You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back

>You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back.

youtube.com/watch?v=GM-znjDGubE

Attached: Kino.png (1600x800, 1009K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2018/11/08/the-genomic-scars-of-anti-semitism/
youtube.com/watch?v=ie0ctYgpZNQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I never understood this scene. Because he did swim back didn't he, so how'd he really beat him?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but are you retarded?

Based and redpilled.

One of the most underrated kinos of our generation.

ethan hawke is one of the most underrated actors of our generation

So Ethan's character is actually genetically superior to his edited brother?

women will NEVER understand that movie

What are some other underrated classics like this?

Attached: 1500424713873.jpg (958x949, 84K)

Nah. This is all fake leftist propaganda. No amount of nurture can trump genetics. Might as well say blacks put in a stable environment can be just as capable as whites

It gets close to being redpilled by discussing the benefits of creating a homogenized orderly society through fascism and eugenics but it falls short due to its liberal feel good “you can do anything and defeat your genetics if you try really hard!” propaganda.

JesusChrist, you have a whole board for you racist tards, why do you feel the need to come here and shit up this place?

I’m discussing/criticizing the merits and themes of a film, seethe harder, tranny.

His eyesight and heart isn't really that big of a deal. I have a cousin that was born with a hole in his heart but he grew up to be a great athlete, btfo out of everyone else. I agree with you though, there is nothing wrong with eugenics.

Daily reminder that most of you have no right to identify with the main character because most of you never saved anything for the initial swim anyway because you're lazy and fat and can't even swim well, let alone in the open ocean.

Based and true. Gattaca was dishonest filmmaking at its finest. It's not a bad movie and has a great score but it sold genetically inferior people a lie.

my ex left me with a hole in my heart too but now im raking in 6 figures so we can all overcome the odds if we try

I dont think so. He was raised in his brothers shadow because he and his parents saw him as genetically inferior. But he possessed qualities that gave him determination, to push himself, without fear of failure or even death. He was unstable because he felt he didn't belong, but his imperfections gave him an advantage that no genetic programmers accounted for. Like with the 6 fingered piano man, people have an idealation of genetic perfection but it isn't that clear-cut.

You're too close, mon.

And it’s all fake news and propaganda because in reality only the genetically superior survive ..,

I like this.
Would you rather be a Tardigrade or a Human?

He cared about winning the swim more than he cared about his own safety, and that's why he won. He was ready to swim out until he had nothing in the tank and his brother was always thinking about the swim back. He was able to push past his limits and surpass his genetically superior brother through willpower.

>only the genetically superior survive
explain niggers and abos then

somehow you're still here

Obviously, tardigrade. Duh. It's like asking if he wants to be Batman.

Symptom of the modern age. We feed blacks in Africa. If we didn't feed them, would there really be that many? No. We should have a non-interaction rule like we have with the rest of the animals in Africa and only allow documentarians out there doing National Geographic series.

The kindness and altruism of the white man made us mistakenly believe that not enslaving and wiping them out was moral. Ever since than the entire first world has been subsidizing western blacks and Africans

That's really funny. But no, seriously.

The Chinese have been splicing human and tardigrade DNA for the last few years in order to create a race of beings to survive in space.

Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.

I gave him a choice between human and tardigrade. Tardosapien master race wasn't an option.

toastie roastie detected

This statement is how Vincent explains he was able to beat his genetically superior brother in a swimming contest. This quote is a testament to human will power, drive and the human spirit. It is at this moment when Vincent becomes aware of his untapped potential and decides to follow his dream of becoming an astronaut, against all odds. Hence, the quote celebrates humanity's ability to strive for greatness.

he made valid points. not everyone is your imaginary /pol/ boogie man.

ethan hawke's character had 99% chance of heart problem, and its hinted that he might actually have health issues because he panics when on the treadmill and overhears them talking in the background. but in the end it shows that he probably actualized that 1% of not-having-any-problem since he was able to swim in the open ocean no problem, something a heartlet would struggle to do.

if you watch closely the story gives hints that makes it plausible that there was nothing wrong with him, aside from the poor eyesight and manlet issues. people like gattaca because there's subtlety and the story doesn't hit you over the head with excessive commentary from the director/actors.

I love tis movie I cry so much

Sheer will. Showing how genetics are not everything. His brother was complacent.

