What is Yea Forums's general consensus of Annihilation?

What is Yea Forums's general consensus of Annihilation?
I'd classify it as modern sci-fi kino with a 10/10 soundtrack myself.

Attached: annihilation_poster.jpg (435x679, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-pseudo-mysterious-seriousness-of-annihilation
newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/baara-a-must-see-film-of-patriarchal-abuse-at-the-new-york-african-film-festival
youtube.com/watch?v=7yXjPyYItbI
youtube.com/watch?v=BOIj212TGOg
youtube.com/watch?v=X6twHZCfGtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's pretentious fucking drivel.

It's a good, even great premise weighed down by a horrendous script with no sense of pacing or how human beings actually talk to each other.

Alex Garland, who wrote the script to Dredd, a fucking excellent movie, should be ashamed that this stain is on his record. In fact he should probably commit seppuku

Loved it. It's like a mashup of Stalker and Resident Evil 1 on PSX.

Absolutely awful full of le epic reddit twists and peddled by pretentious A24 faggots

Exactly this.

It's a cool story told poorly. 3/10 could have been so much more.

Cool set pieces, awful story flow, mediocre acting apart from Portman and Oscar
Nothing really made sense but I guess that was part of the point?
Portman was actually excellent for a change

>constantly whinge about overpowered unrealistic female empowerment characters in fantasy/action films
>women in this are largely all vindictive and useless
>woman tries to pick up big gun and can't because it's too heavy

*silence from polincels*
>it was pretentious
>it was reddit

What is even the point of trying to please you cunts? It's not possible.

Attached: peugeot106.jpg (2898x1975, 1.57M)

I bet you could go back and edit it and make it at least decent. I'd give it 5/10 if the interracial shit got cut out alone.

I really liked Annihilation, and have no idea why you faggots are calling it "pretentious."

You're probably a retard and that's ok. It's ok to have extra chromosomes and wrong opinions. Love you buddy stay safe ok

Seconded.

It was full of strong womyn garbage

Omg wow it's such a smart movie wow much scifi and black dick to boot! 10/10 my wife and her boyfriend loved it.

Why was the story flow bad?

The visuals and VFX were great, as well as the soundtrack, but I agree that only Portman and Isaac actually impressed with their acting. Everyone else was at least serviceable. I thought the pacing was fine. What didn't you like about it?

why do faggots like you get so hung up on a 2 minute scene? if anything you should be praising this movie for showing that cheating on a black man leads to the destruction of a marriage and the husband

yikes

if you like this movie, there are some films i'd think you guys might enjoy on BLACKED.com

Attached: 1514944417557.png (657x539, 110K)

Story didn't make any lick of sense as a whole
Things were brought up and dropped for no reason, like the tattoo

but portman isn't white :)

It's the go to reaction when you encounter something different. Same reason why Mandy gets called pretentious.

Why didn't they just go through the beach?

Bear mutant climax ruined by bad lighting and a shortfall in blocking. The pay off was just a Mandelbrot and Macap circle jerk when they could have just pulled in a real character designer to make it work. This is lazy filmmaking of the 21’st century leave A24 out of it.

except her fucking a black guy wasn't satisfying and basically derailled her entire life and made her so guilty about her boyfriend that she went off on a suicide mission.

so it's
a: actually a plotpoint
and
b: a terrible choice

This is the same as the fact the film is about women, but that they're not stronk. You cunts don't care about what things mean. You're just triggered by them being shown on screen at all. You're not actually capable of thinking about anything.

Attached: 101788-babar_car-original-1370942834.jpg (2560x1742, 507K)

It's funny how no one can ever explain what they mean they can call something pretentious.

One of the ugliest movies I'd ever seen.

Reddit rated this as one of their top 10 movies of 2018 so that says A LOT about the people on Yea Forums who like it

Because you can only enter through that spot in the forest.

>like the tattoo
The tattoo was symbolic like most of the storytelling in the movie.

i haven't watched this. so this movie was pandering to polincels?

