I'm really enjoying the show so far...

I'm really enjoying the show so far, but it seems to me like Don's constant infidelities don't really suit the rest of this character. He seems like a guy with superb willpower, but despite being reminded time and time again that he's married to a wonderful and caring woman, he keeps sleeping around with sub-par women, and the lack of any sort of resistance on his part makes me really mad at him.

Let me stress it - I don't mind his infidelity, and I understand it's an important aspect of his inner struggles, but he seems way too quick to pull his pants down to any female who winks at him. Doesn't really match the rest of his character.

Am I wrong?

Attached: don-draper-1024x1024[1].png (1024x1024, 872K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qzPvx8VUSDw
imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt0804503,tt1764429
youtube.com/watch?v=BmH_0jYM614
youtube.com/watch?v=bQwgQRQJjfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dwwHmAF2iR8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I just watched this and I spent the entire series repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my sofa for the last 10 minutes it was so painful.

Is this a pasta or an actual roastie blabbering?

What confused me is that except for Betty, his taste in women is absolutely shit. Season 1 is the attack of the man face.

Who was the best character lads?

I'm no rostie, and no, this is not a pasta.

I'll also add that I understand why he'd fall for the Jewish lady in the first season, as she was great and I liked her a lot, but the beatnik slut and the MILF producer were just... what the fuck are you doing, man?

for me it's Roger the chad

Pete, the most relatable character.

I feel like Bobbie Barret is the most underrated of all Dons girls, something just clicks for me

Attached: bobbie_400x400.jpg (400x400, 24K)

His upbringing is mostly at fault here (S6 the Speed Episode explores this) he was born in a brothel and lost his virginity by being raped by a mother-like figure. He basically doesn't ascribe any value to sex other than just pleasure.

what if Mad Men was about an incel named Dick Whitman who works in the mailroom and secretly longs for that superhot executive named Peggy Olson to give him the time of day, would it have been a better, more realistic, show?

Yeah, and then this happens, and you feel so much cringe inside that you just want to turn the show off.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-21-21h25m34s047.png (1280x720, 617K)

let me guess, the show had you getting up and pacing a lot too?

I thought it was great and I also really liked her interaction with Peggy. What Don did to her (tie her up and leaver her in the hotel) was very rude. If she was MY mistress, I would cherish her all day long

The first couple episodes of season 6 I started growing tired of Mad Men, but in the end it became one of my favourite episodes. The Speed Episode was amazing

Peggy is my favorite

Maybe a few times. Why?

>I would cherish her all day long
That’s not what you do to a mistress.

She's a character only women can understand.

Teds shit with Peggy and his "depression" afterwards hits too close.
I also really liked his style

Forgot pic of the mad lad

Attached: Man with a Plan 1.jpg (1049x589, 57K)

Don has love addiction because he never got any as a child. He seeks it constantly but doesn't actually know how to feel and reciprocate it so he just looks for the next fix.

Its either Pic related or Megan user. Bobbie was just for the sex/dominate

Attached: 018E1B2B-FEE3-4B08-BF65-0671CE4D9B6A.jpg (800x800, 82K)

Why ? She worked her ass of to get what she wanted out of life and perused something she was good at regardless of people’s opinions. I think that’s relatable for both men and women.

Dr. Faye was bestgirl

I never understood why she slept with Pete in the first episode, how she managed to give birth without being aware of being pregnant, and I hated her for how she treated the baby.

A fucking roastie is what she is.

Op is correct, stop being a retard who yells roastie at everything he dislikes.

The chemistry between Peggy and Pete was really lacking during their affair

Peggy was supposed to be some sort of feminist icon the entire time. All those themes like stuck up girl finds """:freedom"""" are there.

Then you should hate Don and Betty for how hey treated their children as well. Why she slept with Pete? Don’t know, I think she was just naive maybe. That would explain the pregnancy to a degree. Betty was far more insufferable. I don’t know l, I relate to her on the working towards something you want, Starting from the bottom angle.

>man with a plan
Wait, that's not Dan Sch... oh wait, I know, he has a plan but he doesn't have a VAN

>Then you should hate Don and Betty for how hey treated their children as well.
Not the quoted but I did. Roger is one of the few characters that never pissed me off for real.

c'mon now

Attached: Joan-peggy-faye.gif (760x535, 165K)

He was a bit of a dick but for the most part he was a pretty cool guy. Maybe hitting on Dons wife In his home was a bit too far. I liked him in the later seasons when he became more self aware and introspective. It showed that there is something more to him underneath.

