One made 2.7 billion over the holidays

>One made 2.7 billion over the holidays
>The other made 2.7 billion during the summer

Now tell me which is the more impressive box office achievement.

Attached: imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-YCjhQKwKzAJ.jpg (1019x755, 309K)

The one that won

Attached: avatar.jpg (249x243, 58K)

I found Avatar to be burdensome to watch. It beat me over the head with the "Noble Savage" mantra, facing off against evil white 1-dimensional American earth-men.

BASED abatap poster

>literally Pocahontas in space
>MUH DEEP MOOBIE KINO EFFECTS 3D INFLATION
just shut the fuck up already

the one that doesnt need 20 flicks buildup and massive asslicking by every media possible

Avatar made 5.8 times its budget. Avengers Endgame made 3.8 times its budget. Napoleon Dynamite made 115 times its budget

The one that made 3.27 billion adjusted for inflation ;^)

The "blockbusters in winter" thing was started by Cameron, it's only after Avatar that studios started doing it.

avengers part 1 (infinity war) and 2 made almost 5 billions
mcu made 25 billions adjusted for inflation

This tour way of coping mouse shill.

I dont think avatar is any better than capeshit

Yep. It's not like there was a precedent of blockbusters doing poorly around Christmas and Avatar broke it, it's that Avatar STARTED it.

One also was in theaters for 8 months, if the other is in theaters that long it'll definitely pass the other

yeah but one was making money, other one had massive opening because of spoilers, then died quickly

AVATAR has a story than even your dog and your grandma can understand and even if it is crap is 100X better than that ENDGAME unwatchable shit mess if you are not a disney drone.

If avengers didnt have any of the movies leading up to it and was just the avengers series alone i doubt they would be as big

Avatar more than 10 times its budget

Imagine if this was Yea Forums and there were anons arguing passionately till death will Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber get more album sales in endless +300 post threads.
This is what you autists are currently doing.

People didn’t watch it for the story.

real numbers here

Attached: 5337557.jpg (708x550, 76K)

no you retard, this is like discusing if Eagles Album was better than Thriller from Michael Jackson, both shit of course.

>Now tell me which is the more impressive box office achievement.

Who cares.They're both shit.

Avengers took 10+ years to build an audience with an investment in the story, Avatar was just one movie. So Avatar wins.

Simply put, Avatar is the first Star Wars, while Endgame is the last Harry Potter

based big dimes napoleon

Only a billion dollars left to go, mcucks

fpbp

Avatar was in theatres for several months straight

But both are garbage

Robust

I know this is shitposting, but Avatar made it through two releases

BASED AND BLUEPILLED

I could watch Engame again if I really had nothing else to do, but I would never rewatch Avatar.

Attached: reddit avatar.jpg (587x394, 77K)

how do i downvote?

>m-muh plot

2.7 billion in 2009
2.7 billion in 2019

Tell me what's more impressive

I hate this board so much. How hard is it to look this up to see that isn't true? First of all, you may have heard of this movie called Titanic that did really well as a december release. Besides that each of the LOTR movies were December releases. Before that it was typical for a studio to release a big film ahead of Christmas. Jumanji, Mars Attacks, Dumb & Dumber, Schindler's List, Toys, sometimes it was a great spot, some times the films flopped. It's been a strategic spot for studios for a long time. The idea Avatar invented it is such glaring ignorance I cannot fathom your misplaced pride in posting it here like it was a fact or helpful to the discussion.

>First of all, you may have heard of this movie called Titanic that did really well as a december release
So you admit that Cameron started it (i.e. what I said)?
>Christmas. Jumanji, Mars Attacks, Dumb & Dumber, Schindler's List, Toys
Those aren't blockbusters, genius.

BASTE AND REDPILLED

The one that made 2.7m in 2009

APPLE BOTTOM JEANS

What about Blair Witch? That has to be the most profitable film of all time

2.7 billion in 2019 of course
Cinema is dying, slowly but steadily
It's why the only things that are made are big franchise films

>Avatar invented it, I mean Cameron 12 years earlier, same thing
>Jumanji, Dumb & Dumber, Schindler's list were't blockbusters

.....wow

I feel like a lot of people don't get this. Look at Gone With The Wind. It did really well. Some movies after it did well, but once color TV became a thing, movies struggled to ever have a hit that big again. Now people are ok with watching shit on their phones. Any movie doing well today is great. Both Avatar and Endgame.

Based.

>after a century of comics consisting characters that were based on ancient deities from ancient stories that spanned over a millennia ago
>after generation after generation of vidya, retcon, fan service, and all other kinds of marketing
>after billions upon billions of dollars spent on over 22 movies over the past decade
>after all the effort humanity put in leading up to this finale
>imagine... just imagine... it doesn't do it
>just imagine, that standalone film FROM said decade ago that began that cinematic challenge remains at the top
>imagine it doesn't break that 3 billion and become the top grossed movie in human history
>imagine, after ALL that, it STILL doesn't come out on top
just... imagine

OH WAIT

Attached: 270FA232-1E70-430C-9244-85B2BA41189E.png (687x356, 602K)

spess kets for de win

Attached: poony hooman.png (1159x1065, 2.08M)

Kneel to your king, capeshitters.