>top team of commandos goes in and gets MIAed
>eh send in a bunch of dumb hoes why not fuck it

Attached: 1560965362034.png (176x186, 70K)

>only good scene in entire movie was ripped off wholesale from a completely different sci-fi book

Attached: alzabo.png (1434x853, 818K)

symbolic of what?

but the only good scene was the lighthouse

Reddit also pisses in toilets instead of bottles, fucking normies

dilate

This was never stated in the movie

>women train for 3 years for cuhrazy mission
>might be another planet
>might be a wormhole they are going into
>might be another dimension
>3 years training
>as soon as they go in full meltdown and they start trying to kill each other
lmao this is horse shit

It should be appreciated by anyone who cries about unrealistic strong women characters

but really this shows that they just hate seeing women in lead roles at all

They were sending them into some supernatural scientific anomalous zone, not into battle you dumb fuck.

As I was watching this film I had to CONSTANTLY point to things and go "yep, that's going to be a top thread on reddit" and "mhm, that's going to be a twitch streamer's favorite scene"

It's insane how much pandering was done to the normie community

all women need to be killed slowly and horribly

>roasties immediately lose their shit and start dying when things get hard

at last, truth in film

ending disappointed me. they must have run out of money and been forced to used a bodysuit + interpretive dance to finish it.

>At last I have truly become Annihilation

a bit on the nose for me

The Ouroboros. It's a symbol representing
infinite death and rebirth.

People train for years to go to war and still go insane. Why would you expect them to keep their shit together in some enigmatic alien landing sight they couldn't ever be prepared for full of constantly mutating shit including their own brains?

OK. So why did it keep appearing and disappearing on people's skins?

I completely agree. It’s visually interesting, at least, but everything about the plot and character interactions is just dreck.

The nadir of A24's lazy and self satisfied approach to storytelling. Scenes just happen and then theres no follow up, no attempt to develop it or connect thematically with other things in the film. Example: the shit about her affair. It just happens, and then never comes up later
It really could have been solid. It was drivel.

this but unironically so what
all the women were suicidal and it was indeed a 'fuck it' kind of plan
and there had been dozens of real attempts first

>A24
>pretentious as shit
nuff
fucking
said

This wasn't an A24 movie, retard.

You can tell what type of movie it is by the type of people it very obviously pandered to.

Namely people who follow Neil degrass tyson, women, and step dads from reddit.

Reminds me of SCP before the site as a whole went to shit

Attached: 610.jpg (500x375, 180K)

Are you the same person or equally retarded?

Because The Shimmer was restructuring them into aliens. Not actually killing them but turning into something new, like when a snake sheds it's skin.

But it's in the same mold as their usual stuff.
A netflix tier "art film" that doesn't really say anything

The tattoo kept appearing and reappearing at random, which is why I said the story has no logical flow.

>b-but it's real in my mind
please eat a shotgun

What a nonsense criticism.

Her guilt over the affair was a fundamental part of her character, motivation, the central relationship with isaacs, and it drove the story.

Literally 2 deep for u.

>being that obsessed with normies that you can no longer enjoy the things for what they are

All they had to do was put in a line of exposition saying "they had 3 years training but most of the time they weren't listening because they were on their phones checking facebook and instagram every 2 minutes" and that would have been cool.
Three years of training would include rigorous psych-evals. Also serious physical work (and none of them were fit).

You just didn't understand what the film was about.
It was about a suicide mission doomed to failure that takes place after the establishment has done dozens of rational missions, and already given up hope.

Lmao you know this shit because you actually read the book
I will give you points for that

What was up with the time dilation/memory loss inside the shimmer?

I would unironically send in monkeys with ak47s before women.

Loved it.

It is not a good film

Loved it

Attached: natalie blacked.webm (1920x804, 2.89M)

So you're saying that they threw out consistent logic to create a story about a suicide mission. What you're saying sounds like bad storytelling to me.

When people say how awful Yea Forums is, you only need to point them to this thread

i did not read the book lol
it was obvious in the film

why is it illogical? They're just desperate and have tried everything which makes sense.

