Fly me to the Moon and let me play amongst the stars

>fly me to the Moon and let me play amongst the stars.

Attached: neon-genesis.jpg (1024x683, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4hHwFk7webA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God that was disappointing.

*blocks your path*

Attached: meta-image-netflix-symbol-black.png (1200x630, 21K)

Congratulations

>friend wants to sing Fly Me to the Moon at karaoke
Thank god I stopped him

Tbh that's a really cringy song to sing unless your really good

Ya moon river is better

>spend huge amounts of money acquiring streaming rights and redubbing NGE
>can't even get the rights to 1 (one) track so core to the atmosphere of the series
It's a remix anyway, not even the original

Do you like NGE?

Moon River was actually designed to be a song easily sung by people not good at singing ie. Audrey Hepburn

best part of the new dub

Yes. It's one of my favorite shows and End of Evangelion is by far my favorite movie

couldnt get a license for a frank sinatra song lmao

>FRY ME TO DA MOONG
>AHN RET ME PRAY AMONG DA STARR

Does this show get better? I'm on episode 4 and this shit is boring as hell. The animation is good but I'm not gonna watch 10 hours of "durr can he beat le bad guy?????" because of the animation. Is there an actual story here?

I am NGE

Never understood this series. Only know about it from MUGEN. Is it worth a watch at all

it does get better, exponentially if you ask me. i have no idea why they had all this pointless meandering in the beginning half of the show

if you don't like anime and/or have never gotten into /m/echa, it's not good

The show is slow throughout. It's very much dialog-driven. Even in the action scenes all through the whole show.

It does get better around episode 18, but if you aren't listening and actively noting what they are saying up until that point I'm afraid you will have no idea what's going on

>Only know about it from MUGEN
What sort of insane alien boomer are you?

Yes. it's fantastic and one of the best pieces of media in our time

Those aren't prerequisites. Anecdotal evidence, but I watched and loved NGE without having seen a single anime/mecha series. Anno makes evident critique of those, but a lot of themes in Eva really go beyond the medium.

I watched a lot of anime on Cartoon Network when I was a kid, but I've never been really into it. People I've known and respected IRL have hyped this shit up, and I'm a little disappointed. Maybe I don't get the payoff until End of Evangelion. Do I need to have seen the show before I see that movie?

Wait for the second half and EoE where it goes nice and schizo and earns its rep

Definitely. The movie only functions as the shows finale.

Just push through it user. The show can be tricky the first time through with how slow it is. And you aren't even what are considered the hard to watch episodes yet (~8-16).
The payoff is absolutely worth it though. Just make sure that even if you aren't enjoying it, you are listening to the dialog and paying attention to what's happening. what sounds like technobabble actually ends up being very important.

the story of shinji is trash and only appeals to angsty teenagers

I don't know how far you are, but the series begins to change tone A LOT from halfway onwards. Personally, the fighting scenes didn't interest me that much, but the later character development did.

What version are you watching? Japanese? Netflix?

Or anyone who has ever been an angsty teenager.

Shinji is very relatable to anyone who grew up with depression.

are they different? I'm watching it with English subs on Netflix.

I was depressed from 14 on and Shinji's a little shit as far as I can tell.

too bad shinji isnt depressed and just a pussy

I find that the new Netflix dub is the most accessible of all the versions if you don't mind switching over

>Are they different
The dialog is different between the alternate translations. There is the ADV translation and the Netflix one

>Watching the sub
You really shouldn't be doing that your first time through. If you switch over to the dub you will probably have an easier time, and you will retain the information that's important later on better. That's just my two cents though

>Shinjis a little shit as far as I can tell
He becomes much more relatable later on

dubs are gay

Those anons are right though. There is so much important shit in Eva that will go over your head if you aren't paying explicit attention. I can see the logic in watching the dub first

off by one

Attached: 1424852199215.jpg (332x456, 22K)

just let him, we often sing sinatra shit just for fun
>that time friend picked sinatra's version of new york and everyone started singing out loud
it was a based night at the karaoke desu

well I'm only 3 episodes in and it doesn't seem that dense. There's an suborganization of the UN called NERV that makes big robots to defend Tokyo 3 (and the world) from weird genitalia monsters called Angels. Did I miss anything?

