The Abyss: Perfluorohexane

Reminder that breathing fluid is a real thing and Ed Harris is actually panicking in that scene
kino
youtube.com/watch?v=r_XS9_KwGVg
also rat:
youtube.com/watch?v=oFFpMqs9kbI
based Cameron torturing animals and actors for our entertainment

Attached: perfluorocarbon-ed-harris-the-abyss.jpg (700x330, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JrcWkwvUHdU
youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI
youtube.com/watch?v=9sbbsoMcFyU&t=9m30s
youtube.com/watch?v=RZTSNQve0rk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>During underwater filming, Ed Harris almost drowned. While filming a scene where he had to hold his own breath at the bottom of the submerged set, Harris ran out of air and gave the signal for oxygen. Harris' safety diver got hung up on a cable and could not get to him. Another crew member gave Harris a regulator, but it was upside down and caused him to suck in water. A camera man came over, ripped the upside down regulator, and gave him one in the correct orientation. Later that evening, Ed broke down and cried.

>Ed Harris reportedly punched James Cameron in the face after he kept filming while he was nearly drowning.

>Real oxygenated fluorocarbon fluid was used in the rat fluid breathing scene. Dr. Johannes Kylstra and Dr. Peter Bennett of Duke University pioneered this technique and consulted on the film. The only reason for cutting to the actors' faces was to avoid showing the rats defecating from momentary panic as they began breathing the fluid.

>Ed Harris has publicly refused to speak about his experiences working on the film, saying "I'm not talking about The Abyss and I never will". The only register with Harris speaking about his experiences doing the movie is in the documentary Under Pressure: Making 'The Abyss' (1993). Similarly, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio said "The Abyss was a lot of things. Fun to make was not one of them."

>During the rigorous and problematic shoot, the cast and crew began calling the film by various derogatory names such as "Son Of Abyss", "The Abuse" and "Life's Abyss And Then You Dive". Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio reportedly suffered a physical and emotional breakdown because she was pushed so hard on the set, and Ed Harris had to pull over his car at one time while driving home, because he burst into spontaneous crying.

youtube.com/watch?v=JrcWkwvUHdU

Based Jim thread?

Attached: james_cameron_destroys_a_banana.jpg (900x600, 46K)

>The water in the two tanks was chlorinated heavily, to prevent microbes growing in it. This caused many of the actor's hair to become green and even white. Due to this, the crew must apply Vaseline to their hair and skin for protection while filming for several hours underwater.

>James Cameron kept demanding retakes of the resuscitation scene. Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio was repeatedly getting her chest pounded on (gently, but still) while soaking wet and half naked. She stormed off the set yelling "We are not animals!" and wouldn't come back until Cameron agreed to wrap it already.

>Michael Biehn claimed that he was in South Carolina for five months and only acted for three to four weeks. He remembered one day being ten meters underwater and "suddenly the lights went out. It was so black I couldn't see my hand. I couldn't surface. I realized I might not get out of there."

>James Cameron nearly drowned during production when his diving suit malfunctioned while he was weighed down at the bottom of the giant water tank during filming.

Attached: our bravest pioneer.jpg (1215x2396, 947K)

it's not that good of a film

That Disney tier music ruins many scenes.

At what age did you realise actors are vessels for the vision of artists and not by any stretch of the imagination artists themselves
I was about 16, which feels really late for something so ubiquitous and obvious
>I want to create art!
>What? Suffering? No way!
t. No sincere artist ever

It's a forgotten masterpiece. Perhaps it needed more solid ending. There were all sorts of scifi ideas but things just happened in the end because Ed said please and love, at least that's how I remember it.

>The Abuse

Google Russian dog underwater breathing.

I think it was a pretty decent movie, though I don't remember the whole thing.
I do remember thinking that it must've been miserable being wet and cold the entire time filming, then I read about how everyone there really did hate it
I've always thought underwater movies were cool though.

Attached: 1374139106657.gif (285x214, 2.98M)

Yeah. The ending was a punch in the blue balls. Movie was great up until then.

The theatrical cut ending is the best.

making the aliens humanoid angels was the dumbest fucking idea. Bioflorescant WTF would have been just fine. Even the "probe" could have just been a baby alien.

>that part where the bad guys busted submarine falls off the side of the trench
>just keeps falling and falling, deeper and deeper into the darkness
>cracks start appearing
>water starts spraying in
>AAAAAAHHHHHHH-*crunch*
Thats still one of the most horrifying deaths i've seen in a movie. Just the anticipation, you know he's fucked, and the sound of the pressure on the fucking glass ugghhhh

Attached: 1413120382477.jpg (360x360, 23K)

All of Cameron's Directors Cuts are really bad for some reason. At least in The Abyss it adds some needed exposition for the plot. But even then I still prefer the Theatrical version.

Is that what they were? Haven't seen it in years but I remember them as basically just big telepathic jellyfish

youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI
Oh god I found it

Attached: 1199755030109.gif (284x207, 1.2M)

>In the process of drowning already
>Crew member gives him regulator
>Likely in relief, he put it in and breathed deep expecting air
>MORE WATER!

lol what a prank

damn, some poor guy had to reset his IP 1088 times

Russians and their experiments.

Attached: 04518918041.jpg (800x4000, 607K)

Totally legit. I remember we did this at least 3 times and it always came out about the same.