His brother was an emotional wreck, clouded by rules and what can and cannot be
Ever heard of stories of grannies lifting cars when babies are in trouble? It's like that, the adrenaline would always give Ethan what he needed

He didn't panic on the treadmill, his fake heart monitor shit the bed.

Attached: file.png (540x205, 91K)

>I never saved anything for the swim back.

Then how'd he get back?

Checkmate, unmodded genelets. You can all fondle my octoscrotum while I perform a trombone duet alone with my mouth, anus, and nine finger hands.

acshually the concepts of genetic optimization and individual willpower can be reconciled in a third position.
The sequel could explore the story from that starting point

Attached: 81DiVeLeQYL._SY445_.jpg (320x445, 49K)

Reminder that Vincent didn't have a heart condition, he just had a 99% likelihood of having one. The problem with gattaca's society was that they relied on statistical probability to exclude segments of society from fully participating in it, and as a result, kept people from realizing their full potential.

Even with all the lies, Vincent was still running on those treadmills every day with people who were literally bred to do that shit, and he was managing to keep pace. Was it harder on him? Yeah, but he still did it. That's the point, he still did it. He still managed to fool everyone. He worked harder than any other person to be where he was, and he showed that his potential was not accurately measured.

so the moral of the story is a fascistic society needs better measuring devices and we're gucci

>>So Ethan's character is actually genetically superior to his edited brother?
No, he just tried harder. If his brother put in as much effort as Ethan he'd easily beat him.

literally the only flaw this movie has is using the word "de-gene-erate"

and yes Hawke is great but Jude Law is better than great in this. Uma Thurman is both coldly aloof and then warmly vulnerable

and the supporting actors -- so many "that guy"s

Tony Shaloub nails it
Xander Berkely sends it
Gore Vidal?!?! sure!
Loren Dean was pretty good
and Alan Fucking Arkin as a gumshoe is too good

he got help from a friendly crocodile

Unironically have sex

>he might actually have health issues because he panics when on the treadmill and overhears them talking in the background

he panicked because his condition wasn't as optimal as he pretended to be, and he was about to get caught because the little machine with Jerome's heartbeat failed at the exact moment he was being monitored

>if you watch closely the story gives hints that makes it plausible that there was nothing wrong with him, aside from the poor eyesight and manlet issues.

It is a posibility, but the recurring theme of the movie is overcoming those tasks with sheer force of will: He is almost blind, but he crosses anyway; he might not have real heart issues, but he is still physically inferior and beat his brother twice using the same resource; and needless to say that throughout the entire movie he becomes a science genius while working as a jannie (he wasn't determined to do so like Jerome) and does a humongous effort to fake his identity and reach the stars.

It's true that genetics matter, and if A is overall superior than B, then A will always beat B in optimal conditions. However, if A isn't at his maximum, he could get beaten by B and even a C might caught up with him. Vincent, being a solid C beats his brother who is either the lower end of A or a high subtier B, And Jerome, who is an S-tier pretty much keeps defeating himself after the accident and drowning himself in alcohol and hopelesness, having a revival by giving Vincent his place.

In short, Vincent's brother was a lazy self-indungent fuck and it's hinted that all the elite in this movie is like that, giving the minimal effort and conforming with what is given to them, thus defeating the whole purpose of eugenics

>t. cringe

Based realitycheckposter

>Realise the movie name is just the DNA nucleotides ordered in a certain way

Cool

Did the former hilltop leader guy let Ethan Hawke on the spaceship because he has a non genetically modified son like him?

>female lead LITERALLY didn't understand it

Why did Hollywood stop writing women honestly

>the wind caught it

No, his brother just never tried as much and thought his limitations were far more narrow than he thought they were despite the fact that his brother has proven him wrong twice. Think of this way, Vincent lifts 5 times a week, while Anton only lifts 3 times a week, because he believes that's all he's capable of, despite the fact that Anton is taller and naturally more muscular than his older brother, he doesn't believe he can improve and accepts his limitations.

Holy shit you people are all so fucking retarded. I can't believe I'm the only one who gets it.

When Ethan Hawke and his brother are halfway through it, his brother stops and says he can't and he's going to drown, so Hawke saves him and both get back to the shore by swimming very slowly (therefore not using their full strength). That's why he could make it back, because he didn't finish the race at full strength. Hawke's plan was swimming until dying, but his brother was trying to just finish the race. In the end it didn't matter because neither of them finished the race. The race got cancelled. Hawke basically played a bluff and it worked both times. He didn't surpass his physical limits or any other stupid shit, he just used mind games to make his brother think that he was going to be beaten by his inferior brother.

