Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uklnIxcQihs
youtu.be/4bfGIA-fnl4
youtu.be/4SiLDQKvcIk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's all about the profits, goy.

Off the top of me old noggin

>revolutionised facial performance capture technology
>Put 3D cinema in the modern consciousness, to this day we still have movies converted / shot in 3D, though not as much since they overpriced it
>the phrase "Pocahauntus with smurfs" is used by every onions boy who hears the word "avatar"
>highest grossing movie in the world
>theme parks built for it
>arena show made for it
>comic books made for it

Do you think the guy in pic related regrets it?

Attached: avatar tattoo.jpg (550x614, 53K)

I wouldn't

Yeah, he now has no space for his Avatar 2 tattoos.

In the front.

i fucking hate this movie
it was so generic and just well average, but i just dont understand HOW it did so well.

Blue and green tattoos tend to fade the fastest and look like a big glob after a few years unless you continuously get them re-inked. The tattoo artist probably should have warned him about that.

>generic
Ah ? What other movies resemble to it ?

I like space kots

First (and last) big 3D movie event. Upon cracking a billion revenue people who didn’t plan on seeing it went anyway to see what all the fuss was about.

Wrong, I am sure there was at least one MadTV sketch based on it.

Image gettingex memed this hard from the manufactured buzz about avatar and "James cameron’s latest!" The film is a solid 7/10, 8/10 on a good day, respectable but hardly tatto worthily
This guy is a pic, from start to finish his life will be what society and advertising told him to do

dance with the wolves

I don't remember it was a sci-fi movie.

>Tron Legacy is visually impressive, but there's not much in the way of story 3/10
>Yeah, Avatar's story has been done before, but dude check out those visuals!!! 9/10

Pic=npc

Fern Gully, that even has the 'outsider transforming into one of the group' aspect and the ecological message

So ? What's your point ?

Because dance with the wolves is not a sci-fi movie it doesn't ressemble Avatar ? Are you that retarded ? is that the point you are making ? You want to stick with that ?

It had technical impact
It legitimized more use of CG in movies as well as prolonging 3D usage when it wss falling out of use.

Fern gully
Lots of movies really. Just another white-man-bad native-tribes-peoples good plot.
I don’t hate it, but it was just differnently average

What is YOUR point ? It has good guys and bad guys so it's the same ?

>Fern Gully
Literaly what ?

Image saying a movie is good because of technical impact.
Loling at your life dude,
Also I don’t belive you anyways. Star Wars Epi 1 had more cgi and that came out 10 years before.
And the chi isn’t even that amazing. Let me give you a secret about cgi, it’s all about budget. If you can afford to spend more money on it it looks better, not becuase the director someone creates a better cgi art vision or some shit

Attached: 5024B13D-F8AE-40F2-B08F-64E042177D95.jpg (314x352, 21K)

You asked what movie ressembles it.

I answered it : Dance with the wolves.

Want another one ? The last samurai.

>American or occidental hero is sent to fight against a foreign culture.
>Get immersed by that foreign culture.
>End up joining side with the foregin culture and fighting against his ex nation.

You couldn't find it yourself ?

It was to hard to finds the exact same plot because it wasn't a sci-fi movie ?

What else? because there wasn't the same actors in both movies it mean they don't ressemble?
You are so fucking retarded

Avatar fucked everything up by creating a giant multi billion dollar dick measuring contest. Back in the day one could go to a movie and feel secure about the success of a film on many different merits without worrying if the movie made a studio more than a billion bucks. Now everyone sits back and laughs if a film stalls short of 1 billion, and if a film makes more than 1 billion people say oh well it could have done better.

By that logic there is no original movie and they're all generic. Name one movie whose story was never told before.

John Smith / Pocahontas stories suck

Every version of the John Smith / Pocahontas story I’ve ever seen treats her as extremely exotic. She has magical powers, she can talk to animals, she has a Sisters of Avalon nature virgin sex goddess vibe going on, whatever. She’s almost always in some sort of slinky imagined Native American garb — more than she wore in real life when with her people, but as it is for the sake of provocation, not accuracy. Pocahontas as superhot crunchy sex spirit is so ingrained in the story that, if the woman isn’t depicted as sexually exotic, if that isn’t one of John Smith’s main motivations in wanting to be with her, it isn’t a Pocahontas story.

