Quentin Tarantino 12 greatest films of all time

Quentin Tarantino lists the 12 greatest films of all time.
Thoughts? Does he have good taste?

faroutmagazine.co.uk/quentin-tarantino-top-12-films-list/

Attached: Tarantino favourite movies.jpg (1003x1793, 272K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0WlHbBhdc
bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/voter/1058
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

His Girl Friday is great. Meh list otherwise. Nolan's taste is unironically better.

13. Dead Nigger Storage, 1994

Imagine being so up your own ass that you can't admit any of those movies are good.

>Pretty maids all in a row

That is such a forgettable film

Uh I did though

Kubrick BTFO

>nothing after 1980
Nah, he’s a prime boomer

>nothing

>dude 1970s new Hollywood films lmao
yikes
if you ask Scorsese his favorite films he'll probably come up with a list that includes Fellini, Kurosawa, and Ozu

Only tryhards list those guys.

>no Godfather Part 2
>no Chinatown
>no On The Waterfront
>no Silence of the Lambs
>no Bridge On The River Kwai
>no Pulp Fiction
Always knew he was a pretentious faggot

In his defense, the one movie after 1980 is about life before 1980

true

>none of directed by women
wow, how can he do this?

>jaws
of course
like pulp fiction it helped destroy cinema as an art form in america

good, cinema is super gay

>t-trying hard is dumb
You and Tarantino are both spineless failures

8 out of 12 are from the 70s

It must suck so bad that all your thoughts and opinions are just what you think will make you seem cultured and intelligent. Nothing about you is genuine.

Only Fellini could say his own movie was his favorite

?

That sounds like the taste of someone who exclusively produces trashy, superficial schlock.

His list looks like the list a person who loves Tarantino movies would make, his films excluded.

Fellini is kino

entry level / borderline pleb

Only saw 5 of the 12, so I suppose I can't judge.

His stuff is average. Only reason it's considered anything more is because it's old.

The dude is a douche bag. His list of greatest films is trash. His fans are retards.

>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
That isn't even the best film in the Dollars Trilogy ffs.

Attached: 1559356842230.png (329x374, 299K)

Nice input, moron

The list overall is meh but Bad News Bears is absolute kino.

>Dazed and Confused the 4th best film ever
I mean, it's really comfy, but what the fuck?

Huh? I was just making fun of you for using “tryhard” as a negative term. Trying hard is a good thing, if you’d had a father he’d probably have taught you that.

Wtf? These are all old movies. Where is avatar, the lord of the rings, toy story, sam raimis spiderman, pirates of the caribbean and fight club?

I hate this cuck with a passion but I can't deny the accuracy of his number 1 pick.

>he's so mad he has to resort to passive aggressive insults like a woman instead of directing it to me
HAHAHAHA

His picks for the most part are for their time the equivalents of those flicks.

what a pleb
>Sorcerer
i'll allow it

forgot pic

Attached: Vietnam BTFO.jpg (1920x1080, 284K)

His picks are really solid. Missing some Fellini and Kurosawa though.

Attached: 3_fae9f370-d72e-4a14-9ae7-793d16a1f240_1200x1200.png (772x555, 767K)

for someone who constantly steals from chinese, japanese and italian low budget movies he seems to have forgotten to include any of them

>what is Dazed and Confused

Nope, Fellini was great and his movies hold up. Tarantino would likely agree

I watched Apocalypse Now as a teen and thought it was fantastic, but I rewatched it recently and I barely could force myself through it.

The dialogue, while poetic, was nonsensical. Everything just had a weird veil of nonsense that got drastically stronger as the film went on, until it was full gibberish by the end.

I think it would have been a thousand times better if they had just made Heart of Darkness movie

Also there's no way his top ten films aren't just a bunch of Sergio Leone films and Kurosawa stuff, and he doesn't want to admit it.

Attached: 1553539623102.jpg (379x324, 10K)

>The dialogue, while poetic, was nonsensical.
Do you mean Brando's speech at the end? Because that isn't supposed to make a whole lot of sense. Part of the point is that he's lost his mind. If you're talking about the rest of the film then you must be retarded.

