adapt and copy others.
Similarly why the Normans were very good in battle

>There was no sewerage in ancient Rome
wrong
>and the people would literally throw shit from their windows down into the street.
wrong
>they were always portrayed as ragged and undisciplined. That was actually what the Roman legions looked like
Wrong. They didn't have uniforrms but they wore similar gear. It's like if the Army could wear the clothes they wanted under their armor. They weren't disheveled and undisciplined or anything. They were known for fighting as units, not individually like barbarians.

It was ancient entertainment, and they probably viewed the slaves (the rapees) as subhuman, allowing them not to care about how horrible their fate was.

Believe it or not, sanctity for human life is more cultural than natural. People in the middle ages similarly all came out to see criminals tortured and then executed. These would be some of the most entertaining things so see in those days. They didn't have TV/sports matches/the internet/etc.

No, they made Cleopatra into an Oriental whore instead of a charming Greek conversationalist so they could shoehorn in their fictional YASS BITCH Attia

That information was posited in 1972. No propaganda here.

>Oriental

Attached: 1551460501856.jpg (506x316, 58K)

The jews were just as corrupt as they were portrayed in ROME.

She was sexy as fuck

Attached: Cleopatra and Antony.png (1920x1080, 3.53M)

Not exactly. Vorenus and Pullo were real soldiers who distinguished themselves in in Caesar's campaigns in Gaul, but they didn't go Forrest Gumping through Roman history. Caesarion almost certainly didn't survive.

But the vaguest outlines of the story are historically accurate.
>Caesar conquers Gaul
>The Optimates in the Senate, with Pompey on their side, demand he turn himself over because his term as governor is expiring (to try him on BS charges and exile him of course)
>Caesar isn't interested so he crosses the Rubicon and makes a beeline towards Rome
>Optimates/Pompey retreat
>Caesar eventually goes east to fight Pompey directly (IRL he went to Spain first to smash Pompey's leaderless western legions)
>Pompey has the numerical/supply advantage but gets goaded into a battle with Caesar by his senate allies
>Caesar beats him because Caesar's legions are god-tier and he's got really good cavalry
>Caesar then goes and wins in North Africa, Cato kills himself, the war is basically over (IRL he had to go back to Spain to finish off Labienus)
>Caesar goes home and celebrates 3 triumphs
>Ides of March

So it's real history, but the show gives us a more dramatic/condensed version, mostly from the PoV of the "common man".

Why don't you try reading a book rather than asking la/tv/ians about real history?

Never heard of that. In fact, I've read the opposite--that the German tribes were able to sack Rome by copying Roman tactics/organization. I'm not a historian though, so I'll have to bow out.

>the organization and discipline of the Roman Legions is largely why the successfully defeated so many other armies
>they defeated so many because of their amazing capability to adapt and copy others.
Those two things aren't mutually exclusive though. They adapted/improved on Greek tactics to defeat the Samnites and later the Greeks themselves

I really dislike when tv/film makes young kids super smart, like young Octavius. It feels so fake.

>No, they made Cleopatra into an Oriental whore instead of a charming Greek conversationalist
If you think that HBO Cleopatra didn't look Greek then you must have never seen a Greek person in your life. Short girl, dark tan, dark brown hair, European features, she looked Greek as fuck.

They were going for that cool factor, bro. What was probably some cunning dickhead with a cool sounding name was modeled into a political prodigy.

I hate how it made Agrippa's entire plot become a teenage love story

>young kids
Wasn't he a teenager even in season 1? I don't think it's too crazy to think that one of the greatest statesmen in human history was pretty smart when he was 14 or 15 (IRL I think he would have been 14 when Caesar crossed the Rubicon).

It's not the ethnicity, it's the way she acts that is HBO sensationalism.

BASED good solonius poster

>it's the way she acts that is HBO sensationalism
What do you mean? Her being a massive whore? Because she had a kid with Caesar and three kids with Antony.

Cleopatra was the most autistic portrayal

Bullshit, the romans did not even have half those animals.

Based good Solonius poster

there are definitely some myths about the colosseum. some believe they had naval fights in the thing

>some believe they had naval fights in the thing
That actually happened. Pretty cool stuff.

Seething fedora

>ancient italy
>white

it's not accurate at all

I believed it until I went there and noticed how shallow the water would be.

>Inbred Absolute Monarch who thinks she's a God and literally want for nothing is a sociopathic, drug-addled, whore

Nope sounds right to me. All of the successor Kingdom royalty was pretty degenerate by the time the Romans came to power.

fair point. but his command of the English language alone was as good as a professional, smart 40 yo writer/editor with an MA or PhD. Doesn't come off right when a 13 yo speaks like that. Concise, precise, accurate--near perfect. He speaks better at that age than many world leaders do now.

the naval fights and hundreds of animals vs. slaves are myths? source? not to doubt you

To be fair, by Ancient Standard you probably could be as educated as the rest of societies elites by your teens. Especially if you are a once in a millenia mind like Octavian.

