What's your favorite obsolete video format?

For me? It's PSP UMDs must've watched Mr. and Mrs.Smith about 20 times how about you?

Attached: 1551045020286.jpg (800x450, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AfhYf79R1Ic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Divx, which were a version of DVDs created by Circuit City where you had to pay a fee every time you watched it, and your Divx player would connect to the internet and bill you once a month. Every single movie was formatted for full screen televisions because Circuit City thought widescreen was a meme

Attached: divx_2.jpg (500x396, 72K)

Game Boy Advance Video Cartridges. I had this pokemon one (found on ebay) and watched it all the time during car rides, back when the only way to watch anything on the road was to bring a portable dvd player that got super hot on your lap. Quality was pretty low compared to the actual TV version but it was something and that's all I needed

Attached: pokez.jpg (1600x1200, 352K)

vinyl

Attached: iu.jpg (1280x720, 456K)

Didn't know this format existed until now. Looked it up on Youtube. Very impressive for these cartridges. Why didn't games use this kind of tech for cutscenes?

Blue Ray

I remember downloading divx files and having no idea how to use them

it used up most of the cartridge

Watching shit on my psp was so incredibly comfy for some reason. Trying to watch a movie on my phone sucks but if I still had my psp I would be watching movies all over the fuckin place

DVD, I always really liked going through the special features, deleted scenes and whatnot. The animated menus were cool too.

>, back when the only way to watch anything on the road was to bring a portable dvd player that got super hot on your lap.

Hot or not, that's what I don't get, portable DVD players weren't THAT expensive. DVDs were cheap too. even if the DVD players were a little cumbersome they at least kept the popular media format.

wrong Divx. The Divx you're refering to was actually named after the one the other user was mentioning, which is why the codec was originally called "Divx ;-)" as a tongue in check reference to it.

The DVD one was short for Digital Video Express, and it needed to be plugged into a phone line just so it could work.

Once it failed, nearly all discs were destroyed, and the servers were kept online until July 2001, where CC shut down the servers and using the discs are now literally impossible since no one cares about cracking the DRM on that.

is abomination

also the video version where you had a CD player sized device with a 2" black and white screen and the only movie you could watch was shrek

Attached: 90skidzwillknow.png (374x308, 157K)

my dad has a laserdisc collection im hoping to get

season 1-2 twin peaks and a bunch of others

Attached: 41A9E8TC9VL._AC_UL320_SR278,320_.jpg (278x320, 15K)

For the time being, there was nothing like this on the market. You could not only play games, but watch movies, listen to music, access the web, Skype, emulate, and do all kinds of shit.
Had more fun with this then I'll ever have with my souless phone.

Attached: 20180824_121301702_iOS.jpg (4032x3024, 2.83M)

I unironically still carry a hacked PSP whenever I go on a long ride. Really helps not drain the phone battery too.

They did, but very rarely. I still remember the Raimi Spider-Man game on GBA had some cutscenes from the movie.

based
>desperately want to import one of these from Japan, pc engine within a laserdisc player

Attached: AD4A9117-1867-4FC7-99EA-10BBF0A3303F.jpg (678x399, 60K)

>"DIVX gold" discs that could be played an unlimited number of times on any DIVX player were announced at the time of DIVX's introduction, but no DIVX gold titles were ever released.

>The initial trial of the DIVX format was run in the San Francisco and Richmond, California, areas starting on June 8, 1998
>The format was discontinued on June 16, 1999

pretty sure it was just movie screenshots with text over it. hardly the same

No, there was full motion video too, but it was blurry and low-res as fuck. At least the intro was full-motion, not sure if there were any other instances.

yeah let's not talk about those holocaust flashbacks

It's really just that. Far worse then I remember them to be, and even back then it was uncomfortable looking at them. Games were dope as fuck tho.
youtube.com/watch?v=AfhYf79R1Ic

flip books. i found a cool one but the faggity image limit won't let me post it so fuck you forum.

I thought DIVX were playable twice, then unwatchable?

Thats why they cost 1/3 of a new dvd?
>Or am i wrong?

I still have mine

I remember a kingdom hearts that did.