I'm interested in your perspective user, elaborate?

It has reddit-tier moments like pic related, but I'd say they're few and far between. Maybe my tolerance is just higher, tho.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-21-21h48m58s724.png (1280x720, 937K)

It’s literally just because of his upbringing. Also the show doesn’t get good till about season 4 so please stock to it.

What does “Reddit tier” mean? Can’t you articulate your thoughts like a normal human being?

>Betty
>Wonderful and caring

Pick one.

It means "low-brow and/or superficial" in Yea Forums lingo.

Punished Ken Cosgrove.

Attached: Ken-Cosgrove.jpg (650x400, 270K)

Attached: based pete.jpg (500x289, 176K)

She was, until Don ruined her with his antics.

The thing that people don't understand is that Mad Men's true genre is in fact "Horror".

Mad Men is one of the most uncomfortable pieces of media ever made. It shines a harsh light on some of the darkest aspects of the human condition that most people would rather be left hidden away.
There are episodes of Mad Men that are more heart stoppingly terrifying than any piece of horror cinema ever made. It's a deep fear, a real fear, an "American" fear. The type of fear that makes you want to tear off every inch of skin from your body and then throw salt on your wounds. I've felt this at least once in every season of Mad Men.

>He seems like a guy with superb willpower,
I really disagree with this, not sure where you are but keep watching. He strikes me as someone who is pretty compulsive and (relatively often) acts on whim.

Peggy was raised as a sheltered Catholic and I believe she was also on the pill for a while (perhaps not taking it correctly?) so it made sense to me she got pregnant on accident and didn't know it.

Yea Forums being the bastion of high end humor I suppose, kek. Mozart gag was something out of The Office. “The king ordered it” is my all time favourite though.

She was actually a really good wife when she was with Don, his cheating really ruined her. She was certainly not a perfect person but she did genuinely love him and was a good wife to him, and she even kept his identity secret no matter what.

I am intrigued by your post, but I must admit I've no idea what you're talking about.
Could you explain it a bit more clearly, or maybe provide some examples?
Or... are you just memeing around?

Yea Forums is (mostly) smart people acting like idiots.
Reddit is (mostly) idiots actins like smart people.

>There are episodes of Mad Men that are more heart stoppingly terrifying than any piece of horror cinema ever made.
Can you name one?

Attached: sally sees.jpg (545x299, 42K)

When his daughter says I love you the look on his face is the peak of the series to me

Maybe in 2007 now its all faggots everywhere they just have different buzzwords they agree or disagree with

Did you play LA Noire?

This is a thread about a television show for adults. Do not shit it up with your childish things.

OK. I'm sorry.

What would you do if Sally looked at you like this?

Attached: sally draper death stare.png (864x463, 403K)

Tell her her friend is a slut.

>checked
sally is the queen of contempt.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-17-21h41m09s236.png (1280x720, 883K)

Faggot. I loved Ken I would’ve totally played that game if I knew it was him.

Could Mad Men still be made today?

If you'd be willing to debase yourself by playing a video game then you're not fit to participate in Mad Men discussion.

It was made today.
Relatively.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-17-22h50m30s837.png (1280x720, 1.1M)

you’re not fit

been a while since I saw this meme

>if I knew it was him
>him
Dude.

Attached: 6iTMzx_ESARtgIoZZdFxbsUQj-uk1v8UOuLzrV5YS6k[1].jpg (2971x1587, 544K)

I think that despite his otherwise strong character, skills etc. he had a lot of self-hatred, and it might have been a sort of outlet and feedback loop for that. "I'm a piece of shit, so I might as well do this shit, and because I do this shit, I must be a piece of shit."

It wasn't necessarily a lack of willpower in resisting the temptations of the flesh and all that, but that he couldn't allow himself to be happy and so it became sort of a justification to keep hating himself.

kino

Makes sense. Didn't think about it like that. Thanks.

Wait is the entire cast of mad men in that game? I thought it was just ken. Never played the game properly tbf

Don't forget that janitor who Kinsey meets overnight.

youtube.com/watch?v=qzPvx8VUSDw

This is along the right lines, but I feel like it’s more about allowing himself to be free from the fake life he’s created, because that’s what he hates the most. Almost like all his successes were don drapers, not his own.

From what I remember, that picture doesn't even include all of the actors.