>normans
the normans were good in battle because of an organized system for putting heavily armored men on horseback, they copied traditions of living in the places they conquered but never their battle tactics

I was told on a tour of the place they did have animals underneath. They even said giraffes but that would be a stretch (unless it was an infant).
like I said on another post I just doubt the naval battles in there. the first row of spectators is less than 6ft high from the floor of the pit. let alone keeping it all watertight from everyone underneath with all the doors they had for the dozen or so animals and gladiators. Their chambers, gym etc were all underneath

>but his command of the English language alone was as good as a professional, smart 40 yo writer/editor with an MA or PhD. Doesn't come off right when a 13 yo speaks like that. Concise, precise, accurate--near perfect. He speaks better at that age than many world leaders do now
Education was different back then, though. They ruthlessly drilled children to speak flawlessly at the expense of most other educational fields that we would consider relevant. Rhetoric was a massive deal. Also, the elite had an incredibly high-quality education, so young Octavian/Augustus would have had the absolute best tutors in every possible field. On top of that, Augustus was incredibly smart already. When you combine
>an extreme emphasis on precise/correct speech
>literally all the best teachers in the known world
>an insanely smart, once-in-a-generation genius like Augustus
It's not so hard to believe that he would be speaking so "perfectly" at a relatively young age.

good to know. I work in publishing myself, so I notice his excellent diction, usage, conciseness, clarity, etc more than the average person would.

Well, as I remember it, Caesar made Augustus his heir after something like one meeting with the kid? He must've been impressive far beyond the usual to leave that kind of an impression on one of the most impressive figures in history. And, as it turned out, that judgement was totally on the money, Augustus being such a competent ruler he's attributed by many for the surprisingly smooth transition from republic to empire, reigning for 40 years.

Point is, it would be stranger if Octavian *didn't* stand out as very impressive.

he had an impressive boipusi

>surprisingly smooth transition from republic to empire,
what transition? I thought he just said he would be a dormant imperator, which already existed in the republic, and the senate still ruled?

sure man, I bet that's exactly what those senators told themselves when they went to sleep at night

Was Cleo really a pot smoking, hedonistic, tomboy?

>believing Octavian propaganda

>surprisingly smooth transition from republic to empire
A massive, decades spanning, continent wide civil war that consumed the lives of tens of thousands of lives.
>smooth
dude, it was Russian Civil War tier.

but that is literally what Augustus did. He and Agrippa went on to improve Rome's quality of life without the senate's help yeah but he didn't overrule them constantly.

>the surprisingly smooth transition from republic to empire, reigning for 40 years.
>surprisingly smooth
This was a process started more than 50 years before Augustus was even born. It involved 3 civil wars. In what universe is this "surprisingly smooth"?

Apparently she died of an overdose

Yeah, 'cuz he wasn't an idiot. He allowed the charade to go on, even as he held all the real power. I forget the specifics, but he made sure he personally controlled enough territories and legions in italy that there was zero chance the senate could do shit to oppose anything he actually wanted to accomplish. You could pretend he was bound by laws, but in the words of Pompey Magnus: "Don't quote laws to men who have swords".

Well, for starters he didn't have a dozen pretenders standing in line to attempt to overthrow him, the senate or people didn't try to kill him constantly, his heir ascended without issue, etc.

HE

WUZ

>his heir ascended without issue
are you referring to Augustus' heir?
the man who had literally the worst possible luck when it came to heirs and was given no option but give it to his wife's son?
(not that Tiberius was shit. he was a brilliant war hero)

Shit ruler who hid away on his island and fucked babies

>>Caesar isn't interested so he crosses the Rubicon and makes a beeline towards Rome
There were months of negotiating between caesar and the senate, they came close to making a deal once or twice. He also didn't rush to Rome, he spent a few months conquering towns in northern Italy and waiting for his other legions to arrive, he had time to kill because Pompey had no manpower in Italy.

>and even whitewashing a lot of them. Mark Antony being one, Caesar being another

Attached: 1482881030264.jpg (337x367, 23K)

one of the most successful indoctrination techniques christianity ever achieved was convincing the masses that they were helpless victims being slaughtered and fed to lions and such. in fact playing victim of persecution has become a big part of their identity. just look at the man they worship strung up on a roman cross. whenever an oppressed faction or minority gains a foothold in government, it's christians who are usually right there crying and protesting that they are the ones being abused by others gaining a little represention and equality

He means whitewashing as in portraying them as nicer than they really were not the racial meaning idiot

So were Caesar and Pompey really old besties as the show portrayed?

>hid away on his island
for the last 10 years after he became incredibly superstitious
>fucked babies
according to Caligula. Need I say more on that..

Tiberius was a great war hero who salvaged the fuck up against the germans

>caligula
a trust worthy man who's reputation was ruined by claudius after his coup

>Cleopatra into an Oriental whore

Attached: velmaxx.jpg (652x529, 48K)

There isn't anything that would suggest they were close other than obviously Caesar banging his mom. There are some who think Brutus may have been engaged to Julia before Caesar gave her to Pompey but if anything that would only show that Brutus probably hated Caesar for years and years before the civil war. I guess Shakespeare just mixed Marcus and Decimus Brutus into one person.

>t. room temperature iq brainlet

how he conquer all of egypt with 20 good men?

Not really, they were political allies but not friends, they weren't consul at the same time like the show suggests.
He was pretty much under siege for months, a roman ally brought a huge army, caesar escaped alexandria, met up with the army and defeated the egyptians in battle with it.

>people believe all the fake news spread about Tiberius/Nero/Caligula by their enemies
>2000 years from now people will believe Drumpf fucked babies