Reminder that Japanese and German scientists were all given pardons for thier war crimes in exchange for their "research"

Attached: 500927a79093394ae9372763635f6d173a522a0b31a1d0f5770b317b65d94382.jpg (460x345, 34K)

man you must have no life if you kept doing it 3 times
that's like almost 4000 IP resets

based robodogo
we3 movie when?

Hopefully never, that shit was too depressing :(

They suffered the greatest punishment, live as rich Americans

So Russians invented mecha?

You're one of those degenerate Malick enthusiasts. Admit it.

zoomers will NEVER EVER know the simple joy of recreating that scene in the bathtub with pic related

Attached: d4e4o5g414p4n5x5m444v2q2d4u2q2w214i4w5d41433v234t20314x2.jpg (487x600, 89K)

>The only reason for cutting to the actors' faces was to avoid showing the rats defecating from momentary panic as they began breathing the fluid.
>I'm not talking about The Abyss and I never will

Ed confirmed for shitting his pants on set

Attached: President-Donald-Trump-Laughing-300x200.jpg (300x200, 12K)

>James Cameron nearly drowned during production when his diving suit malfunctioned while he was weighed down at the bottom of the giant water tank during filming.
They were trying to kill him

this is why people shouldn't underestimate Avatar 2
it will be set underwater and that has always been Cameron's element
he'll make you feel like you're there
Aquaman was praised for its visuals, but Avatar 2 will make it look like a morning tv show for children

Kek.
I actually had that exact toy.
Why did they discontinue that series, and the arctic/antarctic one?
Both were perfect for Lovecraftian themes.

basedest of toys

Cameron should make an underwater horror movie set in a small submersible in the Mariana's Trench.

youtube.com/watch?v=9sbbsoMcFyU&t=9m30s

[comes in and steals yo shit]
SeaSharks for life!

Attached: 6155-1.jpg (871x599, 141K)

>shitty 16 bit knockoff of the Jaws theme

>showing the rats defecating from momentary panic as they began breathing the fluid
I drowned a rat in the toilet once, can confirm they do this.

I had the entire set. I had an autistic display shelf where I had printouts of each kit's name, on display, fully assembled.

But it was just a way to scratch the itch, without ever really satisfying. I never had what I truly coveted-which was no longer available.

Attached: the real thing.jpg (1223x921, 303K)

So what happened after that, when you were here 13?

Holy shit this is bringing back memories, I had all of these. I think I still have them in a box somewhere.

>"Life's Abyss And Then You Dive"
kek

They cycle through settings, or did, pretty often sadly. Want the knights? Well you should have purchased them when they were available sucka'. It was an early exploitation of FOMO. Fear of missing out.

This shit is so amazing. Based Jimbo bringing actual science with his sci-fi.

>Reminder that breathing fluid is a real thing
what?

Pity the movie is mediocre.

Your sentence is all screwed up my dude. At some point in my early 20s I assembled them all one last time and liquidated them all at a family garage sale. We asked reasonable prices and they all moved very fast, the lego kits were the hit of the sale, I cleared like $200bux that day.

I was never HUGE on lego, but I had a fair number of kits. That's why I was able to let go of them, not a big emotional attachment. Wish I had that bad guy space base though, thing looked dope as hell.

>at the bottom of the submerged set
so, not the scene linked?

That isn't real.

except cameron is a vegan

>Later that evening, Ed broke down and cried.
>the rats defecating from momentary panic as they began breathing the fluid.
>During the rigorous and problematic shoot, the cast and crew began calling the film by various derogatory names such as "Son Of Abyss", "The Abuse" and "Life's Abyss And Then You Dive". Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio reportedly suffered a physical and emotional breakdown because she was pushed so hard on the set, and Ed Harris had to pull over his car at one time while driving home, because he burst into spontaneous crying.
>Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio was repeatedly getting her chest pounded on (gently, but still) while soaking wet and half naked. She stormed off the set yelling "We are not animals!" and wouldn't come back until Cameron agreed to wrap it already.
what a bunch of fucking pansy faggots. actors are such delicate lily faggots holy shit. they were rightfully looked down by society as the lowest of the lowest turds before Holyshit turned them into these overpaid, glorified pop idol icons.

it's very real and it did happen. unlike the moon landing

>you will never be as happy as that shark

Attached: cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpg (1200x675, 66K)

The behind the scenes of that movie was insane. Cameron nealy drowned the cast, some of them lost their mind because they couldn't stand being underwater and in the dark all-day.
youtube.com/watch?v=RZTSNQve0rk

>the radar dishes say HH

Attached: download (2).jpg (247x204, 9K)

>the set # ends in 88

Attached: 1512532938636.jpg (1252x1252, 111K)

>we all breathed liquid for 9 months your body will remember
wait.. what? do fetuses actually breathe liquid in the womb?

The filming was insane, they shot everything inside a nuclear power plant. Cameron wanted the set to be underwater 24/7 and completely dark so there was no way to know which way was up and which way was down. It's not a surprise if most of the cast lost their mind.

That's 6 inches behind my head through the wall

Of course, that's where women store their pee and then they pee it out of the vagina.

I've been tempted to just edit out the aliens and just fade to black at some point and see if it holds up better but i'm really lazy.

No way they actually made a human breathe it though

Then they would bring back the theme a few years later, but slightly modified so that people would buy the same shit all over again. There were probably 5 or 6 near identical series of space shit during the 90s.

there is a 20min video of it where you can see the dogs head keeping alive with machines. you can see that doggo is suffering and just want to die.

I don't think dogs are capable of wanting to die

Shit. Fuck that. At least it would be a quick death.