Christopher Nolan is a great director. Pretty much all of his movies are easily 8/10 great movies

Christopher Nolan is a great director. Pretty much all of his movies are easily 8/10 great movies.

If you hate him, you're just a contrarian.

Attached: christopher-nolan.jpg (780x531, 59K)

this but unironically

Even the Dark Knight Rises?
I bet most of you haven't watched Insomnia or Following either.

I hate how the film score is so loud in his movies that it often drowns out the dialogue.

L'Ascension du Chevalier Noir was a great flick, though not a good film.

I admit I didn't watch Following. I thought it was boring and turned it off after 10 minutes.
But Insomnia is great. Loved it. I watched it like 4 times.

t. plot point mental midget
The emotion of the narrative is far more important.

Went to shit after 2006. The plot in all his films after Prestige and even before that in Batman Begins is a mess. Also he and his brother can't write human dialogue.

Attached: 1553261873392.png (356x506, 23K)

holy shit based

If you just want to look at pretty pictures and don't care about the story, you could just take a walk outside. Movies are not for you.

It actually works for Dunkirk since there is fewer dialogue and the sound of Stukas swooping in is pure kino.

>Also he and his brother can't write human dialogue.

Uhh, you don't get to bring friends.

The "story" is the visual and audio part you dumb fuck, film is a visual medium.
Why even watch films then? Might aswell just read the wiki plot synopsis and that's it.

it used to be pretty epic to hate on Dolan but then the marvel diarrhea universe came about and he became a respectable director in comparison

Dolan?

Attached: xavierdolan.jpg (780x585, 60K)

Attached: le cannes face.png (500x420, 94K)

His movies are pompous shit with ugly pissfilters.

Nolan is literally exposition the director. All of his films consist of people explaining the plot because he doesn't trust his audience. His characters are non existent and serve only as mouthpieces to spout exposition and explain the plot. The funniest thing about this is the mechanics the plot has and the rules the film set up are usually broken with few minutes. So the whole exposition was useless because he doesn't even keep his own rules. He can't direct action to save his life. His films use the same colour palette because he is green and red colour blind. He is overreliant on music to conjure any type of emotion and his level of visual storytelling is 0. Show don't tell you fucking hack. He makes films for people who only watch blockbuster garbage and he makes them in a way where they think they are intelligent for getting it. They are not, everything is explained and his films are not that complicated. That being said Dunkirk was a step in right direction.

why is bland wall of text a pasta

Kek. Sounds like Terrence Malick defending his increasingly bad films.

legendary director and the most relevant pop filmmaker since spielberg.

Why even have scripts then? Let's get rid of them too, you simple-minded child.
>ooh, pictures are moving and they look cool and I like the sound they make here

nolan can't make a coherent film. he can make things looks really nice, but eveeything he makes is a horrible trainwreck in plot and especially dialogue. there's a reason we're still laughing at the plane scene.

Not a pasta. Valid criticism of Nolan's filmography.

>he makes them in a way where they think they are intelligent for getting it.

I disagree. Well, maybe you're right about Inception and Interstellar, but those are his weakest movies in my honest opinion.

But say, the Dark Knight. What is there to "get"? It's just an action movie

Scripts are mere starting points for the director to then execute his narrative. You can have the same exact script and make 20 extremely different films out of it, execution is what matters.
Almost every great film ever made is great because of it's execution and not the script, from 2001 to Blade Runner. Even most Tarkovsky films have a pretty simple script if you take it just as an on-paper story, but because of his great non linear poetry-like execution they are considered as some of the best films ever made.

Now back to your tarantino flicks

Yes, i wasn't talking about TDK. That was more towards Inception, The Prestige and Interstellar. TDK is just an extremely stupid film.

...so is he the most intelligently artistic or artistically intelligent director ever?

Attached: Nolan, truly the genius of modern day cinema.jpg (460x307, 19K)

>If you hate him, you're just a contrarian.

or Denis No Penis fag. They hate Nolan cause he makes movies that are acclaimed AND big hits. unlike that French Canadian douche.

Film is visual storytelling. There is no film without the plot you idiot. It's not a fucking family vacation slideshow.
When you drown out the dialogue, it's nearly impossible for the audience to understand what's going on. They could miss a few plot twists, who knows.
But it sounds like you would rather watch a visually appealing movie written by a literal retard. You ignorant fuck.

Every single Villeneuve film was both a financial and critical success until BR2049, which was also a critical success but made it's money back only when the blurays came in. Ofcourse Nolan made more money since he makes blockbusters exclusively.
This juvenile "ugh you have to absolutely love and absolutely hate the other" tribalism gimmick is embarrassing.

based and redpilled

Go back to /got/ or post your favorite films so we can laugh at you

>When you drown out the dialogue, it's nearly impossible for the audience to understand what's going on. They could miss a few plot twists, who knows
huh, it's almost like the director purposefully drowns out the dialogue in those scenes which are not narratively important and focuses on the emotional narrative in those scenes instead

Tell me a single line from any Nolan film that you think was important and couldn't be heard aswell. A soldier yelling whatever while Stukas are blasting bombs over his head? An astronaut yelling whatever while literally going through a wormhole? Do you really think that he does it on mistake?