Important bits of dialog between characters are more important than that stuff.

It will get more complicated later on, but if you feel like you will be comfortable, power to you.

Ah well the only thing I've noticed so far is his dad is a based scientist who doesn't care about his gay son and that purple-haired Captain is pretending to be cheerful.

I guess I'll try to pay closer attention to the relationships. However, if there's not a payoff, I'll be back on this site in 12 or so hours and complain about it.

Fŕai mì tsu da můn an rèt mī pray aműng da srař

cringe

Everything means something, even the incessant cicada chirping. Just appreciate the pace, the stillness, think about what the characters are saying and doing and pay attention to background details

Family guy seems more your speed so maybe just stick to that

stop cringing at me. I'm cool and make good posts and you're not allowed to do that.

How highly do you rate good direction and cinematography in films?

Eva is to classic shonen mecha shows what Watchmen was to classic comics. It starts out as a slow-burning slew of super robot tropes set in a more or less real robot sort of universe, and doesn't get good until it starts deconstructing the premise.

It's very similar to NuBSG in that regard, only the iconic source material that NGE is riffing on is less well-known in the west than the Star Trek Voyager/old BSG/Star Wars tropes that Moore was playing with in NuBSG were.

EoE is also massively overrated. The best NGE ending was the manga one, followed by the OG show ending.

>incessant cicada chirping
comfy af, literally the first thing that comes to mind every time I think of the show.

It's pleb to admit this, but my favorite movie is Days of Heaven.

These

There's been like four characters so far.

Sneeeed me to the Chuuuck and let me fuuuuck among the suuuuck

I’ve never heard of it, so you’re off to a good start

The show doesn't really start rolling until Asuka shows up. Everything up until that is just exposition and establishing the setting.

>and this shit is boring as hell
You ain't seen nothing yet.
The climax of the series is the characters sitting in an empty room monologuing.

>watches 4 episodes of a show, stops it and goes on Yea Forums
>durrr will I like it what will happen lol
Just watch it you retard.

Better than the Sinatra version.

>Days of Heaven is now considered pleb
Maybe if this board was /criterion/ rather than /capeshit/ but we're not there yet user

>I'm on episode 4
Skip to 19
Nothing of importance happens until it

Asuka Strikes is objectively the worst episode
>dumb anime tropes
>annoying characters
>dumb comedy
>weak fight scene

Kek

Episode 9 is the most kino episode.
Prove me wrong.

is her voice any more tolerable in the Netflix dub?

everything that doesnt involve gendo and his dealings with seele is fluff and irrelevant

Her voice is based in ADV
Netflix dub not so much

Yeah considerably

Yes but nostalgiafags are going to tell you that the adv is better

Fly me to the farm
And let me feed upon the seed
Let me see what sneed's was like when it was formerly chuck's
In other words, fuck and suck

Asuka Strikes may be steaming dogshit, but it sets the stage for the /comfy/ middle act of the show which is arguably the best part of it.

The show has the "it gets good halfway through" trope. The first several episodes are just for introducing characters

Are you *fucking* kidding? 8-15 is the worst stretch of the show. It only really gets good from 16-24.
>muh comfy
Watch another show.

Literally the exact post I was going to make. Thank you for saving me the trouble

based

I never really clicked totally with it myself. I mean, I like it (and Rei), but I never got the popularity.

Though Evangelion is an amazing subversion of what was, I belive, very common mecha and anime formula in its day. Why is Shinji such an obnoxious wuss? It's a more gritty and realistic total reversal of the traditional mecha pilot protagonist. Hot blooded, inexplicable ace pilot despite being a kind of stupid every man, biggest believer in the cause that rouses others with his enthusiasm, loves to fight, understands mecha battles are cool as hell, special bloodline that he has to live up to, so on and such. Hell, in Eva piloting mechs is a literal torturous experience because you feel all the pain the robots do.

The series makes a lot more sense when you think of that. I don't know why western anime fans love it so much outside of its context though.

It didn't click with me all the way until EoE. I still rewatch EoE every now and then, but I've never felt a need to rewatch the rest of the series.

>manga

Attached: 1555113334464.gif (517x328, 1.69M)

It's definitely not better than EoE, but the manga ending is definitely nothing to be overlooked.

