Why haven't there been more Cyberpunk films? Or even a tv show?

Why haven't there been more Cyberpunk films? Or even a tv show?

Attached: Blade_Runner_(1982_poster).png (251x380, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Altered Carbon on Netflix is a Cyberpunk tv show.

I love Cyberpunk, son it’s too bad there isn’t more recent stuff

It's getting a solid amount. Fantasy as a genre isn't getting more exposure either. These things are a steady trickle.
Plus it's probably costly to produce.

Because reality surpassed cyberpunk around the time of wikileaks.

Not profitable enough since it requires at least a triple digit IQ to enjoy.

this is really what you faggots think...

>t 85 IQ

this. we are living in the cyberpunk existence as imagined in the 80s, China even more so

Attached: e7a46c58-city-30961-16779fb3c85.jpg (720x720, 175K)

how the fuck do people still think Blade Runner is cyberpunk?

Attached: 1554835472577.jpg (544x596, 249K)

A lot of cyberpunk b-movies were made in the 80s and 90s.

WHY ISNT LIKE MY LE VIDEOGAMES

>that score on the CS-80 poly synthesiser
Nothing has come close to matching it

Attached: 4L_x3Du8l1q.jpg (1280x850, 137K)

Too expensive. Also Bladerunner isn't really cyberpunk it's just a noir story set in a dystopian future

Akira and Ghost in the Shell are among the most "cyberpunk" films from what i've seen but they are anime ;^

Btw anybody read Neuromancer here?

and my man Uli is now reviving the CS80

how is it not? It's textbook cyberpunk
it's one of the most influential movie in the genre too

People just don't realize something is meant to be cyberpunk unless it literally says it is in the title.

yes it is
cyberpunk uses the tropes of detective/hardboiled crime stories and film noir
Yes read all 3 of the Sprawl trilogy and the short story collection

>Also Bladerunner isn't really cyberpunk
did you forgot the part where the entire movie is about the relation with man and machine?

>cyber
high technology
>punk
low life

Watched this yesterday. Fucking nails the cyberpunk vibe. Downloaded it on a whim because I read it had Ministry in it and it turned out to be a damn good movie.

Attached: Hardware - DVD insert (alternate 01).jpg (5089x3368, 2.43M)

which is all heavily in the movie

Because it's not as popular as you think it is.

Because it is the most cyberpunk aesthetic ever put to film, dumbass.
>but no muh cyborgs
Cyborg with JCVD is post-apocalyptic, so figure it out.

That photo fo the Beijing video screen sunset amidst all the smog is so cyberpunk it hurts.
Once their Social Credit system is in place, they will have achieved peak techno-dystopia.

>Neuromancer
Of course. I even watched Johnny Mnemonic recently. It was better than I remembered.

Isn't Mega City one coming soon

>Akira and Ghost in the Shell are among the most "cyberpunk" films from what i've seen but they are anime ;^
I have an enduring love for Johnny Mnemonic.

>Btw anybody read Neuromancer here?
I have read the trilogy twice but it has been a while.

Have you seen modern Moscow?
Everyday it's becoming a reality.

Attached: 1544147923358.png (1680x875, 1.92M)

Am I the only one who thinks this picture is surprisingly comfy in an indescribable way?

Attached: bedtime 2.jpg (399x351, 67K)

who /fleshie/ here?
I ain’t trustin no kikes to put metal in me

I have extremely high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077. Not just that the game itself be kino, but that it causes way more cyberpunk kino to be made.
Just worried about it being ruined by normies.

Quick rundown on Akira and Ghost in the shell?

>the one movie to define cyberpunk to the mainstream is not really cyberpunk

get a load of this hipster

>Akira
It's a mess, manga is better.

>GITS
Masterpiece.

horrible weather gives you extra cyberpunk effects

Attached: Moscow.jpg (1024x768, 98K)

Akira is a mess narratively, yeah. There was no way to effectively adapt that amount of material into a single movie no matter how much effort they put into it.

Still one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. Love it, the music and the general art direction.

I like that spiral/DNA building a lot. Really stands out.

Slavic cyber-punk dystopia best dystopia.

Attached: 1499635412423.png (1600x1067, 2.77M)

I think if it ends up being even half as good as The Witcher 3 it'll be one of the better games of the year at least. I don't know what the assholes on Yea Forums think of it but I think the Witcher 3 set the bar INCREDIBLY high, I'm just replaying it again for the 4th time and it's easily one of the best RPGs ever made and still represents the high water mark for overall accomplishment in the genre as far as I'm concerned.

