The shining and the architecture design of the overlook

Where is the maze and why there are parts where you can see it in the front, and others than don't?

I mean, why if Kubrick does it is a masterpiece, but if a b movie horror director does it, it's just a continuity error?

And I don't mean it in a bad way, I love the shining

Attached: The_Overlook_Hotel.jpg (1280x1000, 355K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Post-release_edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wrong side retard

Because there wasn't any single hotel that could match the desired look of the Overlook, so they shot it at multiple locations. I don't think the interior of the place they used for the exterior shots is ever seen. It's just a result of the technical necessities of film making.

The maze is on the other side.

thanks for the obvious answers

Yes, I know, but here's the thing, is not even trying to hide that. If you're filming to places to make it look like one, the least thing you can do is hide the fact that you're looking at two places. And there are some obvious continuity errors troughout the film, and even theres people who consider Kubrick a genius for using them (see room 237)

Also, the maze wasn't even on the book, but there are parts where you can see concrete pipes that appear on the novel.

It's believable enough. You don't make films with the intent of standing up to the scrutiny of someone who watches the film 300 times, otherwise you would never get past the first scene. Out of 100 people who watch The Shining maybe 1 would take issue with what you are pointing out. The problem isn't with Kubrick but with stuff like Room 237 that inflates the importance of every single decision made by him to have some kind of grand symbolic intent behind it.

The film is made with such assurance, intention and skill that you can comfortably assume that any"errors" are committed on purpose.

Autism, HO!

Attached: autism.jpg (1500x1125, 119K)

Some stuff is obviously just continuity errors but there are other "impossible" spaces that seem intentional, like Ullman's office having an outside window despite being in the middle of the building.

why pointing that out as a problem? the problem is not the documentarie or pointing it out, is just an observation on a film. But the thing is that even in those "error" there is a lenguage, and in any other place those are just that, errors, but to make it intentionaly, I never saw that.

The quick and dirty answer to your question is that there are two hedge mages. Two elaborate, we need to delve deeper into the film. First off, it needs to be said, every living thing shines a little bit. Ordinarily, the bustling warm season patronage of the Overlook (not to mention the particularly gifted Hallorann) shines enough to balance out the collective paranormal shining on "the other side" (hereafter referred to as the Underlook) from the Indian burial ground and Grady family. Thing of it like putting weight against a door to keep it from opening. In the winter, no such counterweight existed with just the Gradys and later Torrances (despite the particularly gifted Danny) as caretakers. Having said that, when the Underlook isn't balanced out, convergence events begin happening at the Overlook when "the other side" begins creeping its way in. The Underlook is a chaotic place where the laws of our universe don't apply, and the layout is always changing. The Overlook itself begins to make no sense when convergences of the Underlook occur, and it's very easy for a winter caretakers to become lost in halls they've acquainted themselves with all winter. When Jack is chasing Danny through the Overlook's hedge maze, Danny's shining is actually a bubble of sorts holding off Underlook convergence, so both Danny and Jack have an easier time finding their way through the more congruent Overlook's hedge maze. When Danny tricks Jack with the footprints and puts enough distance between them, Danny finds his way out but Jack unknowingly walks into a convergence of the Underlook's hedge maze. He becomes hopelessly lost because the Underlook doesn't make sense, turns will literally change as soon as he takes them. In the original theatrical cut, Jack's body is never found because it was on "the other side," he wholly became a part of the Underlook. Audiences didn't understand it, so it was cut.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shining_(film)#Post-release_edit

Attached: 1560901914879.jpg (2800x2200, 1.36M)

or how the themes in the window changes, sometimes showing the cup of the three and sometimes the base

My best guess is that he was going for a feel of being lost.

Whats with all the shining threads?

I think the point of Room 237 is to display that lunacy, not to promote it

Well the thing is, Kubrick was already a very well established and respected director with numerous 'masterpiece' level films under his belt. When someone like this, who already has a great reputation, makes a certain decision, or even makes an error, it is more prone to be interpreted as a deliberate, thoughtful choice, rather than a spur of the moment decision or an error. Whereas, when someone who is unproven does the same people have no idea what that person is capable of, whether they are talented or shit, and thus they will be more likely to call out errors, rather than trying to see some deliberate intent.

Is this real or just imagined? I write books but this level of detail is autistic and, most of all, time consuming. How did Kubrick get it done on time?

THIS

Movies aren't made by one person. He was working with extremely talented set designers, location scouts, continuity editors, etc. Also whether or not it was all indeed deliberate is up for interpretation.

and "writing books" isn't time consuming?

I don't have a time limit. Movies are on a strict time limit.

The HOTEL is the MAZE.

Kubrick was well known for going over budget and over time.

theyre remaking it. F

Ullman's office also has a window to the outside, despite it appearing to be located in the middle of the building itself.