Why did Amazon choose the worst book in the series to adapt to TV?

Why did Amazon choose the worst book in the series to adapt to TV?

Attached: 1519225891523.jpg (349x524, 40K)

Probably because it's the least fantastical story and would be the cheapest to film

Doesn't Consider Phlebas have a solar system-sized ringworld blow up?

>DUDE MEGASTRUCTURES AND CANNIBALISM LMAO

When will Based Bezos fund the Red Mars miniseries we all deserve, Yea Forums?

Attached: red mars.jpg (1600x763, 244K)

Why would that be difficult to animate?

The orbital destruction scene is basically just a series of bright flashes, they could do it easy although it won't look impressive.

Its going to be dogshit but the book isnt very good anyway so whatever.

Attached: gridfire.jpg (1553x635, 213K)

right after that $1 billion adaptation of the three-body problem and the also $1 billion LOTR prequel.

what's with the reddit spacing?

suck my dick faggot

because it's one of the few with a marketable protagonist
it's hard as fuck to sell people on a story about ships emailing each other even if ultimately it makes a better book
personally I feel like they should have gone with player of games, though
it's an easy intro to the culture, it has compelling main characters and the premise is an easy one to attract a young audience to build on with future movies

>let's do Player of Games, where in a man plays a complex game the rules of which the author didn't even bother to establish
>let's do Excession, where most of the relevant plot takes place in emails between spaceships
>let's do Use of Weapons, where the only interesting aspect is the deliberately confusing chronological structure and the le tweest at the end
Banks is an asshole and his books are assholes. It's not Culture but Feersum Enjins was the worst thing I've ever read.

They're all aiming way too high with no possibility to deliver on the entirety of the series. I'd rather adapt something small like Blindsight, for example.

Attached: blindsightcover.jpg (350x518, 48K)

is that the one with a space vampire?

you'd like that, wouldn't you?

yes

the rules of the game don't matter
the point was the interaction of cultures
the whole deal with that book is explaining what the Culture is like compared to our culture

>the point was the interaction of cultures
And one of those cultures was based on the rules of a game that is not explained
You're not seeing their culture, you're just looking through the eyes of a tourist saying "golly, look at all this shitty shit they do here"
Banks had a good idea but as always the execution left a lot to be desired

Because it's about an outsider being introduced to the Culture over time, which is the best way to write about a vast, complex fictional civilisation.

you'd better go read it again, user

Why would I inflict it upon myself

This, but they would ruin it so maybe it's better not to. You'd need someone who really likes the book and is invested in making it a success.

it's a good book and you might come to understand it better
and you'd get laughed at less

Would like to see The Player of Games but I suppose I would watch Considering Phlebas. I am surprised they are not going for Surface Detail, since its so fucked up and horrific and thoroughly modern.

Maybe you could explain it to me

Because idiots like it.

Books cannot be adapted into movies. Even the LOTR movies had to completely gut the books to make them into sub-par children's movies.

stop using buzzwords to try and fit in you dumb newfag

Attached: 1528489890374.png (866x475, 53K)

I hate reddit as much as the next faggot here, but paragraphs are fucking nice for reading comprehension.

it's not the kind of thing that can just be explaiend
you said you don't get to see their culture
you get to see loads of their culture
if I gave you examples to prove it then I'd just be reading the book to you

lol, there are so many levels of retardation here
two returns gets you a paragraph break
to get a line break, replace the first return with two spaces
just like old school typing

I don't give a shit about reddit spacing, but that user wasn't even using it

>>>let's do Excession, where most of the relevant plot takes place in emails between spaceships

this but unironically

for real
it's my favourite
we just have to figure out how to bring the format onto the screen

Their culture is built around the game and the rules of the game are not explained
We see how awful they are, we see all the homeless people, we see the rampant classism but while Banks keeps telling us how the game reflects the society as a whole it's just surface level, he refers to it and then doesn't develop it in any way
If you're not going to explain why I'm wrong you're forcing me to continue thinking I'm right, in which case you're fucking wrong you fag

as I said, go and read it
pay more attention this time
you're seeing all the trees but not the forest

i read it and it's poorly written. the fact that he didn't come up with any rules or explanation of the games was sheer laziness. the story was superficial and lame. the ending was trash

the rules are not the point
including some would have been a massive distraction from the actual point
you complete ignoramus

>the actual point
but what IS the actual point
>inb4 "why don't you :) reread this awful book so that you :) will understand the thing I claim to understand"
Nah fuck off mate you're trash and your taste is trash and Banks is trash

>it's a book about a game
>the rules and objective of the game are never explained
yeah it would have been a waste of time to read about what the book is about. great point. instead it's really deep and multilayered and it all went over my head. you are so smart.