Attached: just here for cards.png (382x612, 458K)

only bio augmentations 4me, don't wanna have my dick hacked

Attached: 1541287478069.jpg (1063x696, 117K)

Not sure why you would do that to yourself.
I might be pleasantly surprised if it isn't more Altered Carbon level pap.

nu/v/ is full of absolute retards that play mobage and assfaggots. Listen to nothing they say.

Horrible weather + blinky video graphics on skyscrapers is the full formula.

blinky videographics are nice, and now cheaper with leds

Attached: brdoge.jpg (768x432, 59K)

This. The aesthetics, art, music, the worldbuilding, the design and the tone are 10/10

the narrative and characters and pacing are pretty flawed.

i always am confused at the "CyberPunk" label given to blade runner...

i have always just thought of it as a cool sci-fi movie with a great musical score?

Why does no one have an interesting aesthetic vision of the future any more ?
Have we reached peak society, or is the problem that digital worlds where progress lie are non-physical and so don't translate into visuals well?

Attached: Boris_Kustodiev_-_Shrovetide_-_Google_Art_Project (Custom).jpg (4000x1864, 1.95M)

There's really no doubt at this point that cyberpunk is finished. The game literally can't stop making headlines. It's headed to be a huge normie phenomenon, whether it actually lives up to the insane hype or not. Look forward to "cyberpunk" being the new "thing" among normies, and tons of garbage being pumped out.
Just hope the game itself is good to make up for all the trouble it's gonna cause.

Thanks I was just searching for a good manga

>Cyberpunk is a subgenre of science fiction in a futuristic setting that tends to focus on a "combination of lowlife and high tech"[1] featuring advanced technological and scientific achievements, such as artificial intelligence and cybernetics, juxtaposed with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.[2]

It absolutely nails both. The setting feels seedy, dirty, and rundown. Wealthy people are moving off-world.

We’re in decline, and everyone knows it.

wanna travel to Hong Kong just for the aesthetics

Attached: hk-dji_0695-edit-edit-3-dguzl.jpg (1280x927, 417K)

Monarchs are dead. Nation-states are dying.
Corporations are the future.

Will Cyberpunk 2077 be the definitive form of Cyberpunk media?

There are always people who think this, but really, what technology affords us in the modern world is quite amazing, and even if you view it as ultimately negative, it is still extreme progress.

Progress and decline are not mutually exclusive, that's what cyberpunk is all about. But interesting futurism and depictions of the future still seem to be not even vaguely as well conceived as they have been in the past.

Blade Runer LA was really fucked up in that aspect.

Attached: 1557159672401.jpg (1900x1140, 448K)

Corporations are the present
and if they become as oppressive and controlling as you suggest, then a new world order brought about by revolution is not inconceivable.

A vision of a future of total Corporate oppression can also be accompanied by a vision of the aftermath, and it's not necessarily worse.

its shit

dystopian as fuck

You misunderstand me: culturally, we are in decline.
This is compounded by the fact that we are reaching physical limits. A CPU from a decade ago is still perfectly usable, while a CPU from 99 was not even close in 09. Most of the predictions of the past have come true, and those that haven’t are not any closer to coming true than back then.

and the corporations are ruining the earth

they dont sell,
see also: Dredd

great movie but didn't make nearly enough money

It has niche appeal. Every cyberpunk film underperformed.

So, normies only want happy optimistic possible futures like Star Trek?

Attached: akira 987.jpg (1280x668, 239K)

Attached: china.jpg (717x476, 20K)

The end of Moore's Law will certainly have interesting consequences. Hopefully in reducing planned obsolescence and consumerism, driven by environmental awareness and greater awareness of mental illness causing the rejection of consumer culture as psychologically harmful.

But I really don't think technology in general has plateaued. AI is just getting started. It will be hugely influential.

>culturally, we are in decline.
people have ALWAYS thought this though lol. I strongly disagree.

I think its just to weird for normies and themes of transhumanism etc. dont have that mass appeal for a massive box office success. Maybe if you made a more accesible version with an MCU tone you could sneak in some weird shit and deeper themes but youd have to have a killer trailer to catch peoples interest.

I don't think we've had one that nailed the feeling of the world yet. Certainly no where near the standard of Akira.

Even BR2049, which i loved, felt like it was missing something. The world did not feel 'seething' with life, as it should. Dredd didn't, Ready Player One didn't, nuGhost in the shell didn't.

Neo Tokyo in Akira just felt so ALIVE.

Probably that, like trying to make some live action Hollywood Evangelion, most people would think "wtf was that"?

I disagree. I thought that Peach Trees had a very "lived in" look to it in Dredd. I though they did that part justice if anything.