Attached: 0185c59da5c8318c769df74e17d7705827dfce58_315937_869_1322.jpg (869x1322, 336K)

The edgy shit from Bardiel onwards is meaningless without shattering the /comfy/ new normal that Shinji finds in episodes 8-15.

Episode 9 is one of the best. 10-15 are terrible.

I lost interest when the adam embryo gave gendo superpowers.

it has the best aesthetics its like star wars. every other overhyped anime has cringe aesthetics that date badly

Cliff's notes:
>The EoE ending happens more or less as it does in EoE
>3rd impact begins, everyone tangs, but it cuts to Shinji's POV where basically the show ending happens, with a little EoE weirdness thrown in.
>Shinji rejects instrumentality and the world un-tangs, only it reforms back to the present, but as if the 2nd impact had never happened.
>World goes on as usual, but only Shinji has any memory of Eva's, NERV, etc.
>As he looks out the window, he notices one of the massive cruciform monoliths of unknown origin that randomly litter Japan for some reason. (See: )
>The end.

Good call, 9 is pretty great. After that, everything up until Suzihara becoming the fourth children is boring.

What did Russian Yea Forums mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=4hHwFk7webA

Attached: 154238973924290.jpg (164x164, 15K)

yeah

For me it's episode 21

Attached: Birth of NERV.png (720x480, 199K)

This song at the end of the show somehow touches my soul. I can't put into words the emotional effect it has on me. To remove it from the show is outrageous.

I agree, but the real tragedy is the absence of Those Women Longed for the Touch of Others' Lips, and Thus Invited Their Kisses in the Misato/Kaji scenes. It's just fucking ridiculous.

>not episode 22
Sidenote: episode 22 was kind of ruined by the new dub. Tiffany Grant's original performance was so good.

Attached: jc2YA5Yg.jpg (728x546, 43K)

i feel like tiffany is really good at monologing but not so good in the social scenes, and the new actress is the complete opposite

Bump

Amazing taste

Bingo

Same

For me, it's episode 19

It turns into a fucking body+psychological horror

The show doesn't really start rolling until Ramiel appears and Shinji has all the stuff with Rei. Brought in the hedgehog dilemma stuff, had Shinji actually be assertive, brought in various intriguing things. It was sugnificant enough they beefed the whole thing up in the Rebuild movie

The real good shit doesn't happen until around halfway, though.

Their early work was a little too standard monster-of-the-week for my tastes, but when End of Evangelion came out in ‘97, I think it really came into its own, commercially and artistically. The whole movie has a clear, crisp animation, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the film a big boost. It’s been compared to David Lynch works, but I think Hideaki Anno has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

Woah such a badass here. I'm sure in the same situation, you'd be skipping into the giant robot to fight the giant alien monsters that can kill you and fuck things up. Such a Alpha Chad.

it's called being based and redpilled, kid. Maybe you should try it some time.

>I would totally risk my life to fight aliens for all of humanity at the same time I was wondering what to do about my constant boners
lol sure bud

>I don't know why western anime fans love it so much outside of its context though.
I think Adult Swim helped. That was my 1st experience with it. A lot of Adult Swim and Toonami anime are super popular in western circles.

the fact that you wouldn't says a lot about you

>I would have been the most bad ass person at 14 ever if I was only given the chance
kek, now tell me about all the girls you could have fucked if you really tried

t.autist

How do you design a song easy for people to sing?

>now tell me about all the girls you could have fucked if you really tried
easily, hundreds. I was just too busy working on becoming a Rhodes scholar to care.

>Rhodes scholar
I'm stealing that. I was trying to tell people it was always too big to fit in but I don't think it was very convincing.

glad I could contribute to the meta

It's a shame but for western audiences it is very jarring when you hear it - especially after the more head fuck episodes.

FRYYY ME TO THE MOON AND RET ME PRAAAY AMONGST THE STALS

I ROOV UUUU

CONGRATULATIONS

>Hot blooded, inexplicable ace pilot despite being a kind of stupid every man, biggest believer in the cause that rouses others with his enthusiasm, loves to fight, understands mecha battles are cool as hell
That hadn't been the standard for mecha protagonists since the 70s. At least I know most Tomino protagonists are not like that

All of my keks to you good sir.