REEEEE why wont you guys like my Netflix tier garbage psuedofi movie REEEEEEEEE

The way it's edited makes it look like they weren't even on set at the same time
Based Natalie

REEEEEEEEEE nigger dicks REEEEEEEEEE

I thought the ending was great. Trippy as shit and puts into perspective how limited and fragile our human perspective is. As someone who's both scientifically nihilistic and curious, I felt it was a visual representation of just that and nothing more.

>the story has no logical flow
The tattoo is a result of The Shimmer which has no logical flow of its own. I think that was done for mindfuck effect rather than an oversight.

Sounds like something your wife would say if you had one.

never have I found a brainlet wojak to be more suitable as a reply to a post as this

Attached: 1512561875685.jpg (645x729, 81K)

Lots of redditors have come over this summer. You can see them all butthurt ITT whining because based Yea Forums won't take shit about a flick with no style or substance.

>like something I don't like = basedboy cuck
What's your point you fucking nigger?

>I'm Yea Forums btw

>why is it illogical?
Because either they weren't listening during their training (at all) or we have an unreliable character who was telling lies about how much training they had. Based on the fact they almost instantly broke down as a unit I'm going to say they had zero training and that they were just picking random roasties and throwing them into the rift.

>based Yea Forums
oof

Oh yeah that aspect of her character was so obvious and im such a pleb for disliking a pseudo deep indulgent mopefest of cgi depression imagery...the 900 millionth dull sci fi movie that wants to be a Deep and Profound Statement in the past ten years

Movie was nonsensical horseshit that took a huge dump on the book. The book was ok, the sequels were garbage though.

who are you quoting

Maybe it kept reappearing and disappearing at random BECAUSE THEIR LITERAL DNA WAS BEING MUTATED AND REWRITTEN ON THE FLY???

It's amazing that people on here can hate a film because they think it's something stupid redditors would like, and they have the exact same amount of brain cells a typical redditor has when explaining why they didn't like something that is easily inferred from previous information given.

Excuse me, my wife will not have a nigger dick
Take your fantasies elsewhere

>who are you quoting

>Movie was nonsensical horseshit
this guy gets it

Look at the retard.

This film really is the ultimate pleb filter as 90% of Yea Forums is too stupid to understand or too triggered by stimuli to think properly. It's a 10/10 film, best of 2018.

That everyone in this threads mom will die in her sleep tonight unless they reply to this post with ANNIHILATOR? I BARELY KNOW HER!

Why didn't anyone point out that tattoos were appearing and disappearing at random on their skin?

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-pseudo-mysterious-seriousness-of-annihilation

Seethe more, pseuds

It's a dumbed down version of Stalker but in a good way. Also liked the theme. Cancer doesn't really get attention in a metaphysical way in movies so this was a cool take on it.

I honestly think this movie started as a bunch of cool sketches some guy did while a nigger was fucking his wife in the next room. It's like 6 or 7 barely legible music videos strung together.

That's not an argument, sweety. Sorry you were too stupid to understand an obvious plot point.

why do african americans stink so bad bros

>It's like 6 or 7 barely legible music videos strung together.
This is the most spot on description of this movie I've ever seen.

Attached: 1560901426623.gif (200x153, 2.48M)

>Brody
This is the guy who said Get Out was the best film of 2017
I guess that makes you more nigger than the nigger who niggered Portman

newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/baara-a-must-see-film-of-patriarchal-abuse-at-the-new-york-african-film-festival

Same guy btw

White girls stink and it rubs off easy

they stink so bad yet still get white pussy
they must be incredibly based!

Poor hygiene.

>he needs a has-been Boomer who writes for a c-tier newsite to make arguments for him

That writer is a dumbass btw

Attached: ratings.png (1187x757, 230K)

so if niggers don't actually fuck white women why you complain so much about niggers stealing white wimmin?

these are based on dating sites

most college-aged white girls WILL fuck a black guy

Well that solves that. If it ain't happening on okcupid 5 years ago it ain't happening at all.

I honestly viewed it as more of a new string of life entering earth. It views us as meaningless as our first cells saw the baren rocks they crawled upon.

Someone draw up a Venn diagram between cuck fetishists of Yea Forums and women/nigger hating /pol/cels. It's too much of a coincidence that so many of both congregate here.