But if the chief quality of Pocahontas is that she is extremely different from John Smith to the point of not even qualifying as human in any way he can understand, then she fails to build a bridge between peoples — their relationship fails to serve as a lever for communication, mercy and understanding. She actually just further “otherizes” Native Americans and advances the notion that they are not people in the same way white folks are people.
Box off met I s are retarded anyways becuase they don’t track ticket numbers, just prices, the cost of a ticket more than doubled between titanic and avatar. They don’t adjust for inflation, they don’t adjust for population growth, it is just a marketing thing

Are you calling Dances with Wolves and Last Samurai generic?

The more you repeat the stories, the more generic it become
Wages of fear

>Wages of fear
It's based on a novel.

adaptation # repeating

Generic is more than just being derivative of an existing work. Nothing in the movie stood out, not the acting, not the story, not the action or the set pieces. It was bland. Nothing exciting worth hating or loving.

>Nothing in the movie stood out, not the acting, not the story, not the action
That's right.

>or the set pieces
Pandora, it's fauna and flora, space ships and giga helico. I mean, people repetedly rushed to the theatre just to see that. It wouldn't have been a success if "nothing stood out", it wasn't a franchise.

>It wouldn't have been a success if "nothing stood out"

Marketing stood out

I don't know user, it all looked very uninspired to me, standard scifi concept art tier

Word of mouth.

You are a liar Mr Cameron

>avatarfags moving goalposts the thread

Capeshit once trends are over. The fact that nobody remembers 1978 Avengers now means how much (or little) impact capeshit has.

Attached: avengers-78.jpg (980x652, 74K)

No marketing can do that. Shazam was heavily promoted...

ITT: butthurt haters who are just mad

You're joking right?

Nobody ever made a buck underestimating James Cameron.

That said, it's kind of sad that the rest of Cameron's prime career (20+ years)is solely devoted to Avatars 2-5.

And dont fucking tell me he's past his prime. At least before Cameron had to pitch money and do the grubby fund raising side of things.

Now Cameron can literally do whatever he wants to no matter what with unlimited funding. No focus group testing. No negotiating with the screen writers guild.

He's like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas during the " fuck you pay me scene" combined with Harvey Weinstein's casting couch actor power all in one, and he's decided to do the most unoriginal story in history over and over again for the next 20 years.

It's sad brehs.

This is the kind of word of mouth Avatar was getting at release:

youtu.be/uklnIxcQihs

Nothing can compete. It was way ahead of its time. The 3D was so advanced that it had people buying 3D TVs but unfortunately Cameron was just that much more talent than anyone else that nobody has been able to set a reliable 3D benchmark or make the tech worth it yet except as a ticket surcharge (like the surcharge I paid for Endgame... nice opening Endgame be a shame if you had Avatar to thank for it).

You are right, I have never heard of it. Was it 70s kino?

((((cultural impact))))

Grace Randolph picking jaws up off the floor after a screening:

youtu.be/4bfGIA-fnl4

Attached: 2B65C82D-B1D9-4741-81A0-998091988B59.jpg (450x450, 38K)

This. Avatar had a such an anti-authoritarian that China had to stop screening it, the movie was causing civil fucking unrest.

Why does Yea Forums defend this movie to death every time it's brought up?

Avatar was about the greed of (((capitalism)))) versus people who want to preserve their way of life. Jews and their NPCs hate this message and so push the “no cultural impact” meme because they’re 0/10 butthurt haters who should cry more.

It's the last stand against capeshit. It's not that great but obviously better than spammy superhero garbage.

It's not real.

Go back newfaggot

Attached: reddit.jpg (1280x720, 236K)

Needs to be updated, can’t believe that’s been relevant and accurate since before Day of Ultron

Reminder that Avatar having ZERO cultural impact is historical revisionism.
>THOUSANDS OF NA'VI COSTUMES FOR HALLOWEEN
>PEOPLE REWATCHING IT IN DROVES BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T BELIEVE THIS FILM WAS REAL
>MASS SUICIDES FROM BRAINLETS WHO COULDN'T TAKE THE 3D TECHNOLOGY
>"OLD WHITE GUY" DID NOTHING WRONG DISCUSSIONS
>LE DANCES WITH WOLVES IN LE SPACE XDDDD COUNTER-MOVEMENT BECAUSE EVERYONE LOVED AVATAR

It's not a cultural cornerstone that's going to be remembered forever (because let's be honest the film was fucking empty besides the visuals) but it was a genuinely big piece of the cultural zeitgeist at the time.

