How were the Hobbits made to look so small in Lord of the Rings without using CGI?

How were the Hobbits made to look so small in Lord of the Rings without using CGI?

Attached: emma smol.webm (1920x1078, 2.92M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s
youtube.com/watch?v=rP6omRRNum0&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they filmed the hobbits on green screen and put them in frame in post
it's shocking how well it turned out
the dvd release had a featurette on how they managed to pull off all the effects
pretty kino ngl

>you'll never have smol qt gf sit on your leg and listen to you ramble about your day

Why even live

Attached: noose3.png (1000x1502, 1.2M)

if you watched that featurette why would you not mention the perspective tricks

That's very interesting thank you.

youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s

Perspective tricks, body doubles (actual small people, idk what is the correct word for them these days), set design & props in different scales. Some really creative stuff for some sequences, for example in the Bree sequence the people walking are actually stunt men walking on stilts.

Also there are some CGI hobbit shots even in the LOTR trilogy, much more in the Hobbit trilogy though.

Some clips from the extras. I'd recommend seeking them out, there's much more information and it's fascinating what kind of tricks they came up with. The trilogy was the first time in movies that they did forced perspective with moving camera.

youtube.com/watch?v=rP6omRRNum0&t=

youtube.com/watch?v=QWMFpxkGO_s&t

they had the budget to actually shoot in Middle Earth so they cast hobbits. after all these years it’s still crazy to me that they gave Dead Alive Frighteners guy hundreds of millions to fly to Middle Earth and film the trilogy.

>guy on the left: "I'm acting"

I would be taking a lot more chances to grab her ass if I were him.

The character is meant to be comedically over the top in everything. You can't blame the actor for that.

>idk what is the correct word for them these days
Midge.

>idk what is the correct word for them these days
Freaks.

Body doubles and subtle CGI.

he comes off like a taller charls carroll just based on the body movements

IT gets old quick. Only good for winter. Small girls are dense and heat up accordingly. Their ears and head especially and when they place it on your chest it gets clamy very quickly (they breathe sharp shallow breaths and if you tell an interesting story their heart rates increase patpatpatpat - very distracting). It's uncomfortable and also they stir a lot and try to cuddle you in many ways. Only good for winter

because I watched it in 2003 when I was 9 years old

>much more in the Hobbit trilogy though
forced prespective stuff like in lotr would be too hard in the hobbit because of all the dwarves moving around all the time

they used a bigger camera

They used actual children in some scenes

Thanks for the input, robot.

Where do you live where your house is cold in winter? But this is all accurate, it's good to cuddle for a bit and then sleep as far from the other person as possible while still in the same bed.

>Where do you live where your house is cold in winter?
earth

Even when it's -30c outside in winter, inside the house is not cold, Finland here.

does everywhere have really good central heating?

Thanks for alleviating my bitter anguish by describing something that sounds fucking wonderful.

Girl on the right is trying to act, but can't stop thinking about the fact that she can feel his erection.

northerners have great heating and absolute dogshit a/c
t.dixieboy

so smol

Attached: 1484557284951.webm (640x800, 2.96M)

yes it is,
t. Finn in a shitty house.

Attached: le disapproving finn now in technicolor.png (635x441, 17K)

Makes you appreciate how much artistry went into those movies. I know there are people who think all stuff like this is just CGI.

the scene in the thumbnail looks kinda fake in the movie, since the actors are so obviously not looking at each other and the smoke from the teapot between them is behind Frodo and in front of Gandalf, ruining the illusion.

In the movie scene they're not meant to be directly opposite each other, though.

> patpatpatpat

Attached: 1557004079035.jpg (297x297, 40K)

then why are they both looking intensely straight ahead if the other person is somewhere else?

But they're not? Frodo looks to his right while serving the tea, also angling his body and reaching diagonally towards Gandalf, Gandalf first looks straight ahead while collecting his thoughts or whatever, and then in the close-up he looks to his right at Frodo.

Attached: 1558122623857.jpg (640x640, 46K)

Chad was the best.

Attached: Chad sees dead a person.webm (1920x1080, 2.75M)

>tfw no small abusive gf
Jesus...

Attached: 1557212739728.jpg (1128x868, 118K)

*ejaculates*

Attached: based.webm (1920x1032, 1.01M)

I wanna be the smol sitting on a giant woman's lap

I think I'm literally in love with Emma.

Attached: emma roberts dating simulator 2.webm (1000x563, 1.76M)

lol i wish that was me