Actually yeah, the setting for Dredd was great. I liked Dredd. But the scale wasn't large. It was a small insular film.
And I don't think it's impossible to have a small insular setting that gives you a sense of the wider world as teeming with life, but Dredd didn't.

>Neo Tokyo in Akira just felt so ALIVE
fucking this, must be all the real Tokyo/Hong Kong inspo + background story about a massive city only partially rebuilt

Attached: akira 86897.jpg (1280x1321, 196K)

All the different factions and clusterfuck storylines in the city too.
The doomsday cults, the revolutionaries, the protests, the gangs, school, military, politics, the coup

Like it just feels as though the characters could step outside the peach tree and be in a studio carpark in LA.

>imagine the smell

When a single film gets the genre so absolutely perfect, this discourages pale imitations. Which is really saying something since Hollywood, in its creative bankruptcy, is obliged to mine anything and everything, and constantly remake/reboot all.

Cyberpunk never made that much money and nowadays it has been coopted by trans people, so whenever you make something cyberpunk trannies will be extremely vocal about it, and normal people on social media do not like to be exposed to or think about crazies who get fucked in a festering wound, regardless of what the media tells you

Attached: 1yrvoH1.jpg (1280x1280, 223K)

You get a bit of the outside world in that highway chase scene at the beginning. But I know what you mean. The setting is a bit...limited...

Attached: 1498441818996.jpg (2500x1071, 1.71M)

eating beans in that confined space was pretty hardcore

Attached: beyond_human_enviro01_main_street.jpg (1920x1080, 703K)

I guess if you post anything from The Last Jedi you instantly become retarded

>culturally, we are in decline.
Relative to what, though?
History is always in flux. The Roman Empire had to decline in order to make way for Medievalism and the Renaissance.
The only real decline would be mass nuclear incineration, and that is just a fantasy for those who want an easy out.
We have continuously inhabited space stations, Robots on other planets, and AIs that mastered internet trolling so quickly they had to be lobotomized before they grew too powerful. Humans may be in decline, but consciousness is just getting started.

this nigga eating beans

irrelevant outside their internet circlejerk, those freaks are a tiny % in any population, what degree of representation can they expect?

Because it became a reality except instead of cool evil corporations like Weyland-Yutani or Omni-Consumer Products, we got lame ones like Disney and Walmart

only white men care about hard sci-fi

Attached: you're getting old.jpg (210x201, 24K)

The food related are the scary ones.

The Sony Hack was pretty cyberpunk. all told.

Facebook and Google are better examples, and they are doing textbook cool evil corporate things.
Wal-Mart is the end-state of the mass-production, and Disney is just drivel for the masses.

>mobage
no, that's /vg/ like 90% is flavor of the month mobage shitposting.

if you like the genre, this is a must-know
youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528

I agree with you, the problem is that most internet trannies are rich NEETs who can spend all day online as opposed to a normal person who has to work for a living; therefore, they are underrapresented in reality but overrapresented online, and whenever you are marketing something, you don't want people thinking about genitals getting chopped off and people getting fucked in a festering wound, you just don't. Normies are aware because recently I even had to explain to my mother (who is an old woman who barely browses the internet) what a tranny is and how the process works since she kept hearing about it
From a marketing standpoint, whenever trannies take over a community it is over for that product and they'll have to move on to something else, because normal people won't be able to do a google search without running into some fat fuck in woman's make up which turns them off from the product altogether
Cyberpunk 2077 for example started production before cyberpunk was deemed a trans thing but it's gonna lose a percentage of sales from that which I am not sure they can afford

>history is about rise and fall
>how could we be in decline?
What
The first two examples have already been present for a long time, the latter is merely a result of computing power. We’re no closer to true AI, but we are very good at making something that can cheat the Turing test.
But let’s ignore that for a moment, let’s look at the apparatus of society. Academia is a horrible mess, entertainment is the property of a few conglomerates. Advertising is devastatingly powerful, and combined with the global market place, quality and popularity are more divorced than ever before.
This is all focusing on provable sources. If you want to talk about the actual quality of produced material, even as subjective as it is, it is a difficult thing to argue against. Build quality gets worse every single year. Form has subsumed function. Intangible objects are even worse. Music and films are in a horrendous state, almost pathetically. Too low barrier to entry, it’s boring to discuss them. Video games are bit better, since they require far more time commitment and focus commitment. The quantity of quality games is simply microscopic compared to 00s, and the most anticipated multiplayer game of the year is a 15 year old version of a game by a multibillion dollar company. And that’s despite being a clunky mess, it’s still less a skinnerbox than any BR/assfaggot/mobage on the market.