Attached: 1556564610468.png (584x553, 672K)

I agree. I had normie friends go to see it twice and they literally never went to movies.

Watch any mid-to-high budget blockbuster movie made after after Avatar up until about 2015. They're all trying to cash in on the 3D CGI WOW. It also pushed 3D-TV's onto the market. It was a short-lived fad, but it was huge.
I watched The Walk last summer and I wondered why it was such shit: it was made with the 3D gimmick in mind. It added NOTHING to the movie, but it was a schmuck-bait to trick people into watching it.

I'll start, OP

Attached: 1560115258226.jpg (317x445, 51K)

Pocahantas in Space

>Folder full of images I don't get to post any more.

>Everybody hates CGI now

Attached: 1262893043169.jpg (447x462, 13K)

No

I hate capeshit as much as the next guy but Avengers was built up for a decade with dozens of tie-in movies and is one of the most profitable and popular franchises ever. The mouse will milk this shit for years

It was the first accurate interstellar spaceship concept put to screen, super well thought out and designed by a NASA engineer.

Attached: 26076EB7-E536-4A07-999B-3A14BBBCA700.jpg (427x321, 59K)

Oh yeah it was the marketing.

RETARD

Attached: avatar flops opening weekend .jpg (828x253, 57K)

You have the leaked plot to Avatar 2? Please do share!

Single handedly got people spending money at the cinema again after the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Cry more.

ITT: 0/10 butthurt haters cry more

This is the most popular ride Disney has ever had in its entire history at any of its parks - youtu.be/4SiLDQKvcIk

>It's not a cultural cornerstone that's going to be remembered forever
That's what people usually mean by cultural impact

I can’t wait for Avatar 2 to bury capeshit as the childish tripe it is

Attached: 9D51B2E9-6005-4E19-BD82-56083EBF498F.jpg (1125x1741, 816K)

Nothing is remembered forever. Name a single standalone film with as much impact as Avatar in the past 30 years that wasn’t also a James Cameron movie

I miss Abatap.
Did he die?

Was the camera tech used i anything after this?

this
and a movie doesn't make 2.788 billion dollars without having people seeing multiple times
marketing cannot do that
>not the action or the set pieces
then you probably lack any notion of what makes an action scene well directed
the tree sequence or the end battle are perfectly staged and shot

because Yea Forums is just one person samefagging

Tron Legacy looks like fucking ass compared with Avatar. Avatar's cast and execution of story were also far better. Get the fuck out of here.

b-but muh big money number!

You are the one who needs to get the fuck out of here, Tron Legacy is /ourmovie/

>Thread praising MCU shit and now this
Is there some reddit raid going on?

Disney’s Star Wars.
Outside of feminist politics, no one talks about them. No one is talking about the new characters or the action because they are both so incredibly dull.
There isn’t even anything to get excited about and theorize since Disney is making everything up as they go along and will literally retcon and disregard previous films (see TLJ ignoring TFA).

Other than people complaining/defending the feminist politics, there is nothing to talk about or get excited for in this franchise now.

This is false

Disneyland’s Pirates of the Caribbean still holds that distinction

Don’t @ me with wait times, Pirates has elder god-tier capacity and still draws long waits 50+ years after opening

blue pocahontas garbage

>mouse dicksuckers

incels the lot of you

Probably the best answer in the thread- nobody is going to remember these movies outside of the argument about Last Jedi.

I find myself thinking of the people who got Avatar tats quite often...

This
No magical artificial gravity and shit like this
Also trip to Pandora takes around 7 years if im not mistaken and they are using hibernation to endure it
They really did think about how things actually work

Never seen one person wearing an Avatar t-shirt

should have used literally any MCU film instead, zero discussion after a month or so for every one.

share it

Attached: 2019-06-14 21_40_06-Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at’ite Properties.jpg (484x594, 112K)

I think its more the fact that its the ONLY 3D film that used the effect competently. Other than final destination 4

I want Neytiri to impact me via a pounce

>pretentious Jim cocksuckers
fags, the lot of you...