Checkpoint and beyond. I understand what the checkpoint was meant to portray, that all civilization had been abandoned and it was in constant disarray, but it just felt bad.

It also didn't help that I had finished Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary a day before rewatching it

Um guys? Where's fight club? LOTR? Star wars? And not even a single Japanese animation? Or a Disney animation from when they were good?
This list reeks of someone who likes smelling its own farts.

Dazed and Confused's entire premise is that it's in the 70s and made to embody the feeling from that decade.

this plus Jaws

>BvS not number 1
Terrible list.

>Sorcerer above Wages of Fear

hot take

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN SOME RANDOM FUCKING user'S LIST ON Yea Forums WAS BETTER THAN UNA FARTA?

1) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
2) Up
3) Inside Llewyn Davis
4) Starship Troopers
5) Enemy
6) Inglourious Basterds
7) Jurassic World
8) Closer
9) Drive
10) Hellboy II: The Golden Army

SUCK IT TARANTIDO

No female directors?

as expected, he's a pleb that could only come up with a few good films.

>if you ask Scorsese his favorite films he'll probably come up with a list that includes Fellini, Kurosawa, and Ozu
this is not much of a compliment

Good post. List good movies, not movies you think make you seem special.

>Only old movies are good: the list

This is bait but Up was probably the worst movie Pixar has done. It was even worse than the Cars sequels.

>Ozu
Literally the cinematic equivalent to a grey wall.

I thought he liked Battle Royale too?

You joke a litte, but there are movies, e.g., Michael Mann, that are much better than some of those picks.

AN is one of Tarantula's only good pick. Your criticism is someone legit, but Brando's ad libs at the end were pretty good I think. "An errand boy, sent to collect a bill."
It is better than Wages of Fear, arguably. The subject matter works better in the 80s, and the tension/existential matter is excellent. Older doesn't mean better.

Directors uniroincally have the worst taste in film.

I think it's favorite movie since 1992 but he made the list in 2009 so he might have added some things

1 Battle Royale
2 Anything Else ( Woody Allen )
3 Audition
4 The Blade
5 Boogie Nights
6 Dazed and Confused
7 Dogville
8 Fight Club
9 Friday
10 The Host
11 The Insider
12 Joint Security Area
13 Lost in Translation
14 The Matrix
15 Memories of Murder
16 Police Story 3 ( Supercop )
17 Shaun of the Dead
18 Speed
19 Team America
20 Unbreakable
Honorable mention: Rio Bravo

youtube.com/watch?v=Zv0WlHbBhdc

Attached: CqwM1prXEAAjPag.jpg (468x510, 41K)

>The insider
+
>chink shit, PTA, and LvT
---

If he put Pulp Fiction I’d laugh

Perfectly fine list, though I probably wouldn't have any of them on mine if I were forced to rank my favorites.
Loving the torrential pour of isle going "ZOMG those moves are, like, a gajillion years old! Only le bewmers like OLD movies!" or "le entry level so bad because popular is bad" or "if you don't have at least 5 movies from this decade in your top 12 you're clearly an old BOOMER! Step aside gramps! #genzrulezof" or the countless others that retards are bound to be spewing out. Haven't read past the OP, I'm just assuming here because of the director and his picks. Hope someone lets me know if I got any right.

>he'll probably come up with a list that includes Fellini, Kurosawa, and Ozu
>Fellini, Kurosawa, and Ozu

Attached: soychad.png (1080x1266, 30K)

14. Tigger's Nigger & Jigger

oh it shows

Michael Mann has gone on record saying Avatar is one of his 10 favorite films ever

>Quentin Tarantino lists the 12 greatest films of all time
Sigh, will probably be lame as fuck

You just didn’t get it. Sorry.