Attached: James-Cameron-Rolex-Submariner.jpg (1600x1597, 415K)

If you read my post again you'll see that both parts of it are correct. The concept of launching big blockbusters in winter was first done by Cameron, and the trend of other studios doing it started after Avatar.
>Jumanji, Dumb & Dumber, Schindler's list were't blockbusters
Jumanji certainly wasn't. You named 2 of them that were successful flukes.

Friendly reminder to all capeshit zoomers that Avatar is MUCH MUCH more important movie than Avengers too. Avatar helped blow out the Chinese market, the only reason Endgame is even in contention. Being the first digital-only release, Avatar was also instrumental in accelerating the adoption of digital screens worldwide. This made Endgame's massive opening weekend possible, btw. That aside, Avatar also introduced new filmmaking techniques that are now used everywhere, in movies and video games, such as performance capture, the simulcam, and the virtual cam. P.S. the performance capture technique used to make Thanos in the last two movies was first implemented in Avatar.

Attached: 6B5F444F-EAC0-41F3-8B8B-3ACFB71CD697.jpg (981x899, 216K)

I like how there's a cross for Endgame because it's dead

in one instance it was a movie to watch, in another it didn't have nearly as much buildup as endgame but still came out strong
like seriously
and no btw, endgame had a big opening but that was it
it will always be... #2

Attached: 15390668452.jpg (1714x897, 330K)

>Endgame grossing less than 500K
I DID MY TIME!

Attached: 52ADAFB8-1B5F-4097-A231-79E25BDEE5FB.png (121x151, 2K)

Avatar is the 2nd worst movie on that list.

It makes sense how avatar was a breakthrough, but I still wonder to this day how in the fuck he managed to make titanic

Movies don't keep making money forever though. Avatar was in theatres so long because it kept making money.

>one made 2.7b when kids were out of school
>the other one too
ok?

>it's only after Avatar that studios started doing it.
>it's that Avatar STARTED it

Neither of these statements are true

>Jumanji certainly wasn't. You named 2 of them that were successful flukes.
Top 10 highest grossing film of 1995, spawned a cartoon series and a revival series? Also...flukes? Wtf do you think this is, a hit in december is the point. Good day to you moron moving the goal posts. You're wrong and a detriment to discussions.

>film that can be enjoyed on it's own as a self contained story

vs

>awfuly paced film who's plot requires bs time travel that requires watching at least 15 other films to know who everyone is, what all the macguffins are and why anything matters.

I think I know who i'd rather be the highest grossing film of all time

Attached: 1559115959319.jpg (247x250, 3K)

>Neither of these statements are true
You're quoting two different people you imbecile. The winter blockbuster concept started with Titanic (Cameron) and was copied after Avatar.
>Wtf do you think this is, a hit in december is the point
No, the point is that movie studios used winter as a month to release films that were either risky and uncertain of profit or low-quality messes. Flukes do not change a trend.

Endgame also released in the holidays
the Chinese holidays
that's why it made so much in China
well that and the fact China had 1100% more theater screens than it had in 2009 (from 5000 to 50 000)
this ridiculous increase is the only reason Endgame has (I mean had) a shot at beating Avatar

55 000* screens sorry

It's pretty much this.

Attached: spendgame.jpg (1199x770, 85K)

What if Endgame gets a rerelease?
A holiday rerelease alongside an oscar push would definitely give it a boost

Anything that makes this list after 1990 or so is impressive, at that point theaters were everywhere, VHS tapes and home video were the norm, and there were countless options for entertainment both at home and in theaters. The later the movie is the more impressive it is since all of these options only continued to be greater and easier to access.

>one made 2.7 billion by coming the fuck out of NOWHERE
>the other made 2.7 billion after years of setup, interconnected gay shit, and actively manipulating its fanbase over social media to "support the Avengers" and waste money on multiple tickets.

I hate Marvel so fucking much and don't care about numbers, but them losing this dick-measuring contest makes me satisfied.

>Now tell me which is the more impressive box office achievement.

Anyone who thinks that summer releases are harder than holiday releases is mongolian pleb tier in my book

Attached: 1551911747313.jpg (126x124, 3K)

so, Endgame

>he doesn't know
nobody tell him

based

>One made more money than the other
Now tell us which is more impressive

>all these hits in december were flukes
>flukes don't change a trend

Attached: 1550739320634.jpg (500x437, 44K)

All two of them? Flukes not changing a trend is the definition of the word you butthurt incel.

/thread

The population of third worlders who can afford to go to the movies has skyrocketed in recent years, so it balances out.

name a year where there wasn't a hit film released in December, I'll wait.

robust