Why did people shit so badly on this movie?

Why did people shit so badly on this movie?

Attached: image.jpg (150x205, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=drnOH6BK2As
youtube.com/watch?v=jLttoq9BksA&feature=youtu.be&t=61
youtube.com/watch?v=-reAahY1GCE&feature=youtu.be&t=10
youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM
youtu.be/J-2QMV8c1yw
youtu.be/ICyj91GSzQA
youtube.com/watch?v=uJrbz0wiT28
youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3AJjuup3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=UczxnDAsQjs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Annoying kids

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH DAAAAAAAAAAAAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

have sex

I've seen worse. Faun's Labyrinth had a worse kid.

The kids is what sells it and gives the sense of despair though. You imagine having to comfort and protect your kids in such a situation.

It has a very weird metallic look that kinda makes it look cheap

The movie lost the audience when it shifted gears

never recovered

in fact, the ending was even worse

so in a way, it started off good but kept getting worse

true lies had a more annoying kid

To this day I still have no god damn clue what a solenoid is.

No you don't. You think "fuck these kids are annoying. Tom Cruise should just leave his daughter in the pedophile basement and go off on his own".

Who shat on it? It was a great movie and a lot of people liked it

>No Thunderchild

dudes, hey, let's invade Earth! first we'll go there before there's any intelligent life.. then we'll bury ourselves underground and WAIT until they've developed technology and weapons and shit, THEN we emerge and attack them! sounds cool, right? it should only take about half a billion years to pull this off.

So true. Also that ferry scene was pretty shitty until the tripod emerges. Not kino but pretty great.

I really hate how they keep putting WotW into a modern setting. Having to buff up the tripods to survive modern weaponry makes the military scenes lose something. There's a difference between a 0% chance of winning and a .5% chance. We know the martians are gonna steamroll the humans anyway but at least give some tension that maybe they'll be able to take out one tripod and maybe that way save the civilians. Makes it even more horrifying seeing how that small hope gets smashed by a one shot of the heat ray.
I'm just basing this on how much I love the Jeff musical version and especially this song.
youtube.com/watch?v=drnOH6BK2As
If it doesn't have this kino scene in it, no WotW adaption will ever be good. COME ON THUNDER CHILD/spoiler]
Also the "they were here millions of years ago" and them not actually being martians is stupid. But that's just a nitpick. I don't even hate the kids, we can have the same story with the kids but I see WotW is a invasion story first and a survival story second. A product of it's time where invasion stories were the big fad. Sure I can see how showing how people try to survive the invasion is important but there's no struggle just a lot of running away.

pointless remake of a classic

you are just a pedo. Both kids were retarded. The boy was old enough to grasp the fucking situation but he still wanted to be a retard. And dont give me that crap that all kids would act that way. Fucking aliens are killing everyone and he still "hmmmpf you aren't around to know us hmmmpf she has peanut allergy you would know that if you were here hmmmp you didnt have any food in the house hnmmpf" that that jackass. And the girl was literally autistic. She even had a fucking safe space. Only people that say she was fine are pedos thirsting after little Dakota

it's a switch that is turned on and off by an electromagnet - a switch that's operated by power instead of someone turning it on and off.

it's a really slow and power-hungry transistor, in the end.

Time is relative to space, moron.

At the time it was epic to hate Tom Cruise and it blows its load in the opening attack sequence

I love how they can suck of billions of gallons of diseased human blood but still die to bird shit

The movie ultimately wasn't good but the tripod design and sound is so top notch that I feel bad about it not having more success.
We will never have more tripods and more
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHM

youtube.com/watch?v=jLttoq9BksA&feature=youtu.be&t=61

Is it kino Yea Forums?

they were probably just disappointed because it's based on a classic book, directed by spielberg, and starring Cruise. and spielberg's other two alien films are Close Encounters & ET, so expectations were high

Kill yourself, incel.