I wish Yea Forums was a better place to discuss books. It's just too slow and uptight for me. If a book is not considered a classic then it's completely disregarded as shit regardless of whether anyone posting has even read it

who the fuck are you, the reddit police?

they could do both books.

book 1: spaceship intercepts alien asteroid. captures non-sentient alien squid. nothing happens.

book 2: nothing happens

If Yea Forums stopped gatekeeping it would just be endless "discussion" on shitty genre fiction like Harry Potter, not unlike Yea Forums.

Our culture is the same.
We don’t know the rules either.
You can work hard and die poor.
Make a silly face on camera and become a millionaire.
There are no real rules.

>Red mars
>Green mars
>Blue mars
Bravo

>iain banks
was this the dude who wrote The Wasp Factory?
that shit was crazy

Attached: 1549543089050.gif (500x500, 674K)

Three Body Problem won't get a proper remake because it's highly critical of the CCP and the cultural revolution which Xi Jinping has started to defend in recent years. Those books came out at just the right moment when censorship in China was at all time low and Mao Sedong criticism was pretty common and allowed.

Now the CCP is trying to remove any negativity around the cultural revolution which the first book is 80% about. It's almost entirely about how shitty the CCP and the cultural revolution is to the point where the woman wants to annihilate humanity due to how shitty the CCP is.

China is NEVER EVER going to allow this movie to be filmed. Amazon will get hardcore blocked. So the adaptation would have to remove all Chinese references which is 50% of 80% of the first book and 50% of the trilogy.

The books are absolute kino though.

Why does everyone hate on Consider Basedas? It's one of the best possibly THE best of the lot.

>critical of the Culture's "utopian society" with good points well made
>hench jihad big guy aliens are interesting and make good antagonists for culture
>apart from "le fat cannibal man" the plot is quite a fun and wild ride
>final section at grave planet is climactic and great
>cared for protagonist, stakes felt high, real tension
>tragic ending

Yeah and before you reply to this with the same tired old complaints, compare it with the lack of ANY tension whatsoever in the majority of the rest of the series and how you always get the Culture perspective

Attached: chilean sea bass.jpg (1000x538, 52K)

I have been here since 2004 and have never posted on leddit.

I have always spaced.

Stop gaslighting you fucking moron.

As someone that recently read it (was my first book from this series). My main complaint was that it starts with a big infodump that doesn't make sense until far later into the story. Which makes for a hard read. I liked how the culture was actually depicted as a villain. I knew nothing before going in and I assumed the culture was the main antagonist of this series and that every book was about a species standing up to this monolithic antagonist. Turns out this isn't the case. But it does show you that the story is morally grey enough for a reader to interpret it that way.

It's not my favourite Culture book but I did enjoy it. I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact it is, like you said, very different from the subsequent books, particularly the choice of the protaganist being decidedly anti-Culture. I've always liked the fact that while Banks has said he would love to live in the Culture, he wasn't oblivious to its flaws either, whereas other authors think they've figured out exactly how society should be irl. My biggest criticism is he took a grand idea like the Culture-Idirian war and presented on such a small, personalised scale, which I personally think was not a great entry into the series and should have been left to a later book

>tfw they'll never adapt pic related
It hurts, lads.

Attached: $RQPUBUO.jpg (220x321, 26K)

Tarkovsky made Stalker, but yeah, very loose "adaptation". More "inspired by".

sneed

Every book after Consider Phlebas and Player of Games is a Culture dick sucking contest, there is no tension or sense of danger because the Culture is awesome and better than everyone else lmao. Banks was great at describing alien races and worlds - really imaginative Lovecraft type shit instead of bipedal trek or star wars ayys. His standalone sci-fi like Feersum Enjin and the Algebraist are his best books imo. I liked his edgy contemporary books when I was a teenager but now they are unreadable liberal wankfests.

i agree except it doesn't seem like you noticed that it's an unreliable narrator and the book is satirizing the action sci-fi genre. will they capture that in the show? seems hard to believe
>My biggest criticism is he took a grand idea like the Culture-Idirian war and presented on such a small, personalised scale, which I personally think was not a great entry into the series and should have been left to a later book
that was the best part of it - framing it like a Star Wars style adventure that sort crumbles into something else
>liberal
you definitely don't know what this word means