What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: file.png (777x480, 148K)

Whittu piggus don't cares about Kaiju kino

the only people that like the godzilla movies are soiboys from reddit.

i honestly don't get it. the movies are boring trash

Faggot mouse shill

it was a shit movie that no one with a brain gave a shit about?

Literally not even true
Godzilla fans are 40 year old boomers

Yeah, most Godzilla fans are literal unironic baby boomers who grew up watching VHS tapes of these movies in the 60s-70s and have never heard of reddit or this place.

Shitty dialogue, unninteresting or straight up boring human characters except for serizawa and a borjng anc cliche plotline with some mediocre monster fights in between, that happened

>budget: 170-220 million
>needs 500 million to break even

Explain

+ 100 to 150m marketing
studios take around 50% of the box office in the US, 25% in China (where it's making the most money) and 40% average from the rest of the world
deduct some tax breaks and product placement

Big summer tentpole movies have huge marketing budgets and the rule of thumb is to double the listed production budget to account for it.

Lets see. A niche foreign brand most people have heard about but don't really care for, and it has always had low acceptance in the West because most view it as trashy schlock. The general audience already had their fill of city smashing spectacle in tons of other movies, the fact that this one had the name Godzilla on it meant nothing for them, and the other monsters are literal whos to them as well. The 2014 movie tanked after opening week for not delivering on what the marketing promised, taking much of the GA's interest with it, so a lot of them didn't return for the sequel, especially after the massive 5 year release gap. Most of them weren't even aware that there's a Godzilla-Kong shared universe, so that aspect fell through too. And the director admits this is a movie "made by fans for the fans", like they didn't even attempt to aim for a larger crowd.
After all these, it almost barely even matters if the movie was good or not, a lot of people were already predisposed not to go see it.

>production is 200
>marketing is 150
>so 350
>600 to break even
Someone please explain, I'm stupid.

Attached: lo5ad7qsga531.jpg (1080x1349, 178K)

everyone wanted to see it...but then James gave it a lukewarm review. Most people don't care about the critics when it comes to godzilla movie...they only care about James opinion, a known curator of Godzilla films. He said it wasn't bad, but you can tell he had mixed opinions about it. And nobody is going to see a movie based on the "lukewarm" reception. Godzilla 2 will flop. It all depends on Godzilla vs Kong.

Attached: 1553063238259.jpg (481x682, 28K)

This is a pretty good analysis but I disagree that it doesn't try to appeal to a wider audience. It struck me more as a movie that tried way too hard to capture as broad an audience as possible because the studio execs overreacted to criticism of the first movie and tried to fix those issues in the worst way possible, by changing the tone to something more goofy and trashy, by trying to get the Marvel audience, by splicing up the monster action to spread it throughout the film and create the illusion there is more of it at the cost of reducing its quality and sense of impact, etc. Maybe the director just sucks and would have done something similar anyways, but I feel that a lot of this movie's problems are the direct result of damage control and overzealous course correction being mandated from on high several years too late.

Godzilla fans are mostly older nerds who appreciate movies with a more serious tone like 2014, they were just disappointed by the execution there. The broader audience was who they were gunning for here with the quips and the quick cut editing, and they both failed to capture the general audience for the reasons you mentioned and also alienated the fans by not taking the subject matter seriously this time due to the effort to lighten the tone.

There are only 4 Godzilla movies worth watching

1954, The Return of Godzilla, 2014 and Shin Godzilla

This, the fuck is going on?

The movie only gets to take home half of its income, the other half goes to the movie theaters.

>2014
No. KotM.
>Shin
It's not really that important unless you're Japanese or a weeb.

So basically every movie whefe godzilla is a treath to humanity

Truly the pleb filters

as it should be
(you're wrong though because 2014 isn't really like that)

That's a fair point, and yeah, while watching the movie some of the jokes and their placement felt so odd that it was almost like they were forcibly inserted to add broader appeal after people complained that the first one was too dry. But to me it often felt like the movie was shooting itself in the foot by undermining the seriousness it tried to build up with the monsters. I don't really know how the tone and jokes compare to Marvel movies though as I haven't seen any of those for ages.
A lot of the time the film felt like it embraced and played up the franchise's cheesy status, but that came with the risk of confusing and alienating those that actually liked the first one and driving away those who, as said, already considered monster films way too silly to begin with.

They didn’t include Jet Jaguar.

Attached: CA3603BC-81EB-4A88-AB80-899169BEB975.jpg (540x796, 179K)

That's not how break even works.
A movie needs to make 2.5 times its production budget in order to put on the path of break even. Meaning Godzilla needs to make 425 million worldwide, and then the ancillary market (home media/tv rights/merch etc) covers the rest of the costs.
That said it won't get there.

>feigning elitism
>in the fucking Godzilla fanbase

Attached: 1560229382347.gif (500x299, 1012K)

why did this movie cost 200 million to make when it looks like it cost 2 million?

Attached: 1556984844472.jpg (1080x1414, 178K)

I don't think you know how a 2 million movie looks.