>We know the martians are gonna steamroll the humans anyway but at least give some tension that maybe they'll be able to take out one tripod and maybe that way save the civilians.

at least the martians didn't have impenetrable shields like in the George Pal version.

heh. Pal originally wanted the martian machines to walk on legs made of wires giving off sparks, but the only way they could do that was to run about a million volts (low-amperage, though) through them, and they decided that wasn't safe. in the end the martian machines walked about on barely visible beams of energy. they were so faint in the final print that it looked like they were flying.

Attached: war-of-the-worlds-004.jpg (640x480, 75K)

Attached: amalia_eva_lol_what.jpg (640x360, 37K)

fpbp
/thread

>at least the martians didn't have impenetrable shields
They did though. Just not over head

yeah, so much unused lore from the source material. imagine a fight along the lines of the Thunderchild story, instead we got walking dead tier npc drama about "muh kidz"

How else are kids supposed to react to fucking aliens invading?

>The kids is what sells it and gives the sense of despair though. You imagine having to comfort and protect your kids in such a situation.

Attached: 1560920098794.png (211x239, 8K)

Fucked up the tags, woops.
I always saw it that it was that blood that infected and killed them. Literally died from aids. Another way to see it is literally the planet itself fighting back, if you're into romanticizing the concept of life.
I'm sure they had shield in the Tom cruise film. the ending scene was Tom telling the military troops "LOOK AT THE FUCKING BIRDS, THEY DON'T HAVE SHIELD SHOOT THEM" then they take the tripod down and see the alien died from aids

Imagine earth is a field and humans were instead sowed like crops

Because it was a crappy movie with expensive graphics.

get down on their knees and welcome their three-legged overlords.

What the remakes miss is that Thunderchild moment where there is a faint moment of hope as the best weapon humanity has actually has an effect on the martians and it looks like this could be a winnable fight, but then those hopes are dashed as the walkers adapt/overcome our best weapon.

youtube.com/watch?v=-reAahY1GCE&feature=youtu.be&t=10

yeah! let's go BURY OURSELVES UNDER THE CROPS.. and WAIT!

boy, imagine the looks on their faces

Attached: derp.jpg (500x500, 87K)

Mid to late teens still complaining that he's not his real dad as aliens kill everyone around them yea..that's how real teens act

Thing is they died from germs, which people always saw as silly, but if they actually came to earth before then then have even less excuse to die from that shit, which makes it even sillier.

Just here to remind you that the 1953 version is still the best and now I can go.

>Why did people shit so badly on this movie?
1) Aliens awesome
2) Tom Cruise sucks as usual
3) Set in NYC, because the director is a jew and they know nothing outside of NY and LA.
4) Tossed in stupid broken home shit
5) Nothing Robbie did made any sense
6) They have the only working minivan in NY
7) The US military doesn't notice the aliens no longer have shielding
8) Cruise is in a alien tripod capture bin with a military guy, Cruise sets off the grenades, the military guy does nothing despite actual training in things like...grenades.
9) You don't see muslims suicide bombing the tripods (in reality you really would, they're crazy brave fuckers)
10) Stupid jewish holocaust references peppered throughout the movie
11) 9/11 reference, blatant
12) Church scenes in original movie completely cut out because of jewish director hating christianity. Had to leave voiceover in because its critical to the movie, only religious reference in entire movie in the last 30 seconds of film.

Liberal directors ruin everything

Attached: 1557890774087.jpg (995x1200, 246K)

I know it's a shit adaptation, but is it that bad as an alien invasion movie?
I think it's good enough.

What the fuck is going on in this board now.

>I always saw it that it was that blood that infected and killed them. Literally died from aids.

Proof we need the LGBTQ community to infect any marauding aliens someday.

Its crazy, you'd think a big budget apocalyptic/alien invasion by Spielberg would be a masterpiece but its just meh

>To this day I still have no god damn clue what a solenoid is.
It moves the starter motor gear into place so it can drive the engine when you're cranking it with the key. When you let go of the key the solenoid pops the gear out because the starter is no longer needed.

The reality is an EMP would have fried the whole car's electronics, not just the solenoid

Love how even in defeat Thunder Child manged to save the boat. Really amazing scene, such a mix of emotions. How do directors see this scene and think "Nah not worth it to do that part"
When I saw it a while ago and I was ignorant of the source material I thought it was ok but fuck the son tho he was a fucking retard

What are the Holocaust references?