If you just want to experience a story and don't care about the visuals, you could just take a read a book. Movies are not for you.
Christopher Nolan movies have shitty plots but anyone pretending that story is what sets movies apart as a medium rather than the way a story is told using visuals

you're limiting your own views by assuming there's a specific way to write movies
inception's over-exposition doesn't hurt the movie one bit, in fact it makes it better because not only it glamorizes the whole experience, it also excuses you from thinking too much about the intricacies of the plot so you can get the emotional experience in full
show don't tell is a meme spouted by film schools and the like, there are infinite ways to tell a good story

How about you have some sex, hmm?

All of Nolan's movies have been stellar. Great for adults, great for kids. Any movie with him attached is a day one viewing for me, my wife and her son.

Sure, i'm not saying that all of the films should be full of visual storytelling. It does hurt the film because the whole logic of the film hinges on it, it then completely tramples over the rules set up by the exposition scenes, in the final act. Also Nolan's films don't provide any emotional experience for me.

Denis is a pretentious hack. his movies are boring, stories convoluted mess and this leads unlikable. Just like him.

I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones all the way through and I don't give a shit what you think of my favorite films, but I'll give them to you anyway:

La Dolce Vita
Ghost World
Paris, Texas
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

If you don't want to experience a story, you have no business watching a movie. You might as well pause it on your favorite frame, jerk off and call it a day.
Nolan's movies are terrible. Defending his poor decision making is incredibly weak. There's plenty of movies out there that have both a good plot and good visuals.

If you want dialogue then go outside and talk to others for once

>Also Nolan's films don't provide any emotional experience for me
for you indeed, I find them great rollercoaster rides, inception tdk and interstellar specifically, his others have slower pace and they suffer for it because he has nothing else to offer besides that

Everything is narratively important. The sheer magnitude of the emotional narrative would be much greater if you could understand what the characters are screaming about.
I said "could miss a few plot twists", as in by having the film score frequently way too loud, he's risking that happening.

nolan's best movies are something like a 2h trailer, nonstop FAST. the way he sets up his scenes, montages and soundtrack to never let the pace drop is incredible and never before seen in hollywood
name a single movie that manages to be like that

I do.
If you think dialogue is "boring", movies are not for you.

t. low attention span zoomer

>he's risking that happening.
How is he risking it? Again, do you really think he puts the score loud in those moments just randomly? Do you really think he would drown out any important piece of dialogue ever?

Read the first two sentences again, retard.

ahhh yes, a Stuka is blaring on soldiers and throwing bombs on them or a torpedo has hit a Destroyer boat with the soldiers being locked inside, wow I really do wonder what are the characters in those situations screaming about hmmmm a real mystery

>wow I really do wonder what are the characters in those situations screaming about hmmmm a real mystery

You're right. It is a real mystery. Possibly something truly heartbreaking that would make the scene so much more powerful and we'll never know.

Yes yes, better remove all the sounds of explosions and gunshots aswell, just make the entire film a stream of direct clear voices and nothing else, surely that will result in a more emotionally impactful film.

>You're right. It is a real mystery. Possibly something truly heartbreaking that would make the scene so much more powerful and we'll never know.
not him but fucking kek
do people really think this way in real life?

Or he could properly balance his sound like everyone else.

You'd understand if you weren't an emotionally stunted autist.

>like everyone else
Who is everyone else? Capeshit studio puppets? Do you really think every single film should have a neutral sound mix with the soundtrack being a mere background noise? Why shouldn't the soundtrack be in your face at certain moments? Have you ever seen a single film outside of the streamline product shitting Hollywood norm?

In your face is the 21st century Hollywood/capeshit norm, albeit not on steroids like on Nolan's films. You can actually hear all the loud sounds and the dialogue with capeshit.
I listed my favorite films here

>In your face is the 21st century Hollywood/capeshit norm
No it isn't, every single capeshit flick has the soundtrack used as a worthless generic afterthought filling up space in the background. The entire world could be imploding and you would still hear the mid fight quip from the character.
>You can actually hear all the loud sounds and the dialogue with capeshit.
Exactly, no dynamics no weight whatsoever. A building falling down is as loud as a gunshot, a character shouting is as loud as anything else. It's all normalized flat garbage with zero impact. A single gunshot in a film like Dunkirk carries far more weight and danger than thousand of gunshots in a typical capeshit flick.

score and sound effects are different

you're a genuine fucking retard if you think any film maker drowns out his own dialogue on purpose

I hate the scores in his movies in general. He has such an autistic conception of music, probably something to do with his autistic fixation on time. It's so recursive and unpleasant.

Being able to actually hear the dialogue doesn't mean it isn't in your face.
Your Nolan films aren't that dissimilar from your standard capeshit, which is so embarrassing that you'll never admit it.
Jesus Christ, you'd eat Nolan's literal shit and say it's the greatest meal you've ever had.

DESU that's a problem with a lot of movies today, not just with Nolan.

So much audio trickery is possible that directors want as many sounds in a scene as possible, including music, and it drowns out everything.