Cinema is for queers, this is strictly a /flicks/ board

Shut the fuck up. Wages of Fear is better because it’s better, not because it’s older.

bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/voter/1058

taste? better than tvedditors for sure

It is at least honest.
One thing I will say is that Taxi Driver used to be at the number one spot in an older top ten list he made. Now it is all the way at the bottom of the top twelve. What happened?

Imagine being this fucking wrong
To be fair i havent seen up since i was younger

Synecdoche
Eraserhead
Barry Lyndon
One Upon a Time in The West
Vertigo

>Almost exclusively American movies

I expected better, honestly.

>His Girl Friday

Based, that's one of the best films I've seen. Would've picked Only Angels Have Wings over it from Howard Hawks films, but that's a small thing really.

Its weird because all the movies he ripped off of almost 1:1 arent on it

>The Bad News Bears
Is this a pedo dog whistle?

Attached: MV5BM2MxODA1ZTctOWFlZi00YTNmLTkxNDAtNzlmNzA1Zjc1MzczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg (550x310, 52K)

>Lists a bunch of great English language films that also happen to be well known as opposed to being mr. tryhard connoisseur faggot and listing tons of obscure/foreign films
Incredibly based. This is the list of a man who's secure in his taste and doesn't need to try to show off to impress pseuds.

Attached: cool (2).gif (320x240, 991K)

Rate my top 12

>The Piano Teacher- Michael Haneke (2001) France/Austria
>Winter Sleep- Nuri Bilge Ceylan (2014) Turkey
>Journey to Italy- Roberto Rossellini (1954) Italy
>Four Lions- Chris Morris (2010) Britain
>Still Walking- Hirokazu Koreeda (2008) Japan
>The Emigrants/The New Land- Jan Troel (1971) Sweden
>The Act of Killing- Joshua Oppenheimer (2012) Denmark/Britain
>Braindead- Peter Jackson (1992) New Zealand
>Annie Hall- Woody Allen (1977) America
>Only Yesterday- Isao Takahata (1991) Japan
>Fitzcarraldo- Werner Herzog (1982) West German
>Certain Women- Kelly Reichardt (2016) America

Attached: waterfowl.jpg (956x1280, 491K)

For average Tarantino fan these movies are obscure though

Attached: 12341556.png (541x505, 247K)

i said "mah nigga" several times going through that list

(but heart of glass instead of fitzcarraldo)

footfags never have good taste

Attached: ib.jpg (566x132, 16K)

but are they the 12 greatest films of all time?
fuck no

If i was gonna pull him up on anything for his list, it's not so much not including American or art films, it's not including any contemporary films like he doesn't respect modern cinema.

>The Piano Teacher
Awful pick. His worst
>Annie Hall
>Woody Allen
>Winter Sleep, Journey to Italy, The Act of Killing, Fitzcarraldo
Pretty good. You alright white boi

Attached: 1550066423.png (183x275, 33K)

His favourite films doesn't mean he thinks they're the greatest of all time.

>Awful pick. His worst
Way to completely disqualify your opinions

The good, the bad and the ugly is kino.

Is Sorcerer good? I like Wages of Fear but I've just never managed to see Sorcerer.

formerly an acceptable word to say

Yeah this. I think even for a 'greatest of all time' list, you're still balancing your own personal preferences against strengths and flaws. Because lots of those 'greatest of all time' lists people put a bunch of films down which they don't even -love- watching, they just appreciate, and that doesn't really make sense. It's kind of like the wine vs coke thing. I wouldn't dream of putting Citizen Kane, although I enjoyed it, i didn't love watching it. Even though I don't have a thought out answer about why that is.

But on the other hand, i wanted to put down Akira, but i could write pages and pages on every flaw it has, so i can't really say it's 'the best' compared to other films which don't have huge fundamental flaws. Even though i love it, and it's in many respects peerless.

Imho no. Its a beyond boring movie.