What the actual fuck, how do 3 adaptions of the same thing get released in the same year

Zack Snyder should've directed it.

Forgot pic.

Attached: Capture.png (595x29, 2K)

CG gets crummy and the kids are dummies but it's still a solid Spielberg 7

I'm not kidding when I say this is a mediocre-to-bad movie that I personally just loved because of it being fun popcorn schlock. The biggest problem with the movie is the fact that every scene felt horribly unnatural and cheap with the SINGULAR exception of the first tripod emerging and bursting from the ground as everybody stands around stunned and confused (scene was genuinely 11/10 and if the rest of the movie was as good as that single scene was, you'd have a masterpiece that would stand the test of time). Tom Cruise is an awful actor for this role, and every other actor in the movie is too busy aggressively ACTING to try to make you think that the scene is so TENSE and OUT OF CONTROL and PLEASE GIVE SOMEONE IN HERE A FREE OSCAR and it is so painfully fake from start to finish that it takes viewers out of it every single time.

The whole "survival" aspect was also painfully undercooked and valueless. They didn't ever struggle with food, the boatloads of places they were capable of simply weaving between the tripods was idyllic at its absolute worst, the "hiding from the tentacle" scene was so cheesy that it had zero tension from the second it came down, and it undercut the actual aliens coming down to investigate on their own. Then you have their FIRST attempt to destroy a tripod from the inside succeed instantly. I guess that may have been a nod for the fact that they were going to kill them from the inside with germs and such? But it sucked any life away from these horrific, destructive, all-destroying mysterious invaders and just made them seem spongy and soft on the inside, which also posits a cartoonish weakpoint.
>BUT WE CAN'T KILL KIDS! THAT WOULD BE IMMORAL FOR FILM!!!
Then don't threaten the child and set up for Tom Cruise to save the world yet again.

nu-tripods are aesthetic as fuck though

Attached: 2f68bccd04a564a8e8ddb9b2290da729.png (500x745, 517K)

Happens a lot with (predicted) blockbusters. Direct to video crap and a Syfy Channel copy, usually starring C Thomas Howell

It wasn’t a good movie. People wanted to see the earth get invaded. Instead we saw tom cruise be an annoying fag

one was like scifi channel type garbage

It's a pretty thematic part as well, back when the book was written an ironclad battle ship was the height of human weaponry, like a nuclear bomb is today.

FPBP WoW haters are nothing but annoying children.

Synder loves grimderp destruction but I don't think he could control himself if he was given this adaption to film

>Tom Cruise sucks as usual

Attached: 1560616810176.png (540x960, 246K)

I wanted to watch tom cruise getting invaded by an annoying fag.

>What are the Holocaust references?
The board covered with "looking for" "missing", notes, photos, ect...
The clothing piles, the people floating down the rivers (what? I thought the ray powdered them)
The burning train (ya know you can't have a holocaust without trains).
Might as well put swastikas on the sides of the tripods. One thing about spielberg he isn't subtle.

It's a great Tom Cruise sci-fi film, but a terrible War of the Worlds movie.

Attached: war-of-the-worlds-bbc.jpg (1024x535, 86K)

youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM

Attached: War of the Worlds - Jeff Wayne.jpg (2191x2164, 305K)

>It's a great Tom Cruise sci-fi film

Great and Tom Cruise in the same film...

Attached: 1557950463451.gif (480x267, 1.09M)

huddled masses and shit
I thought it was supposed to look more like an insect infestation in the wake of the towering tripods but apparently everytime a bunch of people are in one place it's the holocaust

Easy way to update the scene to modern era; have a navy ship with one of those giant experimental Railguns that are in development. Have it be one of the only things that can pierce the walker's shields.

Based HMS Thunder Child.

Attached: 1550862444310.jpg (1900x1321, 372K)

have sex off

Only retards would ever question that. The movie has a litany of flaws, but the visual and sound design were both phenomenal.