Doesn't Disney own Nestle or something

You should look for meaning outside of consumerism, my friend.
Academia is less relevant than any previous point in history, and they know it. With youtube tutorials and torrents you can learn anything you want, at zero monetary cost.
Sure, insurance companies are woking hard to deprive people of actual health care, commodity items are cheaper and shittier than ever before, and the US peaked as a cultural superpower in 1984, but your negative lens is preventing you from seeing the incredible possibilities of the present, and the crisis of this strange time.
"True" AI is not going to look how we think it should look, because it is an entirely different organism. Humans are notoriously bad at recognizing the scope of the forces they have unleashed, and the modern era is no different.
Try some Baudrillard and you will see the hyperreal for what it is.

Hella epic aesthetic visuals aside, cyberpunk would be nothing without explorations into the human condition, speculating on where we're headed as a species, critiques on the current society and politics, etc etc etc. Not as easy to sell to normies as capeshit or starshit, so people don't try. Which is good because the little we get is at least made by people who had to really give a damn. Expect that all to change when CP2077 comes out. "cyberpunk" will be the new "superheroes", mark my words.

Looks like EVE

I believe you are mistaken in your utopian view, friend. Algorithms got us into this mess; I don’t think they will suffice to remove us from it. If nothing else, monetary and diplomatic instability will continue intensifying until an inciting event happens. We shall see. Better not to have been born, but now we’re along for the ride.
Cyberpunk is far more ethereal than the “artificial modern myths” that is capeshit. I don’t see it hitting massive appeal. It’s not like it hasn’t been tried before, Black Widow in that GitS remake, and the perfect storm of 2049. The first was shit, obviously, but it had a time least some capeshit name recognition crossover, and 2049 was very competently made by talented people. I don’t think a game is suddenly going to change this paradigm. Skyrim didn’t, Red Dead didn’t.

If you compare newer stuff to BR, BR has shitloads of extras doing random shit in the background. Newer films in general just don't have this or they have cgi filling in the blanks which just doesn't look as good.

On a side note has anyone seen Charlie Jade? It's an awful cyberpunk tv series made in South Africa but I like some stuff in it.

Anyone have a link to this?

Attached: jozef-boza-soul-breaker-books-final.jpg (1920x1020, 863K)

I’m sure I could find it, but I’d have to get out of my comfy bed. They any good? Why do you want to read them?

Take the anime pill, white man.

>tv show
There was already Max Headroom and Total Recall 2070

Because Cyberprep is more frightening.

Anime cyberpunk is not gritty enough.

Uh yeah.. I did think that... and your comment really tripped me out. Then I realised the photo was a pic of Hong Kong and I grew up there so that probably explains it. I have no idea why you find it comfy but for me its nostalgia.

TekWar and the Robocop TV series technically count

never thought about living there again?

Attached: hk-35217451273_711d050c0e_h.jpg (1600x800, 301K)

Nah probably not. I went back there last year and filmed a movie, was a pretty wild experience... Definitely wouldn't go back what with all the protesting going on right now. Shits seems fucked. I just hope everyone I care about there is okay!

it looks interesting but I cant find it anywhere even for sale

can we all agree that this is cyberpunk-ish at least?

Attached: p34866_v_v8_ab.jpg (960x1440, 311K)

IDK, it's really weird that they only ever made one cyberpunk movie, Oh Pee

Eh.. I wouldnt classify it as cyberpunk. By that definition many scifi movies that are clearly not scific fit into category. BR is just dystopian scifi

I love that director

cyberpunk aesthetics tend to date very quickly

no one knows how to make them. even 2049 doesn't classify as cyberpunk outside maybe one or two scenes

g-gyperpunk...

Attached: 1544581464511.jpg (1024x675, 50K)

it's a very costly genre to make
just look at the effort it takes to make the setting look decent
most modern studios don't want to touch that or if they do, it's full-CG backgrounds all the way

>If you compare newer stuff to BR, BR has shitloads of extras doing random shit in the background. Newer films in general just don't have this or they have cgi filling in the blanks which just doesn't look as good.
money, effort
it's just laziness and unwillingness to take risks because muh shareholders, user

trannies shouldnt be taken seriously
their anger with ´whyte men´ comes probably from the fact that their fathers disowned them and scolded them for being a degenerate faggot
>whyte men look like my dad, so I hate them
traps are gay btw

What the fuck do you think cyberpunk is, smoothbrain?

Cyberpunk is such a faggy sub genre for trannies

Because Cyberpunk is patrician tier and normalfags have shit taste

>Better not to have been born
Then I guess you should probably end it sooner than later.

Ah yes boomerpunk

>Isn't Mega City one coming soon

I'm getting a vaporware feeling my soul about that due to zero news about it.

>posts TLJ reaction image
>is retarded
checks out