I bet if african americans just had a wash in the morning they would get better scores. Seriously they stink like corpses sometimes.It smells like rotting meat. Anyone here from Atlanta?

Thread needs Hershlag braps

Attached: 1520863724084.jpg (1260x678, 79K)

>Anyone here from Atlanta?
No, I'm not a nigger

A broken clock is right twice a day
I'm sorry you can't see what even
a boomer who loved Black Panther could see

>or how human beings actually talk to each other
missed the meaning of the movie. Please go back to your capeshit cage where you worship the mouse.

dense and conceded; that's going to be a big cringe from me

>It's a dumbed down version of Stalker but in a good way
This. It's like watching a Russian art film filtered through a low budget video game.

Brody was just mad interracial infidelity was seen in a negative light in Annihilation
Go dilate

I'm sorry that you don't have an argument and keep doubling down, defending a "critic" that doesn't understand visual metaphors

But even capeshit is deeper than this turd of a movie.

I'm not either tbf. Don't go to Atlanta the whole city literally stinks not even kidding.

>comparing this piece of shit to Stalker.

Don't do that.

Post your stats if you have more recent so we can settle this.

I bet you liked It Comes at Night

No shit it stinks, you live there

sometimes african americans know they stink and they lather themselves in some kind of butter or fat I think anyone here from Atlanta that can confirm this??? I just want to know why they stink like carcasses

Why yes, I did enjoy It Comes at Night
How did you know?

Attached: 1441154614691.jpg (499x700, 52K)

>Nothing really made sense
>Story didn't make any lick of sense as a whole
The absolute state of Yea Forums. I seriously have no idea how you people can even write sentences that are comprehendible when you can barely comprehend a movie. Frankly, you have an IQ less than 100.
>Why didn't anyone point out that tattoos were appearing and disappearing at random on their skin?
>needing every bit of detail to be spoon fed
godspeed your death.