>underrated
>if you were an american in high school or middle school before 2010 you had to watch this in class about 50 times
This movie and finding nemo haunt my dreams because of how many times we were force-fed it over the course of my school career

despite being technically "inferior" to his brother, he had more drive, more ambition, and that can make all the difference. Someone whos genetically superior but lacks animus can lose to someone smaller/weaker with more animus

This is a falseflag post
/pol/tard here, genetics are meaningful, and definitely set an upper limit, but it's not the only thing that matters.

It's retarded when you think about it

You mongoloid, this is exactly why it's underrated. Because retards like you can't get over the fact that you had to to watch it in school so it must be lame.

Go back and watch Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet again and you'll see that shit is on point too.

I thought it was more like he didn't let dna define his limitations and he was willing to die to prove it. He couldn't accept that he was 2nd class and in the end he proved them all wrong.

Based

Ethan was the superman. After he exhausted his brother he still had more than enough strength to pull him back to shore.

shut the fuck up

The system works

Attached: A912B6FC-E111-4D46-9970-B420B947DB78.jpg (185x308, 27K)

if this makes we weep does that mean Im a faggot?

The movie was poorly written. The brother character seemed weirdly shoehorned in at the climax after paying barely any part for the entire film. More focus on the Jude Law character would have been made for a much better film.

I see this kino as actually supporting the dominance of genetics. After all, they really did create a society of super-humans. Ethan Hawke’s character only shows that there are exceptions.

>No amount of nurture can trump genetics
Objectively not what the movie is even about you fucking retarded FAGGOT. And I guarantee im a hell of a lot more "racist", anti blank slate than you you retard. This is a story about WILL POWER something not defined or constrained by genetics.

Fucking kino

This is why evolution/eugenics isnt really... real. In the sense that we can use it as a science. We don't know what the best genes are, we don't know what will be a defect and what will be beneficial and worth passing on until sometime after its discovery.

>This is a story about WILL POWER something not defined or constrained by genetics.
Will power is definitely genetic, at least partially. Why do you think addiction is so predictable based on family history?

It was a great scene, with a great lesson, with great actors, with great music, with a completely stupid line of dialog. You should be able to mentally and emotionally dissociate the facts that you enjoy the scene, the acting, the music, the lesson about the nature of humanity, WITHOUT necessarily having to pretend that the dialog made sense. It didn't made sense. It was a swing and a miss. He should have said "I had greater motivation" or some other poetic variant. There are situations where a character can win over another due to "not saving anything for the swim back", it is possible for this line to be fitting and inspiring and clever, but this situation does not fit. The character saved for the swim back. If he didn't, he would have drown. Actually his brother started drowning so he, in fact, was the one that did not save for the swim back.

Funny because you can attribute ambition and motivation to genetics too.

If you don't save anything for the swim back, then you can't swim back, fast or slow it doesn't matter, and certainly not while carrying someone. You know the dialog doesn't makes sense. Let it go.

While it would have technically been more correct for him to say, "I was never concerned with saving anything for the swim back", that sounds worse and people who have a problem with the line are stupid or autistic.

>mfw at least 3 of my biology professors made us watch this in class
This is basically Osmosis Jones for college students

Attached: 1548948236717.png (261x356, 161K)

>be genetically superior human
>have your arms and face ripped off by a 2 year old chimp

So much for your superior genes, ay white boy?

Blacks will literally destroy you in athletics

Show me the genes

While new theories are suggesting that cells can have their own memory, which is why infants are instinctively scared or drawn to certain things as experienced by previous generations. The actual drive and ambition to either follow or obstain from these is still entirely environmentally based.

>If you don't save anything for the swim back, then you can't swim back
Or, you can float for a bit, and take a fucking rest to get your energy back. Who said they couldn't stop swimming?

the water was probably cold

Common misconception. They statistically fare worse than people of european descents in the vast majority of olympic categories. They do win statistically more often in very specific fields, mainly those that have to do with short distance running.

>JesusChrist, you have a whole board for you racist tards, why do you feel the need to come here and shit up this place?

Because /pol/ is spammed by blacked posters.

>Gattaca was dishonest filmmaking at its finest. It's not a bad movie and has a great score but it sold genetically inferior people a lie.

The point of the swimming contest is that you don't actually know what your potential is. If you only have the will to swim as far as you think you can, you will turn back before someone else who is willing to die instead of turn back.

