What did the elevator full of redrum symbolize in The Shining? The best fan theories I've heard:

What did the elevator full of redrum symbolize in The Shining? The best fan theories I've heard:
>its similarity to blood was an omen of death
>the fact that Ullman said all booze was removed from the premises meant the Overlook was capable of making the metaphysical into the physical, as with the white man's bourbon served to Jack by Lloyd
>Jack's "skeletons in the closet," namely alcoholism, were always looming in his family life to the point of quite literally flooding in

Attached: 1459222060072.gif (350x246, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t7-GKHM5HZ8
vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/the-hidden-and-not-so-hidden-messages-in-stanley-kubriks-eyes-wide-shut-pt-i/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

blood, you mean blood you fucking retard. and nothing, not a god damn thing.

The Shining is like the new Twin Peaks -- nothing is a symbol, you're just shown ghosts and the supernatural and that's it

nothing you retard it's just meant to be creepy

>director does something because it looks visually interesting
>literal retards spend decades debating what he meant by that

Just because you didn't manage to pick up on the themes of Twin Peaks doesn't mean they aren't there.

it was an elevator full of blood, stop reading into it feg

Gaping mouth

Attached: bearelevator.jpg (2438x1940, 2.44M)

This

just because you spent years convincing yourself that it means something doesn't mean that it does

drenchrome from the old in out in out

The themes? Like, you mean what the show is actually about, not stupid 1-to-1 symbolism?

It doesn't have different eyes, you can see the crease on the fucking fabric for fuck sake

The hotel was in it's period.

Aunt Flo coming to visit

The blood of dead Indians, Isn't that common knowledge by now?

You're retarded

indians didn't have elevators

no, you're just blind
the eyes are the same

The hotel is built on top of an Indian burial ground and weird shit is seeping out.

>dude every single frame actually means this one singular thing and nothing else lmao
absolute mental midgets all of you

films are not puzzles which you have to put together in a certain kind of way to "get" them

Why do you have a problem with bothering to comprehend what's presented on screen?

thats true for tark or bunuel not for kubrick

Trio of dummies here

I smell something in this thread... Something... Subversive.

what you get from it is far more important than whatever the author intended, no matter who is the author

>thats true for tark
Not with Solaris where it diverges from the book's ending and the main character gets lost in his own nostalgia.

ffs stop it with this shit, it just confuses people

what about the anuses that think this movie is an admisison that he helped fake the moon landing? That is not as valid an interpretation as whatever his authorial intent genuinely was.

What did it mean?

i agree generally speaking, but you can still analyze anything in a movie with that attitude. like what if youre right and kubrick simply put that scene in because its spooky, OP can still get something out of overthinking it

It's scary and unsettling.

still many things are vague or more open to personal interpretations in his movies, especially in stalker or mirror (not so much in ar) i think

Ofcourse you can analyze it, what I'm saying is that pretending like there is just one "le message" from every frame is extremely juvenile as if Kubrick made a puzzle just for the epic underground Yea Forums(nel) hackers only to "get" it.

>>bloodiest movie ever

Name a movie with more blood?

I can think it's an admission of Kubrick actually being a tranny who cut off his penis and you can't do anything about it.

>more open to personal interpretations in his movies, especially in stalker
Yeah I agree. I prefered that one more and it stands on its own pretty well compared to Roadside Picnic.

Attached: the-shining-movie-dog-suit-mask-sex.png (800x500, 350K)

Evil Dead

yeah well thats true, but only brainlets think like that. its like people who try to solve rashomon

It's a haunted hotel that has been coated in the blood of the innocents and devours the insane to be part of it.
It's just there to show that this place has had some bad shit happen.

Dead native Americans

It's literally the opposite. Go watch Rob Ager pleb

>yfw you notice the thing behind the blood in the elevator

Attached: nope.gif (500x361, 381K)

PARTY ROCKERS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT

What are you on about?

Gleaned this from the 1997 series.
>Mommy?
>Yeah.
>What's “Redrum“?
>Red drum?
>Not drum. Rum. Redrum.
>I don't know. Sounds like something a pirate might drink. Why?
>It was just something I saw on TV.
And then there's this...
>Pirates is a 1986 Franco-Tunisian adventure comedy film written by Gérard Brach, John Brownjohn, and Roman Polanski and directed by Polanski.
>Originally, Polanski intended for Jack Nicholson to play the central role of Captain Thomas Bartholomew Red, a grizzled old pirate, and Polanski himself would play Red's sidekick. Then complications arose partially due to the enormous fees Nicholson was demanding. (According to Polanski, when Nicholson was asked what exactly he wanted, he replied, "I want more.") [8]
Not sure what to make of any of it. Might need to give it a few weeks to let this one forment before drawing any conclusions.

Attached: 1559951113607.jpg (640x594, 24K)

Ichi The Killer

There's something that flops out of the elevator with all the blood.
No one is sure what it is, but that's one of those scenes where he famously did a retarded amount of takes until he was happy.
It's creepy as fuck once you see it.

Attached: spooky scary skelletons.gif (250x257, 539K)

red room
red room
over there

agar-agar yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=t7-GKHM5HZ8

this. even before i watched his videos it was fairly obvious to me that kubrick had no interest in making a traditional supernatural horror film. same thing with 2001, its only a movie about aliens on the surface

Looks like some stage hand got sacrificed to the movie gods.

They'd have to be a roight midge though.
Those elevators only went up to Kubrick's knees.

