Stillborn franchises

Times studios got a little ahead of themselves.

Attached: DAAAARK.png (616x347, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/05/17/nintendo-nabs-exclusive-rights-to-sonic-the-hedgehog/
slashfilm.com/dark-universe-budgets-and-lawsuit/
youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Regardless of the movie, what is the problem there? Can't have production company logos in your movie anymore?

Attached: du.png (283x896, 128K)

They tried with Dracula Untold and Wolfman, both failed. No wonder they wanted to kickstart it after these two.

You seem to be missing the forest for the trees here.

DC Extended Universe

So many YA movies.

Attached: 1538476780_de1c55bf-12ca-49c7-b7f6-3c6e4775276f.jpg.847f79aa0947af9c2d2e7420aa3fb3d8.jpg (750x1110, 86K)

oops

Attached: daaaark.jpg (1200x800, 140K)

Ghost Busters 2016 can not be topped.
Dark Universe was criticized even before the movie came out. Despite terrible reviews it managed to gross 400m. Ghost Busters was asslicked (Certified Fresh my ass) and still made half of The Mummy's boxoffice. They even had some Ghost Busters emergency unit, lol.
Yeah these too.

GB was just another entry in an old franchise, it wasn't the start of a new one. There's lots of failed revivals but OP is obviously asking for those times when a brand new franchise is planned out and expected and then it dies at the first hurdle.

Then Dark Universe is another entry to old franchise too, kinda.
Dark Universe screwed their marketing. They should pay more attention to the fact that they were 1st to introduce the concept of cinematic universe. I believe that it would be better recieved if people knew about this. Trashing the movie for something that it was supposed to be is like walking into a grocery shop and complaining that you can't buy shoes there.

Attached: monsters.jpg (1194x692, 241K)

>Despite terrible reviews it managed to gross 400m.
And lost like 60 million dollars because the budget was massive for what it was

What's Russell doin' with his hand there?

They screwed up trying to make The Mummy some kind of generic superhero type action blockbuster. The 1999 remake was an action film but a very specific kind of adventure throwback, this 2017 one had no idea what it was supposed to be. Throw in the heavyhanded THIS IS A FRANCHISE universe stuff and it was just a waste of time.

As soon as you're on Russell's level you can ask those kinds of questions

looks like he didn't even know he was being photographed

Attached: nintendocinematicuniverse[1].jpg (954x570, 90K)

It's his tic. It's like he's holding an invisible cane.

Attached: russell-crowe.jpg (625x996, 486K)

>Sonic
>Nintendo

The adventure begins... and ends.
Not a bad movie though.

Attached: 2352238.jpg (284x398, 36K)

>he doesn't know

This is funny, studio is literally retarded or just blind. All previous mummy movies made 400m, all tom cruise movies that are not mission impossible also make up to 400m, usually even less, generally almost all monster movies and adventure movies make something up to 400m, there are dozens of examples

HOW THE FUCK COULD THEY EXPECT IT TO MAKE MORE THAN THAT?? HOW MUCH DID THEY EXPECT? 800M OUT OF NOTHING?

It feels like the Divergent films were stillborn, but somehow they kept going in spite of it, pinning a corpse to cinema screens until they just disappeared.

They were banking on it being their “Iron Man” and launching a superhero cinematic universe.

ok but ironman made 500m something, not that big difference when you count % cut studio gets back

>have cast of well known but dated horror icons in need of an updated vision, for your new cinematic universe
>just make it a generic action blockbuster

Megabomba

Such a waste. I've been waiting 10 years for big budget action packed horrors, basically since Van Helsing. Dark Universe announced their movies as an adventurous alternative to dozens of cheap scares that flood the market. Now they pack it up after just one movie and going for more cheap shit like shitload of other horrors killing any alternative. Meanwhile random capeshit appears every few months. How long do we have to wait for another chance?

Still waiting for the familia extended universe and dark universe crossover

The original script for The Mummy involved a car chase. Maserati vs Rolls Royce.

It was sold as a reboot not a sequel

Sonic is owned by nintendo now

Aside from revenue its set up was not exciting really. It just felt contrived imo

Sad that it’s not getting any movies. The first one was fucking amazing

Attached: 4L_p03tWyaH.jpg (1440x810, 184K)

I didn't say sequel, I said entry.

No it isn't.

Didn't they make 3 or 4 of these

forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/05/17/nintendo-nabs-exclusive-rights-to-sonic-the-hedgehog/

That had three entries and at least the first one was a big hit. Seems it just petered out rather than die on arrival.

