Attached: Untitled.png (1152x834, 437K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=krzZjE83CKY
flaunt.com/content/nicolas-winding-refn-too-old-to-die-young
filminquiry.com/too-old-to-die-young-s1e1-2/
youtube.com/watch?v=YhAMxaJ3IGk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, it's not but it was quite good.

I'm reluctant to watch it but a white male director receiving praise would probably come across as a 'call to arms' for these people.

I can't take the long pauses between the dialogue and the slow camera tracking

It shits on Hollywood culture.
The nazis=republicans scenes are so over-the-top satirical Refn comes off as de facto pro Nazi.
Uses the elite's occult imagery against them.
Exposes border human trafficking.

To name a few obvious things.

Why does all his shit promote incest?

They're plebs and they're getting filtered

Episode 2 was the most kino thing I've seen in ages. You can show it in theaters as a standalone movie, it's so good. The critics are plebeians

How can a show be as good and as shit at the same time? I don't get it.

it's shit

First half hour is a bit rough but it gets quite good as it progresses. Ending is kino.

It's degenerate, and scathing in its rebuke of degeneracy.

See above.

Brubaker and Refn are a really good team.
Was a neat take on Tarot occultism and noir.

Will there be another season?

No lol

The first series of Too Old to Die Young premiered on Amazon Video on June 14, 2019.

There has been no announcement yet whether the show will be back for a second series.

However, show creator Nicolas Winding Refn has hinted that it might be a one-off project.

The show is comprised of 10 episodes of varying lengths, which total around 13 hours in total.

The director has described it not as a television show, however, but as an extended film.

Dude nothing happens therefore it's friggin superior

Even if Refn wanted to (which he probably wouldn't)
>show probably cost the studio a shitton of money
>was marketed as a miniseries
>Amazon is basically trying its best to hide the show (doesn't show up on the front page of Prime, you have to manually search for it)
There won't be a second season

>Amazon is basically trying its best to hide the show (doesn't show up on the front page of Prime, you have to manually search for it

What's the reasoning for this?

>What's the reasoning for this?
They're afraid.

Those are all faggot papers.

youre a white male incel

It doesn't seem true. It shows up i 'recommended TV' for me as the third option.

can not wait for Armond's review

Was the Mexican manlet fucking his mother?

No, but he wanted to.

If Amazon is like Netflix, it hidden because you've already watched it.

He said that she would suck him off though, something was definitely going on

currently watching. I don't know what you fags were crying about. episode 2 is incredible. the slow as fuck pace suits it so well.

Wouldn't you? She was fucking hot

I find it infuriating. There's literally at least 5 seconds between any dialogue. It makes the characters come off retarded

He was delusional and wanted the succ from the priestess.
But we liked it?

Can i get a quick rundown of this show?

>the slow as fuck pace suits it so well
Exactly, it creates a perfect balance between being tranquil and intense. It actually lets you soak things in and think things over while also knowing that anything could happen next

What's with the weird music and what instrument is making all those high pitch sounds?

Retards either want Drive 2 or Cop Show, it's not. Refn is delivering true noir and it's a great atmospheric piece. Episode 5 is incredible.
google "synthesizer" you fucking mongoloid

How come Amazon keeps delivering better stuff than Netflix?

I think it's a theremin

I only have 1 week left for my free trial. I don't know what to watch

i had some problems with the show, particular the last few eps but what amuses me is how utterly irrelevant the critics are with cases like this. amazon has a fuck ton of money to throw at guys like NWR. the show is already made. what is going to happen from some shitty reviews? they don't let him make another show? they already had financed part of the Neon Demon which barely made anything at the BO and was similarly polarizing. i don't think they really give a fuck. and NWR, to his credit, is an artist and definitely doesn't

Deutschland 83

He's a white male.

So what's your favourite scene, Yea Forums?

Damian laughing.

Or Janey talking about Montana.

There a point in the second episode where a total of ~25 seconds passes by and literally nothing transpires on the screen. There is no inherent meaning to the character's waiting to speak, it's just a pause. It's nothing, it almost feels like padding but with Refn you know this is on purpose.

Pure. Kino.

Cartel Boss getting milked by his Demon Semen gf.

Cartel boss tasting his mother

youtube.com/watch?v=krzZjE83CKY

This was comfy.

>2011 critics praise Refn's "Drive" which had slow pace

>2019 critics hate slow pace

Is it just me or are critics getting worse every year?

looks like something a first year USC film school student would make

refn is such a reddit hack

one is a tv show and another is a film retard, a slow pace over 2 hours is not the same as a slow pace over ten episodes

OH MANDYY

Yikes

Evil men getting BTFO by strong women.

>it's a Mistress T episode

Can someone explain pace to me like I'm a brainlet

High Arcana + Noir.

