Why was it panned by critics, Yea Forums?

why was it panned by critics, Yea Forums?

Attached: under the silver lake.png (1218x1803, 3.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=a24.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why was it panned by (((critics))) I wonder

This movie is incredible. I picked up pretty quick it wasn't going to be conventional and treated it is more as just an experience than a film to be appreciated. But I'm still thinking about the shit in it. Like everyday a scene or theory pops up in my mind and I can't say any other movie has had this affect. So I guess my answer is that its a sort of developed taste that critics didn't have time to fully process.

i agree but i think critics disliked it because it was just anti-hollywood. like the same reasons nearly all critics praised la la land when it came out

it was panned because it was literally a documentary.

for real though the scene with the songwriter is one of my favorite moments from a recently released movie. wish more people would have seen it and talked about it. I'm glad RLM covered it so more people will at least hear of it

It's a disillusioned view of the dark side of the entertainment industry. Budding stars need to turn to prostitution to make ends work. A key plot point being that everyone is usually too stupid to understand hidden meanings in media also rubs (((them))) the wrong way.

And yeah, I'd agree. His constant shifts between melodies as Garfield just stands there flabbergasted was such a good fucking scene.

knew a24 was shit but they're double shit for burying this flick

>flick

Attached: 249.jpg (600x600, 35K)

bump

they were worried cause it got such negative reviews they didnt want to pour money in to it if they thought it was going to do badly

They knew the low IQ audience wouldn't appreciate it and those expecting a more straightforward film akin to It Follows would be disappointed. It's not without it's flaws but it's easily my favorite of 2019 thus far. Reminds me of Richard Kelly and Southland Tales - ambitious follow up to a strong first film. Hopefully it doesn't bomb Mitchell's career.

It's a nonsensical wankfest with no people of colour in sight.

I liked it though, maybe i'm wrong but what I took it as all this craziness he's experiencing is because he's reeling from his gf dumping him.

it's not doing too well at the box office especially compared to a24's other films. but i'll predict that it'll become a cult film in about 10 years or so when people revisit it

boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=a24.htm

Attached: UTSL box office.jpg (603x49, 9K)

>memba hitchcock
>memba james dean
>memba nintendo????
>memba pop culture?
>memba your childhood?

fucking trash
ready player one for even bigger retards

It's kino, but they could have done well if they marketed it primarily as a stoner flick.

i wouldn't say it's a "stoner flick"... stoner flicks are usually dumb american comedy bro movies but this has more drama and thriller elements. but as a general statement a24 do market their movies nothing like what the films are like- probably why hereditary and it comes at night did so well at the box office

this and it's not like a24 are new to or above using completely dishonest marketing tricks

andrew garfield can't act

>it's not doing too well at the box office especially compared to a24's other films.
they didn't even try marketing or giving it even a decent limited release. tbqh it's pretty obvious that they have no confidence in anything they're releasing this year except for midsommar.

I love this movie. Such a pleasant surprise.

It reminded me of the story about Picasso meeting the art forger Orson Welles talks about in F for Fake.

Attached: image.jpg (236x445, 24K)

the film has a lot of plot threads and some of them are dead ends or dont have nice tidy arcs. that could have confused critics but i think the way i saw the film was as just following Sam's character through all the shit he goes through and just that as an experience is what made the film super enjoyable. but a lot of film critics must have their certain criteria how plot must be structured to be a "good" film etc. etc.