Like if you put down a list of classics, but actually you had a much better time watching LOTR, your list is total bullshit.

thx user
>heart of glass instead of fitzcarraldo
I've been meaning to watch that

>>The Piano Teacher
>Awful
I just love the way it contrasted high art and society with absolute sexual depravity and mental illness. I think the power of that contrast was so strong. And neither element was treated with disdain or as a prop. You hear full classical pieces in the film and they are meant to be beautiful. Isabelle Huppert is extremely sexual and alluring despite how filthy and pathetic she is. Haneke actually respects both these things and the contrast between them is i think unequaled by any other film.

Faggot.

>Dazed and Confused is set in 1976 so it isn’t really a 90s film
>Saving Private Ryan is set in 1944 so it isn’t really a 90s film
>Braveheart is set in the late 1200s so it isn’t really a 90s film

>nearly all from when he was a teenager
>only one of them is from beyond his time period and it's entry level
Dumbass.

If you were to give your top 12, would they genuinely be even close to the films you most enjoyed watching?

And what is the value of a film, if not entertainment ?

>would they genuinely be even close to the films you most enjoyed watching?
Yes, you fucking dumbass.

>makes hundreds of millions with blockbusters
>dabs on arthouse fags at cannes and wins the palme d'or

QT is absolutely based

Attached: quentin.webm (1280x720, 2.89M)

go on then

>no Kurosawa
I thought he was a fucking weeb

Attached: 1561082106983.gif (477x348, 627K)

No, you fucking dumbass.

Rate my list.

Note: These movies are not ranked, I consider them more or less equally good for different reasons.

The Long Goodbye
Prince of the City
Cruising
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Blue Velvet
Tron
Blade Runner
Suspiria
Thief
Cure (Kurosawa 1997)
Manhunter
Raise the Red Lantern

Attached: 1557505914772.jpg (960x960, 52K)

Sorcerer is great, same basic plot but different setpieces and a great score by Tangerine Dream. The biggest issue is the long build-up; it takes 30-45min to get to the 'guys driving trucks' part.
I prefer Wages of Fear personally but it's close.

Why the fuck is it called sorcerer tho?

Fukasaku would be more appropriate considering how much Tarantula's taken from his movies.

Good list.
I prefer dramas over thrillers though.
They're basically all from the same era too.

I often prefer more recent thrillers like: Hell or High Water, Sicario, Locke, Ex Machina, The Wailing, Thelma etc
and also older thrillers like Psycho, Woman in the Dunes, Night of the Hunter and Out of the Past

So yeah, very narrow focus.

>Jurassic World
>Hellboy 2
That alone gets a yikes from me dawg.

its literally one of the greatest films ever made, user

> Pretty Maids All in a Row
trolling

>10 The Host
i don't blame him. it featured saoirse ronan in her prime.

Attached: saorsie_ronan_arse_X.webm (762x710, 2.86M)

His No.1 for years was Battle Royale, now it's completely absent from the list. Complete sellout for the sake of "cinematic authenticity"

Attached: source.gif (482x362, 1.33M)

>Apocalypse Now
>GBU
>Rolling Thunder
>Sorcerer
>Taxi Driver

Pretty based. I wish I could enjoy De Palma more. I haven't watched Carrie yet, but I've been pretty whelmed by everything I've seen so far.

Attached: 1526868818345.jpg (720x720, 62K)

>Apocalypse Now number one on his list

At least he is competent enough to recognize perfection.

Attached: apocalypse-now.jpg (1920x1080, 534K)

I don't get Cruising. I generally love Friedkin but Cruising was just a shitty giallo for me.

He should have at least mentioned Django.

Attached: 1525377104922.png (358x418, 246K)

>Dazed and Confused
my fucking nigga

I was expecting some asian films

too bad scorsese is a wop wannabe hack who only knows how to tell a single story like he has brain damage

>basedchad
A daring synthesis, but what does it mean?

>Fucking Dazed & Confused
>Not listing Unbreakable after going on & on about how much of a masterpiece it was

I'm sa sick of this shit. Dazed & Confused is NOT a good movie. The "acting" from that kid alone makes me want to randomly punch people in the street. Its a god damn MEME movie.