Then it's probably some gelatin or some shit like that.

Rob Ager is a joke. Go watch Room 237 pleb

It's nothing, again. Those kubrickfags are braindead.

vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/the-hidden-and-not-so-hidden-messages-in-stanley-kubriks-eyes-wide-shut-pt-i/

this is how you and other Rob Ager-like analysts appear to people who aren't crazy

Wave of evil washing over your inhibitions.

Dead Alive

>Room 237
literally redit tier garbage
i bet you loved zeitgeist and michael moore bullshit too lmao

>the white man's bourbon
lol

Half the imagery people point out is described in the book.

Attached: dopey2.jpg (1196x567, 96K)

OH FUCK time to write a 60 page dissertation on abuse.

I told you to watch it becuase it's full of idiots like you who assign bullshit significance to every part of the production

I don't know what zeitgeist is and I've never seen a moore film. I literally don't know what reddit-tier is supposed to mean except that I guess you think you're better than them...

>Name a movie with more blood?
Prince of Egypt.

Anyone else here /go0f/pilled?

Attached: goofy2.jpg (1800x1300, 359K)

>reddit spaces
>assumes i'm the user shilling ager
yep, looks like you're gonna have to go back to redit kiddo

what are reddit spaces?

>if I pretend to be retarded I will win this argument!
Just leave or use a trip so I can filter your dumbass posts

>calling someone out for reddit spacing
>argument
Reddit spacing is the thing you say when you don't have any arguments to refute the person you're fighting with, user.

can you make a single fucking post without the word "literally"?
millenials are such waste of space little puddin' heads

the gap between your legs where your dick used to be tranny

This. "Literally" has to be the literally most over-used buzzword right now.

It was a mistake.

The blood was supposed to get off on the second floor.

>buzzword
buzzword is an over used buzzword

It was done on such a small-scale that the movement of the liquid, imagining it as full-size, would make you think something is there. The same way water from a hose or even bottle looks like it has a solid shape.

Is this a nod to the actresses goofy fucked up teeth?

"this" is more overused, literally kys

you are literally a faggot

this

you're not even replying to the same person in those 3 posts. you have dementia old man go take your meds and literally fuck off

Kubrick to me just liked to fuck with people. That's why Eyes Wide Shut was attractive to him, he was able to fuck with the conspiracy schizos. The Shining was him getting to play with the horror genre. Full Metal Jacket was him playing with the war movie genre.
He was just one of those "on the autism spectrum" filmmakers, like Lucas, who wanted and got full creative control of his movies, and peppered them with little details and symbolism, because he liked that kind of shit. He wasn't trying to "woke" anyone, he was just enjoying himself. EWS is a blue bug light for schizos, sure, but there's no "message" there.
I view Kubricks films like I view the schizos here - fun to watch, but don't take them too seriously.

Nah, i think he changed the eyes. Kubrick loved shit like that. It doesn't "mean" anything, he threw all kinds of shit like that in. I'd bet you find all kinds of shit like that in Full Metal Jacket, too. Kubrick liked to fuck with people.

Is it me or is there something falling out of the elevator among all the blood?

t. moron

A’s what? Post pic of stock version.

triggered brainlet boomers
>but "I was like" and "literally" are my go-to phrases
no chance of have sex, so
make wank

Is that Bush?

Why is he a moron? The Shining is a ghost story. Stephen King wrote it as one, and Kubrick filmed it as one.

Serious question: during the scene when Jack chops into the bathroom door, he only breakd through the right panel, after which he says the Heres Johnny line. A few second later Hollaran shows up in the SnowCat and Jack is shown looking away from the door. Behind him out of focus you can see that both the right AND the left panels have been destroyed.

When the fuck did he chop into the left panel??

I would be willing to bet its most likely a plastic sheet or bag of some kind used by the prop people to hold the blood before releasing it as the door opens.

clean up in aisle 3 haha

IQ > 185 post

When you think about it, Jack's job as caretaker was pretty much a wagie janny.

Attached: 1535724398961.png (568x653, 260K)

In the footage Kubrick left on the cutting room floor.

What the fuck is so special about indian burial grounds anyways and why did king have a hardon for them, jesus christ.

It was just a creepy visual.

I dont know why I laughed so hard at this

King is a limited writer
he overdoes childhood tropes like any hack of a writer does
The Stand is his "masterpiece", it is a 6/10 novel
user if you had waited a fraction more of a second before mashing submit...

the redrum symbolizes the russian bots interfering with US elections

It's a shitty plot device for any spooky thing that happens. King is a hack so he uses it all the time.

this
maybe kubrick should have tried adapting some REAL literature

Attached: sweden.jpg (1229x887, 264K)

I'd say he's more a lazy author. There is endless amounts of material to use in supernatural stories, but he either falls back on New England "muh indian burial ground" level nonsense, or makes up lore that's lazy and uninteresting. Once he started to explain shit, like in Insomnia, I just lost all interest. Salem's Lot works because he doesn't try to shoehorn into it why vampires exist, or Carrie, he doesn't try to explain why telekinesis exists. If he wrote either now, he'd spend half the book with boring "lore" about how they came to be. King just isn't a good world builder. He just tells campfire level scary stories.

it symbolizes that a lot of people have died in there and their ghosts are still in there
see? not hard

it’s just supposed to spook you

Attached: hedgemaze.jpg (2800x2200, 1.36M)