>it's still called War of the Worlds

Tfw we'll never have a War of the Worlds movie in this style with Jeff Wayne's music.

youtu.be/J-2QMV8c1yw

youtu.be/ICyj91GSzQA

>Great and Tom Cruise in the same film...

Tom Cruise makes great sci-fi films, and for him War of the Worlds (2005) is worth watching.

Attached: 15487035482.webm (718x404, 2.85M)

this
the film has some amazing sequences but is ultimately unfinished at the script stage and a massive missed opportunity

>aliens invade earth and say it's because our leaders are dictators and leading us astray
>real reason they're invading is because they're fighting a proxy war with another alien race
>other aliens give us weapons to fight the invaders
>Humans get the invading aliens hooked on drugs
>aliens eventually leave
>film ends with an alien handy-cam showing a space passenger ship crashing into a space elevator cut to credits with "Won't Get Fooled Again"
Here's your modern "War of the Worlds" bro

Just post the whole thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=uJrbz0wiT28
Best adaption we'll ever get. That epilogue with the music starting again when the NASA see the green flash. I love it.
If they wanna make a movie they might as well turn the musical into a film keeping the songs. But I guess without the same voices it'll be shit like that remake of the album Jeff Wayne made in 2013 that was dogshit.

Attached: the great martian war.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

That sounds more like Childhood's End

;_;

Attached: they shall not grow old tank-.webm (1280x720, 2.91M)

It had great visuals and sound design.
If they would show more tripods wrecking shit and less Tom Cruise it could be a better movie.

or the actual manmade heat ray

Attached: Laser_Weapon_System_aboard_USS_Ponce_(AFSB(I)-15)_in_November_2014_(05).JPG.jpg (4058x2700, 1.49M)

>protecting your children is soi

she fought so bravely.

Attached: 1457122321085.webm (498x468, 1.89M)

you could also have more room for a little irony of aliens jumping out on fire, just have the tripods either make their shields super dark or make the tripods reflective to show them adapting to it and it's a very good take on the original scene

>Just post the whole thing.

For me, it's Forever Autumn.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3AJjuup3Q

Attached: edge of tomorrow tom cruise ded.webm (1280x532, 2.84M)

Oblivion was a great movie, hamstrung by Tom Cruise. For me, what made the movie truly great was the supporting cast. Andrea Risenboro, Olga Kurylenko, Morgan Freeman.

Tom Cruise is a shit actor. He is deeply embedded in Scientology and so many other actors and producers are Scientologists he kees getting roles that way.

>implying directors read the book

I guess that would've been good too as long as it's identical to scene mentioned in the thread with the crowd cheering and saving the boat.
I can't pick a favorite. Even the super cheesey ones like "Spirit of Man" and "Brave New World" are great and catchy
ALL OVER AGAAIIN
Sadly you have a point. We live in a society where people are in charge of making adaptions of works that they know nothing about or even dislike

The set for the airplane scene at Universal Studios is fucking cool

Never go full retard.

Attached: 56bccfe42e52651d008b6a53-750.jpg (400x300, 21K)

This is why, and it's also why people who hate it are fucking stupid. The kids are realistically FUCKING RETARDED AND ANNOYING, but they're purposely not the main character because of that. Instead, the focus is on Tom Cruise's character in having to deal with stupid dumbfuck kids who don't respect him in the slightest because he's a cucked blue collar wage slave.

If that doesn't resonate with any of you, then have sex

Attached: 1305280709935.jpg (250x250, 18K)

>eleanor tomlinson

Great breasts.

Attached: Eleanor Tomlinson-54.jpg (590x885, 75K)

Xenu be praised.

Attached: tom cruise.webm (1280x544, 2.79M)

This mini better fucking have Thunder Child

the BBC mini series coming out later this year (?) won't be a modernised adaptation and is supposedly more directly derived from the original source material, I can't fucking wait

I remember Speilberg did an interview where he was going to have the humans hit back the aliens just as hard and put up a great fight but then 9/11 changed his mind. Made me think Speilberg is an idiot.