I do like that sexy red head though. I bet that bush is FIRE.

Attached: uLsb7qp.gif (400x217, 1.17M)

It's even better than I would have guessed.

Haneke is the archpseud, Ceylan makes beautiful looking yet dead films, Rossellini is an above average film maker mostly due to the subject of his films but he lacked the technical chops to be a great artists, if Morris gets back on track he will go down as one of the great satirists of the early 21st century, have no idea about modern nip films will have to get acquainted, Troel is an A+ artist and also not butt sniffing award chaser, Oppenheimer is a bespectacled faggot pseud with little to say or illuminate about ethics, Jackson solid mainstream director who's career fizzled out after 2003, Allen is a very funny jew that has made only 5 films worth watching but those 5 films are great, cartoons are for kids no exceptions, Herzog A++ documentarian D- director, Reichardt is boring and unsubtle when something actually happens in one of her films I am still pissed about that motor-home scene in Night Moves with the tv playing

it's different beacause it's a fucking nostalgia piece not historical

>The dialogue, while poetic, was nonsensical. Everything just had a weird veil of nonsense that got drastically stronger as the film went on, until it was full gibberish by the end.
So... exactly what it was trying to portray then

Looks like a pseud tryhard.

One of these things is not like the others

It's got the best soundtrack, he's a soundtrack guy.

lol i'm pretty sure he means the Korean horror film The Host, by Bong Joon-ho, who just won this years Palme d'Or at Cannes

This, but most plebs on here have probably never seen it. A masterclass in dialogue.

I actually liked Winter Sleep more for the dialogue and how intense the relationships were, basically the character drama, than the art of it, although it was a beautiful film. It also has a self-reflective discussion of the hypocracy and bankrupt nature of liberal art intellectuals, similar to in The Square, which i find very interesting (as a liberal). It's based on a Chekhov play and I think the screenplay would even work great on stage. His other films i've seen, I did not like nearly as much.

Already explained why i like The Piano teacher ITT. Rossellini maybe i'd agree in general, but Ingrid Bergman elevates it. Fight me about Oppenheimer. Watch Braindead it's a cult film pre-lotr and it's KINO if you like cult films evil dead etc and you can see his early technical prowess with weta workshop and effects being developed so it's very interesting re LOTR. Only Yesterday is one of the handfuls of anime with a simple non-melodramatic drama to rival real kino. Herzog maybe but his exploits with that film, how many people died, the scope of it, is amazing. Simple Women is not indicative of worse Reichardt films like Wendy and Lucy which IS boring but Simple women is not.

Yeah watch Still Walking lol
It's better than Shoplifters, same guy
kiiinda like Ozu. Really beautiful film with a real human heart and a slightly wry sense of humour.
Marabosi is his other best film imo if you like it. By far better than any other contemporary nip films.

I was honestly just expecting spaghetti westerns, exploitation, blaxploitation, horror, and kung fu movies.

He's just listing the films he watched and enjoyed when he was coming of age - same as Tarantino is doing. Most of our conception of what is good in cinema is taken from the adolescent/early 20's experiences of baby boomers and xoomers (the same is true of pop music). Once those two generations die off we will see what really stands the test of time. The films of Ford, Hitchcock and Hawks, so revered by the Cahirs Crew and the movie brats are not at all popular with millennial and zoomer cineastes, let alone the public at large. I say this as someone who love those directors - I feel in 50 years we'll view the praise of John Ford by critics as incredulously as we view the praise of Abraham Cowley by Dr. Samuel Johnson.

>only American films

Opinion discarded.

Attached: 1557447160787.png (500x647, 224K)

>The dialogue, while poetic, was nonsensical
>better if they had just made Heart of Darkness movie
Ask me how I know you're a pseud

Yeah blue velvet is shit

I like it.

Tarantino's deperately trying to deny the fact that he ripped of Godard, Leonne, etc.
He's said multiple times that he's "outgrown" them, but in reality this just means he's realised how much of a hack he is and doesn't want anyone else to say the same...