Here's a full list:
imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt0804503,tt1764429

A lot has changed in just the last few years. Mad Men Men was always left wing but not full modern day SJW. In 2019 I don't think we'd get a show like this where the characters are depicted as misogynist and racist by modern standards and yet still supposed to be likeable on some level.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-06-18-03h51m22s222.png (1280x720, 859K)

Roger
Based Rogerbro

Oh fuck off. I've been stuck here since '08 and I know for a fact that the "smart" people that pretended to be stupid and ironic are long gone. The massive wave after wave of shitposting trends should tell you immediately that the "smart" was replaced by phoneposting idiots with no real desire to communicate anonymously.

Eh, I get what you are saying but I can’t say that it’s “horror”. The “horror” elements are the ones where shit happens just out of fucking nowhere and that’s why it’s unsettling at times. The ones when they chopped off a leg of that lad with a lawnmower, the sudden death of that old lady ( by the way I am pretty positive there was a 666 sign in that episode) and many many others. The creators are very good at creating and leading to these unsettling and random moments.

You're really over exaggerating things. That show came out when things were the same as now, culturally, and in earlier seasons they stress (too much, sometimes to the detriment of the show) how bad a lot of the things depicted were, especially regarding some of the office politics and gender norms.

Also I'd say none of the characters were racist even by modern standards, with the exception of Roger and the Japanese but we were supposed to understand that was just his PTSD talking.

>the sudden death of that old lady
But that's the funniest scene in the whole show.

You're living in a fantasy. We would not get a show about a womanizing white man greenlit today. It would not have a near all white cast. If they did make Mad Men today it would be 40% black.

Harry is a little bit racially insensitive. He also has the biggest problem with homos. Pete yelled at Harry for being racist in that one episode, but he also doesn't like gays.

Harry was insensitive but he wasn't really racist either, he was just concerned about the bottom line instead of the "humanity" around King's death. I guess that was the first clues that Harry was turning into an asshole, since he didn't really start off as one.

And did you mean Pete or Harry disliked gays? Pete seemed disgusted by it but he also seemed to tolerate it in Bob and similarly "tolerated" it with that guy who was scamming his mom, though he had legitimate reasons to dislike that guy.

I totally agree with that being the big issue, and that's a great point. The adage is that a man is defined by his actions, not by who he is, or thinks he is, on the inside. But what if the man isn't controlling his actions, but the actions are controlling the man?

I can see how it might have been one of the few instances where he felt he had some semblance of choice or control, even if those choices were bad.

Harry made more comments about it, like when that European guy told everyone he's homosexual. Pete also told Bob that he's sick, but he also disliked him for other reasons too I guess.

Ginsberg

>drinking problem, even by his colleague’s standards who all drink like fish
>flies off the handle and smashes his bar like 10 times in the show
>fucks literally anyone who will let him with like 2 exceptions
>constantly making dumb power moves that often land him in hot water
>can’t stand being upstaged by anyone, ever, even people he likes like Peggy
Don was deeply flawed, that’s the point. I wouldn’t say he was strong-willed, just ambitious and found something he excelled at. He gives into temptation constantly in the show, and lets his feelings dictate his behavior.

I mean it’s funny in a dark way. Give me a sec I’ll looking for that 666 sign which apparently no one noticed except me

that's what I was talking about. it's in the same episode miss blanckenship dies

Attached: 123.png (1366x768, 2.11M)

Thought the show occasionally liked to throw in weird little things like that, like that shirt that Megan wore that was like one Sharon Tate wore in something.

But yeah that scene with the old lady dying was supposed to be dark comedy, though Roger's little speech about her was nice.

Roger Pagliacci

Attached: roger.gif (270x152, 1.61M)

Attached: A6D185D5-76E2-473A-B94F-601AFD9CE383.png (1200x675, 1.72M)

Did Mad Men get less interesting for anybody else in the last couple of seasons? I thought it was pretty dull for the first season but then I really got into it all of a sudden and marathoned 2 - 5 in a really short time. The last couple of seasons I found pretty underwhelming but I don't know if that's because the show had gone on too long or it was just a worse experience watching an episode a week instead of binging.

i mean it's good cuz it's not very heave handed and in your face. that's what I like about this show

People always bring up Pete and Peggy for great character development over time (and rightly so) but Roger is really horribly underrated as a character in that regard. Especially when you take his war traumas into account. Plus comparing him to Don is interesting, they start off somewhat similarly but end up so completely different.

I’m like 5 episodes in to season 7, and it’s provably my favorite so far. Season 4 kinda staggered for me with a lot of meandering subplots, but it pays off too.