I can't stand this guy's face

Attached: 1560540539-toooldtodieyoung.jpg (700x423, 48K)

Attached: miles.png (745x745, 653K)

Brubaker writes some good comics.
How much Jenna Malone is in it?

Attached: criminal.jpg (585x900, 139K)

Why do critics hate it then?

>the problem of the unsupervised auteur

Attached: 1517073180043.png (300x300, 3K)

Not enough quips

so kind of like refn himself

I'm gonna take 10 minutes to walk across the room and tell you. Please try not to fall asleep or lose enthusiasm for this interesting thing.

I am sorry Nicolas, 1.25 speed

>unsupervised auteur
as opposed to one created by a committee

quite a bit, she's pretty good in it as well. one of her better performances

based

flaunt.com/content/nicolas-winding-refn-too-old-to-die-young

Why did she need instructions on how to pleasure herself?

Solid review
filminquiry.com/too-old-to-die-young-s1e1-2/

>Brubaker
nice, did not know that

haven't watched it, but I still will never understand how someone could hate Only God Forgives

It's on the credits

netflix thinks its audience are all the 16-29 year old women who watched Friends reruns

Amazon knows its audience is everyone who buys shit online using prime

Are there any other series similar to this? I was mesmerized

i didn't bother to look

Closest in terms of themes and stuff, probably Boss (2011).

It's not really visually the same, but it does play around with colors and the characters are all reprehensible garbage.

True Detective season 2
Twin Peaks season 3

Attached: 1503286576594.jpg (469x349, 25K)

imagine being such a faggot that you think that a bunch of mexicans in slow motion on episode two is PURE ART. remember pele? fuck you.

the show is schizo shit.

NWR has the balls to create a whole monologue about the glorification of violence and he is so deep into his own euro trash ass that he cannot see himself as part of the problem.

insane.

Raised in America is Yuro?

>The nazis=republicans scenes
Are you sure? I saw some shit where the Mexicans were spouting the same shit. My only recommendation for watching this series is to just turn off all of your instinctive censoring and detective skills and observe things as they come. There's not much to the story beyond man's arrogance will be his undoing. And I don't see any evidence of there being any particular prejudice towards either side of the political spectrum. Evil doesn't need a party affiliation to exist.

my dad is 100% unpretentious and he fucking loves it
he also loved twin peaks the return

not completly wrong. even this show clearly had a person that come and ask refn to change the pace, because episode three until the end have a completly different structure from the rest of the show.

One is a 2hr movie, the other is 10 episodes with a runtime of 60-100 minutes. Besides, the movie is never meandering between 10 side stories that are told in "character speaks 5 words -> 10 seconds silence -> other character responds followed by a 15 second camera pan"-scenes.

please, every scene with the mexican cartel is pure glorification. martin and viggo killings are always dry - except for viggo last work: a trailer park. them its an edgy montage because killing white people is beautiful, specially 'trailer trash'.

Probably because she has been enlightened to so much pain and misery in the world for so long, she never experienced pleasure until the future was revealed to her.

>every scene with the mexican cartel is pure glorificatio
Gay manlet with mommy issues was a glorification? I don't think so.Nobody in this film was a hero, nor were they supposed to be.

Based dad

keep seething, pleb.

look at the aesthetic approach to martin killing a guy on an abandoned mall while viggo is having an attack and almost pucking his own lungs and compare to mexican fag manlet and bitch witch ninja tarot reader always doing stuff in slow motion under great lightining, vivid colors, eletronic beats or edgy song about fisting.

complete different approaches for scumbag characters - martin and viggo being less scumbags, viggo being NOT a scumbag actually.

pretty clear a difference, user.

>oh he is talking again about pele, he is senile, thats gold writing right there! >claps.

It's an interesting show but as far as creator driven television goes it falls short of Twin Peaks' new season or The Young Pope. There's certainly a lot to like about Too Old To Die Young both visually and thematically bit it's both excessively slow and doesn't really go anywhere. It often come close to making a point but it never really arrives there.l which makes it frustrating.

Lemme just...

Attached: gotta go.png (505x92, 5K)

It's super boring

lmao you're actually seething

Each episode is just an examination of a Tarot Card and its potential meanings.

The reason you’re not “finding” a point is because the point is the title of the episode and you’re looking to hard to find something that is not there.

because incest is the thinking white man's fantasy

Attached: 1558276550413.jpg (840x941, 188K)

Slow motion and edgy music still do not constitute "glorification". Not even remotely. There's a point being made in the series, and it has to do with the irony of everything thing these characters stand for, versus their actions. As I said before, there are no heroes here. It's pointing out how evil is entangled in everything we do, no matter how convinced we are of the contrary.

I agree. I liked TP season 3, The Knick more than this. Of course The Young Pope is the best out of this auteur driven shows, that one was a masterpiece.