Actually no. You can't do this if you have no energy. Swimming, albeit slowly, still consumes more energy than 0. If you have no energy you will drown. The brother who started drowning is clearly the one who swam without holding back, yet he did not win. Swimming without holding back certainly cannot be the key to victory in this scene. The dialog is bad. That's ok.

That's because most of the Olympics is stupid bullshit

Lel at the kids mad at you for making a factually true statement. Yes the movie is about the power of will, but it doesnt change the fact Ethan Hawke would have lost every single time if his brother was actually trying.

this

>You can't do this if you have no energy
You can if you're not a lard-assed living meat anchor.

Willpower and ambition also typically are determined by genetics

>Someone genetically superior to someone else will always win. If they didnt' win it's because they weren't trying.

Okay Mein Furher. Literally the textbook coping mechanism of people beaten in a fight. "You only won because I wasn't trying hard enough".

The geneticists in the movie said they could predict potential. They couldn't. They even got swimming potential wrong. The fact that they couldn't predict potential properly is not proof that it cannot be done, it only proves that they did it incorrectly. Brainlets think this is a movie about the power of human determination, 9000+ IQ individuals recognize it is a movie about scientific malpractice.

>evil ppl says character cannot do the thing
>character does the thing
>sad music plays
>character turns toward screen
>"u can do anything"
omg kino

Attached: tears.jpg (302x167, 6K)

Eh...isn't it dangerous to
1. Swim after sex
2. Swim while exhausted
3. Walk across the road in the night without eyeglasses
This movie is encouraging us to take unnecessary risk.

>Your feelings make you weak.
>No. My feelings make me STRONK.

The actual kino moment in the movie was Jude law's silver medal appearing gold in the fire of the furnace as he cremates himself to secure Anton's future.

Wait until the Jews find out about this one

Maybe but people who have it easy don't try as hard because they don't have to. Some people could have the body of prime Schwarzenegger and I the body of peter Dinklage and I'd still fuck them up because they're weak.

shut the fuck up retard its a fact not some right wing bullcrap

They already have.
blogs.plos.org/dnascience/2018/11/08/the-genomic-scars-of-anti-semitism/
Every single jewish person for the rest of time will be able to claim they were personally impacted by the holocaust. they inherited their great great great great great great great great grandfathers experience of having 20 cms of wood shoved up his ass.

damn better start paying them back for their suffering

but isn't your willpower also determined by your genetics? unless you believe in a soul, which would mean this is a christian movie

Or maybe the younger brother understood that ethan hawke was being a retard and was going to kill himself over a stupid game so he turned back to save his life?

>But he possessed qualities that gave him determination, to push himself, without fear of failure or even death.
but can those qualities be genetically selected too?

what it means is his brother was turning back to be "safe". Whats fascinating is, despite being the younger brother, he had all the psychological hangups of a classical older brother. Older siblings are often risk adverse and unambitious due to excessive praise when growing up. Being told your intelligent and clever makes kids cautious so as to not lose their parent's approval. They become "pleasing" to their parents. Younger siblings however are competitive, due to the fact their parents have already seen everything once, and their praise is a lot more measured. Middle or younger children often develop extremely competitive streaks.

However unlike his older brother, being genetically superior created an almost identical mental hangup. see his older brother had no expectations placed on him. his genes said he'd be dead by 30. Meanwhile the younger brother's gene's were those of an Olympic athlete, he had success built into him, and as a result he grew risk adverse. He's already superior, he just didn't want to lose what he had, and didn't know how to work for what he wanted.

In this swimming contest, he always lost. Why? because his older brother never planned to save energy for the swim back, to him he had nothing to lose. His life would end early anyway, and he was basically a 2nd class citizen due to the lack of designer genes. So when racing his genetically superior younger brother he held nothing back.

This is a symbol for how both men chose to live their life. His younger brother, despite being genetically superior, had no grand ambitions for life. So he became a faceless detective. He wanted to be an astronaut, and found a way to scam his way into the space agency, then with his own talent ambition and drive, became selected for a mission to Jupiter, achieving his dream. one had a drive to achieve but no talent, the other had talent but no ambition.

Gattaca is pure kino and one of the three greatest movies I've seen.