I think that probably happens with most shows when you watch it all at once. When I'm watching shows on Netflix I usually take a break between seasons to watch other things.

For me the last 4 or so episodes of season 3 combined with all of 4, 5, and 6 were the peak.

That was racially insensitive, yeah, but Roger was never depicted as disliking black people and blackface was only starting to be seen negatively at around that time (for instance iirc Don doesn't care about it but Pete seems to dislike it).

I am rewatching it right now and it's as good as the first time. idk for me it only gets better with each season.

For me it was the last three episodes of Season 6, and the last two of Season 7. Especially the second to last episode. The most emotional I've ever felt watching a TV show.

The Monolith is ominous.

Roger, Bert, and Lane in no specific order. Cutler was great too

Patrick Melrose was made a year ago, mate.

Based Roger.

Attached: 1560486952485.jpg (443x750, 46K)

This would be considered an alt right scene in 2019

what's your favorite episode lads? Mine is probably when Don goes to Cali at the end of season two and disapperas for 3 weeks.

>unsettling at times
There are unsettling moments, like Zu Bisou and Sal with Lee Garner Jr., but the scenes you listed were the two funniest moments of the show.

personally i think madmen is the only show that gets better with every season. it could just be growing attachment to characters and their development though. for me season 1 is the weakest

I agree. The pilot was especially bad, actually, and doesn't fit with the rest of the show (it seemed to imply that Don hit on all his secretaries, something he actually didn't do often in the rest of the show).

fucking retard

patrician

Attached: OUT OF MY WAY FAGGOT.jpg (820x790, 72K)

>show isnt good until season 4
How can you have such shit taste?

>There are unsettling moments, like Zu Bisou and Sal with Lee Garner Jr.
No I think they were just cringy but not unsettling. Lane’s suicide - unsettling, Ginsberg’s nipple - unsettling

for me, its duck

For me, it's the computer that makes people gay

This show is just incel wish fulfillment. You get to see all your based alpha man fucking hot women every episode but they keep him just beta and depressed enough so that INCEL GAMERS will still be able to identify with the guy on some level.

>Why does a man with will to power fuck women?
You're either braindead or a woman, but I repeat myself.

based technophobe

>with superb willpower
based on what? He's really great as his job but don't confuse charisma for will. He's insecure, he snaps at others unnecessarily because he feels slighted, he's not particularly patient, he doesn't take being told no well at all - infidelity sounds right in line.

Don is a huge coward

Dr Faye would have been perfect for Don if he wasn't such a broken insecure man. She was too good for him.

same here, I think he was a good lad on the inside but his environment made him shitty. but I saw alot of myself in him, Im a high level salesman in a state sized hardware store that sells to factories. and a few things that happens to him has happened to me.

Couldn't agree more. Season 4+ feels like a completely different show from Season 1-2.
Not that the first two seasons are bad but it feels like the show was still finding it's footing

You know Pete is an amazing character when you start off hating him and by the end of the show you're rooting for him

joan is beautiful but i hate her body its just to much in the right places, she might as well be a blow up doll. neck upwards is 10/10. peggy is a cute but a dead personality.

Hating Pete ever is max s0i. He was based as fuck right from the start

What about that hot brown bitch he fucked when he went to california in season 2.

the hell is with you all and 14 year old girls.

He was a sniveling little bitch at the start.

redpill women cant drive for shit.

is this a paper you're writing for film school or something?

I identified with him 100% from his very first scene. Very cool character

Pete is so unlikeable at the beginning. He's a spoiled rich kid who is gunning for Don. He even tries to sell out Don by telling Cooper that he's actually Dick

>smart people acting like idiots
you sweet summer child

Best girl in terms of looks

Attached: madmengirl.jpg (720x406, 36K)

He grew up in a brothel.
There's a saying, take the girl out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl.

Pete's arc might be my favorite in any show ever.

That's a based archetype though. I unironically liked Joffrey a lot too

this scene/arc always seemed kind of out of place to me. i know they were trying to frame the conflict between don and ginsberg and how the firm was now making edgier pieces, but these ads just kind of seem to be tonally inconsistent with a lot of their other work.

youtube.com/watch?v=BmH_0jYM614

He's such a manchild in the first season, but in the second to last episode when he's talking to Trudy I was on the edge of crying for him.