I love this irony where people say that Dark Universe was forced but MCU wasn't. Perfect example of double standards.
Iron Man had a special post credit scene made only to introduce and name upcoming project Avengers. Yet this is fine.
The Mummy managed to insert similar scene into main plot, they shown few jars without even naming. This is somehow forced.

So, now be honest, what's more forced?
1. A scene within the plot that is following the flow of the movie? (The Mummy)
Or
2. A special made scene that serves no storyline purpose and is there only as a teaser? (Iron Man)

That's not what owning means, you idiot.

>Iron Man had a special post credit scene made only to introduce and name upcoming project Avengers. Yet this is fine.
Because it's after the credits, before stingers were standard for comic films, if you just left at the credits you wouldn't even know. It has no bearing on the actual film itself. It was solely an easter egg. You could still watch Iron Man 1 as a completely standalone film today.

The Mummy went off on this Not-SHIELD excursion for its entire second act. What do you think Russell Crowe was doing in the film? Not having shit to do with The Mummy that's for sure. The plot of the film is a mess for numerous reasons but this is a big one of them.
When they overdid the MCU stuff in Iron Man 2, that film got shit for it, it's cited as a big negative in a disappointing sequel. They did that stuff from Iron Man 2 in their Iron Man 1, and they did it way worse.

who ever created this is autistic

Attached: 1530838558517.png (1000x700, 101K)

>Mega Man
>Sonic
>Nintendo

cope harder

>What do you think Russell Crowe was doing in the film?
Not the same user but for me he was like Agent K in 1st Men in Black movie. I'd compare The Mummy to MIB more than MCU, look:
>MIB: A rookie meets an alien
Mummy: Tom Cruise meets a monster
>MIB: Older agent introduces a secret agency rookie wasn't aware of
Mummy: Crowe introduces a secret agency Tom had no idea about
>MIB: rookie slowly gets into this
Mummy: Tom slowly gets into
>MIB: movie ends with rookie now working for the good guys, he has knowledge and equipment
Mummy: Tom has Seth powers and works for good guys now

Why couldn't reviewers see this? The idea of monster hunting agency is straight from Men In Black. Nowadays MIB1 would be probably criticized for "forced alien universe" too, just like The Mummy.

The Mummy was average. That's what was so bad about it. It wasn't bad enough to where you can have fun with it and it wasn't good enough to be like "Can't wait for the next one"

There's no way he will pull this off

Attached: Capture.png (636x215, 10K)

The Mummy's absolute kino. Too bad only 20% of critics could get it. Probably not enough of CGI and quippy faggots in spandex for the rest of them.

Attached: kinommy.png (2677x1112, 3.78M)

None of this makes for a very entertaining Mummy movie.

The great irony is that it blatantly copied the MCU formula and this faggot here is trying to pretend it's some special shit.

It was pretty cool for what it was. How would you imagine a very powerful ancient princess waking up in a modern city? For me it would be probably something like this but I'd add more scenes where she is killing people to regenerate herself. Or maybe remove plane crash, have mummy waking up in a museum instead, then slowly crawling in dark alleys. The movie was just too fast, it could be 30 minutes longer with more of such creepy scenes.

all this tells me is the Mummy is barely in the Mummy film, instead of we have Dr Jekyl and Tom Cruise playing Some Guy, and ripping off American Werewolf in London.

>doubting James Cameron
yeahhhh I wouldn't do that

Attached: jamescameronoscars2711c.jpg (968x645, 85K)

I was actually excited for this, too bad the movies sucked. Cinematic universes are comfy but super heroes are not.

>the Mummy is barely in the Mummy film
Bullshit, she is there almost all the time. Play the movie and jump to any random scene after leaving the tomb. She will appear within 2 or 3 minutes. Darth Vader had only like 10 minutes of total screen time in the 1st Star Wars movie.

>no she's there a billion minutes but also it's a good thing she's barely there

Remember Eragon?

user, there isn't a lot of mummy in any mummy movie. Check 1999 movie. The mummy is barely there. We have him in the intro, then 30 minutes of nonsense with jail, ship and horses. The mummy appears after like an hour, kills few people, kidnaps the girl and thats all. We are stuck with Brondan for another half hour untill the final battle. 50s hammer mummy movie isn't much better. Christopher Lee is in the intro, then wakes up and kills people. I don't remember universal monsters mummy but I think there isn't much of mummy in it either.