Attached: 1484205471362.jpg (480x480, 39K)

>Nah. This is all fake leftist propaganda. No amount of nurture can trump genetics. Might as well say blacks put in a stable environment can be just as capable as whites

Dude, its a fucking movie. There is nothing interesting or to get invested in if the conflict of the movie is summed up with saying the rng process of the genetic lottery determines everything the end. Also, do all you /pol/ faggots have black people on the brain 24/7 all day long? Because damn near every thread nowadays involve one of you incels inserting some off-topic point about race science and black people. Can you just do everyone a favor and take your race fetish back over to /pol/ and stay there.

this. except replace blacks with incels.

he psyched his bitch for a brother out, and knew not to swim against the current(your welcome niggers)

>Gattaca is pure kino and one of the three greatest movies I've seen.
What are the other two?

His brother swam until he started drowning. He still lost. Explain that.

You are missing the point the movie tried to make so hard it's impressive.

Human beings don't have a fucking stamina bar. "Saving" strength is purely a guess based on your personal experience and willpower.
Vincent was willing to die racing, ignoring his own danger instinct via willpower. It just so happened that he survived because his body was able to endure more than what he had originally been conditioned to believe.
Anton was complacent because he didn't expect to lose and so he paced himself and caved into his danger instinct as soon as he felt too tired to continue. He was a firm believer of his own limits because he had been conditioned to believe his limits, though high, were absolute. He starts panicking when he thinks he reached his limit and that's why he starts to drown.

It's like the fuel gauge on your car. Your car doesn't just come to a dead stop once it's empty. Anton is the equivalent of turning off the engine as soon as the meter reaches empty. Vincent is the equivalent of continuing to drive on empty because you think you can still go on for a 10 miles on the tiny bit of remaining fuel that the gauge can't measure.

What does susceptibility to drug addiction have to do with willpower? Some people have drastically higher highs wrt certain drugs. And there is nothing more common in the USA than useless kids who squandered having the world handed to them on a silver platter bought with the blood, sweat, and tears of his progenitors.

>What are the other two?

my top3 are

blade runner
gattaca
heat

Attached: 1484205471365.jpg (960x720, 125K)

Yeah god. It's like 13 percent of the population of 4channel causes over 50 percent of all shitposting.

My favorite scene right here.

youtube.com/watch?v=ie0ctYgpZNQ

Attached: 12734565672372.jpg (899x650, 176K)

I think the movie also highlights just random chance in addition to dna and will power; anybody remember when he ran blind across the street in traffic? DNA, pedigree, determination; in spite of it all you could still be wiped out by random chance.

I don't know how many times I have to do this but I can't resist.

That's the stupidest thing in the movie and it totally ruined the message.
Ethan has just told you: You can do anything. Jude is a believer: he did the impossible.
Then Jude kills himself. Because pride or something.

Sure you said he did it for Ethan. But they just told you.
1. There are holes in the ID system
2. If Jude work hard enough he can beat it.
3. Once Ethan is launched it doesn't matter anymore

If they just wanted the silver to shine they could have a scene of Jude putting his belonging in the incinerator and leaving to start over.

I think you also need to account for the fact that he WAS genetically inferior, most likely, or am I wrong? But thats what put the emphasis even more on will power. Anton could have won if he had the will power but he didnt. I guess they're saying 'we can't genetically engineer badassery' or something like that. The lack of concern for one's own well being. In the military they call it 'command posture'.

Jude was a cripple and hated his life.

manly tears

One has to factor in life potential when talking about badassery, it's a lot easier to do "badass" things when you think you're fittin to die before 30 and think you have no real potential or prospects in life.

I am not missing the point of the movie. I am saying that one line is bad. I can enjoy 99% of the movie and still recognize that this single line is bad. The movie doesn't have to be perfect. It can have one bad line. I am not criticizing the entire movie. I am discussing one line. The brother who started drowning is clearly the one who swam without holding back. He swam until he drowned. He clearly swam until exhaustion. He did not win. Swimming without holding back certainly cannot be the key to victory in this scene. The line is bad and does not fit. That's ok. The music is nice.

Bro your entire hypothesis is wrong from the start I have good genetics for soccer but some guy with a heart defect who actually trains is still gonna beat me. Your genetics (i mean you personally) might be shit but you can still find love user

>Anton could have won if he had the will power but he didnt
Anton didn't swam until he chickened and returned to shore. Anton swam until exhaustion and began to drown. It's in the OP. You can click the video and watch it.

All true but I feel like they should have left out the heart defect part. I mean if his heart explodes up in space he's endangering all those other astronauts, which turns it from a feel good story into something like "would you sacrifice others to achieve your dream?"