Such a revolting waste of trips, Malick, and a beautiful woman, in one post

~~~Yea Forums HOT TAKES~~~

SHIT MOVIES:
Annihilation
BR2049
Neon Demon

GOOD MOVIES:
Fury Road
Glass
Spiderverse
Green Book

that scene made me uncomfortable because I was watching that movie with my best bro.

id annihilate her porthole iykwim

Why did Kane's copy start dying when it was out of the Shimmer?
Why did Kane's copy stop dying after Lena returned?
Why did Kane and his copy appear to have a mutual understanding of Kane needing to commit suicide and his copy taking his place, while Lena and her copy battled it out in a strange mimic way? If the answer is that Kane was self-destructing, so was Lena, probably more so than Kane since she blamed herself for Kane's death.

Why yes, I don't care about post numbers like a mush brained dog. How could you tell?

Attached: terry-malick.jpg (504x511, 54K)

Even if it didn't include any physical requirements at all they were still out there way too long, walking all day, for that chick to be so fat. It actually was kind of distracting. Like the fatty on that island all over again.

Attached: 1560394379420.jpg (1200x1637, 282K)

BR2049
Fury road
Spider verse
Green book
GOOD

THE REST: H O T G A R B A G E

>was gargling down 10 kilogram of popcorn and drinking 5 liters of coca-cola, while opening his box of candy.

Stalker is a film that's open to interpretation and Annihilation was very faithful in that aspect. I liked both.

>Neil degrass tyson
I hate that nigger, women are whatever, and I never had a step-dad and I am not one either and I still loved this movie

I'll murder you in the street like a dog if you keep this up

Just saw it last night/morning(7am). Thought it was some Hollywood action sci-fi flop that I'd never heard of but was actually awesome.

All female squad ticked me off but besides that I enjoyed that it didn't really waste time beating around the bush and got right to the action. I can't say it was incredibly profound but it was deff a trip. The last half hour made me pretty happy with how cool everything was

Try me, whore.

Attached: Great American auteur.jpg (500x553, 31K)

Except that it's not in what you're aiming for. You'd be best off trying to compare that to 2001 but it would still be pretty disrespectful to a great movie.

3 years of training for an incursion into what was described as "possibly extra dimensional, possibly extra-terrestrial" would have their bodies fit as fuck. Bearing in mind you can get fit enough for SAS/Delta in 12 weeks.
Portman gets a pass because she was last minute but the rest of those women were seriously unfit.

>Except that it's not in what you're aiming for
How wasn't it? The ending of Stalker leaves the question of if the Zone was real or not open ended.

>they almost instantly broke down as a unit
You obviously didn't watch the movie if you don't understand why it did. Didn't you see that time dilation, or how trippy it was. While we can't feel what they are, we know that the DNA of everything is being jumbled and that also has to be accounted for in considering the loss of their minds

I can't remember any time dilation, just a bunch of women screaming at a gator and crying. They also kept laying down their weapons which women do all the fucking time in IRL militaries.

No, it doesn't - for 2 reasons; the final scene and the wish being granted - and the movie isn't really concerned about those issues either way.

Yea Forums's consensus is that it's trash but I agree with you. Loved it so much I read the trilogy afterwards. (I recommend against doing that, the writing can be annoying, and book 2 is a drag, although the overall concept is interesting and imaginative)

She cheats on her husband with a Black man that she specifies her 'hate' for. Somehow a female driven movie uses infidelity to show that the main characters story is unreliable and the last time I checked when soldiers go missing in a hotzone sending a team of civilians to go find them was the best way to get them killed. Stupidity is what passes for sci-fi.

>the final scene
Could be the girl moving the glass with her mind,proving the effects of Zone are real, or just the train moving it, proving they're not.
>the wish being granted
Also open ended. They never go into the room, don't see any actual effects and only mention one guy who commited suicide. Possibly commited suicide when he found out there's nothing in the Zone?

They were probably more concerned with fucking leaves growing out of their faces than a tattoo disappearing.

Seriously? THAT was an immersion-breaking plot hole for you?

The very people on here who call it pseudo-intellectual are more often than not pseuds themselves. Projection is one helluva drug

She moves the glass before the train passes through.

Wish wasn't granted to any of them. But someone was inside the room if you pay attention to Trakovski filming. Who that wish was for and what it was is up to you to decide.

>someone was inside the room if you pay attention to Trakovski filming. Who that wish was for and what it was is up to you to decide.
Which proves my point about both films being open for interpretation. Where does it show someone was inside the room? Haven't seen it in a while.

>complain about BLACKED scene
>complain about le strong independent womyn squad

Yet getting BLACKED ruined her life and the women only squad got absolutely btfo. I know you guys like to bait, but this movie was full of redpills.

>this movie was full of redpills
I think that was on accident lmao. They probably added a black guy fucking a white woman because of Netflix quota.

Shit except for the bear scene
But mostly it's "women try to do The Thing ft.Cocorosie" and guess what
it sucks

It's Paramount you fucking idiot. It was sold to Netflix because it was too complex for test audiences.