Attached: youngpope_105_106.jpg (1753x995, 198K)

WHAT THE FUCK WAS WRONG WITH JENA MALONE’S EYES?!?!?!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

I wish the show had gotten into its supernatural elements more. For a show where the episodes are all names after Tarot cards it seemed to be strangely shy about those.bit was only teasing them occasionally up to the very last episode.

I think it did fine with the names and stories that were told on an episode by episode basis as relates to the Arcana chosen as the subject, but yeah I agree more of that bizarreness would have been great.

There are still 12 more Major Arcana to go though if there’s ever an s2, but ending it on ‘The World’ is a pretty big punctuation mark.

I’m still working on a more fully fleshed analysis of how the titles and characters correspond and interact with each other over the course of the story.
I don’t mean who or what relates to which Arcana which is I think pretty straightforward, but rather how the episodes could play out as a reading of the cards.
Unfortunately my knowledge of Tarot is really elementary, so it’s possible my assumptions are just flat out wrong.
Doubly disappointing is that I don’t think any so-called “reviews” have taken this approach to reading the show so I’m a bit rudderless. Just trying to do a dive into Tarot stuff.

What I’m really curious about is how much of the ideas were Brubaker’s and how much were Refn’s because I’m really familiar with both of their work, but had a hard time telling what were Brubaker’s contributions. I’m thinking the Tarot theme was Brubaker’s idea, but it’s hard to say.

Has Brubaker referenced mysticism before? All I know him for is Winter Soldier, to be honest. Refn, on the other hand, has referenced Jodorowsky a few times, who's a big mystic so I'd normally assume it was his idea.

The problem of the unsupervised auteur AKA "WWWAAAAAAAAHHH why doesn't this have quips and action beats like my capeshit, why is this so violent, women get hurt, every film and TV show should jew producer like Kevin Feige to make sure it follows a rigid formula that's safe and familiar!"

Yeah he definitely has. Check out Fatale, and Kill or Be Killed (to a lesser extent), there are some other bits thrown in there too.

Out of curiosity, did you read the actually titled Winter Soldier series he did before he left Marvel? Post BuckyCap? One of my favorite cape comics desu.

Refn said he’d worked with Brubaker before TOTDY and I can’t for the life of me find what they did together.

I’m 100% sure Brubaker scripted that opening for the first episode though.

Also, unrelated but the scene where Yaritza slaps the shit out of Janey was really good.
Nell Tiger Free was almost the best thing about this show, but Damien and based Viggo (probably a Brubaker idea), were just too good.

Why did Damien sell Martin out?
Did Martin actually kill Cartel’s mom?

I also liked the part where they went out of their way to have Alfonso Banepost. Just drops out of Spanish to say “Me and my men”

For me, it's Amanda.

Where is the incest in Drive?

Someone redpill me on the snake.
And the hands around the pillar before he sees the snake.

That scene was easily the most bizarre and that includes the eyes weirdness.

yeah
there's a lot of this 'something's happening constantly' stuff, feeling almost like 'something has to happen all the time', when it doesn't, in all meanings

Its 13 hours long, is it really worth watching?

I’d say so. It’s visually stimulating enough, at the worst.
If you like pretty things, you might like this.

There’s no reason to rush through it though.
Refn says it’s a 13 hour film, but really it’s a 13 hour collection of 30 minute-2 hour stories.
I think you can watch it in just about any order.

Episode 3 is the most classic Noir feeling of the 13. It’s also my favorite. Maybe start there?

>of the 13
Sorry, of the 10

Are there any episodes I should skip?

no. episode 2, for instance, doesn't feature miles' character at all but it's still important and actually a very good watch

but there's a bunch of scenes in almost every episode maybe you could fast-forward if you want, since refn does like to take his time with camera pans or following characters around.

Being slow isn't the same as being interesting. Indulgence isn't the same as being visionary. I liked parts of it a lot, but the negative reaction isn't and shouldn't be surprising.

bump

Does Arnold like Refn?

Drive was slow?

Refn is Yea Forums. Nolan is reddit.

watched every episode and pretty sure i didnt understand most of it

This was my first exposure to Refn. What else should I check out?

Do you mean The Young Pope? It's a character study with some other themes also explored.
Everything. Pusher 2 and Pusher 3 are his best films.

Attached: The Young Pope.jpg (1404x1403, 819K)

youtube.com/watch?v=YhAMxaJ3IGk

What is the point of this film? Also short film thread.

Attached: gillettead.jpg (1280x720, 72K)

wtf i love this shit show now because critics dont like it????

Drive, then the first Pusher film. If you enjoyed him thus far, finish the Pusher trilogy then watch Bronson and then Valhalla Rising.

a lot of Yea Forums users apparently like Only God Forgives and The Neon Demon, so yeah probably /sarcasm

What's it about?