You guys have a whole board, too, but you always come here screaming about feminism and how everything you don't like Incel Hitler.

It's a metaphor

what if some guy is born without arms or legs does he still beats you at soccer because he tried really hard

Getting toasty are we?

The problem with eugenics is that it's a false selection. Human will not decide on the traits that make more survivable. They cannot. Only nature and the course of events can do that.
Humans will select more for aesthetics than anything else, and by deleting genetics they find unsavory, may very well end up removing genes that would have been favorable under circumstances they could not foresee.

Yes Vincent is inferior but I think part of it is also conditioning.
Anton has spent years as a detective and presumably doesn't work out as much as Vincent who has been working his ass off to pass as Jerome.

Simply put Anton is running at 75% of good genes
And Vincent is pushing 110% of his bad genes. Where 100% comes from excercising constantly and the 10% comes from being a badass.

he just said he found he can walk and it's his psychology that's holding him back and he had proven to achieve something beyond his genetic programming. And he thanked Ethan for showing him how to live his life. All of his issues are solved. His suicide humiliated everything positive the movie had to say

Such extreme examples are exceptions that prove the rule. And desu people with no limbs can do some wild shit so I wouldn't say it couldn't happen

did you actually take that shit literally? Like Law's character actually thought his legs worked the whole time and he was just psyching himself out? This is a good troll

>Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet
Nobody underrates this because of the big fat underage titties.

Jude's character was a far bigger statement on the futility of our strive for perfection via eugenics.

You have to keep in mind that exhaustion is a state of mind. It's your body telling you you're too tired to continue via pain signals. When you give in to it that's when you're exhausted.

The point is that genetic superiority is an imperfect judgement that humans make, and that real superiority is decided in reality by whoever makes it.
The quote in the beginnig of the film "Who can straigthen, what God has made crooked" summarizes this. The reality was such that despite his genetic flaws, conditions were still so for Vincent that he was able to best his brother, be it due to innate willpower or his upbringing.

Basically but obviously there is a point that the body simply can't function any further. i.e. lifting weights. Doesn't matter how hard you will it if somethings too heavy you ain't gonna lift it.

In the sequel, Vincent suffers from an heart attack during a crucial operation while a shuttle connects to a space station, causing his death and the death of 12 other astronauts, as well as the total destruction of the low orbit space station. The damage is estimated to 60 trillions. An autopsy reveals his genetically weak heart and a subsequent long investigation reveals the case of false identity. Security measures are tripled. Vincent becomes reviled in history books. Whenever a genetically inferior person insists that they can make up for it by trying very hard, they are mocked by saying they are "pulling a Vincent", and then they are asked how many people they need to murder to prove they are just like anyone else, followed by mimicking the act of having an heart attack in space. Eventually all genetically inferior specimen are euthanized because they cannot be trusted professionally.

>I never understood this scene. Because he did swim back didn't he, so how'd he really beat him?
2007 Yea Forums truly was a magical time

Attached: GARTACA.png (704x396, 379K)

>And desu people with no limbs can do some wild shit so I wouldn't say it couldn't happen
Such extreme examples are exceptions that prove the rule.

That's true but it doesn't apply here.
You can't lift a tank via willpower because your muscles aren't physically able to lift 50 tons.
Swimming just requires you constantly move the own weight of your arm and legs in water. There's nothing physically impossible about continuing, your body just puts out increasing amounts of pain to mentally force you to stop.

Correction severe cramps can force you to stop by chemically tightening your muscles until they can't physically move, but I don't think either brother reached that point.

>There's nothing physically impossible about continuing
Yes there is. That is why people can drown. Honest question: are you aware that people can drown? If someone decides to swim from one continent to another, they die in the middle. They drown.

Top 5 kino Yea Forums for me, in no particular order. Post yours.

1.Inception
2.Gattaca
3.Interstellar
4.Quiet Flows The Don(2015)
5.Westworld(season 1, haven't watched 2 yet)

You're taking it too far, of course if you try swimming for 24 hours straight your body will give up on you

>You're taking it too far
It is easier for him to deny basic biology than to admit that one line in a movie that he like is maybe bad.

Yeah I wish they had left the heart condition bit out, training hard and being intelligent is one thing, but his heart can instantly kill him for reasons beyond his control.

I already shitkicked your smallbrain in earlier the fact that you need to cite these crazy hypotheticals is conceding the point and no I'm not the retard saying you can run for 100 years through sheer willpower

nice post. Also great choice of 3 fav movies.