It's mediocre, the exposition is extremely clumsy and basically the tells you the motivation of the characters in a very bad way. Some scenes are cringe inducing, like the slow motion shot of Portman shooting the crocodile. Performances are terrible. The scene where they argue whether it's a light or worm inside that man on the video was hilarious. The only good scene was the lighthouse scene. The film tries to be complex but fails miserably, it's not brave enough to trust its audience and this results in undercooked mess of a film which is ambitious but falls short at every step of the way.

You murder dogs?
seek help.

German Techno best Techno

youtube.com/watch?v=7yXjPyYItbI

youtube.com/watch?v=BOIj212TGOg

youtube.com/watch?v=X6twHZCfGtQ

It's a typical hollywood "we have this amount of people and we slowly lose all of them as the movie goes on" drivel. I'm starting to believe that the Jews are automatons who haven't been upgraded for some time, because everything coming out from that shithole is something we already saw 10x times.

>it's not brave enough to trust its audience
What do you mean by this? A lot of what is actually going on isn't spelled out and you have to look for it.

It was horseshit. Some of the worst dialogue ever in a sci-fi movie.

Also, in the army base, they were sleeping in the observation/communications tower, but decide to keep watch ON THE GROUND AT NIGHT, when they already know there are mutated monsters roaming about. Then, when the blond lady gets dragged off into the jungle, they just stand there staring while all armed with rifles, instead of immediately going after her.

The video tapes of the husband's squad were a lot more interesting and should've been the focus of the movie.

Somehow this film is both pretentious and overly hand-holding according to Yea Forums

>butchered the book
>should have left the relationship drama out and focused on the scifi
>inb4 nigger
other than that it was probably the best film of 2018 or whatever year it came out in

>left the relationship drama out
jesus fuck what a reddit approach to sci-fi

>DUDE JUST GIVE ME COOL CGI AND ACTION

Stupid incel. It's about aliens.

I felt the opposite way, it seemed like everything was explained. The film could have been more ambiguous, like the ending i felt it was very conclusive, without any dose of ambiguity. I don't remember the ending exactly but that's how i felt.

It's pretentious because it pretends it's much smarter than it is and spoon-feeds the audience information in regular exposition so they don't get lost.

It obviously worked on you, so I'm glad you feel like a big boy. There is no mystery left at the end of film, everything was explained.

this is completely accurate. everyone else is retarded

I'd describe it as being like if you printed the blueprint for Predator on a T-shirt and then put it through the wash a hundred times.

Premise is silly, execution is silly, ending is silly. The only thing that kept me watching is how 100% seriously the actors (well, actresses) take what they are doing.

>DUDE JUST GIVE ME COOL CGI AND ACTION
ask anyone exiting the theater if they preferred the parts where Natalie cheats on Oscar Isaac with le smart black man, or if they preferred the part with the shark-teeth alligator, the screaming bear, the alien clone...

Great movie that due to Redditors saying it's "underrated", will get hated on here

I hate the use of pretentious when talking about films but you are absolutely correct with your analysis of this film.

They don't even make stupid decisions. The first woman gets horribly dragged away by a bear and everything after that was stress and them slowly changing from being in the shimmer.

>the ending i felt it was very conclusive
It was conclusive to Portman's character arc but also implied humanity is fucked and will go through an 'invasion of The Body Snatchers' kind of scenario.

>Strong dyke looking wahmen
>Cuckold sequence
>Zero white (goy) male
Oh yeah that was a very "modern" scifi flick for sure, very symbolic of that awful decade indeed. Now go back to netflix, zoomie.

This thread really reminds me what a shithole this place has become. Zero (0) decent opinions, just a bunch of morons throwing this week's buzzwords around. I hate you all

retarded post through and through
also Dredd is Garland's worst work and a shit movie

The poster who said that the exposition was poorly handled had a good point
The film was pure autism and despite the fantastic premise and environments seemed drag on forever. God dammit i am so sick of leaden artsy sci fi movies that hit you over the head with a big deep mysterious message that isnt really a mystery

don't bother, you're trying to discuss with the most retarded board

what else do you know about reddit and how often do you go there

holy shit never have I seen a better merely pretending to be retarded

Attached: 1551976226222.png (383x364, 139K)

The backstory stuff I guess could have been handled better but that really didn't bother me. My biggest issue was actually the visual style. Based on the 'scientific' explanation of what was going on, too much of the environments seemed too normal or disconnected from everything else. If all biological life was fusing into each other in a free form fashion, I would expect much more of the trees and plants to be twisted up into more monstrous forms and the wildlife would be overtly more grotesque and less recognizable. It should also have been more extreme the closer they got to the lighthouse.

Instead you had these deliberate and obvious "odd" looking things that weren't that out there. A croc with extra teeth, flowers that are growing in the same bushel, deer that had extra horns, topiary instead of people. Nothing seemed to really have anything related any other thing in the way that you would expect such a broad uniform effect from the alien to do over the overall biosphere of a given area.

The solder corpse turning into a fungus growth in that building, the skull bear, and the Lighthouse scene itself were the best parts and redeem it though. Decent sci fi flick but I am going to wait for Richard Stanely's The Color Outside Space for proper "the zone" like sci fi horror kino.

>movies with exposition for retards bad
>I don't remember any time dilation