Joffery was ruthless and hilariously evil with power to back it up so it was entertaining. Pete was a spineless bitch sucking up to everyone he could and backstabing everyone to get a leg up. Pete was pretty similar to Harry actually. I but love scumbag harry in the later seasons. Such a sleaze ball

Of course I read it as

>The Sneed Episode

What was the best ad?
Hardmode: no carousel

that's what you did with an unwanted, out of wedlock, baby back then, you went away, had the kid, gave it up for adoption, and came home and pretended it never happened, you didn't just have its head snipped off and its body vacuumed out of you like now

Virgin Mary handing out popsicles.

>affair
there wasn't supposed to be any chemistry, just Pete being a pushy creep

Attached: 0654840A-1D93-42D0-9CE3-EBA20705A38F.jpg (1592x2442, 737K)

that part was hilarious, go back

Agreed

you're hysterical
>slaps your silly ass

beans

The Hilton ad

>Mad Men Men was always left wing
nope, it always rode the line right down the middle so skillfully it's still hard for me to say if it leans ever so slightly right or slightly left even after having watched it several times

It had black and gay characters depicted in non villainous ways. Definitely not right wing. Take it from me, I'm right wing as fuck and if somebody with my politics was writing on this show then Don would have curbstomped Sal to fuck right there in the office

I still want to see the slow-motion bean ballet, I think it would have been kino

>wonderful and caring woman
His wife is a literal child, notice all the women he sleeps with are mature in ways his wife isn't

Don would be the last person to do that since he can relate to someone hiding his true self. Nice attempt for a self insert though.

>It had black and gay characters depicted in non villainous ways
sorry but your idea of what "right wing" is is childish and a man-of-the-world like Don curb stomping Sal for being a closeted fag is silly

"Does that make you think of suicide?"
"Of course, that's what's so great about it"

Attached: jumpingoff.jpg (623x300, 43K)

He did later on.

youtube.com/watch?v=bQwgQRQJjfQ

That was my other choice, yeah. It was more of a painting than an ad, honestly.

i liked peggys ads (lipstick, popsicle, and burger chef) because they are feminine

I missed Sal in the later seasons, but this guy was based

Attached: Mad-men-stan-tie-head.jpg (630x353, 25K)

How long until people like this become such a cringy laughingstock that they disappear from the internet, like all those neckbearded fedora atheists from the early 2010s?

mad men has perhaps the dumbest plot twist of any tv show I've ever seen

>How long until people like this become such a cringy laughingstock that they disappear from the internet
When you leftists complete your destruction of the white race I suppose.

Reminds me of that copy pasta about a sperg going on about killing jocks in gladiatorial games as his vision for “true sport”

which twist are your referring to?

The Cure for Common Breakfast

It's explained why he acts so sexually irresponsible eventually, but yeah desu it's probably the nerdy jew writers living out their chad fantasies like most TV is.

this dumb bitch running over the english fags foot was pure kino, kek'd and rekt

Cure for life....cereal

why would you *choose* to be gay

Hit me in the face with a Sno-ball!
or
Finally something beautiful you can truly own.

enjoy the rest of your life...cereal

friendly remidner Ginsberg would have inevitably overtaken Don and Peggy and become the head ideas man had the writers not decided to "kill" him off for whatever reason.

Attached: artilleries faux mad men ad - pete.png (500x640, 585K)

That was Joy, played by Laura Ramsey

Attached: Joy_mad_men.jpg (590x375, 59K)

his arc was similar to pete's in the sense that you start off hating him and end up loving him

Which California episode was the best?
For me, its clearly The Jet-Set.

Attached: Don_In_Cali.jpg (902x600, 143K)

I'll never forgive Weiner for not bringing Sal back even briefly.
The actor had other commitments so he had to be written off.

I love the office vibes in the later seasons. The first 3 seasons are more serious and I hate Don with the kids and betty.

that's a damn shame, as Ted said, Ginsberg was "lightning in a bottle".
in the writer's defense i'll at least say they clearly established he was a bit unstable from the start.

I just rewatched the premiere of season 3 and I have to tell you the office vibes were really fun. I had to laugh a lot more than I remember.
There was a scene where the boys were smoking cuban cigars and I was thinking by myself "damn, I would've loved working in that office"

not on my watch

Fun fact: the guy who played Sal was fired by Weiner because he made fun of Weiner's fat son on set. He was the kid who played Glen.

The arc with Betty's dad is so fucking boring it's crazy

youtube.com/watch?v=dwwHmAF2iR8

this scene is very different in retrospect

That ad with Topaz Pantyhose
"Always less expensive, never cheap"
"I thought it was gonna say Two for one, twice the fun"
"That REALLY sounds cheap"
Ginsberg was increible