>if you swim for 24 hours you'll die
>this is equivalent to them swimming for 30 minutes
Yeah okay I'm the one taking it too far.

>Swimming just requires you constantly move the own weight of your arm and legs in water.
Absolutely not true

People drown because they give into exhaustion or they cramp up then water enters their lungs when they dip under water.
My point is thst they don't flat out die from being exhausted and exhaustion is something you can fight for a time.
Not to mention Anton starts drowning in the finale because he panics and starts turning in random directions looking for the shore until he swallows water.

you sound angry

Please continue
Let me guess you're going to inject some pedantic shit like "balance" into it.

>the director made only shit movies after this
What went wrong

You sound like you're out of arguments.

>people drown because they give into exhaustion
what did he mean by this? i also want to achieve infinite athleticism by not believing in exhaustion

Kej

>fat neckbeards from Yea Forums can’t understand Gattaca
Lmao that was predictable

take off your tripcode you degenerate loser

>not a single MGS reference yet

There are two swimmers. One swimmer says "I am saving for the swim back". The other swimmer says "I am not saving for the way back".

A. What did the swimmers say?
B. What did it means?
C. One swimmer swims until he starts drowning, which one do you think it is?
D. One swimmer has extra energy and uses it to save the swimmer who is drowning, can you guess which one it is?

You should be able to solve this.

Attached: you fags will argue about anything.jpg (600x320, 46K)

post this in /sci/, it will make them go into autistic overdrive

the point is he ignored survival instinct, potentially sacrificing his life, just to win.

Bruh, if Mike Tyson boxed backpack kid, there is no scenario where backpack kid wins. No amount of "will" is going to change that. When two people act with their full will on each other, and that means matching each other step for step, tohe one with better tools is going to win essentially every time. This is what makes the movie poignant in the first place, not that he overcame bad genetics with will, but that even with bad genetics he never gave up. Whether he went into space or not is beside the point, if anything that scene being so unambiguous is a disservice to the message. PS he definitely has a heart attack at the end.

Too bad I'm Christian. You motherfuckers still owe me reparations for Jesus Christ, now pay up.

Gattaca is also about the fact Society in the movie is not a team player.
Society will not look out for him, or cooperate with him.
So at the moment it stops being about "will you be a team player, and not endanger the expedition" but rather something far simpler
"Will you heed your reasonable ambitions, and do what must be done, when society won't trust you with your reasonable ambitions?"

Its a lot like hiking.
You don't actually know your limitations unless you exceed them. Its a lot like running too, and any other form of sport: You can't push yourself unless you stop constraining yourself, and keep on going until you collapse at the least a few times

?
And?
So his brother has a few IQ points more
Perfect vision
And won't get any form of hereditary diseases or organ failures on his lifetime
And will get taller, with slightly better muscle composition of type 1 and type 2 A and type 2b muscle fibers.

What Gattaca is about is that those differences are not significant.
They are minor.
Essentially Vincent got bad DNA rolls on birth, but not that awful ones.

Attached: Plebian_orange_juice.jpg (1024x921, 234K)

The point is he was willing to risk drowning in an attempt to succeed. His brother wouldnt even risk being embarrassed. This is the crux of will.

>When two people act with their full will on each other
Their ‘full’ are different and defined by mental abilities, i.e. by will, dumbass.

Now you are being deliberately retarded. Take two people with the same level of "will" but the contest is they are hitting each other punch for punch. Mike Tyson would kill backpack kid before he could even harm Tyson, and born in, absolutely nothing will change that. Do you see the point being made? If people are equal in terms of skill and abilities, then the question becomes will. But if they aren't, its simply a matter of who has better tools. Which Ethan hawkes brother had in the movie, he just lacked the will to use it. Get it? Its really very simple. The real world isnt Rocky where an untrained autist is going to go toe to toe with a world class heavyweight, no matter the willpower.

Cease your gay dreams about Mike Tyson, I won’t read this shit.
>take two people with the same level of will
Why? Is will defined by your genetics?
Of course if we take two people with same ‘level of will’ and one is physically stronger, the stronger one would win, it’s not about that, idiot.

Yep. The main character is the equivalent of a top engineer at NASA, so he was born with at least 145 IQ, probably higher, definitely not genetically inferior to anyone, not to mention his looks.

Good list and pic user

This.

have sex