>Brondan
Brandon, sorry for typo

before now, I'd forgotten

Attached: MV5BNzMyMGI1N2UtNzc5YS00OGNkLTg1OTktMTNkMmY2Zjk1NTQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg (972x1440, 267K)

Yet the film revolves around the Mummy. It's not simply about screentime, it's about the focus of the film.

What kills me about most of these is.. maybe I'm too old, but I feel like they always make these movies when the core audience is already aged out. For fucks sake. They're making a Artemis Fowl movie. What's the demo for that? Mid-Late 20 somethings?

Ehhhh I’m not one to doubt Cameron, he’ll literally enslave his cast and crew to finish his movies to his quality standards. He has a magic touch.

Same. Fun, light horror is peak televisual experience. Supershit can't compare. Are You Afraid of the Dark, Sleepaway Camp 2, Scream, Goosebumps, The Mummy with Brendon, etc. A cinematic universe with monsters and fun adventure stories would be a great time, too bad Universal sharted itself.

go ahead and laugh at this but you forget that right now ILLUMINATION ANIMATION is making a Mario Bros movie

i think the second one had one of the best swordplay

They are making a tv show. Bad news It's by Netflix.

>Dark Universe announced their movies as an adventurous alternative to dozens of cheap scares that flood the market. Now they pack it up after just one movie and going for more cheap shit
Wrong. Dark Universe was not all about blockbusters. Stop spreading false info. They planned low budget films too. Read this. It's from May 2017, so before the release of The Mummy.
>However, the most interesting thing to note from a new article about the creation of Dark Universe is that not every film will be a giant tentpole release.
Here's source.
slashfilm.com/dark-universe-budgets-and-lawsuit/

The Mummy was a big blockbusters but it doesn't mean that all of them were supposed to be like this. Low budget movies were planned since the begining and The Invisible Man will be one of them. I'm sure Dracula or Frankenstein will need a bit higher budget.

I don't think they will drop the name or logo either. Logo shows darker side of Universal's planet Earth which suits the concept of these monsters. They are rooted in folklore, myths and legends and unlike Marvel, they are well grounded. There are no cosmic creatures or space Hitlers.

will probably be entirely disposable and make tons of money

>The Invisible Man will be one of them. I'm sure Dracula or Frankenstein will need a bit higher budget.
None of them are happening dude. All the people spearheading that franchise jumped ship. It's just going to be unrelated standalone pictures now.

Nice. Prepare yourselves for world war era British children who are transgendered Ethiopians and a snow queen who boasts about Making Narnia Great Again.

the invisible man is on his knees about to suck russell's dick

man of Steel universe. It was too good for it’s time and then the studio had to stick its dick in it

Get ready for Princess Caspian

I've heard that while they are going to focus more on standalone movies the idea of shared universe isn't ruled out. Blumhouse is "open for it" and may or may not use some of Dark Universe scripts. We will have to wait. Universal basically created cinematic universes so now they will probably try to do something more than just a high budget TV series alla Marvel. In fact they MUST come with something groundbreaking because masses literally believe that Marvel was the first one to do this.

The people next to Tom need to sit and slouch to compensate.

Fun fact, almost none of them were actually in the photo together, they just shooped them together, and Bardem/Depp were never even under contract for the roles.

The Mummy is legitimately one of the best comedy/horror/action films ever made, right up until Russel Crowd is introduced. From there, it's just straight downhill. The plane scene is amazing.

If there was MCU logo, people would be jizzing over Tom's stunts and praise these quips ("its not me, it's you", "kick her ass") especially when 90% of other MCU flicks are nothing more than CGI and similar quips. You know it.

You're one note.

An actual dark universe shill. Lmao holy shit, you exist?

>it wasn't the start of a new one

They were literally trying to build a cinematic universe retard

The only good thing about the DARK UNIVERSE is that botched audioless trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=f1jg5YlQuT8

Died laughing back then and have continued posting as a ghost since.

I heard a Mario Kart sound.

This trailer was gold.
>Aaaaaaaah
>aaaaaa
>AAAAAAA
But there is something that is almost always ignored. As bad as The Mummy is, it was one of rare blockbusters that did not rely on CGI as there are only few scenes like that. Almost all other blockbusters from last 5 years are full of CGI, I'm sick of that.

Reread this series on a lark about 2 years ago.

It's still shit, but it's kind of fun shit.

>a-alita!!!