9/11 ruined everything forever, fucking jews

Shallow critique

This. And that's pretty much the entire movie. What a complete disservice to the novel

>ywn watch a WotW film set in present day during which a lone A-10 Warthog, the last survivor of its squadron, callsign "Thunder Child", BRRRRRRTTTTTs the shit out of a fighting machine before being downed and smashing into a second fighting machine, buying enough time for a civilian airliner to taxi and takeoff

>just as hard
I don't like the sound of that. Makes me think of that Asylum movie where they turn jet fighters space capable and go to mars.
There has to be a balance, making the tripods invincible removes any point out of trying to fight at all but making the tripods get taken down by civilians or having the military easily destroy them like they're fodder is god awful too.

children need to grow up

How do you know it wasn't the blood that killed them? It's not like they're gonna drop dead the instant they inhale the common cold. They way I saw it, they got infected by earth microbes the second they came to earth, and died from it a few days later

>when you hear the sound

Attached: SCARED.gif (320x173, 1.17M)

Like this scene? only good part of the film btw

youtube.com/watch?v=UczxnDAsQjs

>According to Vanity Fair, Spielberg's relations with Cruise were "poor" during the film's release because Spielberg believed Cruise's "antics" at the time (such as an erratic appearance on the Oprah Winfrey show) had "hurt" the film.
Based Tom dabbing on the jews

Way to communicate without phones.

Possibly a mass suicide

Most passenger trains are computer controlled. Conducted by people who just need to apply the brakes.

None of this implies holocaust parralels.

Oh please even spielberg admitted he used holocaust references

The main characters are all really annoying and stubborn. I didn't care about them surviving because they were all just cunts.

>watch it as a kid when it came out expecting it to be a fun Spielberg alien invasion movie
>fucking traumatizing
>watch it again as an adult
>realize it's a 9/11 movie
>even more horrifying

>3) Set in NYC
it's set in fucking Boston and it's not even debateable

It's set between New Jersey and Boston

>BBC special effects
pass

on the plus side, it will have BBC's diversity standards

Aliens defeated, humans worldwide (including North Korea) acquire thousands of technologically advanced tripods with city-destroying weapons.
All the aliens had to do was leave them on the planet and let humans do the rest for them.

Attached: 1552850639467.jpg (1896x1080, 200K)

I'm back on board

If they don't show Eleanor Tomlinson's breasts then I don't want to know.

Attached: war of the worlds-2.jpg (2392x3000, 1.68M)

There's no ending. It's a fucking waste of time.

HOL UP

theyre not actually flying in the pal version???

>ROAHBBIE
>STAY OUTTAH THA AHMIE

>U HAZ TO LEG ME GOOO
>*runs up the hill into the fight without a weapon*
>*dies*
He was a good son.

ULLA

>tom cruise sucks as usual
stopped reading

>huddled masses and shit
jesus christ, listen to yourself. you are the very model of the disinterested zoomer. fucking neck yourself and spare us the pain of having to listen to your aimless, wandering shit-drivel.

You waste a lot of words saying a lot of nothing.

21st century version:

martians plan an attack on earth without doing any serious recon.

they show up in their cylinders. the only weapons they have are tripods with heat rays.

humanity is waiting for them with every means of causing death that the 21st century arsenal can bring to bear. every single thing, from railguns to cruise missiles to napalm.

martians get their shit pushed in. it'd be hilarious.

you have to look really close, but you can see beams coming down from those three spots on the underside.

I haven't seen the movie since it's release, but what was the idea behind the buried tripods?

Planted millions of years ago. Activated from space.

So why did they die to germs if they've been here millions of years?

Unironically my favorite Spielbergkino. I love this film so much

Recently saw this, the ending made me lose my shit.
>AND THEN THE ALIENS GOT SICK AND DIED, ROLLLL CREDITS :DDD

Bacterial life on earth is nothing like it was even a couple millions ago.

It cut out the Thunderchild. How the fuck do you adapt War of the World’s and leave out the coolest scene?

Attached: 33A9C1FE-DD70-4FC5-BFDC-8354B0252406.jpg (1032x774, 98K)

Attached: wotw.jpg (1038x590, 201K)

>The scene where the people in the cages get vored
I wish there was porn of that scene.