The highest grossing film has always been an original movie

There's some hope for Hollywood after all.

Attached: screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2019.06.18-17-07-26.jpg (546x482, 87K)

>original
At least 5 of these are based off books. And Avatar is a Ferngully remake

why some of them are few times?

Is gone with the wind that good? Or was there just fuck all to do in the past?

Re-releases.

You can pin point the exact moment they switched from the gold standard to fiat

But they aren't sequels, that makes them original.

Going to the theater was literally the only way to watch a movie before home video came around.

>But they aren't sequels, that makes them original.
Are you slow, mate?

Someone needs to correct that, The Singing Fool overtook The Birth of a Nation in 1928, I belieeeve.

Also, you got historical movie, bestseller adaptation, biopic, bestseller adaptation, book adaptation, heavily plagiarized "original", heavily plagiarized "original" (google Satyajit Ray The Alien), bestseller adaptation, historical movie, heavily plagiarized "original".

>Sound of Music
>biopic

Reminder that the first (actual) Great Depression that engulfed whole world was during the times when we had gold standard and it happened because we ran out of gold(until Brits dug out some in South Africa). Gold standard is a suicide for world economy.

>The Sound of Music
>Original movie
L M A O

Attached: 220px-Die_Trapp_Familie_Poster.jpg (220x307, 31K)

ET, Star Wars, Titanic and Avatar are the only movies there not based in a novel or play.

>die trap family
based

Attached: 5.png (358x397, 177K)

It is a biopic.

>In 1956, Paramount Pictures purchased the United States film rights, intending to produce an English-language version with Audrey Hepburn as Maria.[2] The studio eventually dropped its option, but one of its directors, Vincent Donehue, proposed the story as a stage musical for Mary Martin.[2] Producers Richard Halliday and Leland Heyward secured the rights and hired playwrights Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse, who had won a Pulitzer Prize for State of the Union.[3] They approached Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein to compose one song for the musical, but the composers felt the two styles—traditional Austrian folk songs and their composition—would not work, and offered to write a new score for the entire production.[3] The Sound of Music opened on November 16, 1959, at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in New York City and ran on Broadway for 1,443 performances, winning six Tony Awards, including Best Musical.[4]

I didn't even know about this, thanks user. A biopic AND a remake.

I never knew they were going to make a movie before the musical. You learn something every day.

I like that there's this idea like Endgame surpassing Avatar's boxoffice would actually mean anything. Avatar got that BO with it's first outing. With no other films or build up. Avengers: Endgame had more than a decade of films behind it building up to the final movie in the series with a massive cliff hanger and billions in investments.

Which is the greater achievement?

They even make a sequel where the family went to america.
AMERICA

Attached: MV5BMTM4NjgyNDEzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY4MDMwMg@@._V1_.jpg (337x475, 41K)

>(google Satyajit Ray The Alien)
oh no he di'int!

6, 7, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2.

I'm gonna watch these. Unfortunately, comparison purposes may require me to watch The Sound of Music again, which I wasn't planning to do but am willing to.

Oh, and Rodgers and Hart>Rodgers and Hammerstein, obviously.

>original but based on historical events
>based on a book
>based on a musical
>based on a book
>based on a book
>based on a book
>original
>original
>based on a book
>original but based on historical events
>original but based on a timeless story told across 1,000 other mediums
nigga what are you smoking

During the Great Depression, people went to the movies all the time because they were unemployed and had nothing to do. It was cheap and everyone got to go. Adults saw news reels before the feature presentation to see if things were ever going to get better for them. Children were given a free piece of candy, usually a Werther's Original, and that might have been the only thing they'd eat that day.

Gone With the Wind was an escape to a happier place. Everyone is so rich and happy and there are feast scenes where the audience could dream of more delicious food than they could stuff into their shrunken stomachs. After the South is destroyed and the characters lose everything, people are still able to find a way to move on. Gone With the Wind gave the people of that time a dream and a little bit of hope that they could survive.

Well, Avatar had James Cameron known for Titanic, Terminator 2, Aliens, etc. Not like it didn't have clout from the get go as well.

>Spielberg denied this claim and said "I was a kid in high school when his script was circulating in Hollywood."[3] Star Weekend Magazine disputes Spielberg's claim, pointing out that he had graduated from high school in 1965 and began his career as a director in Hollywood in 1969.[4] The Times of India noted that E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) had "remarkable parallels" with The Alien
OH NONONONONONONONONONONONO

I agree with your post, except for this
>usually a Werther's Original
You need to clarify that this would only have been in Germany. Werther's Original was not a big brand anywhere else until the 90s.

Attached: Pocahontas-In-Space.jpg (570x555, 120K)

I thought Avatar was a Dances With Wolves remake. They even have the same runtimes.

That's just how my grandma told me about the movies during the depression. She probably meant "generic butterscotch hard candy". She loved watching all the people eating on screen.

Pinched title too. If he was going to lift a title he should have called it I Am Curious: Blue.

literally everything in existence is a remake of something, the only original piece of media is Beowulf

Maybe she's a deep cover Waffen SS agent accidentally giving herself away. Report the incident to the FBI.

lies

Only Jeff Koons and other cunts of that kidney come out with this kind of shit.

the first unga bunga painting in a cave is the only original piece of media, anything after that is just a copy of a copy

Beowulf is just an amalgamation of stories shared around campfires for millenia before that.

Look at this pair of uncreative shithouses who dream of being the fatguts from RLM, taking comfort in the lie that creativity doesn't exist. No, it exists, you just ain't got it you fucking smegma-eaters.

UNGA
BUNGA
CAVE
PAINTING

;_; God bless her.

I wish we could find the brand she actually ate though, but don't alarm her by saying "Werther's Originals were for Japanazis, what the fuck gramma?" Details can get hazy, and we're surrounded by branding. Part of why current movies fucking suck. Her generation got the great movies they deserve. God bless them.

I
AM
AN
ARTIST
BITE
ME

Did I say Beowulf wasn't creative? Checkmate, faggot.

The Birth of a Nation was based on a book.

My post used the present tense, you checkmated yourself.

Holy shit, I forgot, so:
Also, you got historical book adaptation (bestseller of the time?), bestseller adaptation, biopic, bestseller adaptation, book adaptation, heavily plagiarized "original", heavily plagiarized "original" (google Satyajit Ray The Alien), bestseller adaptation, historical movie, heavily plagiarized "original".

The Titanic was sunk by a bomb to kill the Astors and other rich fags who were against federal reserve so thats a fictional historical movie for your

But Beowulf was written in the past. Creativity does exist, it did then and it does now. But most works are not original.

The one without an entry barrier
Endgame isn't just a movie the general population will see because it's not a standalone, old people aren't going because comic books are for kids, women don't have the patience to sit through 20 movies in order to see it, and normalfags in general don't want to actually do their homework in order to catch up on the lore and story

How many of